What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

Well the dominoes didn't fall today to make it into the Final 4 for the CFB playoff.   I guess we will play in the Sugar Bowl when we beat OSU.  Either playing Tennessee or Florida? 

Fair enough - we had the schedule to do it this year, but weren't good enough to win the early games.

It looks like a combo of VaTech, Penn St, and Colorado wins gets us over 50% in playoff possibility according to 538.  VaTech seems like the weakest link there.

Thoughts on Bedlam:

1.  Sooner fans are pretty spoiled  by winning.  When I say the Sooner fans are spoiled I mean that it was very flat in the 1st half of the game.  On the way into the game usually you will get a 1/2 dozen BOOMERs with other fans yelling SOONER!   Not today for whatever reason.  On the way out of the stadium it was noticeably different.  A lot more BOOMER SOONERS.

2.  The offense is pretty amazing to watch in person.  Several times the WR's for OU were so wide open it was funny.  Also, Mayfield had several wide open passes dropped that hit the receivers in the hands.  Mixon and Perine are just unreal. OU really wanted to get the run game going and just kept feeding those two the ball.   Would have liked to have seen more Westbrook today, and I hope he is ok and ready for the Sugar Bowl.

3.  Defense is just silly.  I can tell the players want to perform, but they are so turned around and seem lost during the plays.  I really think that the defense is not close to being good.  Just my 2 cents.  I hope I am wrong.

4.  Special Teams  Seibert looked good.   Kickoff team sucks balls.  Really the yards the kickoff team gave up today was embarrassing.  Kickoff return did an ok job, I was really hoping that Mixon would take one back today.  

OU wins the BIG 12, so I guess all the coaches will get extension/raises.  Which I am very happy with if it brings back Mayfield, Perine, Mixon, and Westbrook.  Would love to see some up and comer young coach to bring back some swagger to the defensive side of the ball, but I don't see that happening since again OU won the BIG 12.  

Just my  2 cents.  OU had a helluva a season after their start this season.    The Sugar Bowl is just playing with house money at this time. 

Thoughts on Bedlam:

1.  Sooner fans are pretty spoiled  by winning.  When I say the Sooner fans are spoiled I mean that it was very flat in the 1st half of the game.  On the way into the game usually you will get a 1/2 dozen BOOMERs with other fans yelling SOONER!   Not today for whatever reason.  On the way out of the stadium it was noticeably different.  A lot more BOOMER SOONERS.

2.  The offense is pretty amazing to watch in person.  Several times the WR's for OU were so wide open it was funny.  Also, Mayfield had several wide open passes dropped that hit the receivers in the hands.  Mixon and Perine are just unreal. OU really wanted to get the run game going and just kept feeding those two the ball.   Would have liked to have seen more Westbrook today, and I hope he is ok and ready for the Sugar Bowl.

3.  Defense is just silly.  I can tell the players want to perform, but they are so turned around and seem lost during the plays.  I really think that the defense is not close to being good.  Just my 2 cents.  I hope I am wrong.

4.  Special Teams  Seibert looked good.   Kickoff team sucks balls.  Really the yards the kickoff team gave up today was embarrassing.  Kickoff return did an ok job, I was really hoping that Mixon would take one back today.  

OU wins the BIG 12, so I guess all the coaches will get extension/raises.  Which I am very happy with if it brings back Mayfield, Perine, Mixon, and Westbrook.  Would love to see some up and comer young coach to bring back some swagger to the defensive side of the ball, but I don't see that happening since again OU won the BIG 12.  

Just my  2 cents.  OU had a helluva a season after their start this season.    The Sugar Bowl is just playing with house money at this time. 
Westbrook is a senior I thought?

BOOMER!

Tricky game for OU against Auburn.  If OU wins against a mediocre SEC team the press will all over how weak the BIG 12 and OU are this year.   IF OU beats a 4 loss Auburn team it will be, "Yeah OU beat an average Auburn team."  Maybe a win against a SEC school can help with recruiting, or hurt with a loss.   I have several people I work with that follow the Sooners very closely and travel to every bowl game, but this year they are not even trying to get tickets.  Doesn't seem to be making generating a lot of excitement here in Oklahoma. 

Tricky game for OU against Auburn.  If OU wins against a mediocre SEC team the press will all over how weak the BIG 12 and OU are this year.   IF OU beats a 4 loss Auburn team it will be, "Yeah OU beat an average Auburn team."  Maybe a win against a SEC school can help with recruiting, or hurt with a loss.   I have several people I work with that follow the Sooners very closely and travel to every bowl game, but this year they are not even trying to get tickets.  Doesn't seem to be making generating a lot of excitement here in Oklahoma. 
Why is it Auburn and not, like, Florida?

11-2, won their last ten, Big XII Championship, Sugar Bowl blowout of an SEC team. :banned:

Wish we could have that Houston game back, they would have been in the playoffs otherwise.  Don't think they would have beaten Clemson or Bama but it would have been nice to get the chance.

If Mixon or Perine comes back they are stacked on offense.  Mayfield, Andrews, four of five lineman, Mead, and a couple of redshirts at WR that will be good.  On defense they need to improve the line play, they lose Evans but hopefully Jordan Thomas comes back.  Caleb Kelly is a beast, and I think Jordan Parker is going to be a good corner.  They have to go to Ohio, K-State, and Oklahoma State but the otehr tough ones are at home.  Plus next year we get a Big XII Championship game which is helpful. 

Oh, and I hope Lincoln Riley stays a little longer.  I think he will. 

11-2, won their last ten, Big XII Championship, Sugar Bowl blowout of an SEC team. :banned:

Wish we could have that Houston game back, they would have been in the playoffs otherwise.  Don't think they would have beaten Clemson or Bama but it would have been nice to get the chance.

If Mixon or Perine comes back they are stacked on offense.  Mayfield, Andrews, four of five lineman, Mead, and a couple of redshirts at WR that will be good.  On defense they need to improve the line play, they lose Evans but hopefully Jordan Thomas comes back.  Caleb Kelly is a beast, and I think Jordan Parker is going to be a good corner.  They have to go to Ohio, K-State, and Oklahoma State but the otehr tough ones are at home.  Plus next year we get a Big XII Championship game which is helpful. 

Oh, and I hope Lincoln Riley stays a little longer.  I think he will. 
Perine declared

Goodbye Joe Mixon

I really thought he would let the drama settle down and get another year under his belt at OU before making the leap to the NFL.   I can't imagine that any GM would want a kid that has that much baggage surrounding him.  I dunno

So that leaves them with:

Abdul Adams

Rodney Anderson

Najee Bissoon

Ezel McIntee

Devin Montgomery

Anthony Sheppard

The only one with any experience is Adams.  :mellow:

They'll have true freshman Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks in the mix also, both 4 star recruits.  Adams looked good in his playing time this year, Anderson was a 4 star recruit out of Katy, Texas and was supposed to contribute this year but he got hurt in the spring game and missed the whole season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they trolled the JC ranks for a guy who can contribute this year but RB always seems like a position they find someone who fits the system.

Plenty of GMs will take a chance on Mixon, he's not going to slip past like the 3rd round IMO.  You are looking at a guy that was probably a first rounder with no baggage, he'll find a home somewhere.  I also thought he'd come back and let this stuff blow over for another year.  Probably good for the school he's leaving, it's not good for the football team though.  Crap. 

They'll have true freshman Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks in the mix also, both 4 star recruits.  Adams looked good in his playing time this year, Anderson was a 4 star recruit out of Katy, Texas and was supposed to contribute this year but he got hurt in the spring game and missed the whole season.  I wouldn't be surprised if they trolled the JC ranks for a guy who can contribute this year but RB always seems like a position they find someone who fits the system.

Plenty of GMs will take a chance on Mixon, he's not going to slip past like the 3rd round IMO.  You are looking at a guy that was probably a first rounder with no baggage, he'll find a home somewhere.  I also thought he'd come back and let this stuff blow over for another year.  Probably good for the school he's leaving, it's not good for the football team though.  Crap. 
Here's your juco (ESPN B12 mailbag):

Trotter: I suppose Abdul Adams is the favorite as of today, but really, it's wide open. The Sooners have been high on Rodney Anderson, but he'll be coming off two major injuries (knee, neck) now. The Sooners do have a trio of highly touted backs lined up in ESPN 300 commit Trey Sermon as well as Marcelias Sutton, the No. 2 juco back in the country. Kennedy Brooks is also a four-star verbal. I would not be stunned if one of those three is OU's starting back when the Sooners travel to Ohio State in Week 2.

So Baker Mayfield was arrested in Arkansas.  So stupid.  Maybe this was Bakers way to go to the NFL after all?  So stupid. 

So weird. He couldn't announce he was going to retire after the season and that Riley would take over then? Just decided he didn't want to F with it this year?

So weird. He couldn't announce he was going to retire after the season and that Riley would take over then? Just decided he didn't want to F with it this year?
The timing does seem strange.  Stoops is getting a lot of flack on the radio, and internet sites here for his timing.  Biggest complaint is that Mike didn't allow Gasso and her team to bask in their championship a few days before dropping the bomb and turning the news to him.  Just seems so ####### weird to do this at this point.    The players must be like WTF?!?  Hopefully Mike is packing his ####.   

Switzer is on the radio completely stunned. Said he was in Stoops' new office the other day and Bob was unpacking and showing everything off and telling Barry how excited he was. So weird. 

He said "health wasn't the deciding factor" but it had to be a big concern. Given the continuity of the program, athletic department, and university it's hard to believe that it is anything else. 

Why would we want to get rid of Mike Stoops? You could move him off DC but his experience is key right now. Riley is youngest HC in FBS, Mike knows stuff. 

And why would people even suggest Venebles for HC? He had some pretty bad defenses too. Riley was the right choice by far imo. 

Why would we want to get rid of Mike Stoops? You could move him off DC but his experience is key right now. Riley is youngest HC in FBS, Mike knows stuff. 

And why would people even suggest Venebles for HC? He had some pretty bad defenses too. Riley was the right choice by far imo. 
Yeah, no reason to blow up the staff.

The Oklahoma Sooners have had the second-best winning percentage in the FBS since Bob Stoops took over as coach in 1999:

TEAMSWIN PCT.

Boise State.838

Oklahoma.798

Ohio State.795

LSU.740

TCU.739

Big-game Bob

Since 1999, only one coach has had more wins against AP top-10 opponents than Oklahoma's Bob Stoops:

COACHWINS*

Nick Saban31

Bob Stoops21

Urban Meyer19

Les Miles18

Tommy Tuberville17

* vs. AP top-10 foes since '99

I have been outspoken about Bob on several occasions and mostly that was just being pissed about losses.   At times I have thought Bob lost the fire to coach the Sooners to another Championship.    With all that said he will be missed for being a great ambassador for OU, great family man, and the players, fans, and the state of Oklahoma have loved him.     Will be very hard to replace those stats above.  Lincoln just needs to be Lincoln and let the wins come.  It has to be overwhelming for Lincoln, just like it must have been for Bob with the legacies before him.  I am looking forward to young guy who may relate more with players today, and running a high powered offense that seems to attract the better athletes to showcase their talents.   I am excited for the season, and chewing my fingernails at the same time.  

Users who are viewing this thread