What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

This thread sounds like guys who picked up AB vs guys who got beat to the wire.
I’m a Bucs fan which is my only interest here. Evans is playing like a 75 year old man and Godwin is coming back from injury. If AB doesn’t go nuts he’s going to see a ton of passes. I could see them wanting to take stress of Evans and Gronk to get them ready for the playoffs. 

Curious - since Brown's bout of legal trouble, has he done anything to publicly change his optics?  Is there any contrition coming from him?  Any sign that he's trying not to be the person who's accused of sexually assaulting his trainer or any of the other things he's accused of doing such as seeking medical help or therapy?

Curious - since Brown's bout of legal trouble, has he done anything to publicly change his optics?  Is there any contrition coming from him?  Any sign that he's trying not to be the person who's accused of sexually assaulting his trainer or any of the other things he's accused of doing such as seeking medical help or therapy?
Well I dont think he's sexually assaulted anyone lately ..... so there's that

This thread sounds like guys who picked up AB vs guys who got beat to the wire.
I think I'm being pretty unbiased whenever I discuss a player. I'd rather be right, than just lie to myself or others.

Full disclosure, across my 4 leagues, I have Brown in 2, Godwin in 2, and Evans in 1. 

Just curious. Is he coming off the suspension for sure,or he is eligible to come off?

Also,are there any "issues" still out there that could sideline him at any time? Pending charges? Anything like that. 

I don’t get the point of this tweet.  I seem to remember AB’s PPG stats on the Pats to be quite good.
I think the point he is making is that he didn't have a lasting impact because something came up.  That's been the problem with AB is that something always comes up.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious. Is he coming off the suspension for sure,or he is eligible to come off?

Also,are there any "issues" still out there that could sideline him at any time? Pending charges? Anything like that. 
I'm not positive,  but I don't think he has settled the lawsuit that alleges sexual assault.  So,  if something comes out of that he could probably get another suspension.  This should encourage him to hopefully settle it and move on before it comes back to bite him.

I think the point he is making is that he didn't have a lasting impact because something came up.  That's been the problem with AB is that something always comes up.  
But everyone knows that already, so there’s no point in trying to keep everyone’s “expectations” in check. 

He’s basically getting the league minimum with some incentives.  If there’s off-field stuff That surfaces again, then they are out some prorated minimum salary game checks.  As far as on-field antics, we saw no evidence of diva behavior on the Pats (unlike the Raiders, where he probably never had interest in playing anyway).  Arians and Brady aren’t going to put up with that, and if it happens, again, he’ll be gone fast and they’ll be out some game checks.

Actually just read on a Steelers depot article from a few weeks ago that Brown's attorney in the Taylor lawsuit dismissed himself? Says Brown was ordered to produce text messages,  but hasn't and that's when attorney begged off the case.  

Man this guy just doesn't get it. 

But everyone knows that already, so there’s no point in trying to keep everyone’s “expectations” in check. 

He’s basically getting the league minimum with some incentives.  If there’s off-field stuff That surfaces again, then they are out some prorated minimum salary game checks.  As far as on-field antics, we saw no evidence of diva behavior on the Pats (unlike the Raiders, where he probably never had interest in playing anyway).  Arians and Brady aren’t going to put up with that, and if it happens, again, he’ll be gone fast and they’ll be out some game checks.
Just read this thread as evidence that people are altering their expectations for the TB offense. 

What a few weeks ago was a maybe 60% Evans, Scottie Miller and Justin Watson, is now going to be Brown, a hopefully 100% Evans, and Godwin. Could certainly that adding 8-12 pass attempts per game.
Seems like a stretch to me. They are currently #7 in pass attempts per game, at 37.3 per game. DAL is first at 48.3 per game, but CIN is #2 at 41.0 per game. So +8-12 attempts per game for Tampa would elevate them to top 2 in passing attempts per game. Just doesn't seem to make sense given the quality of their defense and given that increasing passing attempts by 20-30% will also increase how often Brady gets hit.

If Brown is still close to what he was in 2018 and if he can avoid non-football issues, I think the bigger impact will be on the quality of Brady's targets, especially to people other than Brown. Evans and Godwin won't be able to be doubled and will draw weaker CB matchups. So that might help to offset any reduction in their targets. And any value Miller had is gone, barring injuries.

Please remind me: was AB in Patriot's training camp last season and was he around for the pre-season games?  
No, Brown was "in" the Raiders camp. He had the foot issue and missed a lot of time.
The fallout came when Mayok wanted to fine Brown.

Godwin and Evans haven't been healthy. I've watched with keen interest, as I'm a Godwin dynasty and redraft guy. I have him all over the place. He doesn't look as fast as he was last year. That's a given with his injuries, but I wonder if there's something else we don't know about. Evans has looked gimpy on his ankle. We saw what happens when they both can't really go. You get an easily winnable game like Chicago and you lose it. They can't afford that in the playoffs.

Long story short: I think health reasons regarding their other receivers is what caused Tampa to do this. Otherwise, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to bring this guy in. Arians so much said so earlier in the year. But circumstances change, and I think this was a case of just that.

I know we're a couple weeks away, but I wonder how many A Brown owners will be starting him in week 9 vs those who sit him on their bench to watch n' see. Some owners may or may not have that luxury, I get it. This thread will continue to blow up for probably the rest of the year. We're also watching his ranking numbers per FBG's ROS move the needle up as well. Yesterday he was like WR #103, now he's #52 with points per game projections going from low 5's to 8.44. In other words, he's a buy. I am sure trades are already happening as well. Be interesting to see what he brings too. What can Brown do for you? Perhaps in week 9 he moves from WR #3 all the way to WR #1in week 10 - idk. Regardless, I totally believe Brady will look his way often.

Is this his true last chance? I remember thinking that when NE signed him last year. Yet, here we are.  

Probably not (unless he truly has lost a couple steps).  There will be a team that is "going for it" that values his talent.  I do believe he will probably screw things up at some point in Tampa.   

Look at the contract incentives. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Buccaneers WR Antonio Brown's one-year contract has a max value of $2.5 million after incentives.

The deal includes a $750,000 bonus for a Super Bowl win. It also features bonuses for receptions, yards, TDs thresholds, each of which is worth $250K. All three statistical bonuses include the caveat that Tampa Bay must make the playoffs. The rest of his contract is $1 million in base salary and roster bonuses. Brown's range of outcomes is incredibly wide in Tampa Bay. Fantasy managers should view him as a flex option once he takes the field. His ceiling could be much higher if he takes on a large role and looks like the Brown of 2018 when he last played in Pittsburgh. 

Talk about a motivational contract. But does he have a meltdown if the ball isn’t going his way?
Tom will get him the ball plenty - it’s up to AB to do something with it.

after reading the contract details? I’m very excited about AB’s usage this year.

Bleacher Report: Arians: If Antonio Brown Complains About Touches 'We're Going to Have a Problem'

"Mike [Evans] never #####es," Arians told Peter King of NBC Sports. "I love Mike. Today he didn't touch the ball till the fourth quarter, but he just wants to win. Chris Godwin, same way. Gronk, same way. If AB's not that way, then we're going to have a problem."

"This team's too good not to make that run and give our guys, our locker room, every chance," Arians said. "This move wasn't made without me talking to every single one of our veteran players. Do you want this guy? Do you want this guy in our locker room? Every man said yes."
This totally sounds like a coach who wanted AB here and didn't get overruled by the owners, players and Tom Brady.

EDIT: Full interview article with Arians

I hope AB goes across the middle and gets blasted out of his cleats.   I don’t want to be injured permanently or anything but hope it is enough for him to want to stay off the field forever.  

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Scotty Miller are all dealing with nagging injuries and are not 100 percent healthy. 

Arians cited the receivers' health in explaining why the team signed Antonio Brown to a one-year deal. “They’re hurting,” Arians said, “they’re playing, but they’re nowhere near full speed. I think we can get better and better. ... Offensively we’ve been struggling all year with injuries. I wanna be able to make that playoff push with whoever’s available.” Arians said Godwin (hamstring) is playing at 80 percent, Evans (ankle) at 80 percent, and Miller (hip) at 85 percent. This probably doesn't explain Evans' lack of involvement in the Tampa offense when Godwin is in the lineup. Evans drafters should look to him as a flex option going forward. 

RELATED: 

Chris Godwin

, Scotty Miller

, Antonio Brown

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Oct 27, 2020, 10:28 AM ET

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Scotty Miller are all dealing with nagging injuries and are not 100 percent healthy. 

Arians cited the receivers' health in explaining why the team signed Antonio Brown to a one-year deal. “They’re hurting,” Arians said, “they’re playing, but they’re nowhere near full speed. I think we can get better and better. ... Offensively we’ve been struggling all year with injuries. I wanna be able to make that playoff push with whoever’s available.” Arians said Godwin (hamstring) is playing at 80 percent, Evans (ankle) at 80 percent, and Miller (hip) at 85 percent. This probably doesn't explain Evans' lack of involvement in the Tampa offense when Godwin is in the lineup. Evans drafters should look to him as a flex option going forward. 
Expect AB84 to step right into WR1 role. Putting all our "ooh, burned" feelings aside... Tom Brady loves him and probably stretched himself a bit in lobbying for Brown. It will be instant gratification just like we saw in MIA in 2019.

The Godwin finger injury and Arians' comments about the health of the current WRs does impact AB's immediate value.

Their bye is week 13.  I would think it gives them time to heal so the fantasy playoff weeks are muddy to me.

The Godwin finger injury and Arians' comments about the health of the current WRs does impact AB's immediate value.

Their bye is week 13.  I would think it gives them time to heal so the fantasy playoff weeks are muddy to me.
It's a weird year. Whatever is going on with Evans it's severe enough to limit his explosiveness, but not bad enough to sit which makes me think this will be a season long situation unless they shut him down for a few weeks.

Poor Godwin... dude just can't go a day without getting struck by lightning.

One thing to be positive about with AB is that he's not made a single social media post since news broke he was about to sign. Nothing at all for about 3 weeks when he posted "Ain't flash a smile in a long time" on IG which was Brady immediately responded to with a "💗💯" (but has nothing to do with signing him of course).

One thing to be positive about with AB is that he's not made a single social media post since news broke he was about to sign. Nothing at all for about 3 weeks when he posted "Ain't flash a smile in a long time" on IG which was Brady immediately responded to with a "💗💯" (but has nothing to do with signing him of course)
Man, that grammar is horrible. We all know it's "Ain't flash NO smile in a long time"

He’s had a taste of the humble pie. I believe his friendship with TB12 is real and will actively do everything in his power to help keep AB’s head in the game and on the straight and narrow. He has most likely been told this is his last chance. TB12 sticking his neck out for him speaks volumes. The risk is most definitely worth the reward here. I believe with much confidence that they will hit the ground running

I bought for a 3rd next year in a best ball dynasty. I think he's worth the risk. And as crazy as AB has been, he HAS to know this is it. If he really wants to play this game and make his money, he shuts the fudge up and lets the GOAT lead and direct him. 

Seem a little off. So, I should be trying to trade D. Hopkins for D. Slayton? 🤔
Brown being WR2 overall, isn't even among the 10 least likely things on that list.

Nelson Agholor is WR5. Hopkins, Julio, and Metcalf are all outside the top-20. No Bengals WR in the top-35(they could have 3) Johnson/Claypool both outside the top-50. Tyrell Williams is WR30(is he even going to play this season?)

Ummmm... am I reading this projection correctly 🤩, they got Antonio Brown as the WR #2 for the ROS. It really wouldn't surprise me. His contract is incentive laden. Tom Brady to Antonio Brown could be HUGE.
Fantasy Sharks is and always has been by FAR the worst fantasy site out there.  I really hope you don't use them often.

And ya, Brown is #2 there and DK Metcalf is #25.  It's just a garbage site.

Users who are viewing this thread