What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (15 Viewers)

Sending a message to future players that acting like an unprofessional buffoon won't get you what you want seems to be worth a lot more to the Steelers than a 3rd round pick.

Look at what they did with Le'Veon.

Even if they give in to Brown, by now the perception is that they have already tarnished their general reputation with players (between this and the Bell situation), so they might as well stick to their guns. 

Im not sure if Brown or the Steelers ends up looking worse at the end of all this. Probably the Steelers given its their second star that is publicly demanding a ticket out of town.

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

That franchise is a dumpster fire.
I think Bell still likes the Steelers and those players and fo are fond of him. He just wants wr money. 

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

That franchise is a dumpster fire.
Reminds of the time I interviewed at NASA... received an offer, quite nice, but asked the Director of the space program, "so what about these guys that take home office supplies?" He gave me the "as long as the shuttle makes it back in one piece" line. Of course I walked too.

I can see PIT trading to TEAM X and that team flipping him to NE for way more than they gave up.
New England’s the last place he ends up. The Pats have been to 4 of the last 5 Superbowls on the back of humility and team-mindedness. Antonio Brown is the exact opposite of that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
New England’s the last place he ends up. The Pats have been to 4 of the last 5 Superbowls on the back of humility and team-mindedness. Antonio Brown is the exact opposite of that. 
The Patriots have only one WR signed for next year (Edelman) and have a history of taking on or bringing in divas, me first guys, or receivers with issues (Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Josh Gordon, Donte Stallworth as examples). They certainly have shown they are not turned off at the prospect of taking on someone like AB. There really aren't any WR1's on the open market, their track record for drafting receivers is one step below terrible, and they probably wouldn't target someone like OBJ because his cap number would be too high. They definitely have a need for WR's. Not saying it's likely to happen, but I would bet there would be internal discussions as to whether they should consider it and what it would take to get him on the roster.

I don't think he ends up in NE either, but your argument's premise is pure myth.

The Patriots have only one WR signed for next year (Edelman) and have a history of taking on or bringing in divas, me first guys, or receivers with issues (Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Josh Gordon, Donte Stallworth as examples). They certainly have shown they are not turned off at the prospect of taking on someone like AB. There really aren't any WR1's on the open market, their track record for drafting receivers is one step below terrible, and they probably wouldn't target someone like OBJ because his cap number would be too high. They definitely have a need for WR's. Not saying it's likely to happen, but I would bet there would be internal discussions as to whether they should consider it and what it would take to get him on the roster.
I sure hope teams aren't stupid enough to trade AB to NE.

I wouldn't have thought that the Raiders would trade Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper for picks in an attempt to draft the next Khalil Mack or Amari Cooper. So anything is possible.
Both traded to the other conference.  But a trade to the NFC, then back to the AFC and to NE sounds remote at best.  A trade fom Pittsburgh to NE isn't happening.  A trade to another AFC team then back to NE is not only remote, but would be very foolish of that AFC team.

Both traded to the other conference.  But a trade to the NFC, then back to the AFC and to NE sounds remote at best.  A trade fom Pittsburgh to NE isn't happening.  A trade to another AFC team then back to NE is not only remote, but would be very foolish of that AFC team.
I agree that it's unlikely, but not much shocks me anymore. So I would not be totally surprised If AB got sent to the Lions and Patricia flipped him to NE for a bunch of picks. Probably less than a 1% chance of it happening, but something hoodie might try to finagle. Bottom line, NE is going to have to do something to bring in more receivers. How and from where will be interesting to observe. There's already been talk and speculation of the Pats revisiting their WR acquisition strategy like they did in 2007 when they brought in Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Gaffney.

I also would be curious what the Steelers would do if NE offered the best deal for Brown if PIT would still say no dice. Again, an unlikely scenario, but if NE offers a first and a second and no other team offers more than a 4th, would PIT still say no? (I am aware the Pats wouldn't offer that.)

I can see PIT trading to TEAM X and that team flipping him to NE for way more than they gave up.
I actually had that same thought the other night when I read La Canfora's report. Easy to do since his contract has no bonus or guaranteed money in it.

The risk a team might take of doing such a deal is incurring a bad rep so that the next time a team want's to make sure they send a player to a place that won't come back on them I think they'd have second thoughts about dealing with that team.

But I honestly have never understood this stance of not trading a player you don't want anymore to a rival team. If you get the best deal for your team you should take it. If you think the player is so great you won't take the best available trade out of fear he'll come back on you then you probably need to think twice about making trading the player. 

Besides, and I'm saying this as a Steeler fan, if they trade AB I don't see them viably contending next year anyway. I don't really care where they trade him with respect to worrying about impact of Steelers making the SB next year.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Has something like this ever happened? I don't recall but I'm also probably forgetting an obvious example.
folks are just making up random stuff now. If we're doing that, then I predict that the NFL puts a team on the moon and AB will be their franchise player that draws the crowd to Telsa Moon Base Stadium. I know it's the offseason, so we gotta talk about something, but a trade that specifically leads to another trade seems like fun offseason conjecture that has 0.00001% of actually happening.

folks are just making up random stuff now. If we're doing that, then I predict that the NFL puts a team on the moon and AB will be their franchise player that draws the crowd to Telsa Moon Base Stadium. I know it's the offseason, so we gotta talk about something, but a trade that specifically leads to another trade seems like fun offseason conjecture that has 0.00001% of actually happening.
A more realistic scenario that gets AB to NE would be for him to be traded somewhere (lets say an NFC team)... then he keeps up his antics and gets cut... BOOM... he signs with NE.

A more realistic scenario that gets AB to NE would be for him to be traded somewhere (lets say an NFC team)... then he keeps up his antics and gets cut... BOOM... he signs with NE.
"Insiders" allegedly said that the Steelers would be lucky to get a day 2 pick for AB. What if the Pats were offering a day 2 pick while all other teams were offering a 4th round pick? Would the Steelers bite? 

"Insiders" allegedly said that the Steelers would be lucky to get a day 2 pick for AB. What if the Pats were offering a day 2 pick while all other teams were offering a 4th round pick? Would the Steelers bite? 
I doubt it.  Steeler fans would be irate if they traded AB to NE.  

Should worrying about what fans think be the deciding factor in making football decisions? Definitely a factor but not the primary factor. If you could get a high value draft pick I think that would better serve the team long term. 

Just to clarify, those aren't my words. I am quoting reports have been circulating about his value. Too lazy to google and link. What fascinates my is the notion that the Steelers would take substantially less from any team not named the Patriots. That seems to go against their own long term interests. 

Just to clarify, those aren't my words. I am quoting reports have been circulating about his value. Too lazy to google and link. What fascinates my is the notion that the Steelers would take substantially less from any team not named the Patriots. That seems to go against their own long term interests. 
To take a significantly worse pick to keep him away from NE would be cutting off the nose to spite the face, but politics do play a role.

All else equal, I imagine the Steelers don’t want AB to have a terrific season upon leaving. But wherever he goes, discussing his 2019-2021 contract will be huge. Every inch of me believes AB threw up his skirt so he could force a trade and get paid one, last, time. 

I agree that getting paid is one motivating factor, but for whatever reason AB seems to have an ax to grind with BB. It is sounds like a pretty large ax.

Abbreviations have gotten completely out of hand on that board.

But this recent exchange works best if we read “B.B.” as “Big Ben” rather than “Bill Bellichek,” as the 99% of us who weren’t the original poster did.

Ironically, “B.B.” with the periods is actually more characters than just saying “Ben” and avoiding all confusion.

But this recent exchange works best if we read “B.B.” as “Big Ben” rather than “Bill Bellichek,” as the 99% of us who weren’t the original poster did.

Ironically, “B.B.” with the periods is actually more characters than just saying “Ben” and avoiding all confusion.
Thank you! WTF uses BB for Big Ben? :lmao:

I assumed Belichick because why would you ever use B.B. for Roethlisberger? I’ve never seen that before in my life. 

Edit: Ok went back and it appears to be Big Ben. Can we never use that again, especially when the Pats are involved in the same conversation. 

Should worrying about what fans think be the deciding factor in making football decisions? Definitely a factor but not the primary factor. If you could get a high value draft pick I think that would better serve the team long term. 
Of course not and the Steelers will do what's best for them regardless of what the fans think.  I answered your question with "I doubt it".  Then added, as a separate comment, that the fans would hate a trade to NE, not that the Steelers would use that to determine what to do.

ESPN's Mike Wells does not expect the Colts to pursue Antonio Brown.

The Colts are overflowing with cap space. They also have a thin receiver depth chart behind T.Y. Hilton. Nevertheless, Wells does not expect GM Chris Ballard to make a run, due at least in part fo the distraction factor. The Steelers reportedly will not trade Brown to the AFC North or Patriots. If Indy also isn't a player, that's a fertile ground of potential suitors who are already off the board.

RELATED:  

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Feb 14, 2019, 2:36 PM

Looks like the typical guy the hawks go after, give too high of a pick for, sign to too big of an extension, don't throw them the ball enough and have it end up in a big hissy fit between the team and player.

Still think Washington is a possibility. They jumped first when Josh Norman and Desean Jackson became available and this seems pretty similar, a great talent but questionable in the locker room. 

Still think Washington is a possibility. They jumped first when Josh Norman and Desean Jackson became available and this seems pretty similar, a great talent but questionable in the locker room. 
Colt McCoy or Josh Johnson to AB would be unstoppable.

Obviously the Skins are poorly run so it likely will happen but not sure why a team with no QB would give up draft picks and pay a big salary to an aging WR.

Colt McCoy or Josh Johnson to AB would be unstoppable.

Obviously the Skins are poorly run so it likely will happen but not sure why a team with no QB would give up draft picks and pay a big salary to an aging WR.
I am assuming its a real possibility for 4 reasons.

1. Dan Snyder is an idiot

2. Redskins don't have a #1 WR on the roster

3. AB wants to get paid, Dan will pay him

4. I'm under the assumption he won't cost an early pick, but even so, the Redskins have proved that other than drafting Jamison Crowder, they haven't hit on a WR in the first 3 rounds in almost 2 decades. They can't draft a WR to save their lives, so might as well trade for one. It worked for Portis, it could work here.

And they are most certainly going to sign a FA and draft a rookie QB. Not saying it won't be a downgrade for AB, but if he's getting paid, he'll find a way to live I think ;)

If AB doesn’t want to meet with a Rooney, I’m sure he’ll get along fine with a Snyder, York or Irsay. What a ####### clown.

I can excuse a lot of the stuff AB has pulled but when a respected owner like Rooney is offering to have a talk with you and not even require you to come to Pittsburgh it's an awful look and seems like a dumb decision. I would just say if based on what we know or what is reported is true, AB's latest tweet today was "Organizations got the fans tricked" so I'm guessing he's got his cryptic take and sees things differently. I  just fail to see the negative of accepting that invite? If AB has issues with Ben, Tomlin, etc, now would be his chance to air them to a party that is obviously intent on listening. If AB failed to get a satisfactory response from Rooney to his grievances then so what, what was the harm? He got off his chest and he can continue to ask for a trade after the meeting if he so desired. Most of all it  would have provided both parties to sit down and have a discussion  that if trading him was the avenue they would pursue what would AB's camp be willing to do to help facilitate a trade. In other words is their a way both parties can work together to get maximum comp to Steelers while trying to send AB someplace he wants to go.

I'll tell you what worries me about this as a Steeler fan. That Rooney is the one continuing to make the effort and continuing to get rebuffed and that likely implies to the quality of trade offers the Steelers have been getting. Logic would seem that if Steelers got something close to the compensation they've been seeking then Rooney would not be making this kind of effort to smooth things over.

I can excuse a lot of the stuff AB has pulled but when a respected owner like Rooney is offering to have a talk with you and not even require you to come to Pittsburgh it's an awful look and seems like a dumb decision. I would just say if based on what we know or what is reported is true, AB's latest tweet today was "Organizations got the fans tricked" so I'm guessing he's got his cryptic take and sees things differently. I  just fail to see the negative of accepting that invite? If AB has issues with Ben, Tomlin, etc, now would be his chance to air them to a party that is obviously intent on listening. If AB failed to get a satisfactory response from Rooney to his grievances then so what, what was the harm? He got off his chest and he can continue to ask for a trade after the meeting if he so desired. Most of all it  would have provided both parties to sit down and have a discussion  that if trading him was the avenue they would pursue what would AB's camp be willing to do to help facilitate a trade. In other words is their a way both parties can work together to get maximum comp to Steelers while trying to send AB someplace he wants to go.

I'll tell you what worries me about this as a Steeler fan. That Rooney is the one continuing to make the effort and continuing to get rebuffed and that likely implies to the quality of trade offers the Steelers have been getting. Logic would seem that if Steelers got something close to the compensation they've been seeking then Rooney would not be making this kind of effort to smooth things over.
Again AB is acting like he is an UFA and not a player signed for another 3 years.    His only leverage in this is to be such a A whole that the Steelers will take any deal just to get rid of him.  However if I am the Steelers and the best I can get is a middle round pick I am sending him to Buffalo or Arizona.

Users who are viewing this thread