What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (1 Viewer)

Interesting look at Football Outsiders. Their 10's:

Sammy Baugh, Tom Brady, Otto Graham, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Jim Brown, Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, Anthony Munoz, Alan Page, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor.

So, that's 12 guys that got the highest rating from them. Feels like defense is under represented (25%) as is the offensive line, with just one 10. QB feels a little heavy and I think there are arguments that could move Brady, Graham and Manning down to an 8 or a 9. I think Brown, Hutson, Munoz, Rice and Baugh are the only real locks for the highest rating overall on the offensive side of the ball.

So who are the top 100? Let's figure out who they are independent of order. Here's my guess:QB - Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, Brady, Tarkenton, NamathRB - Payton, Brown, Sayers, Grange, Sanders, Tomlinson, Emmitt, Faulk, Dickerson, Campbell, Moore, and probably FrancoWR - Rice, Alworth, Hutson, Harrison, Moss, Owens, Largent, Irvin TE - Ditka, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Mackey, WinslowOL - Webster, Munoz, Hannah, Slater, Groza, Gregg, Upshaw, Hein, AllenDL - Reggie White, Lilly, Deacon Jones, Marchetti, Greene, Randy White, Page, Eller, Bruce Smith, Strahan, SelmonLB - Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Bednarik, Lanier, Lewis, Seau, BrooksDB - Sanders, Blount, Lott, Lane, Rod WoodsonThat's only 71 players. I feel pretty sure I'm light on OL and defense in general. Who else?
Off the top of my head at 5am...QB - Staubach/Bradshaw/Fouts/StarrRB - Doubt they put Simpson, but who knows. Jim Taylor, Thurman Thomas and Curtis Smith may make it.WR - Raymond Berry, Paul Warfield, Don MaynardTE - Gates, NewsomeOL - Jim Parker, Jim Otto, Ron Mix, Matthews, Roaf, DawsonDT - Leo Nomellini, Alan PageToo tired to go on.... will check back in a bit.

So who are the top 100? Let's figure out who they are independent of order. Here's my guess:QB - Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, Brady, Tarkenton, NamathRB - Payton, Brown, Sayers, Grange, Sanders, Tomlinson, Emmitt, Faulk, Dickerson, Campbell, Moore, and probably FrancoWR - Rice, Alworth, Hutson, Harrison, Moss, Owens, Largent, Irvin TE - Ditka, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Mackey, WinslowOL - Webster, Munoz, Hannah, Slater, Groza, Gregg, Upshaw, Hein, AllenDL - Reggie White, Lilly, Deacon Jones, Marchetti, Greene, Randy White, Page, Eller, Bruce Smith, Strahan, SelmonLB - Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Bednarik, Lanier, Lewis, Seau, BrooksDB - Sanders, Blount, Lott, Lane, Rod WoodsonThat's only 71 players. I feel pretty sure I'm light on OL and defense in general. Who else?
Off the top of my head at 5am...QB - Staubach/Bradshaw/Fouts/StarrRB - Doubt they put Simpson, but who knows. Jim Taylor, Thurman Thomas and Curtis Smith may make it.WR - Raymond Berry, Paul Warfield, Don MaynardTE - Gates, NewsomeOL - Jim Parker, Jim Otto, Ron Mix, Matthews, Roaf, DawsonDT - Leo Nomellini, Alan PageToo tired to go on.... will check back in a bit.
I think you could include Walter Jones and Johnathan Odgen to the OL list, prototypes of the new age tackles. Possible Ed Reed makes it at safety, but safeties generally get disrespected by the Hall of Fame

I wonder how many QBs are going to be in this top 100. Two so far - Namath and Tarkenton. I'd put at least these guys in front of them (in no particular order): Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, and Brady above them. And in Aikman's interview on Irvin, they asked if he'd put Irvin above himself, as if he is in the top 100...
I can gaurantee you that Bradshaw and Staubach are in there if Fran Tarkenton and Joe Namath are in there. And I don't get the comment "as if he is in the top 100....." like Aikman doesn't deserve to be in there when those teams were some of the best in NFL history. If Michael Irvin is in the top 100, Aikman who was twice as important as Michael Irvin is definately in there.

Add Ray Nitschke who will absolutely make the list, Bob Lilly, and potentially Charles Haley who has like 5 or 6 Sb's although this is more of a longshot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome first episode, I even watched the rerun that came on immediately after. The program was done very professionally and I love how they used John Randle to make the case for Larry Allen... :D

I'm sitting here trying to figure out who might be on the list and it appears that some old school guys might get the short end. The Football Outsider dude stated that their rankings don't work before 1993.

Also IIRC, it was mentioned that 8 members of America's team made it. Considering that they started in 1960 and have 8 members it makes me wonder how many players the Bears and Packers have.

PhilLynott said:
Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness....
On Namath, I'm ok with his being there.He was a modern QB of the sort that could be expected to line up today, a pocket passer, a downfield thrower. Maybe the first one, after Unitas?As for his accomplishments, it was just one game but that game helped make modern sport and made the new NFL legit; the NFL became a unique 2 conference league, not a one conference league with some kind of developmental play-in. That was a GREAT Colts team and a great Colts defense and Namath commanded one of the all time great upsets. The guy only had 4-1/2 serious, legitimate full seasons but he had a major impact in those years. I don't know how you leave him out.

Chase Stuart said:
Just Win Baby said:
Just in case they fill in across all time periods, ahat about these past greats?Luckman?Nagurski?Starr?Hornung?Yary?McElhenny?Van Brocklin?Van Buren?Joe Perry?Tom Fears?Crazy Legs Hirsch?Len Dawson?Roger Wilson?Layne?Tommy Nobis?

zilladog said:
Ray lewis has to make this list somewhere.
If not the whole list is a sham. Ray Lewis is THE best MLB to ever play. Not sure anyone could make an argument against that.

DaWidowMaker said:
Awesome first episode, I even watched the rerun that came on immediately after. The program was done very professionally and I love how they used John Randle to make the case for Larry Allen... :confused:
I thought the same thing. I was looking forward to the show and episode 1 didn't disappoint.

Joe Namath continues to be the most overrated player in the history of sports. Really enjoyed the show though.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
Just Win Baby said:
I wonder how many QBs are going to be in this top 100. Two so far - Namath and Tarkenton. I'd put at least these guys in front of them (in no particular order): Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, and Brady above them. And in Aikman's interview on Irvin, they asked if he'd put Irvin above himself, as if he is in the top 100...
I can gaurantee you that Bradshaw and Staubach are in there if Fran Tarkenton and Joe Namath are in there. And I don't get the comment "as if he is in the top 100....." like Aikman doesn't deserve to be in there when those teams were some of the best in NFL history. If Michael Irvin is in the top 100, Aikman who was twice as important as Michael Irvin is definately in there.
I already agreed about Bradshaw and Staubach earlier. And I suspect Starr will also be in there. I wasn't meaning to knock Aikman, but I do not consider him to be among the top 100 players in NFL history. If all four of those guys are in along with everyone else I named, that's going to be 16 QBs in the top 100. Is that too many given all the other positions?I tend to agree that I wouldn't have had Irvin in there either.

Two things I wanted to mention.

1. I am shocked that Derrick Brooks was only 97th on the list. He is an 11 time pro bowler, 5 time 1st team all pro, 4 time second team all pro, 2002 defensive player of the year, 187 AV, 138 career weighting AV, 90 AV for his top 5 years.

2. There definitely is a great argument for Ray Lewis as being the top MLB of all time. An objective argument really gives him a strong case.

*11 pro bowls (MOST ever for ILB/MLB)

*9 All Pro selections (tied for MOST ever for ILB/MLB)

*188 Approximate Value (MOST ever for ILB/MLB)

*143 Career Approximate Value (MOST ever for ANY LB, outside or inside)

*97 Approximate Value for 5 best seasons (Most for ANY LB, outside or inside)

*2 DPOY awards (one in a 4-3 and one in 3-4)

*led 10 top 6 defenses in the last 11 years

*SB champion and SB MVP

*Playoff performance: 13 games, 130 tackles, 1 sack, 2 int, 5 ff, 1 fr, 13 pd, 1 td

*coaching tree: Del Rio, Singletary, Nolan, Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, among others have coached Lewis and gone on to head coaching jobs.

*Influence: Beason, Willis, Merriman, Morrison, Tatupu, Vilma, among others have cited Lewis as a mentor. As well as Offensive players such as Chad OchoCinco

*Longevity: No other MLB/ILB has ever been a 1st team all pro in his 13 or 14th seasons and Lewis did it in BOTH seasons. Lewis was a 2nd team all pro his 2nd season and a 1st team all pro in his 14th.

*Stats: 1770 tackles, 36.5 sacks, 94.5 tackles for loss, 28 int, 14 ff, 16 fr, 105 pd, 2 td, 1 safety

*Big plays: Lewis still makes huge hits and plays even in his 14th season last year. The hit on Sproles, the hits on Eddie George and Bettis in the past, hit on OchoCinco last season, etc.......

Lewis's body of work is very compelling. He has stats, playoff performance, a championship, accolades, longevity, and lasting influence on the game. Any way people want to judge a player's career Lewis has exceeded the expectations.

I would put Lewis in the 20s.

Just Win Baby said:
Nice group! I'll just add one or two names to each position who I believe should be on the list.QB - Tough to find any others at the position, especially since Namath made this list, he's not worthy, IMHO. But I'll go with Dan Fouts.RB - No matter how people feel about him, putting the emotions aside, no way O.J. Simpson is not on this list. The first man to amass 2,000 yards rushing, in 14 games! Franco???WR - Otis Taylor......didn't play in a pass-frenzy era, but was truly an impact player. 17.5 ypr over his career and one of the first "big" WRs at 6'3" 215lbs....in the late 60s to early 70s, he was huge for the position, with great athleticismTE - Ozzie Newsome has to be on this list, ahead of Sharpe, no doubt! I would put Gates in ahead of Ditka, all day and twice on Sundays...Gates ahead of Sharpe, tooOL - Art Shell is probably right up there with Munoz, 1A and 1B, either order, as the best LTs in the history of the game. Makes this list ahead of Upshaw, if push comes to shove. Orlando Pace isn't far behind these guys, he'll make it. So will Dwight Stephenson. Bruce Matthews, Willie Roaf, Jerry Kramer also get strong consideration.DL - Howie Long, Bryant Young, Richard Dent, Steve McMichael, Charles Haley all strong possibilitiesLB - Tough to find another candidate, but Rickey Jackson, Bobby Bell could make it.....Nitschke's overratedDB - Plenty of guys who easily could make it here.....Ed Reed, Ken Houston, Willie Brown, Herb Adderley, Lem Barney, Jack Tatum, Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, Dale Carter, Eric AllenYeah, great series ahead. Love the storytelling aspect.

2. There definitely is a great argument for Ray Lewis as being the top MLB of all time. An objective argument really gives him a strong case. *11 pro bowls (MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *9 All Pro selections (tied for MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *188 Approximate Value (MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *143 Career Approximate Value (MOST ever for ANY LB, outside or inside) *97 Approximate Value for 5 best seasons (Most for ANY LB, outside or inside)*2 DPOY awards (one in a 4-3 and one in 3-4) *led 10 top 6 defenses in the last 11 years *SB champion and SB MVP *Playoff performance: 13 games, 130 tackles, 1 sack, 2 int, 5 ff, 1 fr, 13 pd, 1 td *coaching tree: Del Rio, Singletary, Nolan, Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, among others have coached Lewis and gone on to head coaching jobs. *Influence: Beason, Willis, Merriman, Morrison, Tatupu, Vilma, among others have cited Lewis as a mentor. As well as Offensive players such as Chad OchoCinco *Longevity: No other MLB/ILB has ever been a 1st team all pro in his 13 or 14th seasons and Lewis did it in BOTH seasons. Lewis was a 2nd team all pro his 2nd season and a 1st team all pro in his 14th. *Stats: 1770 tackles, 36.5 sacks, 94.5 tackles for loss, 28 int, 14 ff, 16 fr, 105 pd, 2 td, 1 safety *Big plays: Lewis still makes huge hits and plays even in his 14th season last year. The hit on Sproles, the hits on Eddie George and Bettis in the past, hit on OchoCinco last season, etc....... Lewis's body of work is very compelling. He has stats, playoff performance, a championship, accolades, longevity, and lasting influence on the game. Any way people want to judge a player's career Lewis has exceeded the expectations. I would put Lewis in the 20s.
:goodposting:ETA: I might even put him in the Teens. When you really look at it... how many players would you take ahead of him if you were building a team? I'd have a hard time thinking of 20 better players.

Namath is lucky to even be on this list. I've never seen a player living off 1 game and a good marketing campaign like this in my life. The guy threw more interceptions than touchdowns in 11 of his 13 seasons. He had 7 seasons with <50% completion percentage. Just because he threw a lot for the era, doesn't mean he was that good at it.

Another interesting Ray Lewis fact. Since the merger (1970) he has the best single season AV for an ILB (2000 season), 4 of the top 10 seasons, and 6 of the top 18 seasons. In that same span no other ILB has more than 2 seasons in the top 18.

2. There definitely is a great argument for Ray Lewis as being the top MLB of all time. An objective argument really gives him a strong case. *11 pro bowls (MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *9 All Pro selections (tied for MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *188 Approximate Value (MOST ever for ILB/MLB) *143 Career Approximate Value (MOST ever for ANY LB, outside or inside) *97 Approximate Value for 5 best seasons (Most for ANY LB, outside or inside)*2 DPOY awards (one in a 4-3 and one in 3-4) *led 10 top 6 defenses in the last 11 years *SB champion and SB MVP *Playoff performance: 13 games, 130 tackles, 1 sack, 2 int, 5 ff, 1 fr, 13 pd, 1 td *coaching tree: Del Rio, Singletary, Nolan, Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, among others have coached Lewis and gone on to head coaching jobs. *Influence: Beason, Willis, Merriman, Morrison, Tatupu, Vilma, among others have cited Lewis as a mentor. As well as Offensive players such as Chad OchoCinco *Longevity: No other MLB/ILB has ever been a 1st team all pro in his 13 or 14th seasons and Lewis did it in BOTH seasons. Lewis was a 2nd team all pro his 2nd season and a 1st team all pro in his 14th. *Stats: 1770 tackles, 36.5 sacks, 94.5 tackles for loss, 28 int, 14 ff, 16 fr, 105 pd, 2 td, 1 safety *Big plays: Lewis still makes huge hits and plays even in his 14th season last year. The hit on Sproles, the hits on Eddie George and Bettis in the past, hit on OchoCinco last season, etc....... Lewis's body of work is very compelling. He has stats, playoff performance, a championship, accolades, longevity, and lasting influence on the game. Any way people want to judge a player's career Lewis has exceeded the expectations. I would put Lewis in the 20s.
:goodposting:ETA: I might even put him in the Teens. When you really look at it... how many players would you take ahead of him if you were building a team? I'd have a hard time thinking of 20 better players.
I agree but a lot of people have a hard time admitting how great Lewis is/has been. These arguments never have much factual backing. They are normally, "I don't like Lewis, therefore he was never that good." or "I liked Butkus a lot as a kid so NO argument will suffice to show anyone else is the best all time."

Add Ray Nitschke who will absolutely make the list, Bob Lilly, and potentially Charles Haley who has like 5 or 6 Sb's although this is more of a longshot.
Nitschke is well remembered as an iconic figure of the Packers, but he wasn't considered among tops at his position by the sportswriters of the day.Maxie Baughan (9-OLB), **** Butkus (6-ILB), Joe Schmidt (6-ILB), Joe Furtnato (5-OLB), Sm Huff (5-ILB), Chuck Howley (5-OLB) all made several more Pro Bowls than Nitcshke's, who was so honored only once in his career. Bill George was a much better player whose career overlapped, too. He was generally missing out on all the Pro Bowls and All Pro honors to Butkus and Schmidt (and before them, Huff and George) -- nothing to be embarassed about, but I'd suspect all of those guys come in ahead of him on this list, too. Lee Roy Jordan, Tommy Nobis and Les Richter were beating him out, too, and then you have Willie Lanier and Nick Buoniconti over in the AFL to consider.

I will be shocked if Troy Aikman doesn't make this list. I am not saying he should make it, but for those voting, a three-time Super Bowl winning QB - one who was the MVP of one of those SB wins - is probably a no-brainer.

Just Win Baby said:
**** "Night Train" Lane is a lock. He is easily amongst the greatest DBs of all time and the fact that his INT record still stands today is amazing when you consider he played in a 12 game season when teams did not pass nearly as much as they do today. He should be in the top 20, but the inevitable overrating of the skill positions and modern players will likely mess up the ranking.

I will be shocked if Troy Aikman doesn't make this list. I am not saying he should make it, but for those voting, a three-time Super Bowl winning QB - one who was the MVP of one of those SB wins - is probably a no-brainer.
This is where things get interesting. If Aikman is a no-brainer, where does Starr, with his 5 championships and two Super Bowl MVP's rate? What about Sammy Baugh who basically invented the modern passing game.

Just Win Baby said:
**** "Night Train" Lane is a lock. He is easily amongst the greatest DBs of all time and the fact that his INT record still stands today is amazing when you consider he played in a 12 game season when teams did not pass nearly as much as they do today. He should be in the top 20, but the inevitable overrating of the skill positions and modern players will likely mess up the ranking.
You saw that I listed him, right?

I would actually argue that Night Train is one of the 5 greatest defensive players ever. From what I know he changed playing the secondary in a way that LT changed LB play.

Just Win Baby said:
Lane is great, but there's nothing "amazing" about what you're considering. Yes, teams passed much less frequently in 1952 than they do in 2010. And sure, they played in only 75% of the games they do now. But that doesn't matter when INTs are much, much less common today than yesterday. In 1952, the average team threw 24.8 INTs per season. In 2009, the average team threw 16.4 INTs. Yeah, teams in 1952 only averaged 335 passes per season (27.9 per game), almost exactly 200 fewer passes than they did in 2009 (and teams averaged 33.3 passes per game last year); but the INT rate has dropped from 7.4% to 3.1%. It was a lot easier to get interceptions in the '50s than today, and that's why it's not surprising that someone from that era holds the INT record.

This is where things get interesting. If Aikman is a no-brainer, where does Starr, with his 5 championships and two Super Bowl MVP's rate? What about Sammy Baugh who basically invented the modern passing game.
In no way should Aikman get it in. The guy was fortunate to play on a loaded Dallas team. He never led the league any meaningful stat and was the 3rd best QB of his era- at best.

Just Win Baby said:
Lane is great, but there's nothing "amazing" about what you're considering. Yes, teams passed much less frequently in 1952 than they do in 2010. And sure, they played in only 75% of the games they do now. But that doesn't matter when INTs are much, much less common today than yesterday. In 1952, the average team threw 24.8 INTs per season. In 2009, the average team threw 16.4 INTs. Yeah, teams in 1952 only averaged 335 passes per season (27.9 per game), almost exactly 200 fewer passes than they did in 2009 (and teams averaged 33.3 passes per game last year); but the INT rate has dropped from 7.4% to 3.1%. It was a lot easier to get interceptions in the '50s than today, and that's why it's not surprising that someone from that era holds the INT record.
Good info, I still don't think that discounts his place on a very show list of the all time great DBs.

Just Win Baby said:
Good info, I still don't think that discounts his place on a very show list of the all time great DBs.
Did you ever see him tackle? You can debate interceptions all day long but his size and speed in the secondary absolutely put the fear of death in opposing players.

In no way should Aikman get it in. The guy was fortunate to play on a loaded Dallas team. He never led the league any meaningful stat and was the 3rd best QB of his era- at best.
3rd best? I would say 5th best AT BEST, unless anyone really thinks he was a better QB than any of the following: YoungElwayFavreMarino

Just Win Baby said:
Did you ever see him tackle? You can debate interceptions all day long but his size and speed in the secondary absolutely put the fear of death in opposing players.
Night Train Necktie. He is without a doubt one of the 2 or 3 most feared tacklers ever. He is credited as being one of the first bump and run corners, had amazing ball skills, and hit like a LB. The guy was vicious...all that from an undrafted junior college walk-on.

3rd best? I would say 5th best AT BEST, unless anyone really thinks he was a better QB than any of the following: YoungElwayFavreMarino
I guess I would count Marino and Elway as being 80s QBs and Aikman a 90s QB...regardless, Aikman was the in the right place at the right time and not an all time great.

I guess I would count Marino and Elway as being 80s QBs and Aikman a 90s QB...regardless, Aikman was the in the right place at the right time and not an all time great.
I think Kurt Warner may be on this list because it seems like I saw a preview for this and it showed him.

I know that it was a complete oversight on your part, but there was a fellow named Jim Kelly. (Yes I love my Bills.)

Elway retired in 1998, Marino in 1999, Aikman in 2000. :no:Agree Aikman doesn't belong in the top 100.

Nitschke is well remembered as an iconic figure of the Packers, but he wasn't considered among tops at his position by the sportswriters of the day.Maxie Baughan (9-OLB), **** Butkus (6-ILB), Joe Schmidt (6-ILB), Joe Furtnato (5-OLB), Sm Huff (5-ILB), Chuck Howley (5-OLB) all made several more Pro Bowls than Nitcshke's, who was so honored only once in his career. Bill George was a much better player whose career overlapped, too. He was generally missing out on all the Pro Bowls and All Pro honors to Butkus and Schmidt (and before them, Huff and George) -- nothing to be embarassed about, but I'd suspect all of those guys come in ahead of him on this list, too.
I knew this would come up. Pro Bowls are nice, but they shouldn't be heavily weighted in discussions like this.Ex: Vince Young has "earned" two Pro Bowl berths. Five minutes after he retires, nobody will ever remember he was in the NFL.

Nitschke is well remembered as an iconic figure of the Packers, but he wasn't considered among tops at his position by the sportswriters of the day.Maxie Baughan (9-OLB), **** Butkus (6-ILB), Joe Schmidt (6-ILB), Joe Furtnato (5-OLB), Sm Huff (5-ILB), Chuck Howley (5-OLB) all made several more Pro Bowls than Nitcshke's, who was so honored only once in his career. Bill George was a much better player whose career overlapped, too. He was generally missing out on all the Pro Bowls and All Pro honors to Butkus and Schmidt (and before them, Huff and George) -- nothing to be embarassed about, but I'd suspect all of those guys come in ahead of him on this list, too.
I knew this would come up. Pro Bowls are nice, but they shouldn't be heavily weighted in discussions like this.Ex: Vince Young has "earned" two Pro Bowl berths. Five minutes after he retires, nobody will ever remember he was in the NFL.
Agreed. Pro Bowls are over rated. I personally think that to be one of the 100 best ever a player should have been DOMINANT in his era. Hutson, Baugh, Motley, Parker, Rice, Montana, Lane, Payton, Barry, Marino, etc. Theses guys may have made many Pro Bowls but their performance was beyond their peers.

Agreed. Pro Bowls are over rated. I personally think that to be one of the 100 best ever a player should have been DOMINANT in his era. Hutson, Baugh, Motley, Parker, Rice, Montana, Lane, Payton, Barry, Marino, etc. Theses guys may have made many Pro Bowls but their performance was beyond their peers.
This is very true. However, back when Nitcshke played there wasn't any fan voting involved so in many ways the Pro Bowl was another All-Pro team. I like to use All Pro Appearances (1st or 2nd team) above pro bowls. It that regard Nitcshke was a 5 time all pro selection (2 1st teams/3 2nd teams). 5 All Pro selections is pretty good but there are many ILB that have more. I'm sure his position as the leader of the Packers defense in the 60s will get him on this list though.

Elway retired in 1998, Marino in 1999, Aikman in 2000. :goodposting:Agree Aikman doesn't belong in the top 100.
Yeah, even more reason Marino and Elway were better, for such a longer period of time. Aikman was drafted 6 years after them, but retired around the same time.

All Pro Selections for ILB/MLB

1. Joe Schmidt- 9 total selections (8 1st team selections)

2. Ray Lewis- 9 total selections (7 1st team selections)

3. Bill George- 8 total selections (8 1st team selections)

4. Mike Singletary- 8 total selections (7 1st team selections)

5. Jack Lambert- 7 total selections (6 1st team selections)

6t. Nick Buoniconti- 7 total selections (5 1st team selections)

6t. Zach Thomas-7 total selections (5 1st team selections)

8. D*ck Butkus- 6 total selections (5 1st team selections)

9. 5 Players tied with 5 overall selections

I am a bit more impressed with Lewis and Singletary's all pro selections because they are post merger with many more teams. So a spot on the All Pro team is much harder to make. Schmidt and George played in an era where the most teams were 14 so it was easier to get an all pro selection.

Here is my 100

1. Don Hutson

2. Jerry Rice

3. Jim Brown

4. Lawrence Taylor

5. Sammy Baugh

6. Walter Payton

7. Otto Graham

8. Jim Thorpe

9. **** Butkus

10. Bob Lilly

11. Jim Parker

12. Barry Sanders

13. Deacon Jones

14. Joe Greene

15. Gino Marchetti

16. John Elway

17. Anthony Munoz

18. Ray Nitschke

19. Night Train Lane

20. John Hannah

21. Gale Sayers

22. Reggie White

23. Ronnie Lott

24. Ray Lewis

25. Merlin Olsen

26. O.J. Simpson

27. Dan Marino

28. Forrest Gregg

29. Roger Staubach

30. Jack Ham

31. Lance Alworth

32. Leo Nomellini

33. Earl Campbell

34. Alan Page

35. Bronko Nagurski

36. Mel Blount

37. Deion Sanders

38. Eric Dickerson

39. Sid Luckman

40. Raymond Berry

41. Bart Starr

42. Willie Lanier

43. Larry Wilson

44. Terry Bradshaw

45. Herb Adderley

46. Steve Largent

47. Jack Lambert

48. Mike Ditka

49. Bill George

50. Willie Brown

51. Randy White

52. Bobby Layne

53. Tony Dorsett

54. Chuck Bednarik

55. Art Shell

56. Mike Singletary

57. Roosevelt Brown

58. Bruce Smith

59. Fran Tarkenton

60. Paul Warfield

61. Ken Houston

62. Gene Upshaw

63. Steve Young

64. Ted Hendricks

65. Joe Schmidt

66. Bobby Bell

67. Buck Buchanan

68. Emmitt Smith

69. Willie Davis

70. Emlen Tunnell

71. Lenny Moore

72. Marcus Allen

73. Kellen Winslow

74. Mel Hein

75. Mike Webster

76. Sam Huff

77. Steve Van Buren

78. Jim Otto

79. Larry Little

80. Red Grange

81. Darrell Green

82. Brett Favre

83. Franco Harris

84. Dwight Stephenson

85. Charley Taylor

86. Jack Christiansen

87. Rod Woodson

88. Cookie Gilchrist

89. Elroy Hirsch

90. Rich Jackson

91. Art Monk

92. Dan Fouts

93. Mike Haynes

94. Fred Biletnikoff

95. Troy Aikman

96. Jack Youngblood

97. Lem Barney

98. George Blanda

99. Lou Groza

100. Charlie Joiner

Here is my 1001. Don Hutson2. Jerry Rice3. Jim Brown4. Lawrence Taylor5. Sammy Baugh6. Walter Payton7. Otto Graham8. Jim Thorpe9. **** Butkus10. Bob Lilly11. Jim Parker12. Barry Sanders13. Deacon Jones14. Joe Greene15. Gino Marchetti16. John Elway17. Anthony Munoz18. Ray Nitschke19. Night Train Lane20. John Hannah21. Gale Sayers22. Reggie White23. Ronnie Lott24. Ray Lewis25. Merlin Olsen26. O.J. Simpson27. Dan Marino28. Forrest Gregg29. Roger Staubach30. Jack Ham31. Lance Alworth32. Leo Nomellini33. Earl Campbell34. Alan Page35. Bronko Nagurski36. Mel Blount37. Deion Sanders38. Eric Dickerson39. Sid Luckman40. Raymond Berry41. Bart Starr42. Willie Lanier43. Larry Wilson44. Terry Bradshaw45. Herb Adderley46. Steve Largent47. Jack Lambert48. Mike Ditka49. Bill George50. Willie Brown51. Randy White52. Bobby Layne53. Tony Dorsett54. Chuck Bednarik55. Art Shell56. Mike Singletary57. Roosevelt Brown58. Bruce Smith59. Fran Tarkenton60. Paul Warfield61. Ken Houston62. Gene Upshaw63. Steve Young64. Ted Hendricks65. Joe Schmidt66. Bobby Bell67. Buck Buchanan68. Emmitt Smith69. Willie Davis70. Emlen Tunnell71. Lenny Moore72. Marcus Allen73. Kellen Winslow74. Mel Hein75. Mike Webster76. Sam Huff77. Steve Van Buren78. Jim Otto79. Larry Little80. Red Grange81. Darrell Green82. Brett Favre83. Franco Harris84. Dwight Stephenson85. Charley Taylor86. Jack Christiansen87. Rod Woodson88. Cookie Gilchrist89. Elroy Hirsch90. Rich Jackson91. Art Monk92. Dan Fouts93. Mike Haynes94. Fred Biletnikoff95. Troy Aikman96. Jack Youngblood97. Lem Barney98. George Blanda99. Lou Groza100. Charlie Joiner
101. Joe Montana?

Just Win Baby said:
For sure. Not a knock on Lane at all. His INT numbers are impressive, and his all around game was even more impressive. Just noting that his INT numbers aren't more impressive because they occurred in the '50s.

Night Train Necktie. He is without a doubt one of the 2 or 3 most feared tacklers ever. He is credited as being one of the first bump and run corners, had amazing ball skills, and hit like a LB. The guy was vicious...all that from an undrafted junior college walk-on.
Something I wrote earlier this year:Night Train Lane - born in Austin, Texas in 1928, **** Lane was a teenager a couple of decades too early to play football for the not-yet-integrated Longhorns. When he graduated high school he went to the football powerhouse known as Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff for a year before deciding to join the Army. After four years there, the 24-year-old Lane went to Los Angeles looking to play wide receiver. Unfortunately, the Rams already had a couple of Hall of Famers in their primes in 1952 -- Elroy Hirsch and Tom Fears -- so that wasn't an option for Lane. Still wearing #81, the coaches moved Lane to cornerback and became one of the game's all-time greats. Many undrafted free agents, if they ever succeed in the NFL, are nonfactors their first couple of seasons. In Lane's rookie year he set the NFL record for interceptions in a season, a mark that still stands 58 years later. "Night Train" was bigger and faster than most of the receivers he covered, and he was probably tougher than all of them, too. When he retired, Lane had starred at corner for the Rams, Cardinals and Lions, made 7 Pro Bowls and had been named to numerous all-pro teams.

Here is my 1001. Don Hutson2. Jerry Rice3. Jim Brown4. Lawrence Taylor5. Sammy Baugh6. Walter Payton7. Otto Graham8. Jim Thorpe9. **** Butkus10. Bob Lilly11. Jim Parker12. Barry Sanders13. Deacon Jones14. Joe Greene15. Gino Marchetti16. John Elway17. Anthony Munoz18. Ray Nitschke19. Night Train Lane20. John Hannah21. Gale Sayers22. Reggie White23. Ronnie Lott24. Ray Lewis25. Merlin Olsen26. O.J. Simpson27. Dan Marino28. Forrest Gregg29. Roger Staubach30. Jack Ham31. Lance Alworth32. Leo Nomellini33. Earl Campbell34. Alan Page35. Bronko Nagurski36. Mel Blount37. Deion Sanders38. Eric Dickerson39. Sid Luckman40. Raymond Berry41. Bart Starr42. Willie Lanier43. Larry Wilson44. Terry Bradshaw45. Herb Adderley46. Steve Largent47. Jack Lambert48. Mike Ditka49. Bill George50. Willie Brown51. Randy White52. Bobby Layne53. Tony Dorsett54. Chuck Bednarik55. Art Shell56. Mike Singletary57. Roosevelt Brown58. Bruce Smith59. Fran Tarkenton60. Paul Warfield61. Ken Houston62. Gene Upshaw63. Steve Young64. Ted Hendricks65. Joe Schmidt66. Bobby Bell67. Buck Buchanan68. Emmitt Smith69. Willie Davis70. Emlen Tunnell71. Lenny Moore72. Marcus Allen73. Kellen Winslow74. Mel Hein75. Mike Webster76. Sam Huff77. Steve Van Buren78. Jim Otto79. Larry Little80. Red Grange81. Darrell Green82. Brett Favre83. Franco Harris84. Dwight Stephenson85. Charley Taylor86. Jack Christiansen87. Rod Woodson88. Cookie Gilchrist89. Elroy Hirsch90. Rich Jackson91. Art Monk92. Dan Fouts93. Mike Haynes94. Fred Biletnikoff95. Troy Aikman96. Jack Youngblood97. Lem Barney98. George Blanda99. Lou Groza100. Charlie Joiner
101. Joe Montana?
:tfp:

Another interesting Ray Lewis fact. Since the merger (1970) he has the best single season AV for an ILB (2000 season), 4 of the top 10 seasons, and 6 of the top 18 seasons. In that same span no other ILB has more than 2 seasons in the top 18.
Here's another one for you... I'll pose it in the form of a trivia question.How many RB's rushed for 100yrds or more on the Ray Lewis led Ravens in 51 consecutive games from 1998 through 2001?

Here's another one for you... I'll pose it in the form of a trivia question.How many RB's rushed for 100yrds or more on the Ray Lewis led Ravens in 51 consecutive games from 1998 through 2001?
Zero games. And that streak wasn't broken until Lewis missed a game. Throw in the additional 35 or so game streak that ended last season too.

I hope Bob Lilly is the highest rated player from the Cowboys, I think he's the only one who is the best at his position the organization has ever had. It'll be interesting to see how the list comes together.

Users who are viewing this thread