What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

The Hammer out for the year :thumbdown:

WACO, Texas — Oklahoma’s 45-38 loss to Baylor was marred by another injury to an All-American caliber player. Defensive end Ronnell Lewis injured his left knee midway through the second quarter. The injury occurred on Kendall Wright’s 55-yard catch and run that set up Terrance Ganaway’s 15-yard touchdown run two plays later. Lewis was in street clothes and wearing a knee brace in the second half.

OU coach Bob Stoops said Lewis suffered a sprained MCL. The injury will not require surgery, but he is expected to miss the Sooners’ final two regular season games.

Stills moves to slot

Freshman wide receiver Kameel Jackson moved into a starting role Saturday night. It was his first career start, but he didn’t really play in place of Ryan Broyles.

Jackson was used as an outside receiver. Kenny Stills played the slot receiver spot when the Sooners were in three-receiver sets. He finished the night with six catches for 75 yards. Jackson had two catches for 24.

The Sooners’ leading receiver was Jaz Reynolds with seven catches for 114 yards. Tight end James Hanna also had his most productive night of the season with four catches for 90 yards.

Penalty yards

OU entered the game averaging 44.9 penalty yards a game. The Sooners had 45 yards worth halfway through the first quarter and finished with a season high nine for 90 yards.

Record night for Griffin

Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III set a Baylor record with 479 passing yards and 551 yards of total offense.

Big night for Alexander

Hard to believe that the Sooners had a defensive player play at a high level, but they did. Defensive end Frank Alexander bolstered his case for Big 12 defensive player of the year Saturday night. The senior had a sack and 3.5 tackles for loss.

The sack moved him into a tie with Aubrey Beavers (1990-93) for seventh place on OU’s all-time list with 20-5. The tackles for loss put him at eighth place in the program’s history with 42.

Bell bulldozes into record book

Redshirt freshman quarterback Blake Bell rushed for four touchdowns in the short-yardage package OU has designed for him. The four touchdowns matched the program record for a Sooner quarterback set by J.C. Watts in 1980.

Bell now has seven rushing touchdowns this season.

Light crowd

Hard to believe Baylor’s had a bigger win in the last 25 years than the one it picked up Saturday. The odd part was there was only 40,281 in attendance Saturday night, with at least 35 percent of them cheering for OU. Floyd Casey Stadium seats 50,000.

Streak ends

Baylor’s victory over the Sooners was its first in the program’s history. The Bears had lost all 20 of the previous meetings. It also marked the Bears’ first victory over a top 5 teams since it beat then third-ranked USC in 1985.
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bc8pq

That timeout will never be forgotten, what a #######.
:goodposting: Embarrassing
The embarrassing thing is the defense. A timeout is not the problem.
IF our defense is going to be mediocre maybe OU needs to run more of a pro style offense and give the defense a rest. The hurry up really puts the defense on the field for a long time, which is not a strong point. Last night giving up 50 yard passing plays over and over I started feeling sorry for the secondary. Either the secondary is coached poorly, or the players are not very good. Either way those players in the secondary have had a long year of getting torched. Bedlam tickets have plummeted since yesterday. Just venting. Baylor and Texas Tech WTF!!!
Dude, you're not making much sense. The mistakes the defense was making saturday night had nothing to do with being on the field for a long time, or the coaches. They screwed up in every quarter. The linebackers had tunnel-vision and the secondary left their responsibilities, especially the safeties, and particularly Javon Harris. Stoops coaches the secondary, even when there's a designated DB coach, and he's forged very efficient units for most of the last twelve years. If you watch the game, you see the players making mistakes, and it's reflected in Stoops's expressions too.Javon Harris was finally pulled in the fourth (after spending most of the game chasing Baylor receivers), then his replacement Sam Proctor gives up the game-winner. Just pathetic. Tony Jefferson is a stud, but he's forced to backup the linebackers, and it leaves OU with the worst group of deep safeties of any top 15 team, Colvin being the only bright spot. The Tech game was a similar story, but with key injuries to boot. I see OSU's route combinations destroying OU's safeties next week, but maybe the Sooners' offense can out-score them. After all, The Pokes have 8 Javon Harris's on defense ;)

The good news from this season is that Josh Heupel, as a first-year coordinator, called great plays for the most part, not to mention his implementation of the unstoppable Blake Bell. Injuries suck, but young guys are getting experience because of them, and the offense has looked great all year. I hope they match up well in their bowl game.

That timeout will never be forgotten, what a #######.
:goodposting: Embarrassing
The embarrassing thing is the defense. A timeout is not the problem.
IF our defense is going to be mediocre maybe OU needs to run more of a pro style offense and give the defense a rest. The hurry up really puts the defense on the field for a long time, which is not a strong point. Last night giving up 50 yard passing plays over and over I started feeling sorry for the secondary. Either the secondary is coached poorly, or the players are not very good. Either way those players in the secondary have had a long year of getting torched. Bedlam tickets have plummeted since yesterday. Just venting. Baylor and Texas Tech WTF!!!
Dude, you're not making much sense. The mistakes the defense was making saturday night had nothing to do with being on the field for a long time, or the coaches. They screwed up in every quarter. The linebackers had tunnel-vision and the secondary left their responsibilities, especially the safeties, and particularly Javon Harris. Stoops coaches the secondary, even when there's a designated DB coach, and he's forged very efficient units for most of the last twelve years. If you watch the game, you see the players making mistakes, and it's reflected in Stoops's expressions too.Javon Harris was finally pulled in the fourth (after spending most of the game chasing Baylor receivers), then his replacement Sam Proctor gives up the game-winner. Just pathetic. Tony Jefferson is a stud, but he's forced to backup the linebackers, and it leaves OU with the worst group of deep safeties of any top 15 team, Colvin being the only bright spot. The Tech game was a similar story, but with key injuries to boot. I see OSU's route combinations destroying OU's safeties next week, but maybe the Sooners' offense can out-score them. After all, The Pokes have 8 Javon Harris's on defense ;)

The good news from this season is that Josh Heupel, as a first-year coordinator, called great plays for the most part, not to mention his implementation of the unstoppable Blake Bell. Injuries suck, but young guys are getting experience because of them, and the offense has looked great all year. I hope they match up well in their bowl game.
Proctor stinks, he always has. He's not a starter and shouldn't be on the field in key situations. Jefferson could play either safety position and did last year at a fairly elite level. He is such a ball hawk but I think they feel at SLB he can get to more plays (he's a starter not a back-up). I hope they move him back, he's an NFL safety and could be one of the best in CFB if they let him play where he is naturally inclined. Have him at FS, Colvin at SS and give Corey Nelson more time at the strong side which I think he can handle. Harris is usually ok, but he was terrible Saturday. Seems to have hurt his ankle at some point, but who knows. Travis Lewis has played hurt all year, Wort gets concussed every other week, Whaley and Broyles gone, Ronnell is out 2-3 weeks, Reynolds is probably gone for the last two games. It has been a brutal season for injuries. Jamarkus McFarland is one of the biggest disappointments I can remember, Peterson should be playing more and the defense as a whole has vastly underachieved after a very good start to the season. I think Wort being iffy, Lewis being hurt and Jefferson being moved have been the biggest culprits as this affects every thing else.

Heupel has done well but Landry Jones is too inconsistent. That has been the problem all year and I don't think this offense without Whaley is anywhere close to the one we had a year ago. Broyles out hurts too but this team's strongest position is probably WR, they can get by without him.

The timeout was terrible though, please don't even attempt to say that wasn't a horrible gaff based on how OU's secondary had played all night. Hurst wasn't very good either to be honest, only Fleming was decent in the Baylor game.

Baylor ran the ball, obviously intending to run the clock out. The OU staff, knowing they've been good at stopping Baylor's run, and also noting the potential field position, decided to try to get the ball back. The coaches can't predict that RG3 would have 20-yard running lanes twice in a row, getting out of bounds both times, and Proctor would go blind for a play. Sorry, but retrospect can't claim this one. Coach's have faith in their players. The timeout was a good call.

As far as Landry, can you explain where you see the inconsistencies, primarily?

Last edited by a moderator:
Baylor ran the ball, obviously intending to run the clock out. The OU staff, knowing they've been good at stopping Baylor's run, and also noting the potential field position, decided to try to get the ball back. The coaches can't predict that RG3 would have 20-yard running lanes twice in a row, getting out of bounds both times, and Proctor would go blind for a play. Sorry, but retrospect can't claim this one. Coach's have faith in their players. The timeout was a good call.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that point. The risk vs reward IMO doesn't add up. Baylor was content with taking the game into OT, and the way OU's defense had been playing all night why give Baylor the time to regroup. OH well, Stoops stands by his decision to try and get the ball back and maybe try a long FG. :lol: at least in O.T. the secondary doesn't have to cover any WR for more than 20 yards.

Oh, I think they could. On Jones, he's just not all that accurate and will have to work on that if he wants to be a starting NFL QB. He tends to throw balls high which also leads to interceptions and is tough in the red zone when you look for balls placed in a specific place. When he's hot he's really good, when he's not he's really bad. We saw some of each the past two years but this year we are seeing a lot more middling Landry. I'm not really a Landry critic who was unfairly compared to Sam Bradford, but he makes it tough to win close games because he'll throw a high one on a critical 3rd and 8.

I still am not convinced he goes pro but it looks like he'll be a top 15 pick, so I guess it is more likely than not. Blake Bell was rated the #1 NFL pro style QB by a few recruiting services coming out of HS for his class, he can certainly throw some too. Next year is setting up to be a bit rough but I think many of us are wanting to see what Bell can do as the full time QB.

When he's hot he's really good, when he's not he's really bad.
Ok, I may have agreed with this last season. He had a couple of awful games. But this year he hasn't been "really bad" at any point. The high throws are obviously still there (drives me ####### crazy), but he's had a great year, occasional inaccuracies included.

When he's hot he's really good, when he's not he's really bad.
Ok, I may have agreed with this last season. He had a couple of awful games. But this year he hasn't been "really bad" at any point. The high throws are obviously still there (drives me ####### crazy), but he's had a great year, occasional inaccuracies included.
You must have missed the Florida State game, the first half vs Kansas, the first half versus Techa Tech and the first half versus TAMU. Since I am accounting for experience and growth, he's been pretty bad IMO in those instances.

Landry's YPA:

FSU: 7.4

Kansas: 7.6

T-Tech: 7.5

TAMU: 6.6

His season average per attempt is 8.6, top five in the nation. It's a full yard better than last season, if you want to talk about "growth". His qb rating is also improved. I'll give you the A&M game, it was a full two yards low. But the other ones aren't "really bad" by any stretch. To call him really bad is exaggerating. Let's be real. At his best, he's near top of the class, at his worst, he's still very good. Bring it back down to Earth, man...

Landry's YPA:FSU: 7.4Kansas: 7.6T-Tech: 7.5TAMU: 6.6His season average per attempt is 8.6, top five in the nation. It's a full yard better than last season, if you want to talk about "growth". His qb rating is also improved. I'll give you the A&M game, it was a full two yards low. But the other ones aren't "really bad" by any stretch. To call him really bad is exaggerating. Let's be real. At his best, he's near top of the class, at his worst, he's still very good. Bring it back down to Earth, man...
:goodposting: So he's not Sam Bradford. But not many are.

Landry's YPA:FSU: 7.4Kansas: 7.6T-Tech: 7.5TAMU: 6.6His season average per attempt is 8.6, top five in the nation. It's a full yard better than last season, if you want to talk about "growth". His qb rating is also improved. I'll give you the A&M game, it was a full two yards low. But the other ones aren't "really bad" by any stretch. To call him really bad is exaggerating. Let's be real. At his best, he's near top of the class, at his worst, he's still very good. Bring it back down to Earth, man...
I said he was really bad in stretches, don't put words into my mouth. You took the full game results for those games, he was terrible in the FSU game regardless of his YPA. I think he's above average as a whole so please don't make this into a Landry hate debate, I don't hate him at all. But if you watched the first half against Kansas or the whole FSU game, he wasn't the player he can be. Those inconsistencies are the ones I spoke of. But by all means, please continue to enlighten me and talk me back down to earth. :thumbup:

I said he was really bad in stretches, don't put words into my mouth. You took the full game results for those games, he was terrible in the FSU game regardless of his YPA. I think he's above average as a whole so please don't make this into a Landry hate debate, I don't hate him at all. But if you watched the first half against Kansas or the whole FSU game, he wasn't the player he can be. Those inconsistencies are the ones I spoke of. But by all means, please continue to enlighten me and talk me back down to earth. :thumbup:
lol dude it's not a debate, it's a message board. I used full game results because they play full games at a time. They do count the entire game, whether you do or not. "terrible regardless of his YPA" lol please expound on this. I didn't put words in your mouth, you said "really bad" didn't you? You said it again in this post. Your words. I just pointed out how stupid it was to use those words.For the record, I've watched every snap of every OU game, and it's obvious to me Landry Jones is never "really bad". I'm laughing as I'm typing this, because I feel stupid for stating the obvious. I don't want to argue with you, but c'mon man... Landry Jones, even at the low points, is not a bad quarterback. Of all the things that have held OU back this year, he has not been one of them. OU fans know what it's like to have a quarterback with "really bad" streaks. See Nate Hybl. See Paul Thompson. Jones is outstanding.

He was asked about twice about Jefferson at safety and said, "he's done it before" and "I've thought of that, trust me." I also liked his explanation for the timeout saying he had the wind and one tackle short of a first down and time would have run out. Basically he thought Baylor had to get to about the 20 to win with a FG, I'm fine with that now. Sloppy game with penalties, bad secondary play (he harped on the RGIII scramble saying the flat defender left his spot where earlier in the game he stayed, and RGIII couldn't run around) and what seems like some immaturity on offense.

I said he was really bad in stretches, don't put words into my mouth.

You took the full game results for those games, he was terrible in the FSU game regardless of his YPA. I think he's above average as a whole so please don't make this into a Landry hate debate, I don't hate him at all. But if you watched the first half against Kansas or the whole FSU game, he wasn't the player he can be. Those inconsistencies are the ones I spoke of.

But by all means, please continue to enlighten me and talk me back down to earth. :thumbup:
lol dude it's not a debate, it's a message board. I used full game results because they play full games at a time. They do count the entire game, whether you do or not. "terrible regardless of his YPA" lol please expound on this. I didn't put words in your mouth, you said "really bad" didn't you? You said it again in this post. Your words. I just pointed out how stupid it was to use those words.

For the record, I've watched every snap of every OU game, and it's obvious to me Landry Jones is never "really bad". I'm laughing as I'm typing this, because I feel stupid for stating the obvious. I don't want to argue with you, but c'mon man... Landry Jones, even at the low points, is not a bad quarterback. Of all the things that have held OU back this year, he has not been one of them. OU fans know what it's like to have a quarterback with "really bad" streaks. See Nate Hybl. See Paul Thompson. Jones is outstanding.
I said "at times" which means parts of any game, I'm not really sure what else to say. If you've watched every snap I'm guessing you took a nap for a few drives in the Kansas, Techa Tech and FSU games. He's not perfect and I'm fine with that.Also YPA is a dumb argument for this offense with all the big plays they produce. Jones completed passes of 38, 37, 22, 17. That's 114 yards of 199 yards passing on four completions. They had four punts where the offense totaled 24 yards and two interceptions. I would venture to say by any objective evaluation that those weren't good drives, some might even say they were really bad drives. Semantics. I can find similar instances in the other games but won't, this is a fruitless endeavor. Landry is a very good QB and I think he's neat.

Ok, since we've run away all the trolls and can concentrate on the task at hand...here are a couple of talking points.

-How good is the running game going to be next year with Whaley, Finch, Millard and Williams?

-What are some quick fixes in the secondary? With Fleming as the only real strong suit why would Stoops not move Jefferson to FS? Seems to me that he may have not only wanted to move him to SSLB because of Jefferson's unique skills but also because he assumed Harris could handle the spot and he could use Jefferson as essentially a nickleback playing close to the line of scrimmage.

-Stoops talks about more offensive packages for Bell. I think this option is going to be great especially with the playaction pass.

-Will Landry return? I'd say probably not, but I don't think it's any where near 100%.

-Will the current group of U receivers be the best ever or just the best ever thugs?

-Will the Sooners land Dorial Green-Beckham? His top four choices are Auburn, Arkansas, Texas and OU. Why would he go to Texas? So he can block?

-Frank Alexander: Beast or Beast?

-Who would you rather see the Sooners play in a bowl game? The SEC #3 at the Cotton Bowl or possibly the Big Ten #2 in the Fiesta Bowl?

-Who will be better? Trey Franks, Kemeel Jackson or Jaz Reynolds?

-Recruiting is concentrating on LB, O-line and CB. WR Trey Metoyer will be a true freshman and should make an immediate impact just adding to tremendous depth and QB Trevor Knight who I saw play a few times for SA Reagan is also coming. Knight can run, which seems to be the direction the program is going in. Rivals has nine of the 14 OU recruits at 4 stars and Metoyer at five stars. Not much help on the defensive line but the offensive line and secondary should get a nice boost from the incoming class. Still work to do at DB and they need to land one or two LBs.

-From this years class DT Marquis Anderson and DT Jordan Phillips will have to have an impact next year, at least one of them. The O-line brings back four starters next year but a lot of young guys over on that sideline will begin to emerge. They have stockpiled a lot of depth with this incoming class included.

So?

Ok, since we've run away all the trolls and can concentrate on the task at hand...here are a couple of talking points.-How good is the running game going to be next year with Whaley, Finch, Millard and Williams? -What are some quick fixes in the secondary? With Fleming as the only real strong suit why would Stoops not move Jefferson to FS? Seems to me that he may have not only wanted to move him to SSLB because of Jefferson's unique skills but also because he assumed Harris could handle the spot and he could use Jefferson as essentially a nickleback playing close to the line of scrimmage. -Stoops talks about more offensive packages for Bell. I think this option is going to be great especially with the playaction pass. -Will Landry return? I'd say probably not, but I don't think it's any where near 100%. -Will the current group of U receivers be the best ever or just the best ever thugs? -Will the Sooners land Dorial Green-Beckham? His top four choices are Auburn, Arkansas, Texas and OU. Why would he go to Texas? So he can block?-Frank Alexander: Beast or Beast?-Who would you rather see the Sooners play in a bowl game? The SEC #3 at the Cotton Bowl or possibly the Big Ten #2 in the Fiesta Bowl?-Who will be better? Trey Franks, Kemeel Jackson or Jaz Reynolds? -Recruiting is concentrating on LB, O-line and CB. WR Trey Metoyer will be a true freshman and should make an immediate impact just adding to tremendous depth and QB Trevor Knight who I saw play a few times for SA Reagan is also coming. Knight can run, which seems to be the direction the program is going in. Rivals has nine of the 14 OU recruits at 4 stars and Metoyer at five stars. Not much help on the defensive line but the offensive line and secondary should get a nice boost from the incoming class. Still work to do at DB and they need to land one or two LBs. -From this years class DT Marquis Anderson and DT Jordan Phillips will have to have an impact next year, at least one of them. The O-line brings back four starters next year but a lot of young guys over on that sideline will begin to emerge. They have stockpiled a lot of depth with this incoming class included. So?
Recruiting stuff:We're at the top for Dorial Green right now, but Arkansas is right there as well. I was told we're at about 65% on Green. I know a couple of the guys who do recruiting REALLY want him, but there's also some "voices of reason" among the staff that say if we're going to push hard at any given spot, WR ought to be last in line. I tend to agree.I think Jaz will be the best of those three. Something needs to click for Franks, I just don't see it yet.Metoyer's tape is insane. He pretty much just does whatever he wants every game. I'm excited even though, again, WR is the last place we need help.

Watching the OU game, and Iowa State is making OU's secondary look silly early. Doesn't seem that the Secondary learned anything last week. Upside early turnover created which lead to a FG.

Watching the OU game, and Iowa State is making OU's secondary look silly early. Doesn't seem that the Secondary learned anything last week. Upside early turnover created which lead to a FG.
More Corey Nelson and Tony Jeff please

More Corey Nelson please
Hopefully Iowa State keeps shooting itself in the foot. Williams looking pretty good early. BellDozer stopped earlier in the game, I can't remember another time he didn't just have his way with defense.

OOF! Was thinking Way should have kicked the ball out of the endzone.

Oh, and the turntables just gave up another TD! At this point it is :lmao:

Here's to a productive future for Blake Bell, I hope to see even more of the Cat when he's the starter. Only in short yards though. He's cringingly slow.I missed the second half, is it true Jefferson was lining up at DE?

OMG Brandon Williams sighting!
He's played in five of the last six games.

What was up with no Reynolds on Saturday? Is he supposed to play this weekend?
Oklahoma wide receiver Jaz Reynolds was suspended against Iowa State for a violation of team rules, but coach Bob Stoops said Reynolds should be back for the Bedlam game provided "things are right this week."That left the Sooners without Broyles AND Reynolds against the Cyclones, but with the bad weather, Oklahoma ended up relying on its ground game anyway.

Bad weather today. Rainy, cold, wind gusts. Should look like the "Game of the Century" with a low scoring game. SEC fans should love it!

What happened to Dejuan Miller? He was such a dependable receiver last yer before he got hurt and he's just been awful this year. Because of it he's been on the bench a lot. So they give him a chance tonight and he's dropped two key passes already. Just sit him down.

Tony Jefferson is playing safety tonight which hasn't helped as of now.

Users who are viewing this thread