Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***OFFICIAL*** FBG Gun Buyers Anonymous

On 1/30/2021 at 8:33 PM, scottybo said:

Just ordered a Canik TP9SFX and a Ruger EC9S. Finally did get my wife that EZ 9mm and she actually can rack the slide on this one...barely.

Might add a red dot to the Canik later to play with at the range. Those 20 round mags will be fun.

I bought the TP9SFX over the summer. I really like it. The 20 round mags are very fun. I'd like to find a couple of 18 round flush mags but they are very tough to come by right now. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wasn't going to chime in here, because I think 10-22s should be handed out like vaccines. Such an affordable, versatile, reliable, accurate and fun fun firearm. If a rifle is the answer, then I woul

If you don’t want to spend a lot, I have a Mossberg 500 pump action that you can get for around $360. It’s no frills and no nonsense.

Hard no on revolvers from me. Antiquated tech with bad ergonomics and badly limited capacity. Long, heavy double-action trigger pull that leads to jerking/slapping the trigger and innacuracy

4 hours ago, Spanky267 said:

I bought the TP9SFX over the summer. I really like it. The 20 round mags are very fun. I'd like to find a couple of 18 round flush mags but they are very tough to come by right now. 

Agreed. I can conceal the slide pretty easily, but the 20 round mag sticks out just a tad too far. I may do the same when I find some.

EC9s is incredibly comfortable at the 1:00 position. Never had one there, but that's where it feels best on a tucked shirt application.

Edited by scottybo
On 2/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, Spanky267 said:

Here's the ProMag version of the 18 round mag. Just bought two: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-canik-tp9-9mm-18-round-magazine.html

Just now, bcat01 said:

With the price of ammo that's about it right now.

I’ve been trying to get rifle ammo for 1.5 years. I guess I could club a deer over the head with my gun

11 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

So what’s the point of buying a gun?  Something to look at?

Depends whether you bought ammo before March/April I guess.

Edited by scottybo

Have 3000 rounds of 300 Blackout Subsonics (90cpr) and 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ (45cpr) being delivered by FedEx on Thursday.

2 of the 3 cases of 300BLK will be flipped on gunbroker at $2.25cpr. 1 will be shot by me. 

Have 3200 more rounds of 300 Blackout Subs on backorder... those will be flipped too. :unsure: 

Ammo is out there. Use ammoseek and be fast. Alerts to texts. Create accounts with all the big sites with CC info already stored. Etc. 

If you have a local academy sports, they have "truck days" 2-3x a week. Go before they open. You should get some ammo for a good retail price (although even they're climbing fast due to rising wholesale prices). 

Edited by [icon]
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Have 3000 rounds of 300 Blackout Subsonics (90cpr) and 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ (45cpr) being delivered by FedEx on Thursday.

2 of the 3 cases of 300BLK will be flipped on gunbroker at $2.25cpr. 1 will be shot by me. 

Have 3200 more rounds of 300 Blackout Subs on backorder... those will be flipped too. :unsure: 

Ammo is out there. Use ammoseek and be fast. Alerts to texts. Create accounts with all the big sites with CC info already stored. Etc. 

If you have a local academy sports, they have "truck days" 2-3x a week. Go before they open. You should get some ammo for a good retail price (although even they're climbing fast due to rising wholesale prices). 

Oops. Forgot to update mine. No way I'm getting any notifications for .30/rd 9mm anymore...

• Laughing 1

Got 24hr ban from Facebook for posting a link to a site that had some ammo. Was trying to help folks out. Zuck is out of control and clearly HUGELY anti-gun. #### Facebook. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

So what’s the point of buying a gun?  Something to look at?

Well, once you buy one it's like a virus that runs through your veins and you make 3+ impulse buys a year or so.

10 hours ago, scottybo said:

Oops. Forgot to update mine. No way I'm getting any notifications for .30/rd 9mm anymore...

Did get a notification for .50/rd .223 last night after updating. Nice. Seems promising.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, scottybo said:

I've been watching ammo prices on ammoseek for weeks. This is the first week I've seen a noticeable drop in prices all around. Pennies, but it's a drop.

More inventory hitting for sure

On 2/11/2021 at 6:41 AM, [icon] said:

Got 24hr ban from Facebook for posting a link to a site that had some ammo. Was trying to help folks out. Zuck is out of control and clearly HUGELY anti-gun. #### Facebook. 

I’m moving away from these sites that censor. No FB, no Twitter and I’m trying to get away from using YouTube. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having to send my VRPA40 back for repair. Hopefully my home defense go-to won't be gone for long. No clue what's up, but the pump moves freely and magazines won't lock-in. Really weird. Has to be something in the receiver. Thankfully RIA is taking care of shipping. Customer service isn't the fastest, but I'd assume most companies are bombarded lately.

After dealing with FFL's for the past 4 years...it feels wrong to just drop off my shotgun to FedEx.

Edited by scottybo
  • 3 weeks later...

Shortages
Shootings
Biden asking for gun control

Along with the insider buying there, I picked up some RGR this morning. Anyone with thoughts on other/better publicly traded companies to target in this space right now?

On 2/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, bcat01 said:

With the price of ammo that's about it right now.

There's an emerging market for less than lethal options ( i.e. Byrna pistols and pepperball systems)

I've seen some resurgence in black powder weapons as well.

Best value weapon right now might be a single barrel shotgun with separate insert adapters for different calibers. In a pinch, you can make homemade shotgun shells and standard shells are a lot easier to find compared to 9mm, 223, etc, etc.

At this point, it might be easier to get a HK 69 and modify a 40mm to work like a beehive round than to fill a plate carrier with a standard 223 loadout.

Have another 300BLK complete Aero lower waiting at my FFL. Hopefully they're not banned by the time I'm back in the country in 2 weeks. 

Interesting that there are rumblings the Colorado shooter is a Muslim extremist, left wing media adherent, BLM marcher, who seemingly targeted white people.... but we're not hearing much about it (not in the states and ignoring the news mostly)... this was per some buddies and seems to be here say at this point. 

I haven't watched TV in a month so I wouldn't know. :lol: 

Edited by [icon]
13 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Have another 300BLK complete Aero lower waiting at my FFL. Hopefully they're not banned by the time I'm back in the country in 2 weeks. 

Interesting that the Colorado shooter is a Muslim extremist, left wing media adherent, BLM marcher, who seemingly targeted white people.... but we're not hearing much about it... per some buddies. 

I haven't watched TV in a month so I wouldn't know. :lol: 

So far what I have seen says mostly the suspect is a 21 year old,  born in Syria, lived most of his life in US, high school wrestler, with anger issues. Some family say they think he was suffering from paranoia and possibly other mental illness. And he bought the gun 6 days ago. (NY Times, network news sites]

I’m sure more will come to light, but right now I haven’t seen anything to confirm most of what your buddies have said.

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Don't spread misinformation when you don't know what you're talking about. He's a muslim. At least that much appears to be correct.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
wine

70 Windowed Gen 3 PMAG's ordered @ ~$15ea via military discount.

Had an additional 160 boxes (3200 rounds) of Subsonic 300BLK delivered a few weeks ago. 

Let's call it a hedge. :popcorn: 

Edited by [icon]
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 9:38 PM, [icon] said:

Buddy was moving this high end AAC 9" 300BLK Upper for $800 so I grabbed it.

Not sure on the plan just yet :unsure: 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, [icon] said:

Upper is a the gunsmith getting cerakoted to match the FDE Aero Lower.

Slapped an FDE Tailhook Mod 2 brace and Have a Holosun 510C and a SilencerCo ASR Flash Hider on the way for now.  

Will be my second 300BLK Shorty so may end up selling one or adjusting my first 8.5" build a bit. Will see. 

9MM now under $0.50/rd regularly

.223 now under $0.60/rd regularly

Only two calibers that have dropped and held "closer to normal" prices lately.

.380 is still the most expensive of the top pistol calibers at $0.89/rd.

Edited by scottybo
  • Like 1

Full on heavy duty First Spear Strandhogg plate carrier with allllllll the extras and MIL/LEO plates for about $700

these are used but if you're in the market it ain't gonna get better than this. A First Spear Strandhogg plate carrier alone is $600ish, the backpack is $300ish, the plates are a grand... etc etc 

@[icon]Im looking for a good varmint rifle for slaughtering the squirrels and groundhogs that are ravaging the wives garden. I was going to buy a Hatsan Vectis PCP rifle but by the time I buy the air pump and some ammo I’m >$500 and that’s insane. 

Got any recommendations? Currently looking at some old M1-Carbines cause they’re dope.

Budget is ~$500 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
51 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

@[icon]Im looking for a good varmint rifle for slaughtering the squirrels and groundhogs that are ravaging the wives garden. I was going to buy a Hatsan Vectis PCP rifle but by the time I buy the air pump and some ammo I’m >$500 and that’s insane. 

Got any recommendations? Currently looking at some old M1-Carbines cause they’re dope.

Budget is ~$500 

So you're looking for a actual firearm since the air rifles are too pricey? Or you're looking for a better air rifle that's not over $500? 

If looking for an actual firearm, can you confirm you can shoot it on the property in question? 

Honestly an AR-platform 22lr like this (not necessarily this) would be what I'd go with. Highly modular and accurate, effective varmint round, cheap as hell to shoot, etc. 

Edited by [icon]
28 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So you're looking for a actual firearm since the air rifles are too pricey? Or you're looking for a better air rifle that's not over $500? 

If looking for an actual firearm, can you confirm you can shoot it on the property in question? 

Honestly an AR-platform 22lr like this (not necessarily this) would be what I'd go with. Highly modular and accurate, effective varmint round, cheap as hell to shoot, etc. 

Id rather buy an actual firearm. I can shoot on my property. 

I have two ARs already and just want something different. 

17 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

I have two ARs already and just want something different. 

Gotcha. If you have ARs already then a simple 22lr bolt/mag conversion kit would get ya covered. Super easy to install and then you've got a more suitable varmint round. 

23 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Go simple.  Henry lever action .22 with subsonics.  As quiet as an air rifle too.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Looking for something different. Thank you though. 

Gotcha. 

With a budget of $500 you're not going to get much in the world of firearms. Talking varmint I'm pretty sure your ideal round is 22... much else is going to be overkill. 

If you didn't want to go AR platform a 22 takedown could be in line with what you're looking for. A buddy of mine uses it for squirrels. 

Good luck and have fun with whatever ya roll with 🤙🏼

6 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Gotcha. 

With a budget of $500 you're not going to get much in the world of firearms. Talking varmint I'm pretty sure your ideal round is 22... much else is going to be overkill. 

If you didn't want to go AR platform a 22 takedown could be in line with what you're looking for. A buddy of mine uses it for squirrels. 

Good luck and have fun with whatever ya roll with 🤙🏼

Yeah something like that is perfect. I can read reviews and watch videos all day but I always prefer taking to real people who have real experience. 

It’s mostly for squirrels. Rats in tuxedos. 

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
  • Laughing 1

I was going to recommend the Ruger 10-22 as well. There's lots of different customizing options and excessories. With the right ammo, they can be competition-grade accurate as well, up to 100 meters or so. I've used them in competition (scoped, offhand silhouette shooting up to 110 meters). With the right ammo (and not always high-priced stuff, you just have to test out different brands and even different lots within brands), they will shoot an inch or less grouping at that distance. Much tighter within 50 meters. Besides, that, they are just fun guns to shoot and plink around with. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

I was going to recommend the Ruger 10-22 as well. There's lots of different customizing options and excessories. With the right ammo, they can be competition-grade accurate as well, up to 100 meters or so. I've used them in competition (scoped, offhand silhouette shooting up to 110 meters). With the right ammo (and not always high-priced stuff, you just have to test out different brands and even different lots within brands), they will shoot an inch or less grouping at that distance. Much tighter within 50 meters. Besides, that, they are just fun guns to shoot and plink around with. 

Yeah Ive been watching videos all morning. Great platform. Stopped by our local Bass Pro and they didn't have any (places is always wiped out), but thats nothing new. I found another spot that has two that Ill stop by tomorrow to look at. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Yeah Ive been watching videos all morning. Great platform. Stopped by our local Bass Pro and they didn't have any (places is always wiped out), but thats nothing new. I found another spot that has two that Ill stop by tomorrow to look at. 

Check out http://gun.deals
Cabellas has some models in stock that can be shipped to your local store. Also helps if you have a local FFL if you want to order online. 

• Thanks 1

I wasn't going to chime in here, because I think 10-22s should be handed out like vaccines. Such an affordable, versatile, reliable, accurate and fun fun firearm. If a rifle is the answer, then I would look no further unless I really wanted to test the range of 22lr. Then an even cheaper bolt action by Marlin or Mossberg would interest me because the savings could go into a decent scope. So below is a little safety information and reminiscing from someone whose brought 1000+ squirrels to ground - tl/dr.

In the mid-80s, my college gf and I moved a few clicks out of party town to focus on graduating. We found a vacant foreman's cottage down a dirt road 400 yards into 1200 acres of Almonds. So peaceful and amazing for us kiddos. Squirrels were a financial problem to the landlord. Part of his included furnishings was an ancient break action single shot Winchester 12g mounted to the wall above a reloading bench with years worth of supplies. In one drawer a Colt Hunstman 22lr target pistol with boxes and boxes of ammo. Yup, he walked his trees with a shotty and a pistol. Bit different than the thinking here, but this was serious business. My pops was world class on clays and reloaded 45acp for his military issue 1911s, so we got on great. Walked the north 40 before signing the lease. Me with his supplied kit, him with a Buckmark and a beautiful Browning over and under 20g. He offered .50 a pelt against the $600 rent. In an hour he beat me 12-4. Dude could spot squirrels behind the leaves, but I just saw a quick $8 off the rent, and a hella good time - especially the pistol! Ya know how squirrels circle tree trunks to hide. We'd cover both sides and the squirrel had to choose his maker. lol. Fun.

Squirrel thighs are seriously delicious, btw. 

Easily over 90% of the harvest for a couple years was with one shotty or another. Pistols and rifles cannot safely be fired up into trees where you will spot or send 60-80% of squirrels. So the 10-22 limits you to ground and trunk level hunting, as does a pistol. Squirrels will sometimes freeze or sit posed for your rifle or pistol, but just as often they present moving targets that require a shotgun. The landlord called it hillbilly wing shooting. Only chance for big harvests/eradication is with a shotgun. Not one with a stubby 18 inch tactical barrel. 24 would be the shortest, 26/28 ideal.

Benelli Novas come in at $400, and are an excellent choice.

Winchester SXP will do the same job and save a couple bucks.

I prefer semi-autos, and a Mossberg 930 with 26" barrel would be my choice. They can be found under 500, sometimes. I have two. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chaos Commish said:

haha... you would love it if you didn't know what it was. seriously, not the cliche, tastes like chicken, but sweet and nutty. not gamey at all. better than deer, elk, pheasant, quail, duck, etc. 

many americans consider squirrel the best meat in the woods

I wonder if it has been in some Brunswick Stew that I have eaten in the past. 😦

Recently came into possession of three guns from an estate in CA. A Ruger Mini-14, Kimber Pro Carry II and a Ruger SP101 along with an Armageddon load of ammo for said guns. I am in CA closing estate, I live in SC. Getting the guns home isn't a problem, ammo a little more difficult but I think I can ship it via UPS Customer Center. 

Anybody familiar with shipping ammo? I have boxes for the loose rounds already. Also have a question about the guns themselves. As far as I know they are registered with the previous owner but can't verify and don't want to look too hard. As an inheritance, I don't think I need to do anything more but am I obligated to register them in SC when I get them home? Bit of a noob here looking for so direction. TIA

17 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Anybody familiar with shipping ammo? I have boxes for the loose rounds already. Also have a question about the guns themselves. As far as I know they are registered with the previous owner but can't verify and don't want to look too hard. As an inheritance, I don't think I need to do anything more but am I obligated to register them in SC when I get them home? Bit of a noob here looking for so direction. TIA

You don't have to register guns in SC.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Recently came into possession of three guns from an estate in CA. A Ruger Mini-14, Kimber Pro Carry II and a Ruger SP101 along with an Armageddon load of ammo for said guns. I am in CA closing estate, I live in SC. Getting the guns home isn't a problem, ammo a little more difficult but I think I can ship it via UPS Customer Center. 

No issues shipping those calibers through ups ground. There is a weight limit, 66lbs if I recall, so if the Armageddon supply is bigger than that... lol. It can't be. And you can't just do a drop off. Need to go to post office, tell them what you got. They'll stick a hazmat sticker on it and off it goes. Most states make you sign, some make you pick it up at local post office, SC may just leave it on your porch.

Nice haul, btw. My love hate relationship with the ranch rifle is documented in the thread. The 1911 is just fantastic. 

• Like 1

You can ship Ammo but it's heavy/expensive. You'd be much better to drive with it if you're driving. 

If you must ship, you can do legally with ORM-D via UPS. Or you can just ship it and not claim it as Ammo... which I've  "heard" that "people" do all the time :unsure: 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, [icon] said:

You can ship Ammo but it's heavy/expensive. You'd be much better to drive with it if you're driving. 

If you must ship, you can do legally with ORM-D via UPS. Or you can just ship it and not claim it as Ammo... which I've  "heard" that "people" do all the time :unsure: 

ORM D is no longer used as of Jan 2021. They just limit how much you can ship.  Still supposed to claim it as ammo. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, dnurk said:

ORM D is no longer used as of Jan 2021. They just limit how much you can ship.  Still supposed to claim it as ammo. 

Ahhhh I don't claim it so I didn't know. 

Packaging properly is huge. I'd say at least HALF the cases of ammo I've had delivered from retailers has been damaged in some way shape or form... with several blowing up bad enough to lose a chunk of rounds. 

• Like 1