What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (4 Viewers)

OU and Auburn are going to have a reunion game and duke it out for that large crystal egg.

Seriously, though there were three 12-0 teams, weren't there?

2011 Schedule

Date Game Location Time

09/03/11 vs. Tulsa Norman 47-14 W

09/17/11 at Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. 23-13 W

09/24/11 vs. Missouri Norman 38-28 W

10/01/11 vs. Ball State Norman TBA 62-6 W

10/08/11 vs. Texas Dallas, Texas 55-17 W

10/15/11 at Kansas Lawrence, Kansas 47-17 W

10/22/11 vs. Texas Tech Norman 38-41 L

10/29/11 at Kansas State Manhattan, Kan 58-17 W

11/05/11 vs. Texas A&M Norman TBA

11/19/11 at Baylor Waco, Texas TBA

11/26/11 vs. Iowa State Norman 7:00 PM CT

12/03/11 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla. TBA

2010 Results09/04/10 vs. Utah State 31-24 W

09/11/10 vs. Florida State 47-17 W

09/18/10 vs. Air Force 27-24 W

09/25/10 at Cincinnati 31-29 W

10/02/10 vs. Texas Dallas, Texas 28-20 W

10/16/10 vs. Iowa State 52-0 W

10/23/10 at Missouri 27-36 L

10/30/10 vs. Colorado 43-10 W

11/06/10 at Texas A&M 19-33 L

11/13/10 vs. Texas Tech 45-7 W

11/20/10 at Baylor 53-24 W

11/27/10 at Oklahoma State 47-41 W

12/04/10 Big 12 Championship v Nebraska 23-20 W

01/01/11 Fiesta Bowl v UCONN 48-20 W

Key losses: DT Gerald McCoy, OT Trent Williams, CB Dominique Franks

NCAA ranks last year: Offense 23rd (11th passing, 77th running)

Defense 8th (6 v run, 20 v pass)

Pitfals: New faces at CB could be an issue early

Strengths: Not having to depend on DeMarco Murray will be nice. Calhoun, Miller, Madu, Clay and Finch are all very capable and Clay and Calhoun could impress. Defense might miss Gerald McCoy, but Jamarkus McFarland is ready to be the next great one and Beal, Alexander and Taylor are stellar.

Schedule is not easy and the Nov 6th game @A&M worries me, road trips to Mizzou and Cincinnati won't be easy. Team is the Big 12 South favorites according to those in the media who voted in the preseason poll, but most magazines and the polls have Texas ranked ahead of OU. That's ok, they play in Dallas on Oct 2nd.

BOOMER

Last edited by a moderator:
With the eventual loss of two schools (Colorado and Nebraska) from the conference, the Big 12 now faces a football future that doesn't include a league championship game.With that, some have called for the possibility of the annual battle between Texas and Oklahoma to be moved to later in the season to give the league a guaranteed marquee matchup late in the calendar.On Tuesday at the Big 12 media days in Texas, league commissioner Dan Beebe said that won't be happening, according to The Dallas Morning News."I think the major consideration is to keep the traditions of the conference as well as we can, and the tradition of that game has been around the State Fair of Texas," Beebe said. "And I don't see that really being something that we would want to mess with. It's just too important to those institutions, this region and so forth."But Beebe did say that the league is looking to move at least one conference game to early December to rival other league's championship games.

Madu arrested for DUI, probably start out last on depth chart. I look for one of the 2 freshman rb's to play if either can pick things up quick, also the freshman wr from San Diego looks to be the real deal, I think opposing def's will have a hard time covering him and Broyles. Just my opinion. I also think they have the best lb's in the country this year. Again, just my opinion, but what do you expect from a homer :-)

Madu arrested for DUI, probably start out last on depth chart. I look for one of the 2 freshman rb's to play if either can pick things up quick, also the freshman wr from San Diego looks to be the real deal, I think opposing def's will have a hard time covering him and Broyles. Just my opinion. I also think they have the best lb's in the country this year. Again, just my opinion, but what do you expect from a homer :-)
Stills is one of the most complete receivers to come out of the West in a few years. Has great speed (4.36), excellent hands and concentration and is a crisp, route-runners. He's quick off the line, tough to stay in coverage with, and when he gets past the secondary, he's not going to be caught. Needs to continue to add more strength, but has good height and long arms that allow him to reel in most any passes. --Brandon Huffman, Scout.com

Stoops was on the Dan Patrick show today:

Stoops is fired up about quarterback Landry Jones as well. Dan asked Stoops what Jones does better than Sam Bradford. "Grows a mustache," Stoops said.
:goodposting: Mustache

Also...

NORMAN – Bob Barry's 50th season of college football play-by-play will be his last.

The man with as unique a resume – he broadcast Oklahoma games from 1961-72, switched to Oklahoma State in '73, then returned to the Sooner Network in 1991 – as a voice will retire following OU's 2010-11 men's basketball season.

Barry made a formal announcement during a news conference on OU’s campus this morning. The university will conduct a search for Barry’s successor, according to sources familiar with the situation.
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/a...28&allcom=1and...

Sooners will gun for No. 800

With an overall record of 799-302-53, the Sooners are one win away from becoming the seventh major-college team to record 800 victories.

"I didn't know that,” said redshirt freshman linebacker Tom Wort. "That's pretty awesome. Hopefully we win then.”

So far, six schools have reached the 800-win mark: Michigan (877), Texas (845), Notre Dame (837) Nebraska (837), Ohio State (819) and Penn State (812).
Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook/art...4#ixzz0yD5DdR1x

Doctor Detroit is a Sooner fan??? Say it ain't so.Always thought you were a Wildcat fan
What kind of wildcat? I've been a Sooner since 2002 and it had nothing to do with sports. The Air Force was paying for my education and gave me a choice of three schools to do my master's, I picked OU. The rest, as they say, is history.

Doctor Detroit is a Sooner fan??? Say it ain't so.Always thought you were a Wildcat fan
What kind of wildcat? I've been a Sooner since 2002 and it had nothing to do with sports. The Air Force was paying for my education and gave me a choice of three schools to do my master's, I picked OU. The rest, as they say, is history.
AZ Wildcat - heard a rumor about you sharing a dorm room with another Arizona Alum that posts here on occasion :bowtie:Will need to update my notebook accordingly.

Going to see the 9/11 Florida State game. My first Sooner game. Can't wait
I'll be in town for that game as well. Really wish it was a night game. Let me know if you have any questions about Norman, what to do, etc.

Also, big thumbs down to Time Warner for not carrying the ppv for this weekend's game. No espn3, no NFL network, and now this. Worst cable company ever.

Nice first drive with Demarco Murray looking really good. Gonna be hard to judge the OU team against Utah State University.

Better get the secondary squared away before next week, we knew it would be challenging but giving up 330 yards is bad vs Utah State. Borel is one of the best QBs no one has ever heard of but still.

OU report card: Sooners got some high marks, but in all the wrong placesIn Jenni Carlson's OU report card, the Sooners got average to low marks in most phases of the game. The high points? The fans and the kicking game. BY JENNI CARLSON Oklahoman Published: September 4, 2010Defensive secondary: DOklahoma gave up too many big plays, and if Utah State quarterback Diondre Borel was a bit more accurate, the secondary just might've gotten the Sooners beat. A late interception by Jamell Fleming kept the secondary from a failing grade.The Sooner fans cheer on their team during the first half of the college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and Utah State University Aggies (USU) at the Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010, in Norman, Okla. Photo by Chris Landsberger, The OklahomanMultimediaPhotoview all photosOU report card: Sooners got some high marks, but in all the wrong placesCrowd: AAgainst a bad opponent and on a beautiful day, you'd think some Sooner fans might've taken a pass on the opener. But no. There was a sellout crowd of 85,121. What's more, most stayed to the end and were rowdy when the Sooners needed them. A bunch even applauded for the Utah State players as they left the field.Landry Jones: C-The Sooner quarterback made too many bad throws and too many bad decisions. Much of the problem the three times he was sacked, for example, was Jones holding onto the ball too long. There were times that he locked in, but those times were too few and far between.Pre-game ceremony: BChalk it up to opening day, but one of the Ruf-Neks shot his gun early on "Oklahoma!" and the Sooners' entry, which is supposed to come right after the intro video, was delayed at least three minutes. Got to clean that up, folks.Intro video: A+Listen, there's just about nothing cooler than the "There's Only One" intro video, but this year's seems particularly good. Spencer Tillman doing much of the voiceover is part of the reason why. He's super smooth.Kicking game: A-The Sooners' biggest concern coming into the season was far from a train wreck. No missed extra points. No missed field goals. Several big kickoffs and punts. Granted, Patrick O'Hara's 32-yard field goal was a knuckleballing line drive, but it was good nevertheless.Offensive line: B-The OU front was solid for the most part, giving Jones time to throw and DeMarco Murray room to run. It had a few too many penalties, though, and still seems to be looking for the right mix.
:popcorn: a the grade for the intro video. Sounds like Landry was bad, anyone see this thing? Only on PPV here.

The Bleacher report is saying it will be a "very long season" for the Sooners this year based on what they showed in the first game.

Stoops summed it up well IMO:

"We've got to get some things polished up," Stoops said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference. "But in the end it's a totally different style of offense compared to what we were dealing with last week. We worked in coverages we don't play all year because of all the triple option they're doing.

"Offensively it's a whole different animal, how you play them, the coverages you use. We still have to make some improvements. In some places where we had opportunities to make plays we have to make them."
Read more: http://www.newsok.com/stoops-many-areas-ne...7#ixzz0ynZy7chSThey were prepared for this one game vs the triple option and again let me say Borel is one of the best QBs in the country. If you have secondary issues and you can't get to Borel because he's too slippery and you weren't prepared to be in a dogfight, then the problems compound. By all accounts the offensive was straight vanilla as they had planned to run away with the game and not show their hand to FSU. Probably a flawed plan in retrospect and that falls squarely on Stoops.

I think they will come out with their best game next Saturday and win and this will all be forgotten. There has to be some concern with the secondary but I think that is gonna be the case throughout the first half of the season, but everything else should come together next week against FSU. If it doesn't, I'll actually be surprised.

The Bleacher report is saying it will be a "very long season" for the Sooners this year based on what they showed in the first game.

Stoops summed it up well IMO:

"We've got to get some things polished up," Stoops said Monday during the weekly Big 12 teleconference. "But in the end it's a totally different style of offense compared to what we were dealing with last week. We worked in coverages we don't play all year because of all the triple option they're doing.

"Offensively it's a whole different animal, how you play them, the coverages you use. We still have to make some improvements. In some places where we had opportunities to make plays we have to make them."
Read more: http://www.newsok.com/stoops-many-areas-ne...7#ixzz0ynZy7chSThey were prepared for this one game vs the triple option and again let me say Borel is one of the best QBs in the country. If you have secondary issues and you can't get to Borel because he's too slippery and you weren't prepared to be in a dogfight, then the problems compound. By all accounts the offensive was straight vanilla as they had planned to run away with the game and not show their hand to FSU. Probably a flawed plan in retrospect and that falls squarely on Stoops.

I think they will come out with their best game next Saturday and win and this will all be forgotten. There has to be some concern with the secondary but I think that is gonna be the case throughout the first half of the season, but everything else should come together next week against FSU. If it doesn't, I'll actually be surprised.
I hope you're right, but I've got a bad feeling about this one. Either way, looking forward to the big game.

What was really troubling to me was how inaccurate Jones was. He missed some throws by a ton, Paul Thompson style. He is going to have to be a lot better for OU to do anything of consequence this year. As far as the defense goes, Utah State's qb was impressive as hell, and slippery guys like that always give OU trouble. The tackling wasn't the best and the defensive backfield seemed out of it but they'll rebound. Fleming will have to play better, but overall not worried about the defense. Also, I know DeMarco had huge numbers but he still looks a step slower to me. '08 DeMarco would have housed that first run. Saturday is gonna be awesome, if Jones plays well I think we'll win rather easily. Should be a fun day in Norman either way though.

A lot of media types are picking Florida State in this game. Should be fairly high scoring and OU needs to win the turnover battle today and Jones needs to hit the medium range passes to sustain drives. :unsure:

Again, ABC pull your head out of your ###!!! Up tempo offense does not allow you to do break away highlights, replays, or crowd shots. GEEZ!

Why can't OU get a kicker? Really a top ten nearly every year and we get #### at kicker year end and year out!

Why can't OU get a kicker? Really a top ten nearly every year and we get #### at kicker year end and year out!
Well a lot of college programs have this problem. I think I'll take a great punter over a good kicker any day and OU has one of the very best punters in Tress Way. Was just thinking about how improved the OU special teams are over past years, and Way has a lot to do with that. FSU was not ready for this, OU just took it to them in the first half. Like I was saying earlier this week, Utah State who? That game meant absolutely nothing.

Well a lot of college programs have this problem. I think I'll take a great punter over a good kicker any day and OU has one of the very best punters in Tress Way. Was just thinking about how improved the OU special teams are over past years, and Way has a lot to do with that. FSU was not ready for this, OU just took it to them in the first half. Like I was saying earlier this week, Utah State who? That game meant absolutely nothing.
I just hope OU starters make it out healthy this week. This "game" is gonna turn ugly and I would hate to see anyone get hurt. On a side note that State Trooper that is Stoops body guard looks like he is a beast!

Users who are viewing this thread