What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (9 Viewers)

AB inferred with his recent comments that he wants out of the “system” to be “free.”  Then he goes to a team that not only embodies it, but is run by and overpopulated with the very demographic he apparently hates.

Total hypocrite.
Some systems are better than others.  He just found a system he thinks he likes better.

Steeler said:
AB's conduct over the last ~9 months makes it hard for me to see him keeping his nose clean for the any length of time.  His me-first attitude, penchant for posting crazy rants about his employer on social media, and constantly being late for meetings, practice, etc. seems like a bad fit in NE.  I mean, either AB has to completely change his stripes and act like an NFL player (showing up for meetings and paying attention, etc.) or NE has to give him preferential treatment.  Both seem unlikely at this point, but I would be surprised if NE allows his antics.  
I really don't see why so many people are doubting this scenario. Sure, his antics over the past year have been something we've never seen, but I really think going to NE will settle this guy down for at least a little while. Unless Brady has a major drop off and the offense stumbles for several weeks in a row, I don't see AB acting up.

I really don't see why so many people are doubting this scenario. Sure, his antics over the past year have been something we've never seen, but I really think going to NE will settle this guy down for at least a little while. Unless Brady has a major drop off and the offense stumbles for several weeks in a row, I don't see AB acting up.
It's possible for AB to toe the line, sure.  But it would require a complete change in his behavior within the organization (I'm not even talking about all the public nonsense).  Will the Pats tolerate AB missing meetings or not paying attention in meetings or throwing temper tantrums on the field because HE didn't score a TD?  I don't think he is about winning, he is about his stats.  

Shutout said:
I can't tell if this reaction is linked to the fact he wouldn't go to your bills but, just to clarify, I said I think he acted out to get out of Oakland, I didn't say anything about him starting this in Pittsburgh.   Those issues were whatever they were and my gut says when he was traded and got big money he WAS feeling good for a minute....until he landed in Oakland and found out it was going to be a bad team and then at some point saw the reality he could get to a contender.  
We all thought the raiders were super bowl contenders but the offseason just ruined it.

Moss was able to make it work for 3 seasons before wanting out, AB will probably be able to last a while despite the crazies.

And people wonder why the NFL ratings are declining...

Last edited by a moderator:
So AB intended all along to give up $30 million so he could get $9 million instead?
Why do people keep saying this?

From ESPN:

”New England is giving Brown a one-year deal worth up to $15 million, Rosenhaus said. It includes a $9 million signing bonus, $10 million guaranteed and $5 million in incentives.”

First, it’s $10M guaranteed, not $9M.

Second, it’s worth up to $15M.  For this year.

Third, he wasn’t getting paid $30M by the Raiders solely for the 2019 season.

he gave up 15 million in 2019 to get 15 million in 2019. plus a chance to get more than 15 in 2020 and beyond
There's no thinking with someone like him. He's sure he's the best in the game and teams will line up for him. 

I think this could be the dumbest move the Pat's have made. 9 million guaranteed us too much to gamble. They usually bring in players like him cheap. It'll be interesting to watch though. I'm dieing to see Brady miss him twice in a row and watch AB try not to lose it.

There's no thinking with someone like him. He's sure he's the best in the game and teams will line up for him. 

I think this could be the dumbest move the Pat's have made. 9 million guaranteed us too much to gamble. They usually bring in players like him cheap. It'll be interesting to watch though. I'm dieing to see Brady miss him twice in a row and watch AB try not to lose it.
At this point, who else can the Patriots spend that $15 million on?

There may be an opportunity during the season to make a trade and take on some salary. But, truly great players rarely come available mid-season.

The Patriots maintain some salary cap flexibility so that they can seize opportunities when they arise. A great player became available and the Patriots seized the moment.

5% higher than 2017 after two years of decline. Lowest rated Super Bowl in 11 years.
I'd hardly consider that a trend.

I know the Kaep thing soured some folks in that time range, and the SB last year was a turd, so no surprise it was rated a bit low.

That said, I do think this is going to start hurting the NFL if they keep empowering players in these situations and let stars pout their way out of bad situations, to join a top team. They are going to lose fans of the bottom teams by droves.

From what I understand, Pats have the same eject levers available to them that the raiders have. If AB acts up he’ll be gone and guarantees will be voided. 

At this point, who else can the Patriots spend that $15 million on?

There may be an opportunity during the season to make a trade and take on some salary. But, truly great players rarely come available mid-season.

The Patriots maintain some salary cap flexibility so that they can seize opportunities when they arise. A great player became available and the Patriots seized the moment.
Whoa! @Dynasty sighting 👍

Some of you guys are taking this WAAAY too seriously. A lot of heads hanging and moral compasses firing off. AB is a clown and now he’s on the Patriots. The only thing I care about is how this affects the fantasy landscape not all of this melodrama. I mean I get it, it’s gonna get discussed, but some need to take a step back and realize how they’re acting and where their priorities are. 

The Patriots are actually the last place I wanted him to go because now there’s gonna be an entire conspiracy subplot that people will mention like they did deflate gate. Boo hoo the Patriots are cheaters. Really wish he went somewhere else so we could do without that. 

Winning tends to dampen drama. AB will be fine now that football is starting. 

From what I understand, Pats have the same eject levers available to them that the raiders have. If AB acts up he’ll be gone and guarantees will be voided. 
It will all be good until he goes after Belichick with a shiv because he can’t wear a helmet with the old Pat Patriot logo.

Tampering?  Like was this his play the whole time?  Can the NFL let this stand?
This is so awesome!  Week 1 of the NFL season, and the Salty Haters are already crying about Patriots conspiracy theories.  😂

Re-hashing the same debunked tinfoil hat conspiracies, no less:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/questions-raised-about-blount-orchestrating-his-return-to-patriots/

"Questions have been raised this week in Phoenix about whether Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount purposely got himself cut by the Steelers with the knowledge that if he left Pittsburgh, he could return to New England.

But the conspiracy theories don’t make a lot of sense. Even if Blount was purposely acting out because he was unhappy in Pittsburgh, he had no way of knowing for sure that his act would result in the Steelers waiving him. It could have just as easily resulted in the Steelers suspending him or benching him, options that wouldn’t have had the desired effect."

Now this is:

"Questions have been raised this week in Phoenix in Crazytown about whether Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount wide receiver Antonio Brown purposely got himself cut by the Steelers Raiders with the knowledge that if he left Pittsburgh Oakland, he could return to sign with New England.

But the conspiracy theories don’t make a lot of sense. Even if Blount Brown was purposely acting out because he was unhappy in Pittsburgh Oakland, he had no way of knowing for sure that his act would result in the Steelers Raiders waiving him. It could have just as easily resulted in the Steelers Raiders suspending him or benching him, options that wouldn’t have had the desired effect."

Awesome that you can not show up for work, threaten your boss with violence, call him racist names, illegally record someone and get your way. America 2019, yay. Biggest piece of crap ever, and I hope he gets whats coming to him.
Pretty much the new Hitler.

Some of you guys are taking this WAAAY too seriously. A lot of heads hanging and moral compasses firing off. AB is a clown and now he’s on the Patriots. The only thing I care about is how this affects the fantasy landscape not all of this melodrama. I mean I get it, it’s gonna get discussed, but some need to take a step back and realize how they’re acting and where their priorities are. 
Well, hell, where have you been? We've been needing you to tell us how you feel, so we know how we should feel.

Fantasywise I'm not sure what to think.  It'll be hard for Edelman, Gordon, and Brown to all excel in fantasy.  Thank God Gronk isn't also part of the pie.  The Patriots will not stop running the ball.  In fact, they will be more successful running it because defenses will have to honor the pass game more.  I also think defenses will put more focus on Gordon than Edelman or Brown.  Fantasy footballers always assume that the players with the biggest stats are the best.  It's not true.  Defenses have to respect size and speed.  Brown has neither.  He is finesse.  Gordon is a beast.  He can't be single-teamed.  This is why Sammy Watkins gets paid more than any slot receiver despite not putting up big numbers.

Seems clear to me AB didn't want to be apart of the Raidahsss.  So he sabotaged it, and now he's a patriot......clearly, he knew he'd be a Pat if he could get out of his raiders contract.....sucks for the raiders.

Ok, so now this goes one of two ways....

1) he tows the line, has a nice season, and a good shot at a SB.

2) once the honeymoon is over, he falls back on his diva antics, and it all falls apart for him.

I have no idea how it will go, but he's not going to be targeted like he was in Pitt.....the Pats adjust their gameplan week to week more than any other team.....and Brady, at this stage in his career, is not what he was when he had Randy Moss.  Does anyone really see AB as a teammate who will sacrifice his own glory for the big picture??

Fantasywise I'm not sure what to think.  It'll be hard for Edelman, Gordon, and Brown to all excel in fantasy.  Thank God Gronk isn't also part of the pie.  The Patriots will not stop running the ball.  In fact, they will be more successful running it because defenses will have to honor the pass game more.  I also think defenses will put more focus on Gordon than Edelman or Brown.  Fantasy footballers always assume that the players with the biggest stats are the best.  It's not true.  Defenses have to respect size and speed.  Brown has neither.  He is finesse.  Gordon is a beast.  He can't be single-teamed.  This is why Sammy Watkins gets paid more than any slot receiver despite not putting up big numbers.
...yet.

I agree with running the ball - I think this opens it up for Michel. He is the obvious beneficiary from what I see besides Brady of course. With defenses having to monitor AB, Gordon annnd Edelman there should be plenty of room at the line of scrimmage. 

Damn it’s salty in here lol. 

Brilliantly played by AB.  He gets out of the hellhole of the raiders, goes to a winner and will end up making more money in the long run more than likely.  He just ended up with the best QB he’s ever had too.  He will have a huge year, Congrats to everyone who rolled the dice on him. 

Courtjester said:
I have no love lost for the Raiders as a Bronco fan, but I feel this type of situation needs to be addressed by the NFL. The Raiders did the "right thing" here and in the end, they pay for it by one of their division opponents benefiting from it. There is no way a player, who is under contract, should be allowed to act out to the point he is released and then benefit from it. AB threatened physical harm to the GM--don't forget that. He then embarrassed his coach on social media. There is no way that should be rewarded. I don't think he should be get the perma-ban from the NFL, but there needs to be some kind of 6-8 game suspension period initiated by the league for players who are released because of their conduct. 

What stops any other player in the league from doing this? Hmm, my team is struggling this year and I want a title--I will go punch my coach, get my contact voided and then get signed by a contender. This is a dangerous path to go down if the NFL doesn't address this. 
1. No one forced the Pats to sign him.  They did this of their own will.  If you consider each team to be an independent employer (as they legally are), what you are suggesting is preventing the employee (AB) from gainful employment from other companies.  The union would (should) have a problem with that.

2. AB I'd taking about a $15M paycut.  That's not insignificant.

So, I keep reading this, and yet the entire fantasy world thinks that Jameis Winston can support three studs in Evans, Godwin, and Howard? Which one seems more likely?

So, you're contention is that people who are offended by some of the most egregious behavior seen in a long time in pro sports need to "realize how they are acting" and "realize what their priorities are", and that comes from a person who is totally ok with it because he gets points for their pretend football team? That may be the most ironic statement I have ever seen on this board. Certainly top ten.

I don't think he sees nearly as many targets in New England.  Maybe if he and Brady get on the same page very quickly. 
Even if he sees half the targets he was going to get from Carr he will produce more imo. This is by far the best offensive weapon Brady has had since moss,  Brady will use him a lot.  

So, I keep reading this, and yet the entire fantasy world thinks that Jameis Winston can support three studs in Evans, Godwin, and Howard? Which one seems more likely?
The Bucs defense could be bad and their run game probably won't be good, so Winston has the potential to throw 5,000 yards and 30-40 touchdowns.  There could be some shoot-outs.  When a team a team has multiple good wide receivers and a good tight end, I think the wide receivers compete for targets but tight ends don't get affected.

Their defense could be bad and their run game probably won't be good, so Winston has the potential to throw 5,000 yards and 30-40 touchdowns.  There could be some shoot-outs.  When a team a team has multiple good wide receivers and a good tight end, I think the wide receivers compete for targets but tight ends don't get affected.
When Winston is put in to a position to have to throw the ball, he turns it over like mad. I think it's much less likely that Tampa supports three receiving studs than New England (which has a history of it). One of Evans or Godwin are really going to disappoint people.

When Winston is put in to a position to have to throw the ball, he turns it over like mad. I think it's much less likely that Tampa supports three receiving studs than New England (which has a history of it). One of Evans or Godwin are really going to disappoint people.
Evans is the only stud receiver on TB.  I don't care what their projections are, Godwin and Howard are not studs yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread