What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

I'm just here to collect my cookie :)

Seriously, though, what's the NFL to do?  With the situations with high profile players the past few years it just shows that, with a little patience,  players CAN control their own destiny.  Melvin Gordon probably found some resolve in all this. 

Personally, I am kind of torn on this type of thing because these guys sign contracts...they owe their success to the teams that pay them well (compared to "normal people" out there working, even small athlete salaries beat a day in the real world) so for them to be able to make a mockery of the rules and drag the media in several directions, it just seems cheap. I mean, I saw AB's feet. I know he was in bad shape.  I heard his coach defend it and say it wasn't a joking matter.  But now, I kind of think it was pre-meditated and was done on purpose to avoid practice and do all these helmet and feet and fine things until he ultimately ended up exactly where he said he wanted to be on the team that expressed interest in him a while back. 
lulz  Its the Melvins who make this believable 

If the universe is fair.. I better stop. Because I am wishing the worst on this piece of crap. Karma is coming, what a horrible person he is.
How well do you know the guy?  Close friend?  Acquaintance?  Friend of a friends cousin?

Or are you making this call via a television set and twitter?

Cant wait to hear what AB says after the Pats assign him a full time babysitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what?  Bump Michel WAY UP.  Imagine the Pats putting AB, Edelman and Gordon out there with Sony and Develin, forcing teams into nickel (or dime) and running the ball against a small front.  

Deep down, the Steelers HAD to know that something like this was always a potential outcome.
I agree.  Maybe it says something that they were still willing to get rid of him??

I mean, this looks like manna from the heavens on an already-awesome team (defending SB champ gets arguably the best WR and oh my goodness, what if Josh Gordon keeps his head together??) BUT...this guy could be a mess that isn't fixable. The solace in it is Hoodie will cut that nonsense in a New England minute and be done with it and I have to think if it doesn't work in NE, then other teams aren't going to be quick to add him.  

How many believe the Patriots were negotiating before AB was actually available?
Meh.  He wouldn't be doing what he did to go to BUF, MIA or NYG.

IF you're AB, you're looking for attention, to blow up twitter, have a chance to win a Super Bowl and stick it to PIT.  NE is a no-brainer.

IF you're NE, you're looking for elite talent, another Super Bowl, to keep elite talent away from a rival and you feel that your culture and locker room leaders are capable of riding herd on AB.  AB is a no-brainer.

I'm sure it didn't take but three or four quick phone calls.  

Last edited by a moderator:
ugh, pretty sure the worst part of this whole AB situation is having all of these Boston/New England fans come out of nowhere now talking smack. have 6 automatic wins a year, congrats

James White might not get the volume he got last year ... but he’ll be covered by ILBs pretty much all the time now. Still, only one football.

For what?  To keep him from posting on social media?  He's never been in trouble off the field just a selfish dude.
Exactly. He is a douce.....but never has been trouble at all off the field. 

It is getting so blown out of proportion. The NFL is a business. And the business is winning. Brown will help the Patriots win. 

I get it...his act is tired. But people are flipping out about a guy who is just not likable and acting like he is some career criminal. There are a bunch of guys in the league....who should not be in the league. Brown is not one of them.

Meh.  He wouldn't be doing what he did to go to BUF, MIA or NYG.

IF you're AB, you're looking for attention, to blow up twitter, have a chance to win a Super Bowl and stick it to PIT.  NE is a no-brainer.

IF you're NE, you're looking for elite talent, another Super Bowl, to keep elite talent away from a rival and you feel that your culture and locker room leaders are capable of riding herd on AB.  AB is a no-brainer.
all true, but still is pretty shady. this is great for AB, sucks for the Pats other players who will see stats drop and the guy who gets cut for AB's spot. Wouldn't be surprised if this is brought up in the next round of negotiations with the players union and the league

So there you go. AB left 5 M on the table because he couldn't be a decent teammate. And only 9 M of this is guaranteed where if he had played week 1 with Raiders 30 M was guaranteed. 
No.  Regardless of when they fine/suspend him, the moment they do there is no more guaranteed money and I'm not sure his 2019 pay would have been for being on the roster on week 1 either, I think that might be what the "termination pay" blurb meant.

Somebody wrote that this makes Brady a top 5 FF QB and makes Brown the #1 FF WR. I disagree with both of these takes. 
I can see the brady angle.  I mean, he's always capable of top level ff numbers, it is just they seem to play how they need to play and not worry about it and its not always they need a 350/3 game from him.  But, with that being said, we have certainly seen TB surgically dismember teams when he has had the weapons so, yeah...

AB being #1 overall, doubt it but mainly because there are some great WRs out there that will actually be playing on teams that need to keep the pedal mashed to the floor to win/catch up in games whereas the Pats will get up on teams and then bludgeon them (unless, of course, they go all 2009 on us and just say "screw it!  We aRE GOING TO HANG 50 ON EVERYONE, EVERY WEEK!)

Users who are viewing this thread