What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chick Fil-A (3 Viewers)

I hear it's owned by Christians and they are not open on Sundays. Can anyone confirm this? Not that it matters to me if they are Christian. In-N-Out is owned by Christians and they put out a beautiful product/ not packed with poisons. They even have John 3:16 printed on the bottom of their cups. What I'm trying to extrapolate is if there is a correlation between being an openly Christian owned fast food joint and the quality of the food, like the fact that it's real chicken and not some sort of Monsanto lab experiment. I don't know I've never eaten there but there is one on the way to Vegas. I keep hearing that Chik-fil-a is a quality product.

Enlighten me.
Samuel Truett Cathy (born March 14, 1921) is the founder of Chick-fil-A, a quick service restaurant chain based in suburban Atlanta, Georgia, USA.

Early life

Cathy was born in Eatonton, Georgia in 1921. He attended high school at Boys High in Atlanta, which is now Grady High School. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II.

Cathy began the chain in the Atlanta suburb of Hapeville, Georgia in 1946 with a restaurant called the Dwarf Grill or the Dwarf House, named for its small size. It was there that he, along with his brother and partner, Ben, created the sandwich that later became the signature menu item for Chick-fil-A. The original restaurant, since renamed Dwarf House, is still in operation, and the company operates other Dwarf House locations in the metro Atlanta area.

Career

S. Truett Cathy is a member of the First Baptist Church in Jonesboro, Georgia, and also has taught Sunday School there for over 50 years. The Bible is his guide-book for life.[1] As an extension of his convictions, all of the company's locations (whether company-owned or franchised), are closed on Sundays — a rare policy within the food-service industry — to allow its employees to attend church and spend time with their families.[2] This is a policy that began when Truett was working 6 days a week, multiple shifts. He decided to close on Sundays to relax and recharge,as well as honor God. The policy remains intact today as the restaurants are closed on Sunday.

He is also a philanthropist, having given to numerous charitable causes, many with evangelical ties. Cathy is also closely involved with the sponsorship of the college football bowl game now known as the Chick-fil-A Bowl, but from 1997-2005 known as the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, and prior to that simply the Peach Bowl. On October 28, 2006 he received what would have been the last Ford Taurus sedan ever made had it not been for the Taurus' reintroduction for 2008. Regardless of the reintroduction of the Taurus line, the vehicle was the last off the assembly line of Ford's Atlanta plant and symbolizes a 60-year relationship between Truett and the Ford plant. The plant had opened its doors one year after Truett opened the Dwarf Grill and Truett regularly served all three shifts. Mr. Cathy has also given extensive donations to Berry College in Mount Berry, Georgia. Cathy also built the WinShape program at this school, and continues to give numerous scholarships each year.

He has written four books: the autobiography Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People, a motivational book entitled It's Easier to Succeed Than to Fail, the parenting book It's Easier to Build Boys Than Mend Men, and an explanation of his business success in How Did You Do It, Truett?. He also contributed to the anthology Conversations on Success and co-wrote with Ken Blanchard Generosity Factor: Discover the Joy of Giving Your Time, Talent, and Treasure. There is a portion of Jonesboro Rd and McDonough Rd in Henry County,Georgia and Clayton County,Georgia named in his honor. Cathy has said that the motivational book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill was one of the greatest foundations for inspiration growing up.[4]
Also, Cathy's net worth is estimated at $1.2 Billion.Owner-operator's do quite well, too.

"The company asks operators to pay just $5,000 as an initial franchise fee. KFC, for example, demands $25,000 and a net worth of $1 million.

Chick-fil-A pays for the land, the construction and the equipment. It then rents everything to the franchisee for 15% of the restaurant's sales plus 50% of the pretax profit remaining. Operators, who are discouraged from running more than a few restaurants, take home $100,000 a year on average from a single outlet."
For those thinking of getting one, it's extremely difficult. You can view the application on their web site.

I hear it's owned by Christians and they are not open on Sundays. Can anyone confirm this? Not that it matters to me if they are Christian. In-N-Out is owned by Christians and they put out a beautiful product/ not packed with poisons. They even have John 3:16 printed on the bottom of their cups. What I'm trying to extrapolate is if there is a correlation between being an openly Christian owned fast food joint and the quality of the food, like the fact that it's real chicken and not some sort of Monsanto lab experiment. I don't know I've never eaten there but there is one on the way to Vegas. I keep hearing that Chik-fil-a is a quality product. Enlighten me.
In-N-Out is independently owned by religious nuts that put biblical citations on the bottom of the cups. They don't franchise and they use fresh ingredients. they cook with Jesus.

I hear it's owned by Christians and they are not open on Sundays. Can anyone confirm this? Not that it matters to me if they are Christian. In-N-Out is owned by Christians and they put out a beautiful product/ not packed with poisons. They even have John 3:16 printed on the bottom of their cups. What I'm trying to extrapolate is if there is a correlation between being an openly Christian owned fast food joint and the quality of the food, like the fact that it's real chicken and not some sort of Monsanto lab experiment. I don't know I've never eaten there but there is one on the way to Vegas. I keep hearing that Chik-fil-a is a quality product. Enlighten me.
In-N-Out is independently owned by religious nuts that put biblical citations on the bottom of the cups. They don't franchise and they use fresh ingredients. they cook with Jesus.
I think I did see a Jesus in the kitchen once.

I hear it's owned by Christians and they are not open on Sundays. Can anyone confirm this? Not that it matters to me if they are Christian. In-N-Out is owned by Christians and they put out a beautiful product/ not packed with poisons. They even have John 3:16 printed on the bottom of their cups. What I'm trying to extrapolate is if there is a correlation between being an openly Christian owned fast food joint and the quality of the food, like the fact that it's real chicken and not some sort of Monsanto lab experiment. I don't know I've never eaten there but there is one on the way to Vegas. I keep hearing that Chik-fil-a is a quality product.

Enlighten me.
Why does that matter? Is that even a consideration for some? What if someone started by saying, I hear it is owned by blacks? This forum is almost McCarthyists when it comes to Christians.
Untwist your panties. He was being complimentary suggesting that christian run food chains demand higher quality.

I've always had mixed feelings about Chick-Fil-A.

Love the Chicken Sandwich. Love the service. Love the waffle fries. As others have said, when it comes to fast food, it really doesn't get much better.

The closed on Sunday thing just annoys me though. Not that it's inconvenient. If I'm thinking chicken on a Sunday, I go with Bojangles. I'm not a Christian, so the whole thing seems silly to me. I'm fine with people believing in something. I respect it. It just seems presumptuous to assume that all your employees share those beliefs. I'd just prefer that religion stay out of the multi-billion dollar deep-fried chicken pieces/potatoes/corn-syrup laden sauce businesses.
I think it is part of the interview process - they are looking for like-minded folks to work there. Seems to work for them.

I've always had mixed feelings about Chick-Fil-A.Love the Chicken Sandwich. Love the service. Love the waffle fries. As others have said, when it comes to fast food, it really doesn't get much better.The closed on Sunday thing just annoys me though. Not that it's inconvenient. If I'm thinking chicken on a Sunday, I go with Bojangles. I'm not a Christian, so the whole thing seems silly to me. I'm fine with people believing in something. I respect it. It just seems presumptuous to assume that all your employees share those beliefs. I'd just prefer that religion stay out of the multi-billion dollar deep-fried chicken pieces/potatoes/corn-syrup laden sauce businesses.
I'm sure the non-Christian employees are just :thumbup: that they get a weekend day off in the fast food industry. You tell 'em pal!

This is what makes private industry in a religiously-free society so intriguing and diverse. I am a Christian in the northern US. I know Christians in my area who will make a point to eat at any franchise they come across if they go south. It is a draw for them.It doesn't have to be a draw for everyone. And some people may avoid it because they don't like the overtly Christian ownership. But private industry is free to run their businesses however they see fit (within legal restrictions/FDA regulations etc) and the market speaks for itself. Chick-Fil-A is successful for all the reasons listed in this thread (clean, friendly, best fast food option...).I would guess only a small % of their success has anything to do with customers choosing CFA over McD's solely because of their religious convictions. Unless they are Hindus. Then they can't eat hamburgers.

This is what makes private industry in a religiously-free society so intriguing and diverse. I am a Christian in the northern US. I know Christians in my area who will make a point to eat at any franchise they come across if they go south. It is a draw for them.It doesn't have to be a draw for everyone. And some people may avoid it because they don't like the overtly Christian ownership. But private industry is free to run their businesses however they see fit (within legal restrictions/FDA regulations etc) and the market speaks for itself. Chick-Fil-A is successful for all the reasons listed in this thread (clean, friendly, best fast food option...).I would guess only a small % of their success has anything to do with customers choosing CFA over McD's solely because of their religious convictions. Unless they are Hindus. Then they can't eat hamburgers.
FYI my post is a quote from Weeds. I love In-N-Out, it's pretty much the only fast food I eat (except for the guilty pleasure of local Mexican dives) but if Chick-Fil-A is committed to the same level of quality as In-N-Out (and it seems that they might be) then I will add them to my list.I couldn't care less about their religion, it's the quality of food and service that is most important.

I love how people think the food and the cleanliness of a restaurant is great... until they find out it's run by Christians. Then all of a sudden it sucks and the people are nutjobs.

:lmao: You people aren't even trying to pretend not to hate anymore.

The other common thread between In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A is they are privately held and they have grown organically, without significant outside financing. When you don't have to answer to investors every quarter and justify your earnings, it gives a lot more freedom and flexibility to strategically build a busines for long-term success.

One just opened last week less than ten minutes from where I live. Sonofa#####. This is gonna wreak havoc on my relatively good eating habits.

The original chik sandwich is glorious, especially when you add a packet of their mayo, and pepper, to it.

Kids eat free on Tuesdays. Can feed the wife and kid (two of the 6 piece nugget kids meals) for the price of my meal. It's not a staple on Tuesdays, but once in a while it's great.

The one store even has themed kids nights where the employees dress up and act stuff out...sometimes they even pull in outsiders. Entertaining for the kids at least.

I love how people think the food and the cleanliness of a restaurant is great... until they find out it's run by Christians. Then all of a sudden it sucks and the people are nutjobs. :lmao: You people aren't even trying to pretend not to hate anymore.
What are you talking about?? Seriously?No one has bashed then for being run by Christians, this thread had just been a bunch of pathetically uptight Christians looking for any chance to be a victim and crying foul. They end up looking stupid (see jonmx).Chill out and re-read.

The original chik sandwich is glorious, especially when you add a packet of their mayo, and pepper, to it. Kids eat free on Tuesdays. Can feed the wife and kid (two of the 6 piece nugget kids meals) for the price of my meal. It's not a staple on Tuesdays, but once in a while it's great. The one store even has themed kids nights where the employees dress up and act stuff out...sometimes they even pull in outsiders. Entertaining for the kids at least.
your wife is not a kid, pretending she is 12 to feed her for free is dishonest.

Places make money hand over fist for a number of reasons.-They have a huge emphasis on customer service and their benefits attract a much higher quality employee than most other fast food joints. The dining experience is usually top notch.-They are indeed christian owned, closed on Sundays and heavily involved in the community almost like a youth group for a church. That appeals to a large subset of customers. Me? I could care less.-Their distribution model and menu are based on what made McDonald's huge in the 60's. A very simple menu item as their staple: a fried chicken patty on a bun with two pickles which allows them to make every thing quickly and in huge batches. It also means they don't have to stock inventory on a host of other menu items that may spoil or not sell as well. As opposed to McDonald's & Burger King or other places who have huge varied menu's now and champion everything made to order. Made to order causes delay's, increases serving time, and causes like 90% of the error's. People wonder why when they order "No onions, mustard instead of mayo, extra cheese and jalopeno's" it takes longer for them to get their order than the others in line.-Genius marketing. While I think the "Eat More Chikin" cows ad campaign has gotten really stale and old, there's no doubt it's won over a huge crowd over the years. I know I thought it was hilarious when it first started.-They've convinced people they are more healthy version of fast food when they aren't really all that much healthier.-Definitely benefiting from a "fad" type hysteria these days which helps too. I know tons of women who love eating in at a Chik Fil A but wouldn't be caught dead in a McDonald's.
:lmao: My SIL was in their marketing department for years, and now owns a Chick-Fil-A franchise outside of Charlotte. Within her first week of owning it she fired three people who were either lazy or disrespectful (she apparently said "You want to roll your eyes at me well you can just roll your little behind right out the door to the unemployment line, sweetheart!)", and that got the attention of the rest of the staff pretty quickly. She loves - LOVES - working for the company.They train their staff exceptionally well and have retreats for the franchisees so that they can learn how to improve things from each other. The owners are devoutly Baptist and will never open on Sunday for that reason. As far as the food goes, I've never seen the attraction as I've never found any seasoning in the chicken. Just tastes bland to me. :shrug:

Two :rolleyes: to Chic-fil-A.

The food is good and as a father of 2 little one's I have a great deal of appreciation for there family friendly atmosphere. Ate there last night. Holding my 5 mo and trying to corral my 2 yo while ordering. The girl behind the counter offered to bring the food out to my table. That's the norm, not an exception.

-Best chix for fast food bar none... strips, nuggets, patties, doesn't matter, stuff is always tasty and just out of the fryer,

-The absolute best waffle fries excpet I wish they would give you more. Line up the mayo and ketchup and I go into an out of body experience for about 10 minutes...salt those puppies up too before you go dunking. Always hot.

-The staff speaks fluent English!!!

-Well staffed, people look healthy not strung out from drugs or whatever. Lot of kids on their way to good colleges filling these places up.

-They always keep the condiment area well stocked. You can grab as much stuff as you like, you're not asked how many would you like...I hate that gd question at any of the other places....just give me a handful of them and let me go on my way. Let the unused ketchup I waste be on the hands of me and my future children you sons of britches!!! They have mayo, light mayo, mustard, ketch, salt, lots of plastic utensils, napkins for days.

-Their icedream cones are heavenly.

-The place is typically clean. Now if you go to a mall set up it's different, but the stand alones are always clean.

-Reasonably priced

-Lemonade!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy their sandwiches more than just about any other fast food. Usually a must stop when I pass by one on a road trip. But, it's always frustrating driving back to DC at the end of a weekend, getting off the highway after seeing a Chick Fil-A sign and and then remembering that it's Sunday. :thumbup:

Never been to one, my fiance however (whom no longer eats chicken anyway :( ) swears by it.

The hype sounds a LOT like the lemming love for In 'n Out. Yeah, its better than most fast food, and maybe fresher. Both have a religious slant - good service and all that. But its hardly the best or the end all of food done fast.

Not saying either is bad, and I dont know about Chick anyway, but it sounds a lot alike in the irrational love ala In 'n Out.

I love how people think the food and the cleanliness of a restaurant is great... until they find out it's run by Christians. Then all of a sudden it sucks and the people are nutjobs. :lmao: You people aren't even trying to pretend not to hate anymore.
:lmao:
While I am sure the Christian thing is an issue for some (stupidly so), I must say I prefer not to be preached at by my food, regardless of what the belief system is. I don't want to read bible verses, the words of Allah or buddhist musings on my food cartons. Well, I take that back - the life philosophy of fortune cookies is my one exception. Either way, that doesnt prevent me from going somewhere (unless I get prostelytized at, and thats never been an issue at any restuarant). Heck, one of my fav places in town was a "God Loves You" pancake house, run by the owners of the Christian book store. Unfortunately, God did not love them and it is now out of business.

The original chik sandwich is glorious, especially when you add a packet of their mayo, and pepper, to it. Kids eat free on Tuesdays. Can feed the wife and kid (two of the 6 piece nugget kids meals) for the price of my meal. It's not a staple on Tuesdays, but once in a while it's great. The one store even has themed kids nights where the employees dress up and act stuff out...sometimes they even pull in outsiders. Entertaining for the kids at least.
your wife is not a kid, pretending she is 12 to feed her for free is dishonest.
Nonsense!

I just did some quick research trying to find out where Chick-Fil-A sources their chicken from and came across a MB thread and just love the response to this post:

They use CAFO bred chickens (In their FAQ they are asked about Hormone and Antibiotic use in their chickens and their response strongly suggests that they buy their chickens from feedlots). Apparently the FDA disallows the addition of hormones in all chicken feed (though chickens in CAFOs eat slaughterhouse remnants of cows).
I don't care if they're genetically engineered polyps harvested from the rectums of caged narwhales.
:lmao:

Good enough chicken for fast food.

Friendly staff.

Clean stores.

Biggest thing at least here, Kid's night. Free kid's meals with an adult meal. Get the kids fruit rather than fries.

Can turn in their "toys" for ice cream.

A guy can't even ask a question around here? I READ the responses and was amused. I also would like to thank those that set them straight. Some people love to feel persecuted.

Let's try this...

Christian "Are" Christian "They" Christian "Selling" Christian "Quality" Christian "Poison" Christian "Free" Christian "Food" Christian "Christian?"

I love how people think the food and the cleanliness of a restaurant is great... until they find out it's run by Christians. Then all of a sudden it sucks and the people are nutjobs. :angry: You people aren't even trying to pretend not to hate anymore.
What are you talking about?? Seriously?No one has bashed then for being run by Christians, this thread had just been a bunch of pathetically uptight Christians looking for any chance to be a victim and crying foul. They end up looking stupid (see jonmx).Chill out and re-read.
Umm...you also need to re-read...there is very little uptight Christians crying foul or playing the victim.

What are you talking about?? Seriously?

No one has bashed then for being run by Christians, this thread had just been a bunch of pathetically uptight Christians looking for any chance to be a victim and crying foul. They end up looking stupid (see jonmx).

Chill out and re-read.
How about you grow up and at least pretend to have some class?

Spicy chicken sandwich? :calls up sister in law: WHY HAVE YOU NOT TOLD ME ABOUT THIS?!?!?!?!? :lmao:

What are you talking about?? Seriously?

No one has bashed then for being run by Christians, this thread had just been a bunch of pathetically uptight Christians looking for any chance to be a victim and crying foul. They end up looking stupid (see jonmx).

Chill out and re-read.
How about you grow up and at least pretend to have some class?
Relishing in playing the victim is fun for some people, but it disgusts me. :lmao:

I won't apologize for that.

Umm...you also need to re-read...there is very little uptight Christians crying foul or playing the victim.
I love how people think the food and the cleanliness of a restaurant is great... until they find out it's run by Christians. Then all of a sudden it sucks and the people are nutjobs.

:lmao: You people aren't even trying to pretend not to hate anymore.

Enlighten me.
Why does that matter? Is that even a consideration for some? What if someone started by saying, I hear it is owned by blacks? This forum is almost McCarthyists when it comes to Christians.
Some of the most blatant displays of bigotry I've seen on this board has been towards Christians.
Ok now find me quotes of people bashing Christians.

GO!

Users who are viewing this thread