What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

I'm not getting into an argument about this in a fantasy football message board.  Just research what doctors say.
I don't need to look it up.  If I chose to start smoking weed or taking hard drugs,  I know it's not a mental illness at that point in time.  Otherwise, we could play the mental illness card every time someone does something they know isn't good for their body.   Once you're addicted and you can't stop, then I'll say you're mentally ill.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need to look it up.  If I chose to start smoking weed or taking hard drugs,  I know it's not a mental illness at that point in time.  Otherwise, we could play the mental illness card every time someone does something they know isn't good for their body.   Once you're addicted and you can't stop, then I'll say you're mentally ill.  
:goodposting:

Playing for Oakland must be that horrible.... AB never wanted to be a Raider... He got himself cut on purpose... Its like in the NBA when Jimmy Butler called out the T-Wolves and ended up going to a team he wanted to be on.... AB knows some other team is waiting to sign/pay him the min he is eligible at 4pm today

Collusion going on 

Playing for Oakland must be that horrible.... AB never wanted to be a Raider... He got himself cut on purpose... Its like in the NBA when Jimmy Butler called out the T-Wolves and ended up going to a team he wanted to be on.... AB knows some other team is waiting to sign/pay him the min he is eligible at 4pm today

Collusion going on 
0% AB is that intelligent 

Collusion going on 
Maybe he realized in practice that there is no way Carr is gonna be able to get him the ball.

Tangent:  does rosenhaus still get his cut of the full guarantee that he negotiated or does he lose that also?
Pretty sure agents only get paid when the player gets paid.

I can't imagine that the NFL would allow a scenario where Brown has to pay Rosenhaus $3~ million dollars -- especially if Brown ends up signing for less than that.

Does AB try to sign for a team that plays against Oakland this year ?  That make things interesting.

Collusion going on 
Honestly, I do think this is a possibility. One story I was reading recently had a quote from a Steelers teammate who said something like "He's trying to change the way players are perceived. But I think he's doing it in the wrong way." The NBA has had a LOT of players force their way out of situations in recent years, and supposedly AB and Jimmy are pretty good friends. I've seen social media posts of them hanging out together and Jimmy carries around a football with him everywhere (literally) that AB gave him.

This isn't the same situation where a team signs a player because of bad history/reputation. AB's negative behavior is at it's highest and doesn't seem to be going away. The Steelers pretty much warned everyone. The Raiders gave him the doubt and played zero games for him. If you think this guy helps your team you are a fool.

Collusion going on 
So he is taking the minimum amount instead of $30 mil and that is him being smart?

I believe Jets have the cap space to fit AB in. Would I want him? As much of a drama queen as he is, I think I would give this a shot. Jet offense is going to be much improved anyways this season but to have AB reunited with LBell, Sam throwing the rock to him  and all of other shiny new toys like Crowder and Herndon still to come back after the week 4 bye. ####...Jets would be downright lethal and scary to play against. They might actually win alot of those 31-28 games they are going to get into alot this year seeing the secondary is going to get torched on a weekly basis something fierce.

Hey I may be in the minority about this but I truly believe the Jets led by Joe Douglass/Gase and GWilliams would be in much better position than under a Mike Mac/Bowles for instance to make a move like this work. And if somehow it doesn't work out Jets cut him as there would be contingencies obviously in any contract AB signed. This season is all about Sam taking the next step anyways as next year after Douglass has had an offseason, the UFA period, a draft to prepare for, is when Jets will be much better primed for a playoff run. This year is gravy and so I don't see all to much risk. 

Bottom line is there is enough veteran leadership in the Jet locker room for AB to know he isn't going to be getting away with #### and he will be held accountable? I think there is. Heck Adams tho just 23 wouldn't take #### from AB and would be in his face if AB tried to pull antics.

I don't see too much downside at all and there is plenty of reward if AB kept his nose clean. So yeah I'd be in on Douglass listening to what Rosenhaus has to say. 

A solid post. 

Worth noting that a lot of people with undiagnosed mental illness self-medicate with drugs & alcohol (generally to poor results)

Not saying that’s related to AB, just commenting on your post in a vacuum. 

As a 49er fan, I wouldn’t mind them taking a chance. 

Which concerns me about my own mental health. 
As an Eagles fan, I was always against TO’s antics when he wanted a new contract and I sided with the Eagles FO.

But looking back, they should’ve just paid the guy. Sure he was a clown, but an insanely talented one who helped us win games.

And in the end, as a fan that’s all you really want. To win.

TWO TEAMS IN 3MONTHS HAVE "CUT" HIM. 

Arguably the best WR of the last 10yrs, still in his prime. 

Absolutely unprecedented. I doubt there are more than 2-3 teams seriously mulling this, and they're likely loser franchises

All he had to do is make it to week 1 and the 30M was his.  He could then act up all he wants and still have the money.  This shows how stupid he is.  I don't think I've ever read about anyone being this stupid.  
I think the Raiders notified him that he had forfeited his the 30m when they sent him his newest fine.

I can’t see the Niners signing up for that headache. Flashbacks of TO. 

Pats have Gordon already - do they really need AB?  Does brainiac wanna deal with that nonsense? 

Bengals aren’t exactly a “win now” team.

Seattle wouldn’t be a bad fit, but again - that’s a run-first offense and a coach who demands 1000% buy-in. Not a lot of room for a head-case. 

Cards? I honestly don’t know enough about the coach or team to comment from an educated standpoint. I can’t imagine they’d want a rookie QB around that head-case. 

I think the Raiders notified him that he had forfeited his the 30m when they sent him his newest fine.
True, but if he was smart, which he isn't, all he had to do was keep it together to week 1 and have his 30M.  How can anyone be that dumb?  Especially because that was the reason he wanted out of Pittsburgh, or was it really?

The more I think about the Jimmy Butler connection, the more I wonder if there's something there.

Pretty similar situations, really. Top tier talents that are known as "odd" (Jimmy with his minivan with no rear view window, or his impossible to miss love of country music, for example) and with rumors (or worse) of locker room problems. Huge egos, think they're the best in the game and that they get zero respect. That no one works harder than them. 

End up getting traded from their first team to a struggling team that wasn't at all on the top of their list and eventually explode in a very public, media driven manner, essentially forcing the team to trade you (or in the non-guaranteed contact NFL world, dump you outright). Jimmy had to finagle his way to a place of his choosing by trade because of how NBA contracts work, but AB got to skip directly to the shopping around phase.

Nothing will surprise me.  But it is seems AB has painted himself into a corner here.  Logical teams won't want to pay AB a lot of guaranteed money and AB apparently won t play without some guaranteed scratch.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think he gets signed fairly quickly or he doesn't get picked up until a team has a major injury to a receiver.

That being said, how do you predict an insane situation?

All he had to do is make it to week 1 and the 30M was his.  He could then act up all he wants and still have the money.  This shows how stupid he is.  I don't think I've ever read about anyone being this stupid.  
That’s what I can’t get past. 

Show up. Wear a helmet. Make it to 4:00 today. 

Thats it. $30M

then go be crazy AF. Not making light of his insanity, but it’s better to be stinking rich & crazy than just crazy. 

That being said, how do you predict an insane situation?
With an even more insane prediction

AB goes on to purchase a stake in the Miami Dolphins. He creates a hit single. Goes on to rename the dolphins to the Tropics. Anoints himself as head coach and plays until hes 56

True, but if he was smart, which he isn't, all he had to do was keep it together to week 1 and have his 30M.  How can anyone be that dumb?  Especially because that was the reason he wanted out of Pittsburgh, or was it really?
24 hours. He needed 24 hours. 

He couldn’t keep it together for 24 hours for $30M. 

It amazing. 

Thats it. $30M

then go be crazy AF. Not making light of his insanity, but it’s better to be stinking rich & crazy than just crazy. 
This is where I think we take a step back. AB couldn't control himself. Even if he wanted to. 

Football should be the last thing on his to do list. Guy needs help. 

Thats it. $30M

AB was told he was not receiving any of his signing bonus money. He would have gotten his 2019 salary guaranteed at 4:00, but his nearly $30 million in bonus money was yanked by the team. 

Users who are viewing this thread