What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (3 Viewers)

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.
you keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.  He played a game, they will owe him the guaranteed part, sure they can make it difficult if they want because they still hold said money.   And when major money is on the line AB will have plenty of people/lawyers in his corner looking to get it for him and get a piece of it themselves.

There were only 3 teams that this version of Antonio Brown could have played for.  Raiders - failed.  Patriots - failed.  Seahawks? Carroll will take on reclamation projects but even if allowed by the league I doubt he would take on somebody who Gruden/Bellichick couldn't get on board.  Done.  Good riddance.  Love to see people finally be held accountable for their actions.  Nobody is saying he's "misunderstood" now...

you keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.  He played a game, they will owe him the guaranteed part, sure they can make it difficult if they want because they still hold said money.   And when major money is on the line AB will have plenty of people/lawyers in his corner looking to get it for him and get a piece of it themselves.
The question was how much has NE paid him so far. Any additional monies will be a battle for AB to collect. NE certainly has a case to say that Brown did not negotiate in good faith and knew all along that a lawsuit was coming. I don't know the legal term for it, but by not disclosing prior indiscretions it set up his new team to not be able to honor the contract because of Brown's prior actions. And that's assuming he can argue that his current behavior didn't violate the terms of this specific contract language and the terms of the CBA and Player Code of Conduct. Who knows . . . maybe they gave Brown some money to go away and not file a claim for the rest. We don't know the details yet.

The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.
Yeah BB is certainly a great coach. He's the best there is in a league full of coaching mediocrity. But he also has the GOAT and plays in the AFC East which is the gift that just keeps on giving. Zero franchise QBs for the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills in the 19 years since the Pats drafted Brady and a clown car full of bad coaches. The next best QB after Brady was probably Chad Pennington. It's like getting dealt pocket AA every time when you get to play against the likes of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Trent Edwards, Jay Fiedler, or Ryan Fitzpatrick for 6 games a season every season for 19 years. 

I think a combination of Brady's retirement and at least one other AFC East team finally getting an elite QB, will turn the tide. But it remains to be seen if Sam Darnold or Josh Allen can be that guy. Probably not. So BB has a few years left to lock in that automatic playoff berth and also find the next franchise QB for the Pats. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The cherry on top would be if the Shats are forced to pay him $9 MM, which then is won by his accuser. Would be epic karma all around.

The difference being that NE already has a stacked roster. BB is not rebuilding an entire team and implementing a completely new system.
They made major additions between 2000 and 2001 resulting in going from 5-11 to 11-5 (starting 0-2 in 2001 before brady took over)?

I don’t know how true it is but NFL radio said it was 5 million at the time of signing then 4 million at the beginning of 2020.

Tex

If he’d have just kept his mouth shut and played for the Raiders, none of this happens, right?
The first accuser wanted $2 million or she would have filed a civil case. He didn't pay, so she the expectation was that he would have been served and the process would have occurred in OAK instead of NE.

I don’t know how true it is but NFL radio said it was 5 million at the time of signing then 4 million at the beginning of 2020.

Tex
It's being reported in NE that the $5 million was due two weeks after his date of signing . . . which is Monday 9/23.

If the Pats end up having to pay AB, the Raiders won in this fiasco. Well, except for the draft picks. :doh:  

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.
$158,333

I can't image anyone taking a chance on him now. Of course... I thought that after he was released by the Raiders so....
One team, and I think even they are going to probably back off.  Seattle. But I don't think Pete Carrol wants the head ache either.  Did you see Belichek's face in that last presser.  He had already had enough and that was BB.  If he couldn't handle the storm, no one can. 

It's being reported in NE that the $5 million was due two weeks after his date of signing . . . which is Monday 9/23.
I guess we’ll see not that it matters much. I’m just repeating what NFL radio is currently saying.

Tex

far cry from anarchy's 58,000
I also said the league will place a cap hold on Brown until they iron out the details and at some point they will add back in whatever amount they determine to add back in. Usually that happens in the offseason, so whatever cap relief they opt to afford the Patriots, it will come as a cap credit for 2020. Basically, at some point if the league decides to give NE cap relief, it just frees up more cap space for next year.

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019

I hate New England and would root for Al Qaeda State if they played one another, but I have to give the Patriots credit for doing the right thing here.  They handled this situation about as well as they realistically could have considering that the serious allegations broke after they acquired him.

Thoughts and Prayers to all the Patriots fans and people who had AB on their fantasy teams. 
True story.

I traded him last night in my 15 year running dynasty league.

sent:

Deshaun Watson

Antonio Brown

Shady McCoy

Received:

Myles Sanders

Michael Gallup

Cole Beasley

2020 1st rounder (Between 1st - 4th overall).

2- 2020 3rd rounders

I am rebuilding (Lamar Jackson is my other QB) and his team has Tyreek Hill on the shelf. 

I feel kinda bad......but man what timing.

• Laughing
Reactions: -X-
One team, and I think even they are going to probably back off.  Seattle. But I don't think Pete Carrol wants the head ache either.  Did you see Belichek's face in that last presser.  He had already had enough and that was BB.  If he couldn't handle the storm, no one can. 
No way to know this, but:

So going into today’s presser, Belichick had no intention whatsoever of cutting Brown? And his decision to do so was pretty much made during the presser, or toward the end of it?

What do Patriots observers believe? Interested to read the perspectives on this, even if it’s a lot of guesswork.

Ian reporting he hasn’t like Anarchy is saying and if that language is correct in his contract he won’t see a dime of that bonus.

Tex

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019
Machiavelli sez: Shoulda paid Taylor the $2 million. Call it a stupid tax.

Everybody always overlooks the Cowboys. The Cowboys have taken on a LOT of guys with significant character concerns.

Machiavelli sez: Shoulda paid Taylor the $2 million. Call it a stupid tax.
Not in his shoes but with the kind of money he was going to make maybe you pay the settlement money & go from there with the idea you will never get involved in situations like that again.   I don't know whether guilty or innocent but with today's culture you can barely comment on how good a woman looks.  sad situation all the way around.

peace out.

No way to know this, but:

So going into today’s presser, Belichick had no intention whatsoever of cutting Brown? And his decision to do so was pretty much made during the presser, or toward the end of it?

What do Patriots observers believe? Interested to read the perspectives on this, even if it’s a lot of guesswork.
I imagine they were playing it out, aware that there were alleged menacing messages, but then when the league said they had confirmed that the messages were in fact sent by AB that was the pivot point.

Huh?

The Patriot way is ALL Belichick.

That said, I feel like they will both retire at the same time.
We'll see. Certainly anything can happen. But in recent radio interviews (read as not press conferences), BB said he enjoys coaching now more than ever, what else would he do, and the talking heads feel he will continue to coach after TB is gone. They guessed 5 or 6 more years. So unless you think Brady plays until he's 48 . . .

Users who are viewing this thread