What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

So was TO. At age 32 the cancer shot his way out of the Philly locker room, called out his QB constantly, fights in locker room, etc and was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. If there was Twitter back then I'm sure it was filled with "No one will sign the head case" etc. 

He was released the next year and went on to have three WR 1 seasons with Dallas averaging like 13 TDs. 

Talent >>>>>> Drama

Always has always will. 
That’s fair, but the comp here would be if TO got tossed out of Philly..... then got tossed out by Dallas.

I like the typo. ;)

But Smith was a 4th round pick who ended up making the All Rookie team and averaged 4.9 YPC. I don't think he was overrated; he was just another stupid kid who couldn't figure out how to stay clean long enough to get a pension.
Damn you, autocorrect! :shakesfist:

IIRC he declared himself the steal of the draft, as well. 

That’s fair, but the comp here would be if TO got tossed out of Philly..... then got tossed out by Dallas.
You mean like how he got tossed out by SF for similar comp as AB was by Pitt?

Owens' rights, attempted to trade Owens to the Baltimore Ravens for a second round pick in the 2004 draft. However, Owens challenged the 49ers' right to make the deal. Owens assumed that he would become a free agent on March 3, and did not believe that the earlier deadline was applicable. Hence, he negotiated with other teams in advance of his expected free agency, and reached a contract agreement with the Philadelphia Eagles, whose fan base strongly supported Owens in his desire to play for the team. The NFLPA filed a grievance on his behalf.

Before an arbitrator could make a ruling on Owens' grievance, the NFL and the three teams involved in the controversy reached a settlement on March 16, 2004. The Ravens got their second-round pick back from San Francisco, and the 49ers in turn received a conditional fifth-round pick and defensive end Brandon Whiting from the Eagles in exchange for the rights to Owens. Owens' contract with the Eagles was worth about $49 million for seven years, including a $10 million signing bonus.[18]

I’m playing against his owner in week 1. The guy is clearly fed up with Antonio. My WR situation is good but not great. 

Was mostly curious as I’m tempted to toss out something and see if he bites. If AB plays then all the better. If I give him something ehh and I’m wrong, oh well. That’s why I was curious what others might take now. 
Serious answer. Ask yourself, “what’s the last guy on my roster I would miss if he tore his Achilles tomorrow and never played another down?”

Then offer the guy one below that.

Releasing that private phone conversation with Gruden on YouTube was a #### move
 Also super totally illegal, since California is a two-party state and both parties must consent to being recorded. 

Technically, legally speaking, John Gruden could sue Antonio Brown in civil court for privacy violation.

AngryNFLScoutVet‏ @angryscout2

Don’t know if anyone has said this but I’ll go ahead and confirm. Antonio Brown is bipolar. It’s documented and all 32 teams had it. That is an issue that I don’t ever want to deal with because sometimes players won’t take their meds. It’s clear he isn’t on his meds now.

7:48 AM - 7 Sep 2019

----------------------------------

I did not know he was bipolar and that his condition is/was known by every team.

This can be a very serious mental condition.

If you've known anyone who has had this and how they have acted out then it all makes sense.

This is sad.

Off topic, but I feel like "overated" and "draft bust" are two different things.
Which makes Leaf look even worse, because he was the ultimate example of both in at least the Super Bowl era.

Quite a few said he was better than Peyton Manning...

Sorry guys... just came out of a coma after two years.  Mike Mayock (yes, that Mike Mayock) is GM of the Raiders?  Antonio Brown is isn't is isn't is a Raider? 

Is this really the NFL or am I still in a coma dreaming about a "Ballers" episode gone bad?

Agree with everything except when you brought politics into this. Brown's crazy antics have nothing to do with Democrats.  For all we know he is a Republican.
I agree. If this football thing doesn't work out for Brown there are some cabinet positions open. He might be a good fit. Secretary of Offense.

AB has only burned through one of the incompetent franchises.  He could still go to the Jets, Bengals and Redskins and blow up those locker rooms on his wild ride out of the NFL. 

I offered up my Josh Gordon for his Antonio in redraft. Was told I was drunk and it was a ridiculously low-ball offer. I think I'd have major buyer's remorse right now had he accepted it.

Serious answer. Ask yourself, “what’s the last guy on my roster I would miss if he tore his Achilles tomorrow and never played another down?”

Then offer the guy one below that.
Offered him Curtis Samuel and he said no. Not touching him if that’s a no. Samuel was my WR4/5 if it helps others. 

AngryNFLScoutVet‏ @angryscout2

Don’t know if anyone has said this but I’ll go ahead and confirm. Antonio Brown is bipolar. It’s documented and all 32 teams had it. That is an issue that I don’t ever want to deal with because sometimes players won’t take their meds. It’s clear he isn’t on his meds now.

7:48 AM - 7 Sep 2019

----------------------------------

I did not know he was bipolar and that his condition is/was known by every team.

This can be a very serious mental condition.

If you've known anyone who has had this and how they have acted out then it all makes sense.

This is sad.
If this is true, then this whole thing is just sad. BPD is really really difficult and wrecks so many lives. If that's what's going on, a lot of this actually makes way more sense. Why his behavior has changed so much, why the Steelers shipped him out, and possibly why the Raiders are handling things like they are. Rather than internal strife, the team could be doing their best to try to help Brown while also doing what they have to do to protect themselves at the same time. 

If someone is in a bad manic phase, it's almost impossible to get them to be rational. They think that everything is everybody else's fault and think that they will come out on top no matter what. If the Raiders know that he's mentally ill and that's what's causing this behavior, I could see trying to downplay everything as much as possible and trying to keep the door open for him while also doing what you have to do to protect themselves. So far, while they have fined him, they've done it quietly and been nothing but supportive publicly.

If he does have BPD and it is well known, I hope that Brandon Marshall reaches out to him. Marshall had his own struggles and very public meltdowns but had a great turnaround once he got treatment and stayed on his medications. He has been a great advocate for mental health issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true, then this whole thing is just sad. BPD is really really difficult and wrecks so many lives. If that's what's going on, a lot of this actually makes way more sense. Why his behavior has changed so much, why the Steelers shipped him out, and possibly why the Raiders are handling things like they are. Rather than internal strife, the team could be doing their best to try to help Brown while also doing what they have to do to protect themselves at the same time. 

If someone is in a bad manic phase, it's almost impossible to get them to be rational. They think that everything is everybody else's fault and think that they will come out on top no matter what. If the Raiders know that he's mentally ill and that's what's causing this behavior, I could see trying to downplay everything as much as possible and trying to keep the door open for him while also doing what you have to do to protect themselves. So far, while they have fined him, they've done it quietly and been nothing but supportive publicly.
You get it. 

Great reply with respectful discussion of a very-serious disease.  

Wonder if there is such a thing as being banned for “conduct detrimental to the league.”  Roger might have something to say.

Wonder if there is such a thing as being banned for “conduct detrimental to the league.”  Roger might have something to say.
There absolutely is, but I believe someone said the most ever issued was a 4-game suspension. 

That headline slash url is BS. 

They can not cut him AND keep him from playing for somebody else. 

They can send him the 5 day letter, but if he shows up they have to pay him or cut him. 

Typical PFT 
The point of the article is that the Raiders have rights to block AB’s earning potential all year IF he doesn’t show up.

By far AB’s financially best option right now is to show up Monday night ready to play. AB doesn’t seem like a guy who’s following any of his best options at the moment but I’m sure Rosenhaus will try hard to convince him to show up. If this circus seems bizarre now, imagine how it would feel unfolding live Monday night with an insanely pissed off AB on the Raiders sideline in uniform

The point of the article is that the Raiders have rights to block AB’s earning potential all year IF he doesn’t show up.

By far AB’s financially best option right now is to show up Monday night ready to play. AB doesn’t seem like a guy who’s following any of his best options at the moment but I’m sure Rosenhaus will try hard to convince him to show up. If this circus seems bizarre now, imagine how it would feel unfolding live Monday night with an insanely pissed off AB on the Raiders sideline in uniform
He demanded to be cut. 

He said he won’t play on a week-to-week contract.

he already tried to physically attack the GM, and that’s *before* he messed with his $30M

:doh:  

what a cluster. 

Not clear to him, it seems.  Maybe Rosenhaus convinced him an apology would wipe the slate clean.

Is this certain? Something Tom Pellisero said sounded like this is no longer the case for him.

In the mean time, I'm just annoyed, because I tuned in to Good Morning Football to get NFL news and they've been talking about just this for an hour. 
As a vested veteran your full season salary is guaranteed if active roster week 1. 

Anyone else think it's ironic that as the main story of the morning (on the NFL channel) is that AB is spiraling and the circus continues, that the crawler below and other big story of the day, is that Julio Jones, who could be the total opposite of AB, as far as personality, behavior, and person as a whole, is signing a bigger contract, (per year anyway)?

Good for you Julio!

Yeah, IF he doesn't show up.  That applies to every player in the league. 

Yet the URL is Raiders can cut AB AND stop him from playing for another team.  It's click bait BS. 

Offered him Curtis Samuel and he said no. Not touching him if that’s a no. Samuel was my WR4/5 if it helps others. 
Just got offered Curtis Samuel in Dynasty PPR, but don't think I can pull the trigger. Have crowd sourced the offer on Twitter and early poll results are about 75% prefer Samuel and/or have no interest in Brown at any price, with 20% preferring Brown.

Just got offered Curtis Samuel in Dynasty PPR, but don't think I can pull the trigger. Have crowd sourced the offer on Twitter and early poll results are about 75% prefer Samuel and/or have no interest in Brown at any price, with 20% preferring Brown.
What’s your handl? I’ll vote. ;)  

(I’m @luckydoghot ) 

Users who are viewing this thread