What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chick Fil-A (2 Viewers)

I have a long commute and this is now my go-to place for eating in the car when I know I won't make it home until after 7.

Fat Nick said:
Just approved by zoning to open one in Flemington NJ. :excited: :thumbup: :pickle:

The wife and I went to a prospective franchisee meeting one time a few years ago. Interesting franchise model they have...
You were approved?
So here's a few of the details:

-They want approved franchisees to share their religious beliefs. Not necessarily as fanatical, but if you told them you were agnostic or Muslim, I doubt you'd be getting a franchise

-The part I found interesting is that they do all the location and build-out. You basically "run" the franchise within their parameters and give them a % of the revenues. I forget the % exactly. So basically, they get paid if you sell something, even if you're operating at a loss.

We didn't pursue the path any further because of these two major caveats:

-With very few exceptions, you can own a maximum of 1 franchise location.

-When you die, or decide to retire, THEY decide who the franchise transfers to. If I retired, and wanted to give it to my kids, I'd need Chick-fil-a approval. Likewise, I can't sell my franchise rights to someone else.

These two things greatly cap the earnings potential. They said that a good owner operator could take home $200-$300K...My wife and I felt we could do better elsewhere.
So really you don't OWN it if you don't build any equity or build the business. You can't decide to sell it to whomever you'd like; when you're done, you've made your salary, and you're done?Sounds like you pay the franchise fee and you just become an employee of CFA?
that actually that is a very good take home for a qsr - only being able to own one is stupid, that would be a deal killer. Last, burger king killed their franchisee's with royalty payments and mandatory marketing payments. Sounds like this is similar. Only being able to own one would be the deal killer for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to like this place until it started costing 8-10 to eat there. Honestly, I can get a good lunch or dinner for that price, granted I live in a city with a million choices.

i love the chicken strips.

What irks me is when you get your food and pay its always "have a blessed day".

I use to like this place until it started costing 8-10 to eat there. Honestly, I can get a good lunch or dinner for that price, granted I live in a city with a million choices.
For one person? What do you get that costs as much as $10? In my experience, it's much less, around $6.

Bruce Dickinson said:
Somebody call the police because I just murdered the Chick-fil-a breakfast buffet.
:coffee:
I might switch my next Orlando trip from a flight to a drive so I can hit up one of these CFA breakfast buffets along the way.
It's the only thing that keeps my insane jealousy of your Disney trips in check. I sit at the buffet stuffing my face and tell myself "Bruce may make gold records and visit Disney all the time but he doesn't have glorious all-you-can-eat chicken". If you take this from me I'll have to consider murdering you.

Bruce Dickinson said:
Somebody call the police because I just murdered the Chick-fil-a breakfast buffet.
I might switch my next Orlando trip from a flight to a drive so I can hit up one of these CFA breakfast buffets along the way.
It's the only thing that keeps my insane jealousy of your Disney trips in check. I sit at the buffet stuffing my face and tell myself "Bruce may make gold records and visit Disney all the time but he doesn't have glorious all-you-can-eat chicken". If you take this from me I'll have to consider murdering you.
I think I can hear the sound of your heart grinding to a stop.

For one person? What do you get that costs as much as $10? In my experience, it's much less, around $6.
maybe it is just cali - basic meal with Fies and drink is 8-9. Grilled chix club meal - 9.15 before tax, basic chicken meal -7.85 before tax. Pasadena, ca. I can get a large bowl of pho across the street for the same price. I can also get a chicken schwarma wrap for 5.00 down the street or a combo tri tip schrwarma plate for 9.95 (enough for two meals). I love the fries but it is a tiny chicken breast with way too much bun. Just my opinion.

Bruce Dickinson said:
:lmao:

It's a low carb dieters dream. Granted it's loaded with sodium and the amount I eat boarders on the obscene but I try to limit my visits.

Bruce Dickinson said:
:lmao: It's a low carb dieters dream. Granted it's loaded with sodium and the amount I eat boarders on the obscene but I try to limit my visits.
what is on the breakfast buffet and how much does it cost? Mmmmmm breakfast.

I live in the south (kind of) and have never seen or heard of a CFA breakfast buffet.
I've only seen them in Georgia.
I've wasted spent all these years on FBGs and I've finally found something I'm an expert in.

I've discussed it before but they are on at the Dwarf Houses and one other exception which is Truett's - a restaurant a little south of Atlanta named after the founder. I think there is about 8-10 Dwarf Houses around metro Atlanta - the original being in Hapeville. They have two sections - a regular Chick-fil-a side and a sit down side tht serves mostly the same food with better presentation and more expensive.

The buffet has eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage and of course Chick-fil-a chicken filets. They used to have French toast sticks but stopped them at my location.

Note that the buffet is typically only Friday and Saturday morning. Occasionally they will have it on Thursday night or some special occasions - I think they were open Black Friday all day for example.

AAA describing this glorious Dwarf House/CFA buffet makes me want to move to ATL.

BTW, did anybody else grow up around Wendy's and KFC's that had buffets?

I used to tear the hell out of all-you-can-eat chicken livers at KFC. I remember the Wendy's buffet being awesome, but odd. Like with some italian type stuff, complete with garlic bread that was just burger buns with garlic and butter (well, of course it was some soybean oil product, but you get the picture).

AAA describing this glorious Dwarf House/CFA buffet makes me want to move to ATL.

I used to tear the hell out of all-you-can-eat chicken livers at KFC. I remember the Wendy's buffet being awesome, but odd. Like with some italian type stuff, complete with garlic bread that was just burger buns with garlic and butter (well, of course it was some soybean oil product, but you get the picture).
Italian, right next to the Mexican food. At a Wendy's. Didn't think about it as a kid, but definitely weird now.

SWC said:
they put one up on captiol drive here in milwaukeeland and it has like a four car wide drivethough it is like a bank maybe they send you food in a tube i do not know damndest thing i ever saw brohans take that to the bank
Maybe you need to change your catch phrase to take that to the Fil A, Chikans.:wakawaka:

Bruce Dickinson said:
Just keep a copy of my posting history handy. No jury would convict you with that kind of evidence supporting your case.

Carls Jr and Wendys used to have salad bars.

Was doing work with a guy not too long ago and lunch time came up. Was going to skip lunch but there was some down time so I asked if he wanted to go. Not having a lot of time I said I don't usually do fast food but Chick would be okay. His eyes lit up and he tells me he goes there every day for lunch. Every day! Seems a bit much. :shrug:
His eyes lit up when you mentioned the restaurant that he goes to every single day? :lol:

I live in the south (kind of) and have never seen or heard of a CFA breakfast buffet.
I've only seen them in Georgia.
I've wasted spent all these years on FBGs and I've finally found something I'm an expert in.

I've discussed it before but they are on at the Dwarf Houses and one other exception which is Truett's - a restaurant a little south of Atlanta named after the founder. I think there is about 8-10 Dwarf Houses around metro Atlanta - the original being in Hapeville. They have two sections - a regular Chick-fil-a side and a sit down side tht serves mostly the same food with better presentation and more expensive.

The buffet has eggs, grits, biscuits, gravy, bacon, sausage and of course Chick-fil-a chicken filets. They used to have French toast sticks but stopped them at my location.
so you're in the Stockbridge area I take it?

Just approved by zoning to open one in Flemington NJ. :excited: :thumbup: :pickle:

The wife and I went to a prospective franchisee meeting one time a few years ago. Interesting franchise model they have...
You were approved?

-They want approved franchisees to share their religious beliefs. Not necessarily as fanatical, but if you told them you were agnostic or Muslim, I doubt you'd be getting a franchise

-The part I found interesting is that they do all the location and build-out. You basically "run" the franchise within their parameters and give them a % of the revenues. I forget the % exactly. So basically, they get paid if you sell something, even if you're operating at a loss.

-When you die, or decide to retire, THEY decide who the franchise transfers to. If I retired, and wanted to give it to my kids, I'd need Chick-fil-a approval. Likewise, I can't sell my franchise rights to someone else.

These two things greatly cap the earnings potential. They said that a good owner operator could take home $200-$300K...My wife and I felt we could do better elsewhere.
So really you don't OWN it if you don't build any equity or build the business. You can't decide to sell it to whomever you'd like; when you're done, you've made your salary, and you're done?Sounds like you pay the franchise fee and you just become an employee of CFA?
that actually that is a very good take home for a qsr - only being able to own one is stupid, that would be a deal killer. Last, burger king killed their franchisee's with royalty payments and mandatory marketing payments. Sounds like this is similar. Only being able to own one would be the deal killer for me.
:yes: Having owned franchises before, I'll know that owning 2 is far less than 2x the work of owning 1. Basically, once you understand the learning curve associated with running one, all you need is the right people in management and you can own more and more...You can pay a good manager a solid wage to basically "run" the place and then open another and another and another. Under this model, that scalability is gone.

IMO, the risk of franchise ownership is that YOU are responsible for your own paycheck. If you f-up and the business doesn't do well, you don't do well. I feel like if you're willing to take that risk, you should be able to participate in the upside by owning more franchises if you can. I collect a regular paycheck from a large corporation now. In exchange for the stability of a paycheck that I get regardless of our performance (assumign we're not bankrupt), I acknowledge that my pay won't grow at the same rate as the business growth. Simple risk = reward. I get why CF does it this way...it's just not for me if I'm taking that kind of risk.

Rick James said:
StalkerChat
:lmao: @Rick - no, I'm on the north side of Atlanta but lived in that area 30+ years ago. Truett's is there but I've only eaten there once. The Dwarf Houses are scattered all over metro Atlanta.
lol. I grew up in Stockbridge and my wife worked at the Truett's in high school.
How old are you? My sister graduated from Stockbridge HS in 1988.

You were approved?

:yes: Having owned franchises before, I'll know that owning 2 is far less than 2x the work of owning 1. Basically, once you understand the learning curve associated with running one, all you need is the right people in management and you can own more and more...You can pay a good manager a solid wage to basically "run" the place and then open another and another and another. Under this model, that scalability is gone.

IMO, the risk of franchise ownership is that YOU are responsible for your own paycheck. If you f-up and the business doesn't do well, you don't do well. I feel like if you're willing to take that risk, you should be able to participate in the upside by owning more franchises if you can. I collect a regular paycheck from a large corporation now. In exchange for the stability of a paycheck that I get regardless of our performance (assumign we're not bankrupt), I acknowledge that my pay won't grow at the same rate as the business growth. Simple risk = reward. I get why CF does it this way...it's just not for me if I'm taking that kind of risk.
Are you sure about the "can't own two Chick franchises"? I have a friend of a friend that owns one and is about to own another in a close by city. He said they are making her wait 2 years but that she will have it when the OK that market.

You were approved?

Are you sure about the "can't own two Chick franchises"? I have a friend of a friend that owns one and is about to own another in a close by city. He said they are making her wait 2 years but that she will have it when the OK that market.
I specifically remember the comment being basically, "With very few exceptions, our franchisees own only one franchise." So I don't think it's prohibited...but it's also not common. They did say that in certain circumstances, it happens.

Keep in mind, we went to this seminar ~2 years ago, so maybe they've changed some...

Rick James said:
StalkerChat
:lmao: @Rick - no, I'm on the north side of Atlanta but lived in that area 30+ years ago. Truett's is there but I've only eaten there once. The Dwarf Houses are scattered all over metro Atlanta.
lol. I grew up in Stockbridge and my wife worked at the Truett's in high school.
How old are you? My sister graduated from Stockbridge HS in 1988.
graduated from Stockbridge HS in 2003

You were approved?

I specifically remember the comment being basically, "With very few exceptions, our franchisees own only one franchise." So I don't think it's prohibited...but it's also not common. They did say that in certain circumstances, it happens.

Keep in mind, we went to this seminar ~2 years ago, so maybe they've changed some...
My cousin's husband owns 2 here locally and applied for a 3rd, but got beat out by someone else for it.

Thanks for the info AAA.

I'm traveling to Griffin, GA. sometime before August for work and I see that there is a Dwarf House there. I can see a Wednesday Night Breakfast Buffet in my future.

:tebow:

One question though.

Do they put the spicy chicken on the buffet or just the regular?

Also, chicken strips or just the filets?
I'd just camp out there all day if they had nuggets....but that's not really a breakfast thing.

Users who are viewing this thread