What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (14 Viewers)

@AdamSchefter

There are those around the league who now believe the Raiders could suspend Antonio Brown with the idea of trying to void the $30.125 million of guaranteed money in his contract. Which obviously would end his time in Oakland.
What they must do at this point.

Putting their support behind him with his helmet fiasco didn't work obviously. This is a bad team with or without Antonio Brown. Get out of the contract and move on. 

They'll need another outside WR long-term but I think they struck gold in the slot with Renfrow. He has the short area quickness that NFL really value (see contracts awarded to Beasley and Humphries). And you just really never know. His outcomes could range from Beasley to Edelman. He fits well with what Carr does.

Last edited by a moderator:
"surprised if AB ever plays a game in a Raiders uniform".  "I will hit you in the face. (AB punt ball). Fine me for that".  Crazy.  Business is boomin' alright!  Wow. 

I think they’ve put themselves into the position where they try to void the contract. Only other way I see this working is if Mayock is gone. Not sure that’s the precedent any NFL team wants. This league fights tooth and nail not to be the NBA in any way possible.

I think Mayock SHOULD fine him.  AND let him play.   They can always get conduct detrimental.  Mayock has him.  He can turn the screws until AB pops if he wants. 

What they must do at this point.

Putting their support behind him with his helmet fiasco didn't work obviously. This is a bad team with or without Antonio Brown. Get out of the contract and move on. 

They'll need another outside WR long-term but I think they struck gold in the slot with Renfrow. He has the short area quickness that NFL really value (see contracts awarded to Beasley and Humphries). And you just really never know. His outcomes could range from Beasley to Edelman. He fits well with what Carr does.
There has been tremendous support over the helmet issue and yet, he just keeps on being a clown. I believe that you are correct and that he will never play a down for the Raiders.

Stranger than fiction.  This is way better than “Ballers” on HBO.

Drew Rosenhaus needs to earn his paycheck and help smooth this situation over...AB has a small chance of making things right if he can be a little Humble come press time after practice today.... Man I wish I didnt draft him 

I waffled before drafting AB over Thielen on Tuesday night.  Had a buddy tell me AB was the steal of the draft.  Sure pal.  Sure.  

I think Mayock SHOULD fine him.  AND let him play.   They can always get conduct detrimental.  Mayock has him.  He can turn the screws until AB pops if he wants. 
If Brown is on the roster for Week 1 it automatically guarantees his entire 2019 season salary since he is a vested veteran.

So if the Raiders don't want to pay him that $14M for this year, they need to cut him before Monday.

:popcorn:

What a flake. I sort of hope he never plays a down again in the NFL and he never gets another dime of money. 

Drew Rosenhaus needs to earn his paycheck and help smooth this situation over...AB has a small chance of making things right if he can be a little Humble come press time after practice today.... Man I wish I didnt draft him 
He's not at practice today. 

There is zero chance that the Raiders would let him do a press conference right now.

He should be evaluated for mental illness in general. 
A guy at work pitched the CTE angle to me earlier today.  1st time I'd heard it, but it does make total sense.  Since that Burfict hit, his personality has been different.  He went from what I envisioned as a juvenile prankster and fun-loving ugy to a juvenile jack### diva.
He got concussed during the 2015 season. He wasn't too bad with his behaviour during the 2016 season. The worst was he got in trouble for taping the locker room celebration of a playoff game. 2017 he got a big pay day. His bad behavior really started to surface. 2018 his behavior got worse. 2019 his bad behavior is continuing. Maybe the hit by Burfict changed his brain. Maybe the big pay day brought out his true colors, and he is an entitled jerk. Maybe he has a mental illness that needs to be addressed. Maybe it is multiple things. Whatever the reason, he is his own worst enemy right now.

Sorry if this was covered but have a question.

If the Raiders decide to suspend and cut does anyone know how long they can keep him suspended/inactive? Whole season, 4 games? Can't believe it's come to this but now find myself hoping they don't have a mechanism to inactivate him all season and hopefully someone will want to pick him him up. Assuming he is cut that is, which I got  bad feeling about.

Conduct detrimental to the team suspensions can only be up to 4 games. 

If the Raiders decide to suspend and cut does anyone know how long they can keep him suspended/inactive? Whole season, 4 games? Can't believe it's come to this but now find myself hoping they don't have a mechanism to inactivate him all season and hopefully someone will want to pick him him up. Assuming he is cut that is, which I got  bad feeling about.

It has to be tough tip-toeing around someone like AB, but it would be cool if someone stepped in and was the adult here.  Gruden maybe?  Gruden starts with Mayock, trys and talk him into giving a "it's overblown...AB's a competitor, I'm a competitor...." lines in the press and having AB doing the same.  Nobody apologizes, nobody has to back down.

Normally I'd brush this away with the thought that the first 10-100 game he has, all will be forgiven.  But he seems like he's going to be a major problem all season long.  His lack of self-awareness is shocking.

I’m 100% buying right now. 

I think I have one share in a redraft league where he fell, and one in best ball.  

I feel like his value Hass to be through the floor, and owners have to be frustrated as hell. 

If anyone is selling, what are you looking for? Or if you’ve recently picked him up, what did you give?

Hypothetically, what are the financial ramifications if the Raiders cut AB today?  Would they automatically get the signing bonus back or would they have to go to court/arbitrator to recoup that money.

If the Raiders do cut AB today, would any teams be willing to sign this guy?

A guy at work pitched the CTE angle to me earlier today.  1st time I'd heard it, but it does make total sense.  Since that Burfict hit, his personality has been different.  He went from what I envisioned as a juvenile prankster and fun-loving ugy to a juvenile jack### diva.
It doesn’t make perfect sense because (1) even in our preliminary  understanding of the syndrome, which has no definitive answers and myriad questions outstanding, the one thing that has been repeatedly established is that concussions themselves, no matter the number or supposed severity, are not associated with CTE; (2) at WR he is not subject to the chronic repetitive subconcussive trauma which is thought to possibly be what promotes tau aggregation; and (3) his behavior is more likely explained by long standing personality issues, not a neurodegenerative brain disorder. 

It has to be tough tip-toeing around someone like AB, but it would be cool if someone stepped in and was the adult here.  Gruden maybe?  Gruden starts with Mayock, trys and talk him into giving a "it's overblown...AB's a competitor, I'm a competitor...." lines in the press and having AB doing the same.  Nobody apologizes, nobody has to back down.

Normally I'd brush this away with the thought that the first 10-100 game he has, all will be forgiven.  But he seems like he's going to be a major problem all season long.  His lack of self-awareness is shocking.
He's on the fast track out of the NFL.  Don't think anyone can control him at this point.

Pretty sure they'd have to pick one or the other.

if he thought the fines weren't that big of a deal and the team should have just over looked them.....why didn't he just pay them...?...

That's hardly a given.  In fact it'd probably be the next monthslong NFL courtroom drama.
It is a given it is grounds for cancelling the contract (per Ian Rapoport).  But, yeah, anything is possible once you enter the courtroom and this would be headed there.  My understanding is that much of it revolves around whether he plays in Game 1.  Rapoport just stated that if he is suspended for Game 1, then his SEASON is no longer guaranteed and would be the key to voiding the remainder of the contract.   But I have not read the contract, so this is only hearsay.

Users who are viewing this thread