What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

Not a fan of this team, but boy they look awfully good. And this is team that just lost 3 of the top 5 NFL draft picks! They look nearly unbeatable.

Lol at "expert picks."

So many people picked FSU as a trendy pick based on last weeks OU game and FSU having the new coach and their thumping of powerhouse Samford.

OU is 67-2 under Stoops at home coming into this game having beaten a lot better teams than FSU over the years. What made the "experts" think FSU would come in and pull an upset? Even the books were picking FSU to cover, I don't get it.

I told my buddy jplvr :( OU would win by at least 17, FSU might have their day next year...they were not ready for Norman today.

OU head coach on injured freshman running back Brennan Clay:

“Everything so far has checked out well. When he left the field he was responsive… He was moving everything… When he left in the ambulance for further tests he had a big smile on his face and he was talking. They just want to make sure they’re not missing anything.”
Good to hear, hopefully he is back at practice soon enough.

Doctor Detroit said:
Marmalade said:
Why can't OU get a kicker? Really a top ten nearly every year and we get #### at kicker year end and year out!
Well a lot of college programs have this problem. I think I'll take a great punter over a good kicker any day.
I don't know why I hadn't noticed this with other teams before last week. I guess it's because I really don't pay much attention to FGs until they mean something late in the game.But I paid more attention last week, and again this week, and there are A LOT of teams out there that have kickers shanking kicks all over the place. It's like FGs seemed to be almost automatic, then all of a sudden, they have all lost it.

Over the years, they went from kicking off a three-inch tee, to a one-inch tee, to no tee. What, are they kicking out of a divot now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to see the 9/11 Florida State game. My first Sooner game. Can't wait
I'll be in town for that game as well. Really wish it was a night game. Let me know if you have any questions about Norman, what to do, etc.
It was an awesome experience, the crowd was great and pleasant to the visiting fans unlike some of the East Coast college games I go to. I went with a bunch of FSU alumni and they were really impressed. I almost exrtended my stay so I could stay to watch my Sooners take on my Dad's alma mater. My old man says that the Air Force has some pre game and halftime excitement planned. Should be cool to see.Boomer

Oklahoma fans salute Air Force before Saturday's football game By Berry Tramel Oklahoman Comment on this article 25Published: September 18, 2010NORMAN -- A strange thing happened at Owen Field on Saturday. The visiting team ran out onto the field to a standing ovation.The scoreboard sing-a-long ends the National Anthem with a question mark before the college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the Air Force Falcons at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010, in Norman, Okla. Photo by Steve Sisney, The OklahomanAfter a national anthem that concluded with a definitely-muted "Sooners!", OU's video board ran a short Air Force tribute, followed by a request from Sooner coach Bob Stoops to stand and cheer the Falcons, for "tomorrow these brave cadets will be defending our freedom."The crowd of 85,000-plus complied.Earlier in the week, Stoops had asked fans to sing "brave" instead of "Sooners," which had become an OU tradition in the last decade.The sound of "Sooners" was definitely muted compared to past games.Retired Lt. Col. Alan Bonner, an Idabel native, OU grad and former Air Force band conductor, served as guest conductor as student Kevin Wright sang "The Star-Spangled Banner."Also, the OU fans cheered when the Pride of Oklahoma played Air Force's fight song, "Off We Go," some 15 minutes before game time. And the flyover of four Air Force jets, F-15 Eagles, during the anthem thrilled the crowd.Otherwise, it was business as usual. OU made no other special announcements concerning its desire to sing the anthem straight. The public-address announcer made the same request to honor the brave as he did last week against Florida State, when despite the remembrance of 9/11, "SOONERS!" rang out in place of "brave" at the end of the song.
As an Air Force guy, and Sooner fan this is awesome. :goodposting: to the fans today, well played.

Glad that's over. That offense is a serious pain in the ###. Landy has got to be more accurate under pressure.

Has Air Force commented on the special treatment? Namely the cadets? We cheered Tulane onto the field as we played them while they were displaced by a hurricane scare (not Katrina). They took offense to it. Then, before the Penn State game, Saban asked fans not to boo JoePa. We ended up cheering him off at halftime and he eventually commented that, "he was here to win a football game, not on some sort of farewell tour." I like the gestures in a sense, but I think they backfire more than they show respect. It might make you feel better, but from what I've seen when we do it, it actually has the opposite reaction from the intended targets.

When are we (Alabama) going to get another home and home set-up?

Has Air Force commented on the special treatment? Namely the cadets? We cheered Tulane onto the field as we played them while they were displaced by a hurricane scare (not Katrina). They took offense to it. Then, before the Penn State game, Saban asked fans not to boo JoePa. We ended up cheering him off at halftime and he eventually commented that, "he was here to win a football game, not on some sort of farewell tour." I like the gestures in a sense, but I think they backfire more than they show respect. It might make you feel better, but from what I've seen when we do it, it actually has the opposite reaction from the intended targets.When are we (Alabama) going to get another home and home set-up?
Probably not for a while. OU has home and homes with Notre Dame, LSU, Tennessee and Ohio State the next several seasons.

I really don't understand why more college don't run the wishbone. Even with the talent that the AFA has it was trouble for the sooners. I couldn't imagine what a "really good" team could do with that offense. Wonder why teams quit running it? Did defenses catch up with it?

Glad that game is over, it made the defense look silly at times.

Oh, and can whoever is airing the Oklahoma games please quit showing replays/cheerleaders/fans/band/Boomer & Sooner when OU is running their hurry up offense. I hate that we miss so many plays because the broadcast team doesn't realize what is happening.

Has Air Force commented on the special treatment? Namely the cadets? We cheered Tulane onto the field as we played them while they were displaced by a hurricane scare (not Katrina). They took offense to it. Then, before the Penn State game, Saban asked fans not to boo JoePa. We ended up cheering him off at halftime and he eventually commented that, "he was here to win a football game, not on some sort of farewell tour." I like the gestures in a sense, but I think they backfire more than they show respect. It might make you feel better, but from what I've seen when we do it, it actually has the opposite reaction from the intended targets.When are we (Alabama) going to get another home and home set-up?
I think it's pretty lame as a visiting team to take offense to a positive reception from the home crowd. Don't go play at Nebraska if that bothers you. With Tinker in OKC there are a lot of Air Force people in the area. I think not doing the "Home of the Sooners" stuff is a little much but I'm not surprised that they were cheered. JoePa is an old curmudgeon, I could see him taking offense, especially since they were getting destroyed at halftime. Tulane players taking offfense to that is weird.

I really don't understand why more college don't run the wishbone. Even with the talent that the AFA has it was trouble for the sooners. I couldn't imagine what a "really good" team could do with that offense. Wonder why teams quit running it? Did defenses catch up with it? Glad that game is over, it made the defense look silly at times.
Switzer was interviewed several times this week and talked about it during the game. The kids want a high flying, throw it around the field offense and coaches know that it would restrict their job opportunities.I also think it takes a very disciplined team to run it well and it's hard to put together a team like that. The service academies are the perfect teams to run it.But I do miss it. When OU ran it with great athletes, it was a thing of beauty.

Has Air Force commented on the special treatment? Namely the cadets? We cheered Tulane onto the field as we played them while they were displaced by a hurricane scare (not Katrina). They took offense to it. Then, before the Penn State game, Saban asked fans not to boo JoePa. We ended up cheering him off at halftime and he eventually commented that, "he was here to win a football game, not on some sort of farewell tour." I like the gestures in a sense, but I think they backfire more than they show respect. It might make you feel better, but from what I've seen when we do it, it actually has the opposite reaction from the intended targets.

Well a lot of it was obviously planned, they had a flyover of the C-17 and F-15s. For the Air Force it's good PR as we are concerned about the perception of the force, not the Academy football team when we have events like this. 85k Sooner fans, regional TV and a healthy AF presence in the area make this an easy sell and people come away with a sense of pride for country. It's not free, taxpayers paid for that flyover and they pay for those cadets to be on the field vs OU so showing the return is important. I think rooting for all the service academies is a good thing, as long as they aren't playing OU. :thumbup: This is a special on Academy football that gives an inside look at what it is to be a cadet playing football at the academy.

Troy Calhoun is a great young coach, he could coach anywhere but as an Academy guy himself...I think he's right at home. If they can beat Navy I think they could win 10 games as I think they'll beat one of Utah or TCU. This team is no joke, they run that offense exactly like it should be run and their defense is very solid.

I really don't understand why more college don't run the wishbone. Even with the talent that the AFA has it was trouble for the sooners. I couldn't imagine what a "really good" team could do with that offense. Wonder why teams quit running it? Did defenses catch up with it? Glad that game is over, it made the defense look silly at times. Oh, and can whoever is airing the Oklahoma games please quit showing replays/cheerleaders/fans/band/Boomer & Sooner when OU is running their hurry up offense. I hate that we miss so many plays because the broadcast team doesn't realize what is happening.
it's the way football goes....when everyone runs it it becomes easier to defend since you have more practice time to prepare. when there are only a few teams running it and you don't practice against it except for the week leading up to the game, then, at times, it makes you look silly trying to defend it...

Well a lot of it was obviously planned, they had a flyover of the C-17 and F-15s. For the Air Force it's good PR as we are concerned about the perception of the force, not the Academy football team when we have events like this. 85k Sooner fans, regional TV and a healthy AF presence in the area make this an easy sell and people come away with a sense of pride for country. It's not free, taxpayers paid for that flyover and they pay for those cadets to be on the field vs OU so showing the return is important. I think rooting for all the service academies is a good thing, as long as they aren't playing OU. :) This is a special on Academy football that gives an inside look at what it is to be a cadet playing football at the academy.

I think it's cool. I thought it was cool when we did it for the displaced Tulane team. Then they had comments like, "We're here to play football, not for people to show pity for us." That's a little different than respecting a service academy, I guess, but I was still kind of annoyed and developed a disdain for the practice.Then, the week of the Penn State game, Saban went on a rant about booing the opposing team when they ran out of the tunnel and said, "It'd be a (bleeping) shame if we (bleeping) boo'd a coach like Joe Paterno when he ran out of the tunnel" which our fans starting taking too far, wanting to cheer their team onto the field as well. Teams run onto the field at about the same time these days unless your coach is Lane Kiffin who likes to play the heel role, asking to be boo'd. Penn State came onto the field at the exact same time as Alabama. They put the cameras on JoePa as he went into the tunnel at halftime and while he praised the reception they received that weekend, he did have that one comment about being annoyed by the cheering.

I just popped in here to see what everyone was saying about the play of the team so far, but found it interesting you had something similar to what has been discussed around Tuscaloosa this season and wondered if the response to the gesture might have been similar. I wouldn't expect it to from a place like Air Force, where they know how to be respectful of respect, but I didn't expect the reactions from Tulane or JoePa either. Sorry to break off on a tangent in here.

Even though I don't want our fans to talk about cheering another team onto the field again for any reason, I'd make an exception for Army, Navy, or Air Force. I'd even participate in those instances. I don't boo anyway, unless it's Auburn or Tennessee.

Alabama has Penn State away next year, Michigan in Dallas (Jerry World) to open the following season, and will be in the Georgia Dome to open up the season which will coincide with the move of the CFB HOF in Atlanta for 2013. They're trying to get Notre Dame to play in that game, but they supposedly already have a pretty stacked schedule on the front end, probably playing OU as well that year from the sound of it. I don't know if Alabama has anything else after that, but I'd like to see OU on the far out schedule somewhere again, even if it was 2020.

One more question: Why to Texas fans get all butthurt about people throwing the "horns down" sign? It's just taking something the opposing team does and doing the opposite. I don't get why I hear things like "sign of disrespect" and I even tried locking down an explanation from some guys in Pasadena, not that I was planning to do it myself, but they just mumbled some stuff about symbols and what not.

I really don't understand why more college don't run the wishbone. Even with the talent that the AFA has it was trouble for the sooners. I couldn't imagine what a "really good" team could do with that offense. Wonder why teams quit running it? Did defenses catch up with it? Glad that game is over, it made the defense look silly at times. Oh, and can whoever is airing the Oklahoma games please quit showing replays/cheerleaders/fans/band/Boomer & Sooner when OU is running their hurry up offense. I hate that we miss so many plays because the broadcast team doesn't realize what is happening.
it's the way football goes....when everyone runs it it becomes easier to defend since you have more practice time to prepare. when there are only a few teams running it and you don't practice against it except for the week leading up to the game, then, at times, it makes you look silly trying to defend it...
It's tough to play the triple option with only a week to prepare. It's the perfect offense for Air Force and Navy to run because it requires discipline they already have to run it, and it takes discipline lots of other teams don't have to defend against it. Still, the reason I wanted no part of Paul Johnson when we were looking for a coach in 2006 was because of recruiting and the fact that opposing teams have a month to prepare for you before a bowl game. If he ever left or you had to fire him, it would take several years to fix the mismatched roster you'd have in trying to go back to a I-backfield, Pro Style, or Spread offense. I am surprised schools like Vandy and Duke don't run this type of offense as a rule as well.

Marmalade said:
Well it only took 15 minutes before game day brought up Oklahoma/Boise St. BCS game. Will that game ever die?
BSU will be sucking the teat of that game even after it drifts back into obscurity.

Alabama has Penn State away next year, Michigan in Dallas (Jerry World) to open the following season, and will be in the Georgia Dome to open up the season which will coincide with the move of the CFB HOF in Atlanta for 2013. They're trying to get Notre Dame to play in that game, but they supposedly already have a pretty stacked schedule on the front end, probably playing OU as well that year from the sound of it. I don't know if Alabama has anything else after that, but I'd like to see OU on the far out schedule somewhere again, even if it was 2020.
Don't forget the home-and-home with Michigan State in '16 and '17...if the ACC/Atlanta games work out for '13 and '14...'15 would be the only free year to play OU. I want another home and home...would love to make the trek to Norman this time.

Anyone coming for the game tomorrow or are you already tailgaiting for UT?
I wish they would have played in Cincy next year, I would have went because I'll be living in Maryland. I like Cincinnati, only city in Ohio worth visiting.
OU football: Beautiful downtown CincinnatiPosted by berrytramelon September 25, 2010M at 2:08 pmI’m sitting in vacant Paul Brown Stadium, three hours before kickoff, and this is quite a sight. Game day in downtown Cincinnati. OU fans flooding the streets. Cincy fans in abundance, too.We just ate lunch at Skyline Chili, one of the two landmark places I’m told you have to go while in Cincy. I had the five-way chili — chili, beans, spaghetti, onions and beans — with a Greek salad. Very good. Friday, we ate at the other landmark, the Montgomery Inn, a renowned barbeque joint. It was very good, too, though no better than the best BBQ in Oklahoma.It’s a pristine day in Ohio; hardly a cloud in the sky, 72 degrees, just gorgeous. And Paul Brown Stadium is totally cool. It sits hard by the Ohio River, just a few blocks down from the Reds’ Great American Ballpark.Paul Brown is what a football stadium ought to be. No roof. No outer-space television hanging above the field. An open-air stadium that is more open on the ends. To the north, the Cincy skyline rises in view. To the south, the majestic Roebling Suspension Bridge, one of several bridges that cross the Ohio River into downtown Cincinnati.Paul Brown Stadium’s seats are all green — Great American Ballpark’s are all red — and it is a triple deck stadium that seems to have very few bad seats.This is the Bengals’ home stadium, of course, and the end zones are both adorned with “BENGALS” and a bengal tiger is at midfield, one of the sharper 50-yard line logos in the NFL.They are talking as many as 60,000 fans tonight in the 65,000-seat stadium, which would be a great crowd for the Bearcats, who play at 35,000-seat Nippert Stadium on their campus. Cincinnati’s only other game at Paul Brown Stadium came against Ohio State in 2002. Paul Brown Stadium opened in 2000.

Landry just threw a ball 40 yards over the head of the attended receiver. That is correct 40 yards over the head of the receiver. WOW!

And then Landry goes for 13 straight completions. With a TD pass. Will the real Jones please stand up. OOF

I still don't understand why OU cannot find an average FG kicker.
I think Stevens is probably average, maybe a little below. Again, a lot of teams have trouble finding kickers at this level so when you get one who is consistent, you appreciate it. Decent start to the game, OU defense put in a bad spot for that Cincy TD.

####### horrible officiating so far. That first down spot was a yard off if not more, the interference was shaky and they missed the chop block the Cincy Qb handed out during the interference play. :yes:

If pass interference is waived off when the pass is tipped why wouldn't pass interference be waived off when the ball is intercepted?

Oh, yeah. OU is stinking it up right now.

Kenny Stills is going to be one of the greatest WRs in OU history when its all said and done. This guy is the real deal, holy crap he's good. :)

No killer instinct. The players still haven't learned that teams don't roll over just because OU gets up more than a TD.

No killer instinct. The players still haven't learned that teams don't roll over just because OU gets up more than a TD.
Completely agree with this. They've had several opportunities to put this away and thankfully Cincy has been sloppy with the ball.They better put this in the endzone.

Users who are viewing this thread