Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Do what you love vs. Career

CicncyKid

I am sure almost anyone that reads this would love to be earning a good paycheck while pursuing a passion. The fact is most aren't able to leave the job they have because the money they make is too good, they have kids, they can't risk it all for a chance... It would be nice to hear from some people on here that actually figured a way out to break away from the norm and are now doing what they love.

I have a good career, making my way up the ladder after 5+ years with the same company, my first job out of college, good money, but I always think there is something else out there for me. The weird thing is I am doing exactly what I thought I would be doing since I was 12 years old. It is hard to explain, but now that I am doing it, I want to try something else.

We love to travel so I have been thinking of different paths to take. Not the easiest field to break into. Working at one of those all inclusive resorts as an entertainment director would be a dream job, but those folks are usually island residents and the pay isn't going to cut it with a young kid and wife to take care of.

I just can't see breaking away... it's scary, intimidating, and in this economy probably stupid.

Any inspiration out there?

i teach. i was away from it for 13 years. came back last year. absolutely the best professional decision of my life. i love the kids, love the interaction, the fulfillment, etc.

do what you love. the $$$ will eventually follow.

I don't love my job. It's a good career and I'm good at it. The company I work for is good to me. On the days where I'm not looking forward to going into work I just tell myself that I work so I can do the things I really love.

It's a lot easier to be passionate about what you do when you have the freedom (and responsibility) to do your job as you see fit. That's why partner and I decided, about 10 years ago while working at The Firm, if we had to work for some #######s, we'd just work for ourselves.

On the flipside, if you do anything long enough, it'll too become a job. For example, I love poker and bowling but if you told me that I had to do either one of them for a living, I'd probably grow to hate them.

It's sometimes not a bad thing to have a job that is just okay. We all want to be doing something else while at work. That's life.

On the flipside, if you do anything long enough, it'll too become a job. For example, I love poker and bowling but if you told me that I had to do either one of them for a living, I'd probably grow to hate them. It's sometimes not a bad thing to have a job that is just okay. We all want to be doing something else while at work. That's life.

Do you think that the people working as bartenders at a Caribbean island beach bar get tired of the ocean breeze, interesting people they meet, and sunsets everyday? I get what you are saying, but there are some people in this world that actually really do love what they do and make money doing it.

On the flipside, if you do anything long enough, it'll too become a job. For example, I love poker and bowling but if you told me that I had to do either one of them for a living, I'd probably grow to hate them. It's sometimes not a bad thing to have a job that is just okay. We all want to be doing something else while at work. That's life.

Do you think that the people working as bartenders at a Caribbean island beach bar get tired of the ocean breeze, interesting people they meet, and sunsets everyday? I get what you are saying, but there are some people in this world that actually really do love what they do and make money doing it.
Of course they do, because as good as that sounds to you from the outside that just becomes normal for them and they are wondering "what if" about something else. Do you know how many annoying, drunk travel idiots constantly hounding them for drinks, directions, suggestions, etc that they have to deal with everyday? As said earlier, you do something long enough and the shine wears off.

Of course they do, because as good as that sounds to you from the outside that just becomes normal for them and they are wondering "what if" about something else. Do you know how many annoying, drunk travel idiots constantly hounding them for drinks, directions, suggestions, etc that they have to deal with everyday? As said earlier, you do something long enough and the shine wears off.
Also, I would think they really don't make much money because you have lots of other people competing for jobs that are from poorer countries. And the cost of living would probably be very high compared to what your are making.

I think these dudes gat paid in p***y

I'm certain of it. For all the "ocean breeze and people they meet" there are also people that don't tip, drunks that have to be handled, and bottles that have to be wiped down when everyone else has gone home to sleep. I dabbled with starting businesses for years, getting fired from "real" jobs twice in the process when I was found to be working on my own businesses. After the second firing, I borrowed one month's bill-money from my parents and dove headlong in to my new venture. My struggles have been well chronicled around here but after a couple years it's finally coming around and the business looks "solid". It is very rewarding to do your own thing, do what you love. It is also very stressful and every day is a challenge.I'd encourage you to think about what it is you think you would like to do. Then think about how doing that would provide a life for your family. Being a beekeeper is great, but working 2 other jobs to make enough money to support yourself probably isn't.

i teach. i was away from it for 13 years. came back last year. absolutely the best professional decision of my life. i love the kids, love the interaction, the fulfillment, etc. do what you love. the $$$ will eventually follow.

This would be one of the first things on my to do list right now if I came upon a decent chunk of money that would enable me to make the change. As of now, I've got a mortgage and expenses that fit within my current salary but would be too large on a teacher's salary. Not to mention I'd have to go back to school and lose money rather than make it for a couple years as I got my degree / certification / etc.I'd love to be home with my kids (now 4 & 2) over the summers and I'm sure I'll look back one day after they're grown and say I should have just figured out a way to do it but just can't see a way to right now. :goodposting:

I am sure almost anyone that reads this would love to be earning a good paycheck while pursuing a passion. The fact is most aren't able to leave the job they have because the money they make is too good, they have kids, they can't risk it all for a chance... It would be nice to hear from some people on here that actually figured a way out to break away from the norm and are now doing what they love.

I have a good career, making my way up the ladder after 5+ years with the same company, my first job out of college, good money, but I always think there is something else out there for me. The weird thing is I am doing exactly what I thought I would be doing since I was 12 years old. It is hard to explain, but now that I am doing it, I want to try something else.

We love to travel so I have been thinking of different paths to take. Not the easiest field to break into. Working at one of those all inclusive resorts as an entertainment director would be a dream job, but those folks are usually island residents and the pay isn't going to cut it with a young kid and wife to take care of.

I just can't see breaking away... it's scary, intimidating, and in this economy probably stupid.

I think you've identified the dilemma. Once you do anything for money, it becomes a job. Some people obviously have it better than others. But I think it holds true for most people.

I am blessed in that I am doing what I love (other than playing, writing and performing my music). I was able to pursue music at a young age and kept at it till I was 32. However when i turned 28 I went into banking and Investments as a day job (and possible career). It was my plan B. Well Plan B worked out quite well. I was able to break away from the institution I started with and worked with for 10 great years and am now working for a regional (boutique) firm 2 minutes from my home.

I am very blesssed in that I truly have a passion and love what I do and at the same time I am able to really help so many people achieve success and pursue their financial goals. The money is good and getting better each and every year as my practice grows (I have a partner as well). I went through some really lean years and hard work to get where I am now.

Life is good and I can't complain.

I think you've identified the dilemma. Once you do anything for money, it becomes a job. Some people obviously have it better than others. But I think it holds true for most people.
Yup.

I'm a writer. Mostly a business / sales copywriter, and I also wrote two books. I work for myself at home. I get up when I want, go to sleep when I want, can schedule my day however I wish, and can do the work my way. I make pretty good money doing this, too. From the outside, I have a very desirable job/life (as I love to write, and I get paid to do it.)

But you know what? I've been doing this for ten years. It's a job. I love the job, but it's a job nonetheless.

And while I love working for myself, I'd be lying if I didn't say there aren't days where I wish I just had a regular 9-5 job in an office, with co-workers (it's lonely doing what I do) and a pension. Where I could leave on Friday, and not think about it until Monday (that's almost impossible to do when you are self employed). I sometimes wish I had sick days and personal days. Etc.

Still, I'm happy with the way things worked out.

Yup.

I'm a writer. Mostly a business / sales copywriter, and I also wrote two books. I work for myself at home. I get up when I want, go to sleep when I want, can schedule my day however I wish, and can do the work my way. I make pretty good money doing this, too. From the outside, I have a very desirable job/life (as I love to write, and I get paid to do it.)

But you know what? I've been doing this for ten years. It's a job. I love the job, but it's a job nonetheless.

And while I love working for myself, I'd be lying if I didn't say there aren't days where I wish I just had a regular 9-5 job in an office, with co-workers (it's lonely doing what I do) and a pension. Where I could leave on Friday, and not think about it until Monday (that's almost impossible to do when you are self employed). I sometimes wish I had sick days and personal days. Etc.

My secretary always wanted to be a baker. Took night classes for a few years. Started baking for friends & friends of friends with the intention of building a rep/clientel base in order to be her own boss. She did this for about a year and found that she lost her passion for baking when it included deadlines and clients. She decided it was easier to work for me and bake on the side rather than bake full time. Lucky for me I'm her guinea pig.

Yup.

That is the beauty have having a job that you love and have a passion for. Your geting paid for it.

What more could you want!

I am in your boat. I do have my weekends, but no sick days or vacation days or a pension (self funded 401K like most people). I make my own schedule, my own everything. I don't work for a salary. It is a great thing and it also keeps that fire in your belly. I am purely a fee based practice.

I hate my job and I am too lazy/old to get into something else. It pays my bills, but as of now I am just going through the motions of life and slowly dying. :shrug:

Get busy living, or get busy dying, right? I'm pretty sure my schedule nect week is chocked full of "dying."

Nut up and go to work. I'd love to teach high school and coach baseball. I can't afford that route with five kids and still enjoy the lifestyle that my current job allows me to live. It is a trade off. So I mentor kids (in addition to my own) and coach baseball and wrestling on the side. Give and take. When the kids grow up (another 10 years or so puts the last one in college), then I will consider getting a teaching degree and looking for my "dream job". Until then, make hay while the sun is shining.

I don't love my job. It's a good career and I'm good at it. The company I work for is good to me. On the days where I'm not looking forward to going into work I just tell myself that I work so I can do the things I really love.

:lmao: This is me now too. I had my "dream job" for a while and found that even if you're having fun at work (and really 24/7), life is pretty stressful when you're broke.

Hated my job/career with a passion. But it was so good lucratively that it was impossible to leave. So we worked out a plan to stay and save as much as we could and then we retired early.

I would have preferred a job I really enjoyed for average pay rather than a great paying job I hated but in the end at least I can do what ever I want now for the next 40-50 years and maybe that did make the years I worked worth it.

:goodposting: This is me now too. I had my "dream job" for a while and found that even if you're having fun at work (and really 24/7), life is pretty stressful when you're broke.
Well said.

It is very rewarding to do your own thing, do what you love. It is also very stressful and every day is a challenge.I'd encourage you to think about what it is you think you would like to do. Then think about how doing that would provide a life for your family. Being a beekeeper is great, but working 2 other jobs to make enough money to support yourself probably isn't.

:goodposting: I quit a job that I was quickly working my way up in and making good money for my age to chase a dream and open my own business. It's only been 4 months and I love my business but there is a lot of new stress in my life as everything is on me now.

You don't have to love your job...you just shouldn't hate it.Other than that...shut up and get back to work.

Sure, kwitcher#####in' is a solid philosophy. But I think the more interesting discussion is that a dream can be destroyed when it's tied to your survival.

Yup.

My secretary always wanted to be a baker. Took night classes for a few years. Started baking for friends & friends of friends with the intention of building a rep/clientel base in order to be her own boss. She did this for about a year and found that she lost her passion for baking when it included deadlines and clients. She decided it was easier to work for me and bake on the side rather than bake full time. Lucky for me I'm her guinea pig.
Yum. Tell her we have any opening if she wants to work in sunny Arizona.

I have never held a job for more than 4 years. I have bounced around, doing various things that I enjoy immensely (teaching, making art, building ####, design, etc). For me, this is the only way I am able to stay happy at a job. Once it becomes work, and no longer enjoyable, I am out. Been at my current job just over 3 years. I'm starting to feel that itch again.

As people have pointed out, things change when stress (coming from deadlines, people relying on you, making enough to pay the bills, etc.) becomes involved. For example I love my job, but the stress of it from general work factors make it tough. One of the few things I would rather be doing would be playing baseball, but I'm guessing with pro baseball would come the stress of playing at a high level, not letting down fans, teammates etc. So even then there'd be the "if only" moments like you mentioned.

Seriously, the best one can do is work hard enough so that the "job" options are the type of activity one would really enjoy in a vaccuum. The "ideal, perfect" job does not exist because there is no stress-free job.

I have never held a job for more than 4 years. I have bounced around, doing various things that I enjoy immensely (teaching, making art, building ####, design, etc). For me, this is the only way I am able to stay happy at a job. Once it becomes work, and no longer enjoyable, I am out. Been at my current job just over 3 years. I'm starting to feel that itch again.

This sounded like me before I started working for myself.

so you're saying you can't hold down a job eh? :eek: I know how you feel.. however, with the economy, pretty hard for me to leave a good paying gig when there isn't a whole lot of opportunities out there.. consider yourself lucky!

Have a good paying, fairly interesting professional level job managing a small team with great long term potential and the ability to do different things (large corporation with many functions).

I find myself wanting to spend a month being the guy that mows the side of the highway in the AC tractor.

:sadbanana:

Have a good paying, fairly interesting professional level job managing a small team with great long term potential and the ability to do different things (large corporation with many functions).I find myself wanting to spend a month being the guy that mows the side of the highway in the AC tractor.:football:

I always dream of having a job like that- or being a greeter at WalMart.. if only that job paid well..

Have a good paying, fairly interesting professional level job managing a small team with great long term potential and the ability to do different things (large corporation with many functions).I find myself wanting to spend a month being the guy that mows the side of the highway in the AC tractor.:popcorn:

My grandfather did that for years. No AC though.

As much time as you spend at your job everyday, it would suck to not look forward to it. It is possible to grow into liking a job, too. You have to find a balance but I think too many people let money decide their fate.

You don't have to love your job...you just shouldn't hate it.Other than that...shut up and get back to work.

Sure, kwitcher#####in' is a solid philosophy. But I think the more interesting discussion is that a dream can be destroyed when it's tied to your survival.
:lmao:

I did it. I had a pretty decent career progression going (which I was happy to tell anybody here about - ugh), but I was miserable, worked too much at jobs that, while I liked parts of them, weren't terribly well suited to me, which got really frustrating. So, about six months ago, I said sayonara to the medical device sales job, and went to work in a bike shop for less than my college job paid. I happen to love bikes, working on them, learning about them, etc.

There are definitely sacrifices I've made. I have to rent the 3 bedrooms upstairs out to make my bills, as my mortgage/taxes/insurance/utilities are more than my take home. So, my new wife and I live in the downstairs, but it's basically like a 900 sqft apt. We're about to put a second kitchen in downstairs and a stackable washer/dryer upstairs so the spaces can be completely separate. There are worse fates.

When I go to work after a couple days off, it's relaxing. I actually look forward to work days, especially if the days off have lots of chores involved - and there have been quite a few projects this summer. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Sadly, I want a family one day, so I'm going to have to figure out how to make a legitimate income again. I'm hoping that a couple years working at a bike shop will be the dues paying I need to figure out how to turn the bike industry into an actual career - but for now, it's fantastic.

Sun seems brighter, fruit tastes better, beer goes down smoother, and I want nothing to do with the life I used to have/guy I used to be.

I did it. I had a pretty decent career progression going (which I was happy to tell anybody here about - ugh), but I was miserable, worked too much at jobs that, while I liked parts of them, weren't terribly well suited to me, which got really frustrating. So, about six months ago, I said sayonara to the medical device sales job, and went to work in a bike shop for less than my college job paid. I happen to love bikes, working on them, learning about them, etc. There are definitely sacrifices I've made. I have to rent the 3 bedrooms upstairs out to make my bills, as my mortgage/taxes/insurance/utilities are more than my take home. So, my new wife and I live in the downstairs, but it's basically like a 900 sqft apt. We're about to put a second kitchen in downstairs and a stackable washer/dryer upstairs so the spaces can be completely separate. There are worse fates.When I go to work after a couple days off, it's relaxing. I actually look forward to work days, especially if the days off have lots of chores involved - and there have been quite a few projects this summer. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Sadly, I want a family one day, so I'm going to have to figure out how to make a legitimate income again. I'm hoping that a couple years working at a bike shop will be the dues paying I need to figure out how to turn the bike industry into an actual career - but for now, it's fantastic. Sun seems brighter, fruit tastes better, beer goes down smoother, and I want nothing to do with the life I used to have/guy I used to be.

Good stuff Proninja. I'm working my way to your status from the other side. I have a wife and three kids right now, and I want to make enough dough where I can leave the corporate world and live like you. Living your life AND being financially secure would totally rock. A few more years to go...

You'll spend more time in your life working than doing anything else, except maybe sleeping. If you don't like your job you are probably not going to like your life all that much.

:yes: your job and who you marry are the two most important decisions you'll ever make. I'm blessed that I made lucky choices and wouldn't trade either. It helps that my job changes every couple years.

I did it. I had a pretty decent career progression going (which I was happy to tell anybody here about - ugh), but I was miserable, worked too much at jobs that, while I liked parts of them, weren't terribly well suited to me, which got really frustrating. So, about six months ago, I said sayonara to the medical device sales job, and went to work in a bike shop for less than my college job paid. I happen to love bikes, working on them, learning about them, etc. There are definitely sacrifices I've made. I have to rent the 3 bedrooms upstairs out to make my bills, as my mortgage/taxes/insurance/utilities are more than my take home. So, my new wife and I live in the downstairs, but it's basically like a 900 sqft apt. We're about to put a second kitchen in downstairs and a stackable washer/dryer upstairs so the spaces can be completely separate. There are worse fates.When I go to work after a couple days off, it's relaxing. I actually look forward to work days, especially if the days off have lots of chores involved - and there have been quite a few projects this summer. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Sadly, I want a family one day, so I'm going to have to figure out how to make a legitimate income again. I'm hoping that a couple years working at a bike shop will be the dues paying I need to figure out how to turn the bike industry into an actual career - but for now, it's fantastic. Sun seems brighter, fruit tastes better, beer goes down smoother, and I want nothing to do with the life I used to have/guy I used to be.

Good stuff Proninja. I'm working my way to your status from the other side. I have a wife and three kids right now, and I want to make enough dough where I can leave the corporate world and live like you. Living your life AND being financially secure would totally rock. A few more years to go...
:yes: I'm looking forward to retiring at 42, with a family but otherwise nary a care in the world.

Archived