What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (15 Viewers)

Brown wasn't due bonus money until Monday. The other half was due in January. Let's see if AB and Drew have the audacity to go after it and if the NFLPA will support them.

To make an extreme example, say the Chiefs win the AFCCG and are headed to the Super Bowl against the Cowboys. Mahomes is from Texas. Out of the woodwork, an old flame immediately files a civil suit claiming he assaulted her and sues him for damages. Assume they had some sort of relationship and it becomes a he said she said. Now what? If Brown gets exempted, Mahomes should have to be too. But people will say "but this case is different." Would that situation really be all that different? People will say Mahomes hasn't acted crazy . . . but there would be a media feeding frenzy on Mahomes just like there is now with Brown. It could very easily end up with where we are now with AB. None of this excuses Brown's behavior, but it will be tough for RG to review more cases like this and come to completely different conclusions. 
With all due respect, please don't use Mahomes The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread and The God of Kansas City Right Now and Forever in your example.

Thank you.

Signed,

Mahomes lover

joey said:
in the 1 dynasty league where I own him, I'm starting AB this weekend with confidence 😐
nailed it with my level of confidence ;)

don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out, AB.

Someone should print a half-Raiders-colors/half-Pats-colors "FUAB" t-shirt.

I can't image anyone taking a chance on him now. Of course... I thought that after he was released by the Raiders so....

All that needs to happen now is for AB to say he's going back to college and will be playing basketball for Duke University.

But is he eating up their cap room?
That's where the debate will start. They didn't end up paying him the money, so there will be some discussion on whether they have to count the money toward the cap this season. Historically, I believe the league counts what money has actually exchanged hands. Certainly NE will say they never paid him so they should be entitled to cap relief. Based on prior cases, they may have a cap hold for this season and get the money back next season, meaning they would have $9 million added to the team's cap next year (assuming the matter isn't adjudicated this year).

Belichick press conference from BEFORE Brown was released is pretty telling.  Media kept asking questions about AB even after Bill said he was done talking about.  Bill walks out of press conference over it.  and Brown then released.  

https://www.tmz.com/2019/09/20/bill-belichick-storms-out-of-press-conference-over-antonio-brown-questions/
That’s what it boils down to. Belichick doesn’t want the distraction. He gave AB once chance and the allegations are hanging over the team.

They are still gonna owe it to him though.  That's the guaranteed part and they didn't take any action like suspend/fine him that would void them.
I know there was a clause in his contract that said the team would be allowed financial relief if Brown did anything to make the team look bad. They covered their butts in the contract. Essentially, they had outs.

Taking another side bar, part of the problem is once momentum starts gaining full steam, accusations turn into rumors, rumors turn into gossip, gossip suddenly becomes fact, and then there is a mob mentality.

Here's an example. I've coached multiple youth sports for 15 or 20 years. One year I coached our son's baseball team and we had a Friday evening practice. My son had something else going on and was out of town, but I still held the practice. There was a girl on the team that had just turned 13 and was new in town. Practice ended but no one picked her up. Her parents had just gotten divorced and I called each of them and no one answered. We sat like two bumps on a log and waited for an hour at the field. It was pitch back in a remote location, and obviously I was not going to leave her alone. We drove to her house, which was locked up solid. I tried calling the parents again to no avail. I tried checking to see if any neighbors were around. No luck there either. I tried calling the head of the baseball program and the head of the youth sports program. No one answered those calls and left messages.

Not having any other avenues, I took her home. I had pizza delivered, plunked her down on my couch and let her hang out and watch TV. Unfortunately, we were the only ones there. Two hours later the mom called asking what was going on. She got mad . . . at her ex-husband . . . because she said it was his weekend to have her. He called a little while later and said actually, it was mom's weekend. I indicated to both of them that I am not a babysitter, and someone needed to come get her. But no one did right away, and when I called them both back, neither one answered.

Mom apparently was on a date and finally got home and checked her voicemail and found out her daughter was still with me. The father was out of town and out of state. Obviously he wasn't going to get the girl. Finally the mom showed up at my house after 1 AM to collect her daughter and then went ballistic at me that I had been home alone with her for hours.

Of course, the next day the mother did a deep dive on me on-line and found reference to my ongoing court issues including allegations that I abused my kids. She immediately went to the youth association demanding that I never coach anything again and that I had been alone with her daughter for hours. Of course she brought up the other allegations and threatened to sue them.

Clearly I did not harm her daughter in any way (and the daughter supported that, saying that I fed her and entertained her while waiting for someone to get her). Yet I got no thanks for feeding her and watching her for over 6 hours. Somehow in all of that, people tried to play me out as the bad guy. I ended up being allowed to continue on as a coach, but when the board voted people actually voted against me being allowed to remain as coach. 
That’s effed up. Other than actually believing Eli Manning is HOF worthy, you’re a good man. 

Well God forbid anyone actually thought you had some real knowledge and listened to you in your Gordon thread.  They lost five seasons because of you. Still no apology. :shrug:
they've gained 5yrs of appreciation for the trials and tribulations of folks dealing with addictions.

so how much money does NE have invested into AB? I assume when he played week 2 he was guaranteed 7 mil

I wonder if that's the richest contract in nfl history. 7 mil for 1 game

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there was a clause in his contract that said the team would be allowed financial relief if Brown did anything to make the team look bad. They covered their butts in the contract. Essentially, they had outs.
In order for that to happen though there is due process that they have to notify him - which is what caused his final meltdown in Oakland.  I doubt they had time to do that though, this looks like them just flushing it and moving on.

What makes this interesting, I think, is that whether or not the intent was to threaten and/or intimidate, her lawyer can credibly spin it that way....

"these text messages, which are clearly intended to threaten and intimidate her"

pretty sure the exempt list or a short suspension is coming for this specific episode.
Guess the Pats didn't want to wait around for Rog to do something.

I've been stuck with him for six-seven years in a keeper league... I don't see a reason to drop immediately, but keep your finger on the trigger. If he ends up officially Exempt, drop. Otherwise hold through today and tomorrow and maybe see what happens. I mean, there's no rush to drop a guy, right? A zero on the bench doesn't count.
There is no other team that will touch AB this season (or probably any season) given the unending drama that teams just don't need.

so how much money does NE have invested into AB? I assume when he played week 1 he was guaranteed 7 mil

I wonder if that's the richest contract in nfl history. 7 mil for 1 game
I have been posting on this. I believe they shelled out $58,000 and change. He never received any of the other money. See my earlier posts on this page or last.

So they employed a murderer and now it appears most likely a sexual predator. 

They have been a part of many scandals as a franchise.

Their owner loves rub and tugs.

Can we stop with what they call the "Patriot way" now?
The Steelers and Patriots have employed some real characters.   The Steelers had Blount, Bell, Ben, Bryant, and AB.    Tough to out due the murderer though.  

So how much $ did the Patriots end up losing in this deal?
Hopefully they're on the hook for every penny of it.  That way it hurts their cap.  (BTW, I do hate the Patriots*)

It also puts more money in AB's pocket that can be awarded to the victim (assuming she wins at trial, which is an open question at this point).  Or if she loses, then AB keeps it as his just reward for being falsely accused and having his character besmirched by the Patriots*.

Users who are viewing this thread