What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

Do I remember correctly that Brown's guaranteed money was guaranteed if he was still with the team end of this week? Or am I creating a fact here?

theplayer11 said:
texts prove nothing....except that he uses bad English and language and that she was probably exploiting him.

oh..and that he jizzed on her back..after finishing having sex with her.....or him sneaking up behind her as she was watching some religious show and jacking off on her back.  Believe what you want. Dude must be pretty stealthy if you believe the later.
No, they don't prove it. But they're pretty damning. 

theplayer11 said:
texts prove nothing....except that he uses bad English and language and that she was probably exploiting him.

oh..and that he jizzed on her back..after finishing having sex with her.....or him sneaking up behind her as she was watching some religious show and jacking off on her back.  Believe what you want. Dude must be pretty stealthy if you believe the later.
Or really fast, if you believe the latter.

At a bare minimum they are entitled to the conduct detrimental clause included in all contracts and in the CBA. Just like the Raiders could have, they could move to void the contract (and would have a much stronger case than OAK).
It all depends on when his money for this season becomes guaranteed and exactly how his guaranteed are structures. If it became guaranteed with no caveats when he signed the deal, then they're out of luck. Conduct detrimental would allow them to suspend him, void future guarantees or void remaining salary, but already guaranteed money for this season could be sunk. But then that really wouldn't be "guaranteed", now would it?

The Raiders were different because of being on the active roster on Week 1 guaranteeing a vested veteran's salary for the year.

Their other NFL Insider who I cited above who actually was a GM and VP of Operations I the NFL with two franchises said the opposite, essentially that players remain eligible during civil suits. 
I tend to agree that the NFL probably isn't going to put him on the exempt list for this right away, but let's slow down here a bit. Mike Tannenbaum was one of the worst GMs in the NFL. I'm not sure I'm taking his word on anything.

What you have to remember about the McCoy situation is that it popped up in July, the NFL took some time to investigate it, and apparently came to the conclusion that McCoy probably wasn't involved. Being the off-season gave them some time. This is a bit different because it's during the season. My bet is that the NFL is doing everything they can go investigate this as fast as they can and if they find enough enough to make them believe that Brown did this, I bet they absolutely would suspend/exempt him.

The NFL definitely won't want another Ray Rice situation where video or something equally as damning comes out and the public finds out that the NFL looked the other way. So I imagine they'll leave no stone unturned in trying to figure out what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those texts do appear he is responding to something she wrote about her potentially going to the steelers or media about something unless he paid her

asking to be paid doesn't mean he didn't do it. it potentially just means she wants money to end it, so her name doesnt get demolished in the public eye and he can continue to play.... plus she gets compensated.

it could also means she's lying thru her teeth. 

i dunno why folks have to lay blame immediately. is he nuts? yes. does that make him a rapist? no. does it make it more believable? yes.

as much as i hate the guy, im not calling him a rapist unless he's actually a rapist

I have no idea if the allegations are true or not but like I said earlier in this thread "the hits keep coming with Antonio Brown".   Nothing would surprise me at this point except for him to keep his mouth shut and stay out of the news for the rest of the season.

The one guy getting rich is his lawyer -- AB has a bunch of lawsuits filed against him.

This will be dealt with swiftly. 

Pure speculation on my part.....I am calling BS on this woman. She probably kept threatening him to go to the media, file a civil suit etc etc unless he paid her and he was like....**** off already. She had plenty of chances to go to the police and report it. Never happened. Still has not happened. She went straight to civil court....show me the money. 

Here we are.

This is the world we live in today. Exploitation of athletes is everywhere. 

Brett Favre? Remember That one? Big Ben with under age girls? 

Let’s not be naive. 

This is just piling on. Again. I am purely speculating.....but it smells like utter and total BS and a con job. Again not going after him criminally first is a huge tell tale. Let’s just skip that and get him in civil court so at least we have a chance at getting paid first and foremost.

how are they damning?

His text essentially say "you tried to scam me but it didnt work...we had sex and youre dumb".
Yeah exactly what I interpreted. Damning? LOL hardly. 

Hey if the guy did rape her....he should go to prison. But this smells like an utter scam and if you can’t see that.......you are simply naive or a hater and love seeing the guy get buried for something that almost certainly was consensual sex. 

She stuck around for more......this is all BS. And it will eventually be proven it is all BS. Unfortunately the media will run with this until it dies.

sure sounds like they had a fling and she kept coming back hoping to get some money out of hm. Her and mom owed taxes apparently

I imagine people attempt to extort famous people all of the time but the media does not bother to report stories, even with tons of collaborative hearsay (Bill Cosby, Wienstien, Kevin Spacy) because they could be held for liable.  They 'probably' have an ocean of click-bait stories that they can't run with so why did they run this one if its patently false?

I don't know who or how this story broke but its been picked up by the national media and they don't tend to pick up these stories with explicit details where the accused has tweeted out the details.

I honestly don't know what to think of this.  I'm disgusted but that doesn't allow me to take what little has been reported and make serious accusations about the accused or accuser.  I am curious about how the story broke and why it has been picked up by the national media.

Looks bad:

-Text messages confirm?ish that he "finished" on her back. Unsure, if he meant it like saying it in a scoffing tone, or if he was like, yeah, I did that

-AB is straight crazy

-Innocent until proven guilty is often thrown out in cases of rape accusations by the public

Looks good:

-Apparently there is evidence of attempted blackmail and/or extortion from his accuser

-She filed a civil suit the day after he signed a big money contract and has not once filed a criminal complaint

-According to AB's lawyer, she hit him up for Steelers tickets 7 months after the "forcible rape". Assuming that is provable, I have a difficult time believing the accusation is true and then she circled back for some tickets months later like it was no big deal

False accusations of celebrities, and men in general, do happen from time to time. But statistically they’re rare. In most cases when a woman makes an accusation of sexual assault, she’s telling the truth. 

Obviously, statistics don’t make Antonio Brown guilty. But on the other hand, they should offer a little pause to the many voices in here who seem to automatically assume his innocence based on the mistaken assumption that many of these women lie. The truth is it doesn’t happen very often at all. 

I guess she wanted to be sure he secured a guaranteed contract before filing this?  The timing is very suspect.
He had a guaranteed contract in Oakland and was already paid $1 million up front and has millions in the bank.  The timing isn't an issue as far as money is concerned but it is in terms of why and how the national media ran with this story because it assures more clicks but they don't run these stories unless it is safe so I wonder if ABs tweets where he admits explicit details were enough for them to run with it because those details are on public record.  

I really don't know what to make of this but to question the timing of the accuser just because he got another guaranteed contract does not make sense unless she is angling to get paid for her story and drops the case if starts doing interviews for money.  

I guess she wanted to be sure he secured a guaranteed contract before filing this?  The timing is very suspect.
While possible, everyone assumed he had a guaranteed $30M a few months ago.  I don't think anyone (including this girl/her lawyer) could have predicted that his tenure in Oakland would have played out the way it did, thus negating his (presumed) guaranteed contract with the Raiders.

If the NFL comments on this, or certainly takes action, that's when this will be a real story, IMO. It's been reported that he's practicing, so obviously the Patriots are moving forward as though this is a non-issue (although, they're as familiar with above-the-law antics as anyone). They certainly could be taking a wait and see approach, which is probably something we all should do. Here's hoping the right side comes out ahead. 

-According to AB's lawyer, she hit him up for Steelers tickets 7 months after the "forcible rape". Assuming that is provable, I have a difficult time believing the accusation is true and then she circled back for some tickets months later like it was no big deal
We need to stop making assumptions about how a victim of sexual assault should react. Quite often they try to pretend that it never took place. Quite often they pursue a relationship with their attacker. Quite often they don’t report anything until months or years later. They don’t behave in what we expect to be a rational manner, and what they do or don’t do should never be used as evidence of false accusations. 

False accusations of celebrities, and men in general, do happen from time to time. But statistically they’re rare. In most cases when a woman makes an accusation of sexual assault, she’s telling the truth. 

Obviously, statistics don’t make Antonio Brown guilty. But on the other hand, they should offer a little pause to the many voices in here who seem to automatically assume his innocence based on the mistaken assumption that many of these women lie. The truth is it doesn’t happen very often at all. 
Are they that rare? I happen to have first hand exposure to one, and it made me wonder. Decades back when I was in the Army, my roommate was falsely accused of forcible rape. CID showed up to the barracks and dragged him away in cuffs. The thing is, it was a barracks, and I happened to be in the damn room when this chick banged on our door, threw herself at him, and then loudly banged him out (we had a shower curtain between our two sides of the room). So, after I had my statement taken, he was released. She had filed the complaint after my roommate had told her he wasn't interested in a relationship with her. Turns out, this was the THIRD dude she had accused of forcible rape in the 14 months she'd been in the Army. All charges dropped each time. No punishment for her at any point.

So, I'm not so sure it is rare, and even if it is, false accusations still happen.

He had a guaranteed contract in Oakland and was already paid $1 million up front and has millions in the bank.  The timing isn't an issue as far as money is concerned but it is in terms of why and how the national media ran with this story because it assures more clicks but they don't run these stories unless it is safe so I wonder if ABs tweets where he admits explicit details were enough for them to run with it because those details are on public record.  

I really don't know what to make of this but to question the timing of the accuser just because he got another guaranteed contract does not make sense unless she is angling to get paid for her story and drops the case if starts doing interviews for money.  
I don't think the odd timing element stems from the new contract with NE. IMO, the odd timing element was waiting for him to have a meltdown in OAK, AB threatening their GM, and Brown going crazy on IG. Most of the country perceived Brown to be in the wrong in all that, so she essentially is riding the wave of his craziness to file her suit. In a round about way, some people will now feel she is more believable based on the events of the past week. We still have very little to go on to what actually happened.

Are they that rare? I happen to have first hand exposure to one, and it made me wonder. Decades back when I was in the Army, my roommate was falsely accused of forcible rape. CID showed up to the barracks and dragged him away in cuffs. The thing is, it was a barracks, and I happened to be in the damn room when this chick banged on our door, threw herself at him, and then loudly banged him out (we had a shower curtain between our two sides of the room). So, after I had my statement taken, he was released. She had filed the complaint after my roommate had told her he wasn't interested in a relationship with her. Turns out, this was the THIRD dude she had accused of forcible rape in the 14 months she'd been in the Army. All charges dropped each time. No punishment for her at any point.

So, I'm not so sure it is rare, and even if it is, false accusations still happen.
I also knew someone who was falsely accused, and his life was ruined as a result. 

But, statistically it is rare. 

they don't run these stories unless it is safe
Huh?

He is being sued over it, that is a fact. They can use the word "allegedly" or "accused of" as much as needed to keep their lawyers happy when describing the events.

The media is not passing any judgement on AB whether he did it or not. And they're not sitting on other stories for that reason.

We need to stop making assumptions about how a victim of sexual assault should react. Quite often they try to pretend that it never took place. Quite often they pursue a relationship with their attacker. Quite often they don’t report anything until months or years later. They don’t behave in what we expect to be a rational manner, and what they do or don’t do should never be used as evidence of false accusations. 
That's fair I guess. It just seems weird.

FTR, I'm not firming up an opinion either way on this until more comes out. I have very nagging doubts that is true, but I also see AB as completely crazy and capable of it. Guess we'll find out.

If the NFL comments on this, or certainly takes action, that's when this will be a real story, IMO. It's been reported that he's practicing, so obviously the Patriots are moving forward as though this is a non-issue (although, they're as familiar with above-the-law antics as anyone). They certainly could be taking a wait and see approach, which is probably something we all should do. Here's hoping the right side comes out ahead. 
Patriots moving forward as though something is a non-issue isn't proof that nothing happened.

'Treasure trove' of text messages between Aaron Hernandez and his former coach Bill Belichick to be revealed as part of murder trial

I also knew someone who was falsely accused, and his life was ruined as a result. 

I wonder if rich folks are targeted by false accusations at a higher rate? I assume so, but don't know if that has ever been studied/examined.

how are they damning?

His text essentially say "you tried to scam me but it didnt work...we had sex and youre dumb".
How? 🤣 

Because they illustrate, in his own words, that he's guilty of sexual assault. He admits in his text to sexually assaulting her. Any situation like this will always start with a toss-up, 50/50, his word vs. hers. But then you have his erratic behavior, which shows a propensity towards violence and aggression, coupled with his own text messages in which he laughs about assaulting her...yeah, pretty damning. 

I knew someone who was accused in a crowded bar a long time ago.  She was drunk and was with her friends and stood up and viciously accused someone of raping her.

The guy had been going out with an incredibly beautiful woman and the accuser was not beautiful, she was overweight and simply not attractive and my roommate at the time was friends with the guy being accused.  He came home fuming because he thought she obviously was lying.  I was young and it made no sense he would go near the girl making the accusation so I sided with my roommate.

A few weeks went by and we took a road trip with some girls, the former GF of the accused and one of her friends.  I asked why those two broke up and she looked at me with nervous eyes and then said.  He raped her.  I felt gut-punched.  I knew the girl who me and my roommate both thought was 'obviously' lying was telling the truth.  

You never F'ng know in these cases and it was a lesson hard learned by me.  

How? 🤣 

Because they illustrate, in his own words, that he's guilty of sexual assault. He admits in his text to sexually assaulting her. Any situation like this will always start with a toss-up, 50/50, his word vs. hers. But then you have his erratic behavior, which shows a propensity towards violence and aggression, coupled with his own text messages in which he laughs about assaulting her...yeah, pretty damning. 
WTF are you talking about.

Newman's story also outlines common qualities of false accusers. There's one way she describes them that's often quoted: "[A]lmost invariably, adult false accusers who persist in pursuing charges have a previous history of bizarre fabrications or criminal fraud. Indeed, they're often criminals whose family and friends are also criminals; broken people trapped in chaotic lives."
Brown and his attorneys have made the claim that this woman tried to get him to "invest" 7 figures in some sort of real estate fraud scheme and there are rumors that she and her mother owe a ton of money in back taxes.

Again, I have no idea what happened here and still think that the Pats should get rid of Brown and all of the potential headaches, but there is a non-zero chance that this is a shakedown.

Total scam lawsuit.  And if you don’t think the Pats already knew about this before they signed Antonio Brown you have no clue .

Not that anyone cares but maybe on the price I sold him for?

What a mess - drafted him in the 3rd, a day later make a trade via text, seconds later the crap hits the news, owner backs out of deal.  Suspended?, to playing, to cut, to signed all within days.  Pats pick him up and offer AB for Chubb to the Brady owner, they counter   AB/Duke Johnson for Chubb and Hilton PPR. Quickly accept.

Even if he goes off in New England I'm glad the daily stress is gone.

Total scam lawsuit.  And if you don’t think the Pats already knew about this before they signed Antonio Brown you have no clue .
I have no idea if they did or didn't.  You think AB or Rosenhaus would have volunteered this kind of information while negotiating a contract.  AB has multiple lawsuits filed against him, it is tough to keep up with them all.

Not that false accusation don't happen, but they "seem easily caught; they rarely make it very far through judicial systems."
Yeah, that article doesn't say what tim seems to think it says.

Also, this is not just some random rape accusation.  This is an accusation made against a celebrity with very deep pockets.  And it's a celebrity who probably associates with the kind of people who would make extortion attempts.  Conditional on those known facts, the probability of this accusation being false is much higher than it would be otherwise.  (That's not to say that this accusation is false -- I have no way of knowing that one way or the other).

Users who are viewing this thread