What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (13 Viewers)

Four weeks in, this story makes complete sense.

But in Week 12, some team pushing for a playoff spot is going to have a player go down and AB can be the ringer they need to push them over the top.

Four weeks in, this story makes complete sense.

But in Week 12, some team pushing for a playoff spot is going to have a player go down and AB can be the ringer they need to push them over the top.
I don’t know. Yes, he’s Antonio Brown but he’s also out of game shape and no spring chicken. Plus he’d have to develop chemistry with the QB of any team he joins.

It’s not like a RB that can literally and figuratively hit the ground running.

People act like Brown is just going to come back to whatever team will have him at whatever salary they propose.  Good luck with that.

I'm certainly not counting on him being in my week 9 or 10 starting lineup, but I still think we're getting to a point in the season where he's an interesting stash, IF and only if your roster size is large enough to deal with all of the injuries, bye weeks, and covid contingencies, and there isn't an interesting young WR on waivers.   Not sure how to handicap the odds that he gets more than the 8 games, but if he doesn't, that leaves plenty of time to get on board with a new team by the fantasy playoffs.   

I feel like there's something like a 20% chance we're talking about a plus-WR2 going into fantasy playoff weeks.   You have to factor in the opportunity cost that you're likely wasting a roster spot for a handful of weeks, but if you have the roster size to cope with that, it's generally rare to find higher upside on the waiver wire in those leagues.   If there's any teeth to it, I would expect rumors to start swirling between weeks 6 & 7.             

How is he serving a suspension if he is currently not under contract?
Not typical but it’s happened before.  Josh Gordon is an example.  Pattern seems to be players who have been in the league and had multiple related infractions so whether they will be able to find someone to sign them or not Goodell plays it safe and suspends them regardless.

I'm not comfortable going against what Schefter is saying but would point out that just last week, and it may have been recorded a few days before I heard it, Josina Anderson was a guest on a podcast and she was asked if she expects AB to play this year and she said yes  and that demand for his services was growing.

There is one  problematic issue that might scare a few teams off regarding his civil trial but before I get into that let me first say it's a misconception that anything negative that comes out of that trial will result in an increased suspension. Now it could, but the misconception  a lot of people have is that the NFL factored none of the sexual assault case into AB's 8 game suspension. That's not true. The NFL did investigate that case and what they said was if any "new information"  arises they would suspend him further meaning new information they did not discover in their investigation.

Now that potentially problematic issue I mentioned is the timing of AB's civil trial which is December 15th.  If damaging info came out of that trial the NFL would likely immediately suspend him further or at minimum put him on the commissioner exempt list while they decide how much longer to suspend him. That would possibly knock out AB after week 14.

So if we can assume any team that wanted to bring in AB would be a team that believes it has a shot to go on a SB run you got to think decision makers on those teams would be leery about bringing  in AB, dealing with that distraction and spending a few weeks working him into the system only to potentially lose him heading into week 15. I think most teams would just rather not deal with that even if they knew for sure AB would conduct himself professionally.

I think he's already tried to push the date back of the trial but that's not been working. He could of course settle at anytime and make all of this go away, and he's come close to doing that a few times but I believe he feels he did nothing wrong, has already lost a lot of money over this and has to much pride to settle now.

My conclusion:

While I hate to go against Shefter whose word is as strong as it gets I  still think he plays and I'll take it a step further and say I think a team might have already made assurances to him that if he's stays out of trouble up till around time his suspension is up they would offer him a contract. My reasoning for that is simple minded enough and it's that he took the 8 game suspension with no fight at all  and since that time he's remained very level headed on social media. I believe if no team was showing him interest because of the looming civil trial and threat for further suspension calm and accepting AB is not what we'd be seeing.

Anyone think he'd sign a contract without huge guarantees?  Anyone think a team would be dumb enough offer those guarantees? 

As far as I know he's still trying to get $30 million from the Raiders he thinks he's owed because he didn't do anything wrong.

Anyone think he'd sign a contract without huge guarantees?  Anyone think a team would be dumb enough offer those guarantees? 

As far as I know he's still trying to get $30 million from the Raiders he thinks he's owed because he didn't do anything wrong.
No team is going to give AB much in guarantees. His ability to demand anything is long gone. He is at the point where he has to go begging with his hat in his hand for whatever someone will give him. And no team will give him a long term deal given that in the last year he has wore out his welcome at 4 teams (PIT, BUF, LV, and NE). I would guess anyone that is considering signing him would do so for slightly above the league minimum with some incentives. AB needs to show he can keep his mouth shut and still play. If he plays nice, he might be able to earn a much bigger deal next season. Whomever signs him would stand to earn a compensatory pick if he ended up moving on. Bottom line, if things worked out with Brown, they could in essence be getting a few games out of him and buying a compensatory pick at the same time. The question is whether there is a team that has figured that out and has calculated if that is worth the risk is of things going off the rails in their locker room.

Every time this thread gets bumped I think of Alex Honnold
Every time I see it bumped I always wonder to myself, has this surpassed the Christine Michael thread? Then I cross my fingers that some news comes about Michael for a close race to the finish line

Every time I see it bumped I always wonder to myself, has this surpassed the Christine Michael thread? Then I cross my fingers that some news comes about Michael for a close race to the finish line
Everytime the Free Solo thread (FFA) gets bumped I think oh no....

Everytime this one gets bumped I wonder WITW did he do now?

Ben Roethlisberger appears to have message for AB. 

Link
I didn’t hear Bens comments myself but some of the Pittsburgh sports radio guys agreed with your conclusion.

I will say a couple of years ago when AB and Bell were self-destructing as Steelers the national media painted Ben as the problem.  Considering how ABs and Bells post-Steelers careers have gone I think they were their own problem. 

I didn’t hear Bens comments myself but some of the Pittsburgh sports radio guys agreed with your conclusion.

I will say a couple of years ago when AB and Bell were self-destructing as Steelers the national media painted Ben as the problem.  Considering how ABs and Bells post-Steelers careers have gone I think they were their own problem. 
AB has a broken brain and Bell was stuck with Gase.

If we're counting Bell is still the only one who hasn't sexually assaulted someone.

AB has a broken brain and Bell was stuck with Gase.

If we're counting Bell is still the only one who hasn't sexually assaulted someone.
Sexual assault is obviously heinous. 

But I will say after Ben was charged he turned a new leaf at least for his public life.  Can’t say the same for AB. 

Are you serious?
Yes.  He would be maybe the 3rd receiver there?  Hasn't played a game in forever, and joins a team halfway through the fantasy season.  He's better than Gordon but Gordon did nothing there.  I can't even see him as a WR2 in fantasy.

Question.

Does anyone know if he signs with a team that has a bye before week 9 if he'd be eligible to play week 9 or would he have to sit out till week 10 so that he'd miss 8 game checks? 

Yes.  He would be maybe the 3rd receiver there?  Hasn't played a game in forever, and joins a team halfway through the fantasy season.  He's better than Gordon but Gordon did nothing there.  I can't even see him as a WR2 in fantasy.
You do you.

Just above Bourne and Amendola in the rankings going forward.
I'm sure that will adjust a bit once he signs. 

How does everyone in here project him for redraft if he lands in Seattle? Figured this was a spot to discuss this kinda stuff but Menobrown doesn't seem to think so lol

Users who are viewing this thread