What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

quote]

1. Favre is not gone. It's amazing to me that people are buying this. Again.

2. On the tiny, tiny, tiny chance that Favre actually does retire, we have priced both Favre and Jackson as though they were the starter.

I am buying it this time around. No way he cries wolf again

Doug Drinen said:
What timeframe are we looking at for this coming out?
No guarantees, but I'm fairly confident it'll be out by 5:00 eastern time, with a decent chance of it being earlier than that.
I'm now a little less confident. Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to move the ETA to 7:00 eastern. Sorry about that.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/contest/entry.php

Crash Test it folks. Be warned. This contest is TOUGH.

Lots of interesting strategies in play this year:

1. Number of roster spots to use (18 to 30 represents a wide range)

2. PPR is 0.5 points per RB, 1 PPR for WRs and 1.5 PPR for TEs. How does this impact the scoring?

3. QBs score 6 points per passing TD. Although it's tempting to go cheap, can you afford to lose these points?

4. Must start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE and 1 flex (RB/WR/TE). With the scoring in #2 above, what positions are most valuable?

5. There are no $1 kickers or $1 defenses. More is better in these positions, but can you afford to lose $3+ cap space for each additional spot?

Good luck everyone. You will need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

2. PPR is 0.5 points per RB, 1 PPR for WRs and 1.5 PPR for TEs. How does this impact the scoring?

3. QBs score 6 points per passing TD. Although it's tempting to go cheap, can you afford to lose these points?

4. Must start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE and 1 flex (RB/WR/TE). With the scoring in #2 above, what positions are most valuable?

5. There are no $1 kickers or $1 defenses. More is better in these positions, but can you afford to lose $3+ cap space for each additional spot?

:lmao: -QG

I think that this scoring and the QB's individual price tags reflect the crux of many strategies this year. After many years of waiting and waiting and then waiting some more to draft QBs, there will be more grabbing of top dawgs at QB early than in previous years. Nice for you to force that issue in the contest as well. :lmao:

awesome thanks Dodds! I am sure I will use 30 positions with a bunch of scrubs. Too many injuries not too take a full 30 man roster in my opinion.

Right now, as a player over the last six years (since the days of Mike Vick and David Carr!), the 2010 edition is the TOUGHEST by far because the of the close bunching of players and not having the rookies so low. But over the next few weeks, a few diamonds in the rough (or red herrings!) at the low end should emerge a bit more clearly, though nothing like years past. All in all the bargains are much harder to find.

Love the 30 player or 18 player option though

awesome thanks Dodds! I am sure I will use 30 positions with a bunch of scrubs. Too many injuries not too take a full 30 man roster in my opinion.
I agree that 30 spots will probably get people past the early cuts the easiest. But how will these rosters do at the end when they are facing teams with 22 man rosters full of better players (and the bye weeks are over)? Are you entering trying to win $25 or are you shooting for the $20K first place spot?

Got 19 guys right now with my first (well now third) crack just to make sure I have something in :mellow:

Will be in the lab figuring it all out. :lmao:

-QG

Initial reaction to tweaks = :thumbsup:

I predict Vincent Jackson at the bargain rate will be a popular, frequently discussed selection.

I think Dez Bryant is going to be a real popular pick. People are crazy high on this guy; they already see him as a top 10. Me, I'm not so sure.

Wow, this is difficult.

After going way over budget the first few times I decided to try and plan it out. Not going to post my roster yet but curious to see what positional splits guys went with.

I ended up

3qb

4rb

9wr

2te

3pk

3dst

24overall

Sure I'll change this alot before the deadline as I'm not comfy with that few rb's.

Not ready to start formulating my team yet, but OC and I have already begun discussions on the live scoring app. Hopefully the new rules don't complicate matters too much for us!

Wow, this is difficult.After going way over budget the first few times I decided to try and plan it out. Not going to post my roster yet but curious to see what positional splits guys went with.I ended up3qb4rb9wr2te3pk3dst24overallSure I'll change this alot before the deadline as I'm not comfy with that few rb's.
trying to get quantity more than quality, but within reason. so far I've got this:4 QB, 7 RB, 8 WR, 4 TE, 4 K, 2 Def29 total

This inflationary period is killing the contest!!!In all seriousness, not having those $1 kickers and defenses have made this contest a lot more challenging. Even the other positions that in the past had a few $2 swing-for-the-fenses type players have dried-up as well. In order to get any kind of upper tier players you really need to sacrifice the middle tier players in order to fill out the minimum number of players for your roster. I finally got to the minimum 18 and that was no easy process.

Wow, this is difficult.After going way over budget the first few times I decided to try and plan it out. Not going to post my roster yet but curious to see what positional splits guys went with.I ended up3qb4rb9wr2te3pk3dst24overallSure I'll change this alot before the deadline as I'm not comfy with that few rb's.
trying to get quantity more than quality, but within reason. so far I've got this:4 QB, 7 RB, 8 WR, 4 TE, 4 K, 2 Def29 total
Never done this before so have no idea on what the best strategy is. I think I've made a pretty good FF team but whether it's suited to this type of contest I don't know.

Never done this before so have no idea on what the best strategy is. I think I've made a pretty good FF team but whether it's suited to this type of contest I don't know.
in general, check bye weeks to make sure you have multiple options. have more than 1 guy at a position on bye week is a big handicap.

This contest is so much tougher than past years that the strategy used before is somewhat obsolete. It's like a new contest to a degree.

This contest is so much tougher than past years that the strategy used before is somewhat obsolete. It's like a new contest to a degree.
Excellent.

Dodds you are right this is tougher this year. Looks like I am going to feild a team of Romo and 29 so so players.

CommuterMan said:
In all seriousness, not having those $1 kickers and defenses have made this contest a lot more challenging. Even the other positions that in the past had a few $2 swing-for-the-fenses type players have dried-up as well. In order to get any kind of upper tier players you really need to sacrifice the middle tier players in order to fill out the minimum number of players for your roster. I finally got to the minimum 18 and that was no easy process.
That's my problem here, there are a couple spots where I do think the stud is worth the $ but a couple studs and a bunch of Troy Williamsons just doesn't seem like a winning concept.

CommuterMan said:
In all seriousness, not having those $1 kickers and defenses have made this contest a lot more challenging. Even the other positions that in the past had a few $2 swing-for-the-fenses type players have dried-up as well. In order to get any kind of upper tier players you really need to sacrifice the middle tier players in order to fill out the minimum number of players for your roster. I finally got to the minimum 18 and that was no easy process.
That's my problem here, there are a couple spots where I do think the stud is worth the $ but a couple studs and a bunch of Troy Williamsons just doesn't seem like a winning concept.
One strategy that hasnt changed is that you still have to basically get lucky that some low dollar guys you pick end up being studs. Whether they are $1 or $5 it doesnt matter. The team with the unexpected studs that not very many other people picked will go far.

CommuterMan said:
One strategy that hasnt changed is that you still have to basically get lucky that some low dollar guys you pick end up being studs. Whether they are $1 or $5 it doesnt matter. The team with the unexpected studs that not very many other people picked will go far.
This is why I think a larger roster is the way to go. Thinking about last year, I had both Miles Austin and Sidney Rice on my roster for multiple iterations but in the end neither of them made the cut. I'm sure that if I could have had more than 24 players one or both of them would have made it.

CommuterMan said:
Probably true. I glanced at last year's winning entry to see if it divulges anything. Basically, survive the first 10 weeks or so and hope you get a couple sleepers who break out big in the end. Good luck finding those guys.

Hey! You got your Schedule Grid on my Subscriber Contest!
Oh yeah, well you got your Subscriber Contest on my Schedule Grid!
Link

ANYway...this is sortable...you just copy the dollar amount from the COST column into the yellow CAP column for the players you want to choose.

If you feel like putting in projected Fantasy Points in the grey PTS column, it will calculate the Points per Cap Dollar (PTS/$) for you.

I've made the positions sortable by adding a number in front of them, so QB is 1-QB, RB is 2-RB, etc...

Oh, and my first crack at this I spent all my money on just 18 guys...

Link

ANYway...this is sortable...you just copy the dollar amount from the COST column into the yellow CAP column for the players you want to choose.

If you feel like putting in projected Fantasy Points in the grey PTS column, it will calculate the Points per Cap Dollar (PTS/$) for you.

I've made the positions sortable by adding a number in front of them, so QB is 1-QB, RB is 2-RB, etc...

First off, thanks for the VERY cool spreadsheet. My only question about posting this is why make what is a pretty tough contest even tougher by giving a nice analysis tool to anyone that wants it? One thing I count on every year is that even though there are thousands of entries, only a few hundred at best are pretty well thought out. Most of the rest are thrown together just to make a legal roster. Thankfully, FBG has been kind enough to give us just enough rope to hang ourselves with on the contest entry, so people forget to think about some of the contest nuances. I've had a version of this type of sheet I've used for the past few years (although not nearly as pretty), but the competitor in me would never think to post it here. Not ragging on you at all, just not sure I'd give away any secrets while people can still reformulate their approach :no: CTR

Link

First off, thanks for the VERY cool spreadsheet. My only question about posting this is why make what is a pretty tough contest even tougher by giving a nice analysis tool to anyone that wants it? One thing I count on every year is that even though there are thousands of entries, only a few hundred at best are pretty well thought out. Most of the rest are thrown together just to make a legal roster. Thankfully, FBG has been kind enough to give us just enough rope to hang ourselves with on the contest entry, so people forget to think about some of the contest nuances. I've had a version of this type of sheet I've used for the past few years (although not nearly as pretty), but the competitor in me would never think to post it here. Not ragging on you at all, just not sure I'd give away any secrets while people can still reformulate their approach :confused: CTR
I think a lot of people posting in here aren't really serious about winning the contest, hence you see stuff like that spreadsheet, and links to last year's threads, commentary on the value picks this year, etc... :lmao:

Link

First off, thanks for the VERY cool spreadsheet. My only question about posting this is why make what is a pretty tough contest even tougher by giving a nice analysis tool to anyone that wants it? One thing I count on every year is that even though there are thousands of entries, only a few hundred at best are pretty well thought out. Most of the rest are thrown together just to make a legal roster. Thankfully, FBG has been kind enough to give us just enough rope to hang ourselves with on the contest entry, so people forget to think about some of the contest nuances. I've had a version of this type of sheet I've used for the past few years (although not nearly as pretty), but the competitor in me would never think to post it here. Not ragging on you at all, just not sure I'd give away any secrets while people can still reformulate their approach :confused: CTR
I think a lot of people posting in here aren't really serious about winning the contest, hence you see stuff like that spreadsheet, and links to last year's threads, commentary on the value picks this year, etc... :lmao:
Or maybe we're lying when posting about value picks.

Link

20K makes me very serious. :thumbup:

First off, thanks for the VERY cool spreadsheet. My only question about posting this is why make what is a pretty tough contest even tougher by giving a nice analysis tool to anyone that wants it? One thing I count on every year is that even though there are thousands of entries, only a few hundred at best are pretty well thought out. Most of the rest are thrown together just to make a legal roster. Thankfully, FBG has been kind enough to give us just enough rope to hang ourselves with on the contest entry, so people forget to think about some of the contest nuances. I've had a version of this type of sheet I've used for the past few years (although not nearly as pretty), but the competitor in me would never think to post it here. Not ragging on you at all, just not sure I'd give away any secrets while people can still reformulate their approach :football: CTR
I think a lot of people posting in here aren't really serious about winning the contest, hence you see stuff like that spreadsheet, and links to last year's threads, commentary on the value picks this year, etc...

:shrug:
20K makes me very serious!!! :lmao: :shark:

Link

Five stars.

Link

First off, thanks for the VERY cool spreadsheet. My only question about posting this is why make what is a pretty tough contest even tougher by giving a nice analysis tool to anyone that wants it? One thing I count on every year is that even though there are thousands of entries, only a few hundred at best are pretty well thought out. Most of the rest are thrown together just to make a legal roster. Thankfully, FBG has been kind enough to give us just enough rope to hang ourselves with on the contest entry, so people forget to think about some of the contest nuances. I've had a version of this type of sheet I've used for the past few years (although not nearly as pretty), but the competitor in me would never think to post it here. Not ragging on you at all, just not sure I'd give away any secrets while people can still reformulate their approach :hifive: CTR
I take it more seriously than I take playing the lottery, if only because the odds are greater, but also because me picking players is not the same as picking random numbers with equal chances of being picked.That said, it took me 10 years to win my local league I've been running for, well...10 years...so I'm not going to worry too much about this contest, unless I had to pay to enter I suppose...

Sometimes the planning is more fun for me, so I thought I'd share what I came up with.

Users who are viewing this thread