What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (1 Viewer)

Working/living in the heart of OU country (not an OU/OSU fan, BTW) I expected at least one skirmish when one of my female engineers showed up in all purple.Instead I heard more complaints about Stoops. Is the godlen boy losing the fan base?
Every game the Sooners lose the radio is full of people wanting to fire Stoops. I think it all started with the back to back loses to OSU. Stoops also has a bad reputation of losing big games, or not getting his players ready for big games. It is what it is...who else are the Sooners going to get if they were to let him go?
44-20 vs ranked teams8-5 vs Texas10-3 vs Okie State78-4 at home7-6 in bowl games7-1 in Big XII Championship gamesLosing three National Championship games especially to those USC and Florida teams who were loaded, isn't the be all end all. Put that record up against anyone in the country and he comes out looking like a top five coach at worst.
Definitely. But it doesn't mean he can't improve.
No argument here.

He runs a clean program, self reports, is accountable and puts a great product on the field pretty much every year. I mean just put his record against anyone's over the past 15 years, only Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have had more success IMO.
Yeah, that. Don't forget that OU shouldn't be as good as they are. Texas and A&M have first crack at the Texas players, OSU has Pickens money and is real competition for the Oklahoma players... there really isn't any reason that OU should be this successful. Stoops has us a favorite for the Big 12 title and a contender for the national title pretty much every season.

Weird day in the Big 12... so do we now need for K St to lose twice?
No. Just need a three-way tie with us and K-State and have the higher BCS ranking.
Only way that could happen would be with Tech as the third team, seems pretty unlikely.
Still possible isn't it? K-State has a lot of tough games left, so do we. Big 12 is pretty tough top to bottom this year. I can see a logjam with a bunch of teams with two losses at this point.

No. Just need a three-way tie with us and K-State and have the higher BCS ranking.
Only way that could happen would be with Tech as the third team, seems pretty unlikely.
Still possible isn't it? K-State has a lot of tough games left, so do we. Big 12 is pretty tough top to bottom this year. I can see a logjam with a bunch of teams with two losses at this point.
I think multiple teams tied at two losses is infinitely more likely than us finishing in a three-way tie without kstate losing twice, which was the original question. Tech is not going to win out, not even close.

I think multiple teams tied at two losses is infinitely more likely than us finishing in a three-way tie without kstate losing twice, which was the original question. Tech is not going to win out, not even close.
That game was so much fun. Holy crap. Had seats right on the field, at the endzone. So awesome that OU gets the tunnel side of the field.Here's the thing: If one loss KState and one loss OU are tied for the Big 12 Title...who has the higher BCS ranking? Does one loss OU go to the National Championship over one loss KState, even though KState would be the Big 12 champs?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. They have lots of work to do before we start thinking about crap like that.
:goodposting: That loss was 100% on the coaches. Granted, ND was a hell of a lot better than I thought. But the OU players were good enough to win that one. ND had a better game plan. You cannot win big boy football without a running game. And OU didn't even try to establish the run. :thumbdown:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. They have lots of work to do before we start thinking about crap like that.
:goodposting: That loss was 100% on the coaches. Granted, ND was a hell of a lot better than I thought. But the OU players were good enough to win that one. ND had a better game plan. You cannot win big boy football without a running game. And OU didn't even try to establish the run. :thumbdown:
Bull#### they didn't try. They tried too much. We're there, constantly seeing us drive down the field throwing the ball, and then we start handing it off for 2 ####### yards at a time, kill a drive just before we get into field goal range (more than once) and punt. ND had no pass defense, and they bit HARD on play action even when we weren't running it that first drive. We went away from what worked.I agree - 100% on the coaches. No offensive creativity, no defensive creativity, ####ty playcalling....maybe just once or twice a game our DLine could try to stunt? ANYTHING to get some semblance of pressure on an opposing QB once in a while...#### - we may as well put Bell in now with the young receivers and get live-game practice for next season. I've only got one, MAYBE two years of cheap season tickets left...I want a flippin title.

That was a frustrating game to watch. I will say that ND looked much better than I had given them credit for.

WTF are we gonna do at QB? Bell doesn't seem like a full time option, but I haven't been able to see him actually play other than short yardage situations.

Bull#### they didn't try. They tried too much. We're there, constantly seeing us drive down the field throwing the ball, and then we start handing it off for 2 ####### yards at a time, kill a drive just before we get into field goal range (more than once) and punt. ND had no pass defense, and they bit HARD on play action even when we weren't running it that first drive. We went away from what worked.I agree - 100% on the coaches. No offensive creativity, no defensive creativity, ####ty playcalling....maybe just once or twice a game our DLine could try to stunt? ANYTHING to get some semblance of pressure on an opposing QB once in a while...#### - we may as well put Bell in now with the young receivers and get live-game practice for next season. I've only got one, MAYBE two years of cheap season tickets left...I want a flippin title.
Rushing once, not liking the result and then passing the next six downs isn't trying to establishing the run.

That was a frustrating game to watch. I will say that ND looked much better than I had given them credit for.WTF are we gonna do at QB? Bell doesn't seem like a full time option, but I haven't been able to see him actually play other than short yardage situations.
I think they'll be better the next two years with him the full time starter.

Rushing once, not liking the result and then passing the next six downs isn't trying to establishing the run.
We killed multiple drives trying to run multiple plays in a row when the pass was working. Not establishing the run has nothing to do with our team this year - it's a complete lack of any pressure on opposing QBs and no creativity on offense. Those wide screens are basically run plays anyhow - the issue I'm seeing is that we don't take any deep shots...it took us until garbage time at the very end of the game to complete a pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air...and Landry had only thrown like 1 other pass that deep in the game. We don't stretch the field...of course we aren't going to have room to run.Pass first, stretch the field, and then work draw plays. Also, not that it is related at all, but Demi Lovato is BUTCHERING the anthem before WS Game 4 right now. Ew.

We killed multiple drives trying to run multiple plays in a row when the pass was working. Not establishing the run has nothing to do with our team this year - it's a complete lack of any pressure on opposing QBs and no creativity on offense. Those wide screens are basically run plays anyhow - the issue I'm seeing is that we don't take any deep shots...it took us until garbage time at the very end of the game to complete a pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air...and Landry had only thrown like 1 other pass that deep in the game. We don't stretch the field...of course we aren't going to have room to run.Pass first, stretch the field, and then work draw plays. Also, not that it is related at all, but Demi Lovato is BUTCHERING the anthem before WS Game 4 right now. Ew.
It's like you didn't watch the game. ND's secondary was sitting deep allowing the short passing game to go. The WRs were blanketed when they tried to go deep so Landry took what he was given. That was ND's game plan. Let OU dink and dunk until they got into the RZ and hope for a few stops. And OU bought it hook, line and sinker. The way to counter it was run more so the safeties had to cheat up. And that never happened. The ND safeties never had to worry about the run game.

Bull#### they didn't try. They tried too much. We're there, constantly seeing us drive down the field throwing the ball, and then we start handing it off for 2 ####### yards at a time, kill a drive just before we get into field goal range (more than once) and punt. ND had no pass defense, and they bit HARD on play action even when we weren't running it that first drive. We went away from what worked.

I agree - 100% on the coaches. No offensive creativity, no defensive creativity, ####ty playcalling....maybe just once or twice a game our DLine could try to stunt? ANYTHING to get some semblance of pressure on an opposing QB once in a while...

#### - we may as well put Bell in now with the young receivers and get live-game practice for next season. I've only got one, MAYBE two years of cheap season tickets left...I want a flippin title.
We killed multiple drives trying to run multiple plays in a row when the pass was working. Not establishing the run has nothing to do with our team this year - it's a complete lack of any pressure on opposing QBs and no creativity on offense. Those wide screens are basically run plays anyhow - the issue I'm seeing is that we don't take any deep shots...it took us until garbage time at the very end of the game to complete a pass that traveled more than 20 yards in the air...and Landry had only thrown like 1 other pass that deep in the game. We don't stretch the field...of course we aren't going to have room to run.Pass first, stretch the field, and then work draw plays.

Also, not that it is related at all, but Demi Lovato is BUTCHERING the anthem before WS Game 4 right now. Ew.
It's like you didn't watch the game. ND's secondary was sitting deep allowing the short passing game to go. The WRs were blanketed when they tried to go deep so Landry took what he was given. That was ND's game plan. Let OU dink and dunk until they got into the RZ and hope for a few stops. And OU bought it hook, line and sinker. The way to counter it was run more so the safeties had to cheat up. And that never happened. The ND safeties never had to worry about the run game.
Funny, I feel the same way. They were deep, yes, but they were hugging the sidelines. The deep seam routes were constantly open and we never took advantage. And then when the ran some Cover 1, we had a couple opportunities for Brown to go one on one down the sideline if he could beat the press - except they had him run slants to the middle for 5-8 yard gains when there was no help over the top...

Ugh! Is all I can say after watching last night. Just when I think we have turned a corner to become a better team, OU craps the bed. At this point I think Stoops should take a lot more looks at Bell.

'BusterTBronco said:
Year in, year out. This is the most overrated team in college football.
:rolleyes: Year Preseason Final'10 7-6'08 4-5'07 8-8'06 10-11'04 2-3'03 1-3'02 2-5'01 3-6'00 19-1'99 NR-NROnly 4 out of 14 years has OU underperformed under Stoops.

Not a fan, but I admire them. The team I saw last night looked NOTHING like the team I watched play Texas. I admit I haven't seen much of them since. What happened?

Not a fan, but I admire them. The team I saw last night looked NOTHING like the team I watched play Texas. I admit I haven't seen much of them since. What happened?
Can't run the ball against a physical defense. Can't tackle in open space. Make the same mental mistakes over and over and over. Half time adjustments non-existent.And Texas just isn't that good right now.

Stills and Jefferson both leaving for the NFL. Millard already announced he's staying, nothing yet on Colvin.

ARLINGTON —

The Oklahoma Sooners weren’t above blaming each other for mistakes in a 41-13 loss to Texas A&M at the Cotton Bowl Classic Friday, but the bottom line was that nobody was good enough.

“In the second half, it totally broke down offensively and defensively,” said head coach Bob Stoops. “We had guys plenty of times in position to make a play, and we couldn’t make a play. They totally outplayed us in every way.”

It would be easy to criticize the defense, which allowed A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel to set a Cotton Bowl record with 516 yards of total offense, but which part of the defense?

“We were back there for seven or eight seconds at times,” said Sooners safety Javon Harris. “Sometimes they weren’t even running patterns. They went downfield and just started running around until they got open.”

So, then, maybe it was all about defensive pressure, maybe that’s where the Sooners broke down.

“I mean, if we went hard, he stepped around us, if we laid back, he had too much time,” defensive end Dave King said of Manziel. “I don’t think we were good on the first, second or third level.”

Stoops said that Manziel deserves a lot of the credit because he’s the best quarterback the Sooners have seen.

“Guys that do get a lot of pressure, he takes off running,” Stoops said. “If you’ve got an angle on him, he stops and goes the other way. If you don’t, he outruns you. Even when guys are in position, he is so quick and strong … he’s just hard to get to.”

All that said, the Sooners were only down 14-13 at halftime because the offense was controlling the ball. Oklahoma had 20 first downs, 51 plays run and 20:19 in time of possession in the first half, and that meant the Aggies weren’t on the field that much.

So what happened in the second half?

“They came at us with a three-man front, just like Notre Dame did,” said center Gabe Ikard. “We didn’t handle it well enough.”

In fact, you could say the lack of offense in the second half led directly to the meltdown of the defense.

“We didn’t play the way we should,” said quarterback Landry Jones, who threw for 278 yards on 35-48-1 passing. “We couldn’t run it, we couldn’t throw it … it happens. I wish we were better tonight, but that’s the way it is.”

Now, the Sooners have to try to move forward. They will lose Jones to graduation and the NFL, and they must find a new quarterback. They also have to replace five seniors on defense. However, they have a ton of offensive linemen coming back, as well as several skill position players on offense.

“Going forward, I know what we need to do,” said freshman Ty Darlington. “If anything, this will be a huge motivation for us through the off-season, cause us to work even harder and come back next year as good as we possibly can.”

Pretty strong endorsement from Stoops about Manziel. It must have been a ####### nightmare in the secondary for OU.

As long as Sooners run this kind of offense, elite players — and national titles — will go to 'Bama, SECPublished: 1/8/2013 3:06 PMLast Modified: 1/8/2013 3:33 PMWatching Oklahoma play on Friday, then watching Alabama play on Monday, it became startlingly clear how far away the Sooners really are from winning another college football national championship.As long as Nick Saban is at Alabama, and as long as all those first-round draft picks keep playing on the offensive and defensive lines at the Southeastern Conference’s elite programs — who knows if that’s five years or 10 years or 20? — then the Sooners will be playing for Big 12 titles and access bowls and, once every few years, a spot in the national semifinals, but no further.The disparities are that obvious, particularly in coaching philosophy and talent among linemen.Maybe Kevin Sumlin’s up-tempo, ad-lib offense will have continued success in the SEC. If it does, he’ll need those big, talented offensive tackles to come back next year, and he’ll need to find a few more just like them, and fast. And if Sumlin’s offensive scheme does have sustained success, maybe it will germinate throughout the South and SEC powerhouses like Alabama and LSU will evolve away from hard-running offenses with tight ends and fullbacks and slip into something more spread-oriented.Maybe.But if Sumlin can’t find or develop his next bookend tackles and SEC defenses start to crack Johnny Manziel’s code and the Aggies don’t win a lot next year, the spread most certainly won’t catch on in the SEC.At this point, why would anyone try anything other than what Saban is doing?“The philosophy of running the football is so important,” Barry Switzer told me last fall. “Because you don’t allow the other team to be out there. Alabama does both, but they run first. They play two tight ends, they make you play balanced, they put a flanker out both ways so you’ve got to play four deep. You’ve got to play cover-2 against two flankers with two tight ends. Now they put one back back there, they make your seven-man front — you can’t overshift one way because they’ve got that balanced offensive front — you’ve got to play ‘em straight. So you get man-on-man, they come off and just gash you. They run the football because they’re bigger and better than you are and they mash your ###.”When was the last time Oklahoma did that to someone?When OU went to its current version of the spread in 2008, it seemed like a good idea at the time.But in retrospect, it has been a disaster.Josh Heupel went to Kevin Wilson and said, “What if we run your spread offense with a no-huddle tempo? What if we took our superior player talent and made them run at a blisteringly quick pace?”The premise seemed sound: OU in 2008 had all the pieces in place to take their future NFL talent and insert them into one of those Mickey Mouse offenses, one of those Hal Mumme-Mouse Davis-June Jones schemes that pass, pass and pass again. The secret behind those offenses was like the old wishbone: by spreading the field and throwing so much, teams with inferior talent had a chance to level the playing field against teams with superior talent.So playing that scheme with superior talent seemed smart.The Sooners in 2008 had Sam Bradford, Trent Williams, Duke Robinson, Jon Cooper, Phil Loadholt, Jermaine Gresham, Brody Eldridge, DeMarco Murray, Juaquin Iglesias, Manny Johnson and Ryan Broyles — all future NFL players. There were plenty of others, too, like running back Chris Brown and guards Brandon Walker and Brian Simmons, who were terrific college football players.But it wasn’t just the scheme that won Wilson the Frank Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach that year. It wasn’t just the tempo that allowed OU to set NCAA records of 99 touchdowns and 716 points. It wasn’t just the no-huddle that won Bradford the Heisman Trophy.It was, as Bob Stoops has said many times, the players.But now spin that forward. It’s 2012, and the Sooners haven’t even sniffed a path to the national championship game since ’08.Where did all the players go?The Sooners this year have two juniors (so far) leaving early who are projected to go in the third or fourth round. When has that ever happened? Quarterback Landry Jones will play in the NFL. So will left tackle Lane Johnson. They’re seniors. Likewise with a few guys on defense. A handful of other underclassmen, maybe 10 or so, also will play in the League.But compare that to Alabama, which, one scout says, could have 25-30 players drafted off this team. That’s not redshirting freshmen. That’s guys who played on Monday night.That’s how far Oklahoma has to go to win the program’s eighth national championship.Somewhere in the past four years, elite offensive linemen stopped coming to OU. Two of the Sooners’ starters this season were converted tight ends. Same on the defensive line.Also, the type of big, physical running back that dominated in South Florida on Monday night — Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon teamed up to run 41 times for 248 yards and score three total touchdowns — hasn’t received mail in Norman since Murray graduated. Same at linebacker.And while NFL-prototype receivers seem to fall from the sky in Tuscaloosa — Julio Jones set freshman standards in 2008, stayed three years and is a star in the NFL, and Amari Cooper, who had 105 yards and two TDs against Notre Dame, could be better — they’ve all but disappeared at OU.This isn’t a quick fix, either. Oklahoma needs an immediate infusion of talent, but it’s not going to happen. Think things can get a boost from raiding the junior college ranks? Don’t count on it.Stoops signed a record seven juco transfers last year. Of those, two never qualified academically, one redshirted, two hardly played at all, and one was a third-stringer. Only running back Damien Williams (946 yards rushing, 11 TDs) paid off. One out of seven.And don’t forget other recent high-profile juco whiffs in Norman. The two offensive linemen signed in 2009 almost never got on the field. And the two linebackers signed in 2007 and 2008, for circumstances beyond their control, became wasted scholarships. The old adage — there’s always a reason why they’re in junior college in the first place — rings true.So what happened? Where did all the elite players go — or, at least, why did they stop coming to Oklahoma? An interesting question was raised this week: if Adrian Peterson was coming out of high school right now, would he even look twice at Oklahoma?No way.This isn’t the same Oklahoma for which Peterson signed up. Peterson nearly won the Heisman as a freshman even though he had a sixth-year senior quarterback who set school passing records and won the Heisman himself the year before. He almost ran for 2,000 yards just one year removed from high school.No, those kinds of players don’t pick Oklahoma any more.Downhill running, I-formation football, fullbacks, tight ends, smash-mouth, ground-and-pound, imposing one’s will on the opponent — all those old favorites, the ones with which Alabama has won three of the last four national championships, there are no longer even vestiges of their existence in Norman.Now when the Sooners need a yard, they call upon their backup quarterback. It worked fine to get Blake Bell 24 rushing touchdowns the last two years, and it works fine to force overtime in the final seconds against the likes of a defenseless Oklahoma State team.But when it doesn’t work, like it didn’t against Texas A&M, suddenly there is no Plan C for short-yardage situations.Having Landry Jones set every passing record is nice. Having Blake Bell be your short-yardage plow horse is fine.But don’t expect to win any national championships with that kind of offense.So, again, what happened?Did recruiters at places like Alabama and LSU and Florida and other title towns spread the word to all those big linemen and punishing runners about Mickey Mouse and the Belldozer? Or have the prospects figured out for themselves that the best way to win a national championship and open up a door to the NFL is to steer clear of offenses like the one they run at OU, where 10 wins and conference titles and passing records are all that seem to matter?Written byJohn E. HooverSports Columnist
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx/?As_long_as_Sooners_run_this_kind_of_offense_elite_players_%E2%80%94_and_national_titles_%E2%80%94_will_go_to_Bama_SEC/54-18464

John E. Hoover: OU coaches to blame for continued bowl-game flopsBy JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Columnist Published: 1/6/2013  2:24 AM Last Modified: 1/6/2013  8:14 AMOKLAHOMA'S TREND OF abysmal performances in big bowls against quality opponents can no longer be blamed on players. From teams quarterbacked by Jason White to Paul Thompson to Sam Bradford to Landry Jones, bowl flops now have crossed generations of Sooners. OU's 41-13 malfunction Friday night against Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl Classic is the latest irrefutable evidence: It's clearly not the players' fault that this keeps happening. It's the coaches. A series of mishaps early in the Cotton Bowl illustrates that Oklahoma players were not properly prepared to play in the game. They were not prepared to adapt and overcome, they were not prepared to adjust and improvise. But this isn't on the players. It's on the coaching staff for failing to prepare them. Players don't scout opponents, and they don't come up with ineffective game plans or misguided personnel packages. Coaches do. A few examples stood out against the Aggies: Defensive coordinator Mike Stoops needed a timeout on Texas A&M's first drive. That's the fourth time that's happened this season, and the sixth time Stoops has needed a first-quarter timeout. (The OU offense burned a timeout seven times in the first quarter of games this season.)Offensive coordinator Josh Heupel had an otherwise brilliant game plan of utilizing short passes on first down and running plays on second down to keep the football and minimize A&M's offensive opportunities, but when it became clear the Aggie defense would not allow any short-yardage success from the Belldozer formation, Heupel scrapped it but never had a backup plan. The offense then went three-and-out on three straight possessions to start the second half - twice after failing in short-yardage situations.Most curious of all, head coach Bob Stoops declined a defensive penalty that would have given the Sooners first-and-goal at the 2 and instead took the play that gave them second-and-goal at the 1. Failing to score on second and third down, OU was forced to kick a field goal.Preparation and attention to detail was lacking in all three scenarios. But that wasn't all. Heupel's play-calling in the red zone and in short-yardage situations lacked creativity. Mike Stoops' decision to use one linebacker, a backup, was exploited repeatedly by Johnny Manziel's Heisman-winning improvisational skills - as if the 344 rushing yards by West Virginia's Tavon Austin never happened. When Manziel faked a handoff, read the defensive end and scooted five yards into the end zone for a second-quarter touchdown, OU defenders looked as if they had no idea Manziel - who rushed for 1,410 yards and 21 TDs this season - might actually keep it. It was every bit as surprising to them as Boise State's Statue of Liberty play to win the 2006 Fiesta Bowl. And when A&M came out in the third quarter having made significant adjustments - a three-man defensive line with an extra pass defender - the result was a 27-0 second-half margin for which Sooner coaches had no answers. In the past, Bob Stoops and other Oklahoma coaches have spoken about player entitlement and how it can erode a team and a season. The 2005 season is a clear example, wherein some players thought that just because they were next on the depth chart, they could just step in for a large group of accomplished seniors without making the same commitments and sacrifices. They couldn't. The 2011 season is another example. Oklahoma was a team pockmarked with personnel holes but was granted a consensus No. 1 ranking after the Fiesta Bowl (an uninspiring victory over a bad Connecticut team). After ESPN cameras were allowed inside the team's training camp - the locker room, team-building functions, even Bob Stoops' car as he drove his kids around town - Stoops found himself having to purge a dozen or so players who detracted from the team concept. Player entitlement is real, and it can become cancerous. But given the program's body of work over the last 10 years, maybe it's not really the players who have felt entitled in bowl games. Maybe it's the coaches. A few years ago, the OU coaching staff gained a reputation, deserved or not, for not truly investing in bowl preparations if a national championship wasn't on the line. Winning the Big 12 and getting to a nice bowl game provided all the incentives Sooner coaches needed after a long, tough season. Grinding through December in preparation for a game that amounted to little more than an exhibition wasn't high on their priority list. Attitudes relaxed even more when the team arrived at the bowl destination. The team's posh resort in Scottsdale, Ariz., became a place to kick back, relax and have a good time with family and friends leading up to the game. That explains much of what happened in Fiesta Bowl losses to Boise State and West Virginia. Those teams were not better than Oklahoma. Yet, they embarrassed the Sooners in back-to-back bowls. Does it also explain a bit of what the nation saw unfold inside Cowboys Stadium? Don't misunderstand: Just like LSU in the 2003-04 Sugar Bowl, USC in the 2004-05 Orange Bowl and Florida in the 2008-09 BCS national championship game, Texas A&M was the better team - on both lines, in the secondary, at wide receiver, at running back, at linebacker and certainly at quarterback. But A&M isn't four touchdowns better than Oklahoma. Or shouldn't be. The Cotton Bowl was just the most recent postseason egg laid by the Sooners. Sure, OU won the Sun Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl and the Insight Bowl in the last three seasons. But, even with the national championship a million miles away for those teams, Oklahoma's talent against overmatched opponents was enough in those bowls. Since winning the 2002-03 Rose Bowl, the Sooners are 1-5 in January bowl games. If OU coaches keep taking December vacations, that trend may continue.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=708&articleid=20130106_29_B1_OKLAHO461054

If Gabe Ikard and Landry Jones got into a shouting/shoving match after a delay of game in the Cotton Bowl, there would be 10,000-word articles about it. It's all reactionary post hoc ergo propter hoc BS.

It was one thing for Brian Bosworth, the notoriously loose-lipped Switzer era linebacker, to vent about the Oklahoma Sooners earlier this year. The message was interesting, but it was lost on some because of the messenger. Now, we hear from one of Bob Stoops' former players, and among his best.Jammal Brown, the Outland Trophy-winning tackle who played in two national championship games, went on Norman's KREF Monday evening. The hosts of "The Rush," former Sooners Dusty Dvoracek and Teddy Lehman, weren't very happy with OU's Cotton Bowl performance.Brown was even more upset, something he made quite clear to Dvoracek and Lehman on their drive-time show... "Man, I'm mad as hell about that game. Very upset. To me, it's a whole mental thing with the team. I played there. I know Coach Stoops and those guys can get it done. But the whole mental aspect of our team is gone."We don't got those guys that will play physical. Guys are soft. All of that, it's just a horrible thing to watch. It don't even look like OU out there. It looks like a bunch of guys running around. It's very disappointing... "The guys they've got there are good athletes, because they know how to recruit and what not. But their mindset is all messed up. Those guys are soft. They complain about everything. They wanna get in trouble. Their mindset ain't right. They need to do something about that, man. "I know Coach Stoops can get it done. But it just seems like something's holding him back. To me, I think Coach Stoops is the best coach out there. When I played for him, he was a dog. He had that Youngstown swag about him, that gangsta swag about him to go out there and get it done, no ifs, no nothing."Now, I mean, it's just different. I don't know if it's because the kids are whiny now or wanna go tell if they're working too hard, or what it is. But it needs to get back to how it was, plain and simple... "Those guys, I feel like what it's important to them is seeing how many hits on Twitter, or who's seen this or who's seen that. When we were there, success was held really, really high. Big 12 championship? Man, we tried to win a national championship. I hear these guys exciting about sharing a championship? That ain't nothing to be excited about. This is Oklahoma football. We don't share championships, we win 'em outright. That's BS. I would've even gave that back. I ain't about to share no championship."And that's the whole mindset. Y'all are walking around celebrating because you got to share a championship with K-State? Man, get outta here with that. Let Oklahoma State celebrate stuff like that…"After that A&M game, when we beat those boys 77-0 my junior year, that next Monday was the hardest practice that I ever had. Because we didn't get enough knockdowns because we squashed so much. We didn't put a drive together because everybody had big plays. Coach (Kevin) Wilson didn't care about that score. Our job was for each person to get 15 knockdowns. It didn't get done, so we had to do up-downs."That was the whole mindset that Wilson installed in us. Guys like Phil (Loadholt), Davin (Joseph), me, he knew how to coach us. He knew how to get the best out of us. He knew how to keep us motivated. He didn't let us get lost in the world of Twitter and being in college and this and that..."Coach Stoops was the same way... He always kept me hungry. He always pushed me. I just feel like they don't push guys like that no more. I don't know if it's because who the kids are now, who knows. But I think that type of coaching needs to come back."

Tom Wort has declared for the draft?????????????????? He'll be lucky to get drafted with the crap season he had. :loco:
I saw this tweet by Dane Brugler:Regarding LB Tom Wort RT @TravHaneyESPN Not going pro as much as 'I'm done playing at OU"Any idea what that meant? Did he not fit with the new Stoops defense?

Tom Wort has declared for the draft?????????????????? He'll be lucky to get drafted with the crap season he had. :loco:
I saw this tweet by Dane Brugler:Regarding LB Tom Wort RT @TravHaneyESPN Not going pro as much as 'I'm done playing at OU"Any idea what that meant? Did he not fit with the new Stoops defense?
Not at all. He was lost.He did graduate. So he could pull a Russell Wilson and go somewhere else without sitting out. But OU would have to release him.

Not at all. He was lost.He did graduate. So he could pull a Russell Wilson and go somewhere else without sitting out. But OU would have to release him.
See ya, sucker:
"When 'Coach V' left, Tom was hurt," fellow starting linebacker Corey Nelson said the week of OU's season opener against UTEP. "He rarely showed up for meetings. He left early, as soon as he could, to get out of meetings. I mean, he was just real hurt by it. It affected us all, but it hurt Tom the most."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130110_92_B6_NRAoot913169#

Been a great couple of days. Some nice recruits added to the class and Colvin announced he's staying. I'm really surprised at Colvin's decision, imo out of all of these guys he will be the best NFL player. Hopefully he stays healthy and improves his draft position.

Been a great couple of days. Some nice recruits added to the class and Colvin announced he's staying. I'm really surprised at Colvin's decision, imo out of all of these guys he will be the best NFL player. Hopefully he stays healthy and improves his draft position.
One of the few guys to have a great season on defense. This helps, I too thought he was gone.

Oklahoma football: Quarterback Drew Allen looking at possibility of transferringOU FOOTBALL — Drew Allen, the Sooners' backup quarterback to Landry Jones the past few years, is apparently looking to transfer to another school. Allen, who will graduate in May, could transfer to another Division I school and be immediately eligible.NORMAN — Oklahoma backup quarterback Drew Allen was given permission to explore other opportunities, making it possible he'll play his senior season elsewhere.Allen took to Twitter on Friday to address the situation."I have a permission to contact form that allows me to look around, talk to other schools," Allen tweeted. "Doesn't mean I am transferring yet." Allen, who is on course to graduate in May but still has a year of eligibility remaining, could transfer to another Football Bowl Subdivision university and be immediately eligible.Under certain circumstances, the NCAA doesn't require its usual one-year benching for transfers between FBS schools.Blake Bell, a junior next season, supplanted Allen as Landry Jones' backup before the 2012 season. Since then, with Bell likely the favorite to start next season — plus the emergence of redshirt freshman Trevor Knight, who starred on the scout team — there has been speculation that Allen might transfer.“The option's there,” Allen said during the week before Oklahoma's Jan. 4 Cotton Bowl loss to Texas A&M. “My goals and aspirations since I came to college were to play. I've always wanted to play here and have a significant role here and I'd love to do that.”Allen didn't take a single snap during the 2012 season. During his sophomore season in 2011, Allen appeared in five games and completed nine of 16 passes for 71 yards.

Landry has not helped himself all week at Senior Bowl practice, and it's even worse in this game.Mayock and scouts on Twitter are killing him for terrible accuracy and jittery feet in the pocket.

Landry has not helped himself all week at Senior Bowl practice, and it's even worse in this game.Mayock and scouts on Twitter are killing him for terrible accuracy and jittery feet in the pocket.
Yeah it's gonna be tough for him in the NFL I think. I dunno if you can learn to deal with pressure or not but he'll certainly have to. Kind of seems like a worse version of Gabbert. Lane Johnson looks really good though.

Landry has not helped himself all week at Senior Bowl practice, and it's even worse in this game.

Mayock and scouts on Twitter are killing him for terrible accuracy and jittery feet in the pocket.
Yeah it's gonna be tough for him in the NFL I think. I dunno if you can learn to deal with pressure or not but he'll certainly have to. Kind of seems like a worse version of Gabbert. Lane Johnson looks really good though.
LOL. Ouch!

Users who are viewing this thread