What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

The QB upgrade is massive. He is clearly going to be the number 1 target. He may not get force fed like he would have in Oakland but the quality of target and overall effeciency will more than make up for it. New England's offensive line is much better.  Brown is clearly a top 9 WR with top 5 upside at this point. 
Maybe.

Or maybe they play patriots football, spread the ball around, AB pouts and starts pissing people off in the building. He becomes a locker room cancer and never sees another target. 

It’s all on the realm of possibility. 

PFF ranked Brady as their #1 QB for 2019. Guys suggesting he can’t throw more than eight feet are kidding themselves. 
No, they're not. They took his deep ball accuracy and quantified it at #22. Don't Pats homer this thread up. He stinks with the deep pass and never throws it anymore. Brown's a route runner anyway and it won't matter. 

I was just kidding. Sorry...
No need to apologize.

Gronk has been available the whole offseason. It's a 35-man roster and he's been floating around the top of my, "Why Not," list. Hell, I'm more than happy to make a speculative pick up considering Andrew Luck was my QB1 on the same team. Gronk coming back this season is a way better bet than Luck coming back at all.

:banned:

No, they're not. They took his deep ball accuracy and quantified it at #22. Don't Pats homer this thread up. He stinks with the deep pass and never throws it anymore. Brown's a route runner anyway and it won't matter. 
We’ll see. If Brady has time his deep ball is fine. If he is under duress his see ball is meh. His deep ball passer rating was first or second in the league in 2016 and 2017. Maybe he dropped off some last year, but I certainly give him time for deep throws. 

We’ll see. If Brady has time his deep ball is fine. If he is under duress his see ball is meh. His deep ball passer rating was first or second in the league in 2016 and 2017. Maybe he dropped off some last year, but I certainly give him time for deep throws. 
Yes, I agree, but you saying that's nuts when the stat was right there was the basis of my comment. And I highly doubt his deep ball was first or second in 2017. But I don't have a scrip to PFF, so I can't check.

I'm just mad I own Gordon in a league I really botched my draft in and now can't go back and take it over or take it back. I've been screwed fantasy-wise, this entire offseason. First, Damien WIlliams. Now this and Gordon. Suxor.

:shrugs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe.

Or maybe they play patriots football, spread the ball around, AB pouts and starts pissing people off in the building. He becomes a locker room cancer and never sees another target. 

It’s all on the realm of possibility. 
I was talking from a pure football view of things. New England hasn't had a talent like this since Moss. They will utilize their new toy. 

I agree with you regarding the possibility of Brown screwing this up. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets released at some point. It feels too good to be true from a Brown owners perspective. 

Having taken a breath, I would say I'm shocked by the agreement to sign on Monday.

It will be interesting to see what protection is put into the contractual language.

Edelman, Harry and DT are all dinged up to varying degrees.  Gordon is well-liked but unreliable.  The signing makes sense from an arbitrage standpoint, pending the aforementioned possible contract language hurdle.

Do you suppose the Chiefs tampered with LeSean McCoy?

:football:

Having taken a breath, I would say I'm shocked by the agreement to sign on Monday.

It will be interesting to see what protection is put into the contractual language.

Edelman, Harry and DT are all dinged up to varying degrees.  Gordon is well-liked but unreliable.  The signing makes sense from an arbitrage standpoint, pending the aforementioned possible contract language hurdle.

Do you suppose the Chiefs tampered with LeSean McCoy?

:football:
How could the Chiefs have tampered with LeSean? He got cut without any sort of drama and to a bit of no surprise and rancor to those who followed the situation. Two totally situations here. 

I was talking from a pure football view of things. New England hasn't had a talent like this since Moss. They will utilize their new toy. 

I agree with you regarding the possibility of Brown screwing this up. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets released at some point. It feels too good to be true from a Brown owners perspective. 
I think reality will be somewhere in the middle. 

AB has certainly tarnished his legacy with these shenanigans regardless of his production this year.

this was all such a clown show, and it feels like he orchestrated it first to get out of PIT & then to get out of OAK.

I’m sure he’ll be top 15 this year. Top 10 is possible but a IMO a bit of a long shot given Pats style of football. 

I rarely root for a player to fail, but I’ll make an exception with AB. This was just such a ##### move. 

1) i doubt he was crazier than Hernandez and you never saw it interfere with the play until he actually got charged.  think about it, they said he was a WEIRD dude and they didn't even know he had killed a man and was still showing up to work and saying yes sir to Brady and Hoodie.

2) I am certain this was an act to get out of Oakland.
Pretty brilliant to start that act while still in Pittsburgh last year. And to then act super excited to be in Oakland talking about how much he was going to prove the doubters/haters wrong. 

I absolutely hate this as a Bills fan. But I think anyone that is just assuming that this will be a match made in heaven is putting their head in the sand a bit.

Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh despite Tomlin being a very player friendly coach and playing in an offense that threw the ball a million times a game with a QB that practically forcefed it to his favorite receiver often. And where he was allowed to be all about himself as much as he wanted (and sulked and pouted when teammates got the ball or were praised instead of him).

But Brown nixed a trade to the Bills and ended up signing a huge deal with the Raiders and Jon Gruden (another very player friendly coach). Everyone assumed Brown would go out and tear it up to show up the Steelers. But then Brown managed to get frostbite on his feet and tusseled with the NFL; leaving the Raiders and threatening to retire over his helmet. It turned into all sorts of ridiculousness and suddenly it boiled over this week.

So now he signs another nice big one year deal and everyone assumes that everything will be great and AB will certainly be on his best behavior to show up the Raiders and Steelers THIS time despite the Patriots having a very no non-sense coach and a team that doesn't give a crap about personal success. 

AB is still the guy that went crazy and threw furniture off a 14th story balcony. He's still the guy that pouted when JuJu would catch a TD instead of him. He's still the guy that was posting all sorts of crazy social media stuff right before or after games and who was playing on his phone during team meetings. He's still the guy that got into bizarre spats with his own team's organization on social media. He's still the guy that went into a cryo chamber in his bare feet and got frostbite. He's still the guy that flipped out and threatened to retire over a helmet.

Yeah, the Patriots have had some success in reclamation projects, but if AB really truly has the personality/mental issues that he has seemed to have over the last 2 years, it's just as likely that he creates way more headaches and problems in NE than he does production on the field 

Pretty brilliant to start that act while still in Pittsburgh last year. And to then act super excited to be in Oakland talking about how much he was going to prove the doubters/haters wrong. 

I absolutely hate this as a Bills fan. But I think anyone that is just assuming that this will be a match made in heaven is putting their head in the sand a bit.

Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh despite Tomlin being a very player friendly coach and playing in an offense that threw the ball a million times a game with a QB that practically forcefed it to his favorite receiver often. And where he was allowed to be all about himself as much as he wanted (and sulked and pouted when teammates got the ball or were praised instead of him).

But Brown nixed a trade to the Bills and ended up signing a huge deal with the Raiders and Jon Gruden (another very player friendly coach). Everyone assumed Brown would go out and tear it up to show up the Steelers. But then Brown managed to get frostbite on his feet and tusseled with the NFL; leaving the Raiders and threatening to retire over his helmet. It turned into all sorts of ridiculousness and suddenly it boiled over this week.

So now he signs another nice big one year deal and everyone assumes that everything will be great and AB will certainly be on his best behavior to show up the Raiders and Steelers THIS time despite the Patriots having a very no non-sense coach and a team that doesn't give a crap about personal success. 

AB is still the guy that went crazy and threw furniture off a 14th story balcony. He's still the guy that pouted when JuJu would catch a TD instead of him. He's still the guy that was posting all sorts of crazy social media stuff right before or after games and who was playing on his phone during team meetings. He's still the guy that got into bizarre spats with his own team's organization on social media. He's still the guy that went into a cryo chamber in his bare feet and got frostbite. He's still the guy that flipped out and threatened to retire over a helmet.

Yeah, the Patriots have had some success in reclamation projects, but if AB really truly has the personality/mental issues that he has seemed to have over the last 2 years, it's just as likely that he creates way more headaches and problems in NE than he does production on the field 
You've spent way too much time spouting common sense like this into a medium and ether that doesn't respect it enough. Time to stop. 

AB will lead them in everything and to a title unfettered. 

Deamryius should have looked out for number one and signed with Denver for more money. Knew the Pats would do exactly what they did if the chance came along. This leave fantasy owners in a lurch, too. 

I think reality will be somewhere in the middle. 

AB has certainly tarnished his legacy with these shenanigans regardless of his production this year.

this was all such a clown show, and it feels like he orchestrated it first to get out of PIT & then to get out of OAK.

I’m sure he’ll be top 15 this year. Top 10 is possible but a IMO a bit of a long shot given Pats style of football. 

I rarely root for a player to fail, but I’ll make an exception with AB. This was just such a ##### move. 
I seriously think he showed up to Raider camp and realized that Carr wasn't going to be able to get him the ball. I wouldn't doubt if Drew made a few calls to see what interest there was for him and where.

I'd say the over/under is a top 10 finish. I would confidently take the under assuming he actually plays.

I mean how does a guy act like he's auditioning for the Real Housewives of Oakland and then leverage that table flipping drama to sign with the Patriots the day he's released. This is some next level tampering. 

I would be happy with either, or both, in Minnesota.
Gordon needs a whole lof of maintenance. It's a harder story and I thought New England might have a better bead on it that most thought, but now I'm not so sure. He might be caught in a numbers game in NE. 

I have no love lost for the Raiders as a Bronco fan, but I feel this type of situation needs to be addressed by the NFL. The Raiders did the "right thing" here and in the end, they pay for it by one of their division opponents benefiting from it. There is no way a player, who is under contract, should be allowed to act out to the point he is released and then benefit from it. AB threatened physical harm to the GM--don't forget that. He then embarrassed his coach on social media. There is no way that should be rewarded. I don't think he should be get the perma-ban from the NFL, but there needs to be some kind of 6-8 game suspension period initiated by the league for players who are released because of their conduct. 

What stops any other player in the league from doing this? Hmm, my team is struggling this year and I want a title--I will go punch my coach, get my contact voided and then get signed by a contender. This is a dangerous path to go down if the NFL doesn't address this. 

I have no love lost for the Raiders as a Bronco fan, but I feel this type of situation needs to be addressed by the NFL. The Raiders did the "right thing" here and in the end, they pay for it by one of their division opponents benefiting from it. There is no way a player, who is under contract, should be allowed to act out to the point he is released and then benefit from it. AB threatened physical harm to the GM--don't forget that. He then embarrassed his coach on social media. There is no way that should be rewarded. I don't think he should be get the perma-ban from the NFL, but there needs to be some kind of 6-8 game suspension period initiated by the league for players who are released because of their conduct. 

What stops any other player in the league from doing this? Hmm, my team is struggling this year and I want a title--I will go punch my coach, get my contact voided and then get signed by a contender. This is a dangerous path to go down if the NFL doesn't address this. 
Exactly, he is making a mockery of the league. Plain and simple

Part of the trade between the RAiders and Steelers, the Steelers had to pay a BUNCH of ABs contract the next 2 years. 

Does all of this mean they are released from this?

if so, does it free up salary cap space?
The Steelers weren't paying any of Brown's new contract. When they traded Brown, the remainder of his pro-rated signing bonus had to be accelerated to this year's cap. It was money already paid to him that they had been able to spread over the life of the deal until they traded him.

So that $20M cap hit this year is just an accounting thing for money already paid out.

The Patriots keep beating everybody in their race to the bottom. That's the legacy they'll have. A Northeastern nihilist leading the brigade, with loyalty from nihilists whose mantra is to put their head in the sand and "do. their. job." and just win with whomever without regard for character nor integrity. That's the Patriots way. 

Deamryius should have looked out for number one and signed with Denver for more money. Knew the Pats would do exactly what they did if the chance came along. This leave fantasy owners in a lurch, too. 
Depends what his goal is. If its another ring, New England is/was the best the spot to get one, certainly a hell of a lot better than Denver, and I think Denver is a much better team than most do.

Really, no reason they can't keep Brown, Edelman, Gordon, and Thomas. Along with Dorsett and Meyers(who both play special teams, as do Brown and Edelman occasionally) and just roll with all of them. 

I agree with this. 

I don’t understand how there’s no conduct unbecoming suspension being laid down by Goodell here. 

There’s no way you can threaten to punch a GM in the face & not be suspended for that. Hell, that was the exact language the Raiders used to void his contract, so it’s not like it hasn’t been laid out in black & white. 

That should be at least a 4 game suspension, and when you throw the social media nonsense & posting fines & mocking the team, etc into it, maybe longer. I would think it warranted a 6-8 game suspension & maybe on appeal he gets it to 6 or 4,  but if Goodell let’s it go totally unaddressed that’s just a bush league move.

i can’t imagine how he could simply move on to an improved situation & be totally rewarded for his petulant behavior. This whole thing was an epic ####show & a black eye on the league. 

If this wasn’t conduct unbecoming, nothing is. 

:yes:

And not just embarrassed. He recorded him in violation of California law and then published it. They should press charges. 

I agree with this. 

I don’t understand how there’s no conduct unbecoming suspension being laid down by Goodell here. 

There’s no way you can threaten to punch a GM in the face & not be suspended for that. Hell, that was the exact language the Raiders used to void his contract, so it’s not like it hasn’t been laid out in black & white. 
That's on Raider management. Maybe if a player threatened an owner. But GM answers to owner. Put that on Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread