What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

They also said on the telecast that Coach Tomlin doesnt allow anyone who uses crutches on the sideline. So thats why Ben ditched them. But he does seem to heal quick.
Right, but if the doctors didn't think he should be wandering around the sideline without crutches, they wouldn't have let him.

I think Ben comes back sooner than most think. The guy is a beast. And that is one "measurable" that is hard to calculate like everybody loves to try and do these days. He just can't be kept down. And he's proved it over and over again.

I would go after Antonio, and Ben for that matter, hard right now.

The most surprising thing about this thread is that it is only 5 pages long when complete unknowns and unprovens have 10+.

Did we sleep on this guy?

They also said on the telecast that Coach Tomlin doesnt allow anyone who uses crutches on the sideline. So thats why Ben ditched them. But he does seem to heal quick.
Right, but if the doctors didn't think he should be wandering around the sideline without crutches, they wouldn't have let him.
That isn't true. They said on the telecast that he was doing it against doctors orders because he wanted to be there.

I was originally in the camp that Brown could still be pretty productive even without Big Ben. But watching the game last night, here's what scares me the most about Vick...

When he is pressured, 1 of 2 things happens. Either he takes a horrible sack (and the fumbles that usually go along with that will come)... or he tucks it up and runs for whatever yards he can get. He seems to have ZERO ability to reset himself and throw a ball downfield or hit an open receiver while scrambling. How many of Brown's receptions come when Big Ben avoids a sack and launches a strike to AB after he improvises his pattern and gets himself open? If the coaches don't design plays to get Brown the ball in space, AB owners are all in trouble. Because if its not a designed pass to Brown, Vick will NOT find him.

The most surprising thing about this thread is that it is only 5 pages long when complete unknowns and unprovens have 10+.

Did we sleep on this guy?
Nothing to really talk about on him... He is awesome, that is about it.

Only when there is panic do the threads grow, like this one prob will until Ben is back. Just so happy it is only an MCL sprain and not worse.

Vick had some nice broken plays in Philly with DJax during his time here. Maybe with more practice reps he can get there with Brown too.

Im pretty sure there was another Brown post.. This is just the one that "took off"

Id like too see Ben back soon.. They have pure chemistry.

But Vick knocked the rust off, and looks serviceable..

Internet forums were made for arguing, and there's nothing to argue about here. Everyone agrees that Antonio Brown is really good.If you want lots of replies, just say that Brown sucks. Hundreds of people will take you seriously and jump at the chance to prove someone wrong on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
One issue that no one is talking about here is the fact that Vick only had a couple days with the offense. They were off on Monday to recover from the game on Sunday then light workouts on Tuesday, full practices on Wed then walk throughs on Thursday. NOW he has over a week to work with the team and his WR's.

One issue that no one is talking about here is the fact that Vick only had a couple days with the offense. They were off on Monday to recover from the game on Sunday then light workouts on Tuesday, full practices on Wed then walk throughs on Thursday. NOW he has over a week to work with the team and his WR's.
Regardless of how much practicing he does, his accuracy and decision making will always suck. We have years of evidence for that. With that said, I think Brown will still get his share of targets and will be fine with Vick. He won't be an absolute super stud but he'll still be low end WR 1 or high end WR 2 (especially in PPR).

Regardless of how much practicing he does, his accuracy and decision making will always suck. We have years of evidence for that. With that said, I think Brown will still get his share of targets and will be fine with Vick. He won't be an absolute super stud but he'll still be low end WR 1 or high end WR 2 (especially in PPR).
Due to the lack of time with the starters, the game plan was to rely on Bell early and often. They limited his passing plays a great deal. One has to think that they will open it up some more as he gets more comfortable. Bell is a stud, but eventually they will have to throw more as D's dare him to beat them in the air. Bell will get slowed down eventually...

And while we have years of bad decision making, we also have years of him being a very productive fantasy QB. Bad decision making is more a problem for Pittsburgh than it is for fantasy owners.

I'm not even sure of this at this point, obviously I hope so... Even so, such a big downgrade for the guy who was guaranteed to be either 1A or 1B week in and week out.

Due to the lack of time with the starters, the game plan was to rely on Bell early and often. They limited his passing plays a great deal. One has to think that they will open it up some more as he gets more comfortable. Bell is a stud, but eventually they will have to throw more as D's dare him to beat them in the air. Bell will get slowed down eventually...

And while we have years of bad decision making, we also have years of him being a very productive fantasy QB. Bad decision making is more a problem for Pittsburgh than it is for fantasy owners.
You take that back!! :angry:

I'm finding it tough to get a good read on Brown right now. I realize conventional thinking is Vick will kill him but he should've had 17 points in PPR in the first half last week and could've finished around 20 even with a brutal second half. If he keeps getting TD chances I can't believe he'll drop every one.

I know this sounds crazy but you might be able to buy low on Brown. If you can put up with another two weeks of crap, you might be able to take advantage of a desperate owner.

Vick is just killing Brown's value. Didn't even target AB in the 2nd half until the last drive.

Antonio had to be pissed that his 5/50 streak was snapped. Far from elite with Vick on the field, unfortunately.

I know this sounds crazy but you might be able to buy low on Brown. If you can put up with another two weeks of crap, you might be able to take advantage of a desperate owner.
If Vick starts again in Week 6 I would imagine there are going to be a lot of frustrated owners after next Sunday if Brown's numbers stink again vs. Peterson.

His value takes a huge hit. #1 fantasy WR to a low-end WR1
Whoa now, lets not get carried away. No longer the absolute #1 WR in fantasy but the guy's schtick is that he gets the ball despite coverage and all obstacles in his way. Vick isn't Ben but he's got a good enough arm to get it close to AB, and that's all he needs really
I don't think a drop off to low end WR1 is unrealistic at all. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a 20-30% drop off in production with Vick slinging him the rock.
I'll happily take a 20% drop in production for 6 weeks. Give me 8/100/.6 until Ben gets back
I'll happily take a 50% drop off of Big Ben production, #### you Mike Vick, just #### you!!!

This guy is killing us and our awesome weapon.

Vick is just killing Brown's value. Didn't even target AB in the 2nd half until the last drive.

Antonio had to be pissed that his 5/50 streak was snapped. Far from elite with Vick on the field, unfortunately.
How's it feel?

- signed, Calvin Johnson owner.

How's it feel?

Calvin's topped 11.5 points in PPR each of the last two weeks. Brown owners would kill for that right now
but there's at least a clear reason as to why Brown's numbers are down and there's hope for a return to normalcy once Roth is back. Calvin is just part of a dumpster fire it seems with no real reason to expect a big jump in production. If I were a Calvin owner I'd use these two weeks to try and buy Brown. Doubt it will work but you never know...

How's it feel?

Calvin's topped 11.5 points in PPR each of the last two weeks. Brown owners would kill for that right now
Calvin's having his worst season since Mike Martz. 11 stinking points out of a top 5 WR with no end in sight. 1/2 that in non ppr or 1/2 ppr.

I agree Brown's long-term outlook for this season is much better than Calvin's. Just saying as bad as Calvin's production has been the last two weeks it looks like Nirvana for Brown owners at the moment.

In the league I don't have him, just offered Calvin and Lamar Miller for him.

ETA: It was rejected in under 2 minutes. Wow, some people need lives.

I'd probably pass on that too. Once Ben comes back he's back to being a top three overall and probably the #1 WR with Julio having hamstring issues. If the person you were trading with has a reasonable shot at the playoffs then they're gonna want to keep Brown

I'd probably pass on that too. Once Ben comes back he's back to being a top three overall and probably the #1 WR with Julio having hamstring issues. If the person you were trading with has a reasonable shot at the playoffs then they're gonna want to keep Brown
A somewhat fair offer, but if the situation was reversed, I'd pass too.

I made the offer to a desperate team that has lost 3 straight.

:lmao:

You sound offended that you were rejected, and rejected so quickly.

I own Brown in two leagues, and I would hit the reject button as soon as the trade request came across email, which would beat the orginal time of less than 2 minutes ...

It amazes me that Pittsburgh isn't making any kind of effort to get Brown involved in the game plan. No bubble screens, quick slants... nothing.

And Vick is just awful. He has zero vision surveying the field. When M. Bryant comes back I suspect Brown will be targeted even less... if that's possible.

I'm actually considering benching him until Big Ben comes back. It's gotten that ugly.

It amazes me that Pittsburgh isn't making any kind of effort to get Brown involved in the game plan. No bubble screens, quick slants... nothing.
Crossing route goes for 39 on his first catch so you'd think they would've tried that 7-8 more times at least. Instead it was a couple and they flat-out ignored him most of the second half. As bad as Vick is (and he truly does stink) the play-calling didn't help Brown out at all either. He should be able to walk onto any field with any QB and catch 5-6 passes on routes like you described. I think his production last night is as much on Haley as it is Vick.

Nobody's trading Brown for Calvin or anything similar. Anyone who owns Brown has enough sense to know what they have and it is highly unlikely that in week 6 and 7, any team is so DESPERATE that they can't live with 8-12 points for two more weeks, especially knowing that once Ben returns, Brown is the steadiest thing in the game.

Even if a good team was 0-5 without Brown and thinking they have to have every single week to make the playoffs, they are probably also thinking that Brown is their only shot and that Brown could conceivably still have a nice game without Ben. It's basically the thought process of a guy sitting there saying "Hmm..I'm 0-5 and can't afford to lose anymore. What makes my team better? I got it. I'll trade away a top 3 player in the league for cents on the dollar."

If you're sniffing owners for Brown in redraft you're wasting time. If you're sniffing owners for Brown in dynasty, you need a job and a significant other. If you DO by some chance get somebody to buy the reasoning being tossed around in here all day, you need a better league.

Dr. David Chao (@profootballdoc on Twitter) thinks there's a chance Roethlisberger might play this week. That sounds like a longshot but if there's a chance that would seem to mean Ben is close to returning. So maybe Week 7 or Week 8. In any event, Brown owners just gotta hang in there a bit longer and then they'll soon get the No. 1 WR in fantasy back. It really sucks now but it's a short-term problem that hopefully won't last much longer.

Dr. David Chao (@profootballdoc on Twitter) thinks there's a chance Roethlisberger might play this week. That sounds like a longshot but if there's a chance that would seem to mean Ben is close to returning. So maybe Week 7 or Week 8. In any event, Brown owners just gotta hang in there a bit longer and then they'll soon get the No. 1 WR in fantasy back. It really sucks now but it's a short-term problem that hopefully won't last much longer.
I knew Roethlisberger was a tough SOB but that's crazy if it's true. He was on crutches like a week ago.

Would love to see it. Brace or no brace, the Berger hopping around on one leg would still hit Brown for 8 completions.

Ben on his knees unable to move at all in the pocket is a better QB option than Vick.

ETA - Chao has said consistently he believes the injury is a 2-3 week deal and Ben should be back soon.

If Vick starts again in Week 6 I would imagine there are going to be a lot of frustrated owners after next Sunday if Brown's numbers stink again vs. Peterson.
If you want to buy low on Brown you probably need to do it now. The closer Ben gets to returning the more likely Brown's owners just ride it out.

Users who are viewing this thread