What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (1 Viewer)

RebelINS said:
I hope Bob Lilly is the highest rated player from the Cowboys, I think he's the only one who is the best at his position the organization has ever had. It'll be interesting to see how the list comes together.
IIRC they mentioned that 8 Cowboys made the list, and we already know Irvin and Allen are two of them. So who are the other 6? Lilly, Randy White, Deion, Emmitt, and Staubach have to be 5 of them. Who is the other, Aikman?

Raider Nation said:
I'll put the entire list in this spot as the names are revealed.100-Joe Namath - QB99 - Michael Strahan - DE98 - Lee Roy Selmon - DE97 - Derrick Brooks - LB96 - Mel Hein - C95 - Larry Allen - G/T94 - Lenny Moore - RB93 - Sam Huff - LB92 - Michael Irvin - WR91 - Fran Tarkenton - QB
Larry Allen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Irvin

Here is my 1001. Don Hutson2. Jerry Rice3. Jim Brown4. Lawrence Taylor5. Sammy Baugh6. Walter Payton7. Otto Graham8. Jim Thorpe9. **** Butkus10. Bob Lilly11. Jim Parker12. Barry Sanders13. Deacon Jones14. Joe Greene15. Gino Marchetti16. John Elway17. Anthony Munoz18. Ray Nitschke19. Night Train Lane20. John Hannah21. Gale Sayers22. Reggie White23. Ronnie Lott24. Ray Lewis25. Merlin Olsen26. O.J. Simpson27. Dan Marino28. Forrest Gregg29. Roger Staubach30. Jack Ham31. Lance Alworth32. Leo Nomellini33. Earl Campbell34. Alan Page35. Bronko Nagurski36. Mel Blount37. Deion Sanders38. Eric Dickerson39. Sid Luckman40. Raymond Berry41. Bart Starr42. Willie Lanier43. Larry Wilson44. Terry Bradshaw45. Herb Adderley46. Steve Largent47. Jack Lambert48. Mike Ditka49. Bill George50. Willie Brown51. Randy White52. Bobby Layne53. Tony Dorsett54. Chuck Bednarik55. Art Shell56. Mike Singletary57. Roosevelt Brown58. Bruce Smith59. Fran Tarkenton60. Paul Warfield61. Ken Houston62. Gene Upshaw63. Steve Young64. Ted Hendricks65. Joe Schmidt66. Bobby Bell67. Buck Buchanan68. Emmitt Smith69. Willie Davis70. Emlen Tunnell71. Lenny Moore72. Marcus Allen73. Kellen Winslow74. Mel Hein75. Mike Webster76. Sam Huff77. Steve Van Buren78. Jim Otto79. Larry Little80. Red Grange81. Darrell Green82. Brett Favre83. Franco Harris84. Dwight Stephenson85. Charley Taylor86. Jack Christiansen87. Rod Woodson88. Cookie Gilchrist89. Elroy Hirsch90. Rich Jackson91. Art Monk92. Dan Fouts93. Mike Haynes94. Fred Biletnikoff95. Troy Aikman96. Jack Youngblood97. Lem Barney98. George Blanda99. Lou Groza100. Charlie Joiner
101. Joe Montana?
:shock:
Actually I had Montana at 14 and I hoped that you guys would not notice. Montana as a member of the 101st airborne would be quite an honor.

have not read all the thread so this may have been talked about

heard an interview on NFL radio last week with the director of this series. he said the 1960 has the most players from one decade

Here is my 1001. Don Hutson2. Jerry Rice3. Jim Brown4. Lawrence Taylor5. Sammy Baugh6. Walter Payton7. Otto Graham8. Jim Thorpe9. **** Butkus10. Bob Lilly11. Jim Parker12. Barry Sanders13. Deacon Jones14. Joe Greene15. Gino Marchetti16. John Elway17. Anthony Munoz18. Ray Nitschke19. Night Train Lane20. John Hannah21. Gale Sayers22. Reggie White23. Ronnie Lott24. Ray Lewis25. Merlin Olsen26. O.J. Simpson27. Dan Marino28. Forrest Gregg29. Roger Staubach30. Jack Ham31. Lance Alworth32. Leo Nomellini33. Earl Campbell34. Alan Page35. Bronko Nagurski36. Mel Blount37. Deion Sanders38. Eric Dickerson39. Sid Luckman40. Raymond Berry41. Bart Starr42. Willie Lanier43. Larry Wilson44. Terry Bradshaw45. Herb Adderley46. Steve Largent47. Jack Lambert48. Mike Ditka49. Bill George50. Willie Brown51. Randy White52. Bobby Layne53. Tony Dorsett54. Chuck Bednarik55. Art Shell56. Mike Singletary57. Roosevelt Brown58. Bruce Smith59. Fran Tarkenton60. Paul Warfield61. Ken Houston62. Gene Upshaw63. Steve Young64. Ted Hendricks65. Joe Schmidt66. Bobby Bell67. Buck Buchanan68. Emmitt Smith69. Willie Davis70. Emlen Tunnell71. Lenny Moore72. Marcus Allen73. Kellen Winslow74. Mel Hein75. Mike Webster76. Sam Huff77. Steve Van Buren78. Jim Otto79. Larry Little80. Red Grange81. Darrell Green82. Brett Favre83. Franco Harris84. Dwight Stephenson85. Charley Taylor86. Jack Christiansen87. Rod Woodson88. Cookie Gilchrist89. Elroy Hirsch90. Rich Jackson91. Art Monk92. Dan Fouts93. Mike Haynes94. Fred Biletnikoff95. Troy Aikman96. Jack Youngblood97. Lem Barney98. George Blanda99. Lou Groza100. Charlie Joiner
101. Joe Montana?
:rolleyes:
Actually I had Montana at 14 and I hoped that you guys would not notice. Montana as a member of the 101st airborne would be quite an honor.
Gotcha. Was Johnny Unitas #15? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else think there will be a curve ball thrown in there and somebody like Ray Guy makes the list. He is the greatest punter in NFL history.

RebelINS said:
I hope Bob Lilly is the highest rated player from the Cowboys, I think he's the only one who is the best at his position the organization has ever had. It'll be interesting to see how the list comes together.
IIRC they mentioned that 8 Cowboys made the list, and we already know Irvin and Allen are two of them. So who are the other 6? Lilly, Randy White, Deion, Emmitt, and Staubach have to be 5 of them. Who is the other, Aikman?
My dad and I were discussing this today. Aikman probably made it but it could be Cliff Harris, he made the initial "Top 50 at 50" list they did back in the day if I recall and was a member of the All-70s team.

Anybody else think there will be a curve ball thrown in there and somebody like Ray Guy makes the list. He is the greatest punter in NFL history.
No he's not, contrary to popular opinion. And, no, he won't be in the show's top 100.

RebelINS said:
My dad and I were discussing this today. Aikman probably made it but it could be Cliff Harris, he made the initial "Top 50 at 50" list they did back in the day if I recall and was a member of the All-70s team.
Hard for me to imagine the NFL Network ranking a player in its top 100 who isn't in the HOF. I don't see that happening.

No he's not, contrary to popular opinion.
Let me guess. Sammy Baugh?"I was never much for hang time until we got Ray. But then we started clocking how long his punt hung in the air. Sometimes he kept it up there as long as six seconds! The best punter I've ever seen."– John Madden, former Raider Coach

"He's only the greatest kicker who ever lived." — Curley Hallman, Southern Mississippi Head Coach

"He's the first punter you could look at and say, 'He won games.'" — Joe Horrigan, Pro Football Hall of Fame historian

"Few people can say they were the best ever at what they did. Ray Guy retired with that satisfaction." –Chuck Abadie, The Hattiesburg American

"A helluva athlete, the best ever to play his position in the history of the game." — Al Davis, Oakland Raiders Owner

"Those who earn their living in pro football say he's the finest punter in the history of the world." — The Sporting News

Think back over the history of any sport. Very often there has been one guy who stood out above the superstars – just as Ray Guy stands out in punting. It just happens." — Tex Schramm

===============

The good news is... if it's NOT Ray Guy, the "Best Punter Ever" title will still be in the Raider family when Shane Lechler retires.

Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness.Irvin led the league in receiving yards in 1991 but never led in any other statistical category. A HOF'er on a great team, but one of the 100 greatest? I don't think so.Also for you youngsters, look up the names Jim Parker, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and Marion Motley. That should give you a good head start going into the rest of the countdown.
OK I can't let this go.Michael Irvin was much more then numbers. He was a leader. This guys intensity is unmatched. He made players around him better. Every team knew where the ball was going and he still got it done. Every team knew the slant was coming and it was still completed time and time again. He was as physical a wr you will ever find. His teammates looked to him when times were tough. There was never a moment that was to big for this guy. Matter of fact he lived for the big moments. If Irvin was not the player he was the Cowboys would have won zero titles in that time period. Who was the best compliment wr Irvin ever had next to him? This guy made sure that all players practiced hard and if not got in their face. He was much more then the flash everyone saw after a td catch or first down catch. This guy was a warrior on the field and to say he does not deserve to be in the top 100 players because he never led in statical categories is just plain blind. This guy was the passion and heart of a 3 time Super Bowl winning team. He was a winner and demanded nothing less from himself and his teammates. That puts him in the top 100 cause everyone knows this guy had the talent. It takes more then talent to get into the top 100. HE BELONGS

Just saw the updated list... Kurt Warner? The QB? Really? In the history of the NFL?
:confused: Most passing yards in a Super Bowl; single game:1) Kurt Warner, 4142) Kurt Warner, 3773) Kurt Warner, 365And he took two previously-terrible franchises to a Super Bowl. What's the problem?

IMO there is no way Kurt Warner is the 90th best player in NFL history, and there is no way Ed Reed is the 88th best player in NFL history. I didn't see the show yet, as I am on a business trip, but I'll watch when I get home. IMO there are a handful of very questionable selections already.

IMO there is no way Kurt Warner is the 90th best player in NFL history, and there is no way Ed Reed is the 88th best player in NFL history.
You think neither deserves to be on the list?
Correct. IMO both are HOF worthy but not top 100 all time players. Heck, we already named 16 or 17 QBs earlier in this thread without naming Warner once.I also just read the Football Outsiders article, and I'm a bit surprised at some of the names they failed to include on the ballots, with Junior Seau being the most egregious. He probably won't make it due to that, but IMO he is more deserving than several players already named.

IMO, Kurt Warner is a better QB than Joe Montana. Dead serious about that. So was Steve Young, for that matter.
I'm as big a Kurt Warner fan as anyone, but, no. Just, no. Steve Young? Quite possibly. If you took every QB on their best day, Steve Young would be number 1.

Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness.Irvin led the league in receiving yards in 1991 but never led in any other statistical category. A HOF'er on a great team, but one of the 100 greatest? I don't think so.Also for you youngsters, look up the names Jim Parker, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and Marion Motley. That should give you a good head start going into the rest of the countdown.
OK I can't let this go.Michael Irvin was much more then numbers. He was a leader. This guys intensity is unmatched. He made players around him better. Every team knew where the ball was going and he still got it done. Every team knew the slant was coming and it was still completed time and time again. He was as physical a wr you will ever find. His teammates looked to him when times were tough. There was never a moment that was to big for this guy. Matter of fact he lived for the big moments. If Irvin was not the player he was the Cowboys would have won zero titles in that time period. Who was the best compliment wr Irvin ever had next to him? This guy made sure that all players practiced hard and if not got in their face. He was much more then the flash everyone saw after a td catch or first down catch. This guy was a warrior on the field and to say he does not deserve to be in the top 100 players because he never led in statical categories is just plain blind. This guy was the passion and heart of a 3 time Super Bowl winning team. He was a winner and demanded nothing less from himself and his teammates. That puts him in the top 100 cause everyone knows this guy had the talent. It takes more then talent to get into the top 100. HE BELONGS
Blah blah blah... Irvin belongs in neither the HoF nor Top 100.

Raise your hand if you've heard of Mel Hein before tonight. :ph34r:
This is exactly why I LOVE to watch these types of programs. I've watched a lot of NFL Films over the years and I really enjoy seeing good footage and commentary of some of the greats I've never heard of or know little about. The stuff on Hein, Joe Schmidt, and Ernie Nevers was great. I also really like how Steve Sabol highlights the old timers on the NFL Network when they pass away. Very informative and educational, and a tremendous way to honor their memories and their contributions to the game. :goodposting:

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Aikman ahead of Steve Young :rolleyes:
It's bad, but I don't think it's "eye-rolling" bad and I'll tell you why.Does anyone think Aikman couldn't have put up silly video game numbers had he been in Bill Walsh's offense or the Run 'n Shoot offense which Warren Moon ran in Houston? Aikman was incredibly talented, but many people forget that because he didn't NEED to throw the ball 30 times a game. When you play with Emmitt and that O-line, you throw when you need to throw. Aikman was a winner. He shouldn't be punished for having superior talent around him.

Aikman ahead of Steve Young :lmao:
It's bad, but I don't think it's "eye-rolling" bad and I'll tell you why.Does anyone think Aikman couldn't have put up silly video game numbers had he been in Bill Walsh's offense or the Run 'n Shoot offense which Warren Moon ran in Houston? Aikman was incredibly talented, but many people forget that because he didn't NEED to throw the ball 30 times a game. When you play with Emmitt and that O-line, you throw when you need to throw. Aikman was a winner. He shouldn't be punished for having superior talent around him.
It shouldn't matter. Players should be judged only on what they did, not on what they might have done in different situations. That is nothing but speculation. No one can know with 100% certainty that Aikman would have performed as well as or better than Young in that 49ers offense.For that reason, I think it is an eye rolling offense. Aikman shouldn't even be in the top 100 IMO. It appears at this point that there are going to be 20 or so QBs in the top 100, which IMO is ridiculous.

I enjoy this show, but this list is always going to be quite subjective. There are always guys that make the list that played in era's where the game was NOTHING like it is today and trying to compare them to players that started from 1970 on is somewhat difficult. The statistics simply are not at all similar with much older players and once the guys that are old enough to have actually watched some of them are gone, who can honestly say how good they were? Especially when comparing them to players from the past 40 years. Even if we "watch film" from years past, the camera angles and what is available is just not going to show us as much as what we see now. Frankly, I think a lot of these guys make these type of lists due to the age of the guys putting them together and their personal nostalgia of a player.

Also, why does everyone keep harping on football followers younger than 30 on here? I'm 36, have always enjoyed NFL films etc. and watched football with my dad growing up whenever it was on. But I know for a fact that when I was a kid I didn't see anything close to enough football to make unbiased opinions of players. The bias of course being the media in my area. I don't get how everyone keeps talking about "watching film" since they were 7 or 8; REALLY? What are you guys all related to Paul Brown and he brought home game film? And even so, how good could that possibly have been!? There simply wasn't the sources to watch "game film" even just 15 years ago available to all of us. The internet isn't that old. NFL network is just a few years old. And there was only what 3 Sunday games and a Monday night game. And Monday night doesn't go back before 1970! So we all had 3 games available to us that were all geographically dictated. Ya, all us 35 and older guys watched a ton of "film"(just flipped the pages of the newspapers sports sections really fast to see "replays" maybe?) and "studied players" before the internet, or the ability to watch more than 3 games a week. Yup, that happened. :rolleyes:

Aikman ahead of Steve Young :mellow:
It shouldn't matter. Players should be judged only on what they did, not on what they might have done in different situations. That is nothing but speculation. No one can know with 100% certainty that Aikman would have performed as well as or better than Young in that 49ers offense.For that reason, I think it is an eye rolling offense. Aikman shouldn't even be in the top 100 IMO. It appears at this point that there are going to be 20 or so QBs in the top 100, which IMO is ridiculous.
Aikman- Games Started: 165 Completion % 61.5 Yards: 32,942 TD: 165 INT: 141 QB Rating: 81.6

Steve Young - Games Started: 143 Completion % 64.3 Yards: 33,124 TD: 232 INT: 107 QB Rating: 96.8

Young beats Aikman in every single major QB relevant statistic. Add in Young's 4,239 yards rushing and 43 TD's and its quite laughable that Young is ranked where he is.

They are obviously drawing the Aikman > Young conclusion based on him having three Super Bowl rings to one (as a starter for Young), but that is still beyond stupid. I don't know anyone who actually thinks that Troy Aikman was a better QB than Steve Young.

My Top 10 Greatest.......As I started finalizing the list, I saw that I needed to list 12.

12. Barry Sanders RB

11. John Elway QB

10. Don Hutson WR

9. Joe Montana QB

8. Anthony Munoz OT

7. Reggie White DE

6. Ray Lewis LB

5. Walter Payton RB

4. Johnny Unitas QB

3. Lawrence Taylor OLB

2. Jerry Rice WR

1. Jim Brown RB

Blah blah blah... Irvin belongs in neither the HoF nor Top 100.
This may be lame, but I wanted to see if someone had also felt as I felt. "He was a leader" No he wasn't a leader. He was a selfish player who cheated on his wife and played the Charlie Sheen "Hookers and Blow" game. Emmitt Smith winning a game with a separated shoulder, leader. Troy Aikman standing in the pocket and getting smoked by Wilber Marshall, leader. Michael Irvin had talent but he enjoyed playing on one of the great teams of all-time. Jay Novacek MAY have been Aikman's guy. Darryl Johnston was definitely a team leader.

My Top 10 Greatest.......As I started finalizing the list, I saw that I needed to list 12.12. Barry Sanders RB11. John Elway QB10. Don Hutson WR9. Joe Montana QB8. Anthony Munoz OT7. Reggie White DE6. Ray Lewis LB5. Walter Payton RB4. Johnny Unitas QB3. Lawrence Taylor OLB2. Jerry Rice WR1. Jim Brown RB
I would love to see 12 Chuck Bednarik11 Deacon Jones10 Dan Marino09 Joe Montana08 Walter Payton07 Jim Parker06 **** Night Train Lane05 Johnny Unitas04 Lawrence Taylor03 Jim Brown02 Otto Graham01 Don Hutson

Namath has to be consider simply because of his total package. He had skill and delivered on the field in big spots. He never accumulated the definition of HOF stats but what he did for the game makes him one of the greats. The fact that they put him at 100 I think signifies that. They know he's not a top 100 calibur player but his significance is why he's up there.

BTW, Top players ever would have to be among this group. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Johnny Unitas. I think the #1 will come from this group. Peyton will not be chosen since he's still active but 20 to 30 years from now, after he's elected into the HOF, we will look back and say "My god, that was the greatest QB to ever play the game."

1. Jermichael Finley

2. Rex Ryan

3. Matt Forte

4. Martin Gramatica

5. Bill Gramatica

6. Jason Giambi

7. Al Davis

8. Matthew Berry

9. Arian Foster

10. Scott Proctor

1. Jermichael Finley2. Rex Ryan3. Matt Forte4. Martin Gramatica5. Bill Gramatica6. Jason Giambi7. Al Davis8. Matthew Berry9. Arian Foster10. Scott Proctor
Your humor is noted. Not much of a sense of humor, but it is noted.

Motley is one of those super hard guys to rank, but if you're going to put him on the list, I'd probably put him higher than 74.

Motley is one of those super hard guys to rank, but if you're going to put him on the list, I'd probably put him higher than 74.
Yeah, that was odd to me as well. To hear the old-timers tell it, he was Superman.Seems like Darrell Green got short-changed also.

Aikman ahead of Steve Young :goodposting:
Aikman- Games Started: 165 Completion % 61.5 Yards: 32,942 TD: 165 INT: 141 QB Rating: 81.6

Steve Young - Games Started: 143 Completion % 64.3 Yards: 33,124 TD: 232 INT: 107 QB Rating: 96.8

Young beats Aikman in every single major QB relevant statistic. Add in Young's 4,239 yards rushing and 43 TD's and its quite laughable that Young is ranked where he is.
Pro Football Reference really shows the difference statistically between Aikman and Young. The 3 QBs who compare closest to Steve Young are Dan Fouts, Ken Anderson, and Joe Montana. Aikman compares closest to Mark Brunell, Donovan McNabb, and Ken Stabler. They just aren't in the same league. Also an interesting stat related to fantasy: Aikman's 2 best years, he finished 4th and 9th amongst QBs. Steve Young was the top QB in fantasy 4 times.

BTW, Top players ever would have to be among this group. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Johnny Unitas. I think the #1 will come from this group. Peyton will not be chosen since he's still active but 20 to 30 years from now, after he's elected into the HOF, we will look back and say "My god, that was the greatest QB to ever play the game."
I honestly think it will end up rice and brown as the top two. Just not sure which they give one and two.

I honestly think it will end up rice and brown as the top two. Just not sure which they give one and two.
I'm hoping the voters overlooked Lawrence Taylor's off-field garbage. If so, he deserves to finish very, very high. Total demon. Completely changed the way offenses schemed to protect the QB. I'd put him in the top-5 were I voting.

Users who are viewing this thread