Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

WR Antonio Brown, TB - 9.22.21 Placed on the COVID-19 list

2 minutes ago, Shutout said:

I'm just here to collect my cookie :)

Seriously, though, what's the NFL to do?  With the situations with high profile players the past few years it just shows that, with a little patience,  players CAN control their own destiny.  Melvin Gordon probably found some resolve in all this. 

Personally, I am kind of torn on this type of thing because these guys sign contracts...they owe their success to the teams that pay them well (compared to "normal people" out there working, even small athlete salaries beat a day in the real world) so for them to be able to make a mockery of the rules and drag the media in several directions, it just seems cheap. I mean, I saw AB's feet. I know he was in bad shape.  I heard his coach defend it and say it wasn't a joking matter.  But now, I kind of think it was pre-meditated and was done on purpose to avoid practice and do all these helmet and feet and fine things until he ultimately ended up exactly where he said he wanted to be on the team that expressed interest in him a while back. 

lulz  Its the Melvins who make this believable 

4 minutes ago, irish eyes said:

If the universe is fair.. I better stop. Because I am wishing the worst on this piece of crap. Karma is coming, what a horrible person he is.

How well do you know the guy?  Close friend?  Acquaintance?  Friend of a friends cousin?

Or are you making this call via a television set and twitter?

1 minute ago, az_prof said:

I think MOss and Carter in 98 were better.

Moss: 1313 yards and 17 TDs

Carter: 1011 and 12 Tds

in 99

Moss 80/1413/11

Carter 90/1241/13

Oh yeah.....Cunningham reborn in 98. And Culpepper in 99. Great years man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tricky92 said:

I hate the Pats and I think this is great. I mean, it's fantasy football... who doesn't love drama?

Yes sir. Can’t stand the Pat’s. But being a Brown owner this is great.

And....you gotta love the entertainment this has been. ESPN loving all this too. NFL Network will be lit up as well. Great stuff.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Deep down, the Steelers HAD to know that something like this was always a potential outcome.

I agree.  Maybe it says something that they were still willing to get rid of him??

I mean, this looks like manna from the heavens on an already-awesome team (defending SB champ gets arguably the best WR and oh my goodness, what if Josh Gordon keeps his head together??) BUT...this guy could be a mess that isn't fixable. The solace in it is Hoodie will cut that nonsense in a New England minute and be done with it and I have to think if it doesn't work in NE, then other teams aren't going to be quick to add him.  

53 minutes ago, Dismattle said:

How many believe the Patriots were negotiating before AB was actually available?

Meh.  He wouldn't be doing what he did to go to BUF, MIA or NYG.

IF you're AB, you're looking for attention, to blow up twitter, have a chance to win a Super Bowl and stick it to PIT.  NE is a no-brainer.

IF you're NE, you're looking for elite talent, another Super Bowl, to keep elite talent away from a rival and you feel that your culture and locker room leaders are capable of riding herd on AB.  AB is a no-brainer.

I'm sure it didn't take but three or four quick phone calls.  

Edited by Thunderlips

Just now, ICON211 said:

For what?  To keep him from posting on social media?  He's never been in trouble off the field just a selfish dude.

Exactly. He is a douce.....but never has been trouble at all off the field. 

It is getting so blown out of proportion. The NFL is a business. And the business is winning. Brown will help the Patriots win. 

I get it...his act is tired. But people are flipping out about a guy who is just not likable and acting like he is some career criminal. There are a bunch of guys in the league....who should not be in the league. Brown is not one of them.

• Like 2

Just now, Thunderlips said:

Meh.  He wouldn't be doing what he did to go to BUF, MIA or NYG.

IF you're AB, you're looking for attention, to blow up twitter, have a chance to win a Super Bowl and stick it to PIT.  NE is a no-brainer.

IF you're NE, you're looking for elite talent, another Super Bowl, to keep elite talent away from a rival and you feel that your culture and locker room leaders are capable of riding herd on AB.  AB is a no-brainer.

all true, but still is pretty shady. this is great for AB, sucks for the Pats other players who will see stats drop and the guy who gets cut for AB's spot. Wouldn't be surprised if this is brought up in the next round of negotiations with the players union and the league

Just now, Thunderlips said:

Count me as one who thinks he'll be the epitome of a model player this year. 

Agreed. And I’m a lifelong Steelers fan, detest New England, but I don’t agree with @irish eyes. Browns a loudmouth but he’s a great player. I bear no ill will. I want the Pats to lose every game but I wanted that before he got there. I wish him well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Count me as one who thinks he'll be the epitome of a model player this year. 

Yup...he's going to go the Jon Jones route...

"I just want to thank Jesus, Jon Gruden, and the entire Steelers organization for giving me a chance"

Edited by SpruceGoose
  • Laughing 1

43 minutes ago, az_prof said:

So there you go. AB left 5 M on the table because he couldn't be a decent teammate. And only 9 M of this is guaranteed where if he had played week 1 with Raiders 30 M was guaranteed. 

No.  Regardless of when they fine/suspend him, the moment they do there is no more guaranteed money and I'm not sure his 2019 pay would have been for being on the roster on week 1 either, I think that might be what the "termination pay" blurb meant.

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Somebody wrote that this makes Brady a top 5 FF QB and makes Brown the #1 FF WR. I disagree with both of these takes. 

I can see the brady angle.  I mean, he's always capable of top level ff numbers, it is just they seem to play how they need to play and not worry about it and its not always they need a 350/3 game from him.  But, with that being said, we have certainly seen TB surgically dismember teams when he has had the weapons so, yeah...

AB being #1 overall, doubt it but mainly because there are some great WRs out there that will actually be playing on teams that need to keep the pedal mashed to the floor to win/catch up in games whereas the Pats will get up on teams and then bludgeon them (unless, of course, they go all 2009 on us and just say "screw it!  We aRE GOING TO HANG 50 ON EVERYONE, EVERY WEEK!)

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Edelman, Gordon & Brown on one WR squad.... in fantasy that would get a ‘heh what league do you play in anyway’ response:

LOL..yeah...8 team league with grandparents kind of deal is what the Pats are doing to the rest of the NFL (and have been for about 20 years now). 

• Like 1

• Joe Bryant changed the title to WR Antonio Brown, TB - 9.22.21 Placed on the COVID-19 list