What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grab and stash RB (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
I have open roster spot and I see some backup RBs on the waiver wire that could hold some value down the road. Trouble is, none of them get any touches right now but could if the starter ahead of them gets hurt. Who should I target out of this bunch that has the most likely chance of starting down the line?

Rashard Jennings (has talent, but MJD is a workhorse and plays through pain)

Bernard Scott (Benson is a workhorse who doesn't seem to miss much time and complains about his lack of workload)

James Starks (let's be real here - we have no idea about his pass protection and that is crucial in GB)

Keliand Williams (with Portis soon to be IR, Torain can't carry the load and is an injury risk - but don't know much about this guy)

Javon Ringer (CJ is pretty durable, but his workload is alarming)

Anthony Dixon (Gore is a workhorse and Westbrook is still around)

any others?

Who should I roster? Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Jackson might be available and he's the starter now.

I don't think hoping for an injury is much of a strategy. Jackson is a starter right now.

If it for luxury purposes I would be inclined to pick up and sit on Ringer out of that group. Solid offense that is run heavy.

IMO in this order as all three have looked very good with their limited touches:

Ringer- if CJ goes down Ringer becomes an instant bell cow RB on a run heavy team and he will also start getting more looks with CJ still in there as they would like to limit CJ's workload

Dixon- Gore has a history of injuries and SF wants to pound the rock

Scott- If Benson goes down I think Scott would only be the lead dog in a RBBC and Cinn would go to the air more

You could handcuff your starters. Who are they?

If you pick up say Ringer, and your main guy goes down but Johnson doesn't then Ringer won't help you much.

If Snelling and Ward not listed, its between Jennings and Ringer imho (Ive liked Jennings for yrs now it seems) fwiw Starks is probably a lottery ticket

Forsett have any worth as a stash?

B jackson might have been dropped to waivers

Khun might have as well

I dumped portis and am in the same situation.

This is how I've broken down my league in short hand:

D. Ward/S. Slaton backs up A. Foster

T. Gerhart backs up A. Peterson

J. Ringer backs up C. Johnson

T. Choice backs up M. Barber/F. Jones

R. Jennings backs up MJD

K. Huggins/L. Blount backs up C. Williams

A. Dixon backs up F. Gore

D. Brown/M. Hart backs up J. Addai

K. Smith backs up J. Best

M. Moore backs up R. Mendenhall

J. Davis backs up P. Hillis

M. Bell backs up L. McCoy

J. Starks backs up B. Jackson/J. Kuhn

W. McGahee backs up R. Rice

Some of these are judgement calls, I've left out the guys that aren't available in my league. And these are the guys I left out because I already own them:

M. Tolbert

J. Snelling

L. Blount

Also, they are not in order of value.

Jon

Forsett have any worth as a stash?B jackson might have been dropped to waiversKhun might have as wellI dumped portis and am in the same situation.
I dropped Forsett yesterday. He wasn't doing anything being the starter and now he's got Lynch to contend with. He's got a very low upside with that line on that offense regardless of the schedule (see what he did last week vs. St. Louis).

Sorry I should have put them in the order I am going to pick them up, in the event that something goes down:

D. Ward/S. Slaton backs up A. Foster

J. Ringer backs up C. Johnson

A. Dixon backs up F. Gore

D. Brown/M. Hart backs up J. Addai

T. Gerhart backs up A. Peterson

R. Jennings backs up MJD

K. Huggins/L. Blount backs up C. Williams

T. Choice backs up M. Barber/F. Jones

K. Smith backs up J. Best

M. Moore backs up R. Mendenhall

J. Davis backs up P. Hillis

M. Bell backs up L. McCoy

J. Starks backs up B. Jackson/J. Kuhn

W. McGahee backs up R. Rice

If you're just looking for dark horses, I picked up Nance this morning. No reason not to triple down on the fantasy disaster that has been GBs backfield this season.

Chris Ivory available? he would be my first choice for what you are looking for

Blount would be next and then I would revert to

Ringer or Jennings (in that order)

Abstract said:
I haven't noticed Spiller's name on anyone's list. Is he worth stashing?
I haven't played in any league where he wasn't rostered. In keeper leagues, nobody is quick to drop a first round running back.

Nobody seems to be showing interest in Keiland Williams, in deep leagues I think he may be most available.

If the Reggie Bush owner cut bait when he got injured and you can wait 4 - 5 more weeks.
His injury time was listed at 4-6 weeks (coming back week 6-8) and he has said he will be back sooner. If he is on your WW (crazy in my mind) you should get him. You may only need to wait 1-2 more weeks.

If the Reggie Bush owner cut bait when he got injured and you can wait 4 - 5 more weeks.
His injury time was listed at 4-6 weeks (coming back week 6-8) and he has said he will be back sooner. If he is on your WW (crazy in my mind) you should get him. You may only need to wait 1-2 more weeks.
I like Reggie and all but he had 7 & 9 offensive touches in his first two games. I am not sure it is reasonable to expect anything more than that if/when he comes back.In a return yardage league he has more value but otherwise I am not sure how rosterable he really is.

Nance and DJ Ware in deeper leagues. Starks, Huggins, and Keiland Williams are still on the radar. Joq Bell and Parmele may be worth stashes digging deeper still. Shallow leagues Tolbert is the new Turner sitting behind LT although Mathews is not proven yet. It's ashame Maroney hasn't looked good because No Show Moreno hasn't looked good even when he could see the field.

Running backs coach Edgar Bennett indicated that Dimitri Nance will be ready to handle the Packers offense if called upon this week.

Concerns about Nance picking up the blocking scheme led to his deactivation in Week 3 and a special teams role in Week 4. He's unlikely to see more than a handful of touches, if any, against the Redskins on Sunday.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

I don't see why Huggins isn't more in the conversation. He is a prime stash candidate with nothing but upside at this point, assuming no one in your league has been holding him all year to begin with. And if you have an IR spot and he's still listed on Friday's injury report, you can stash him there and still pick up one of the others. Though I have been out of town and don't know Huggins' up-to-date status.

I don't see why Huggins isn't more in the conversation. He is a prime stash candidate with nothing but upside at this point, assuming no one in your league has been holding him all year to begin with. And if you have an IR spot and he's still listed on Friday's injury report, you can stash him there and still pick up one of the others. Though I have been out of town and don't know Huggins' up-to-date status.
Blount > Huggins

Sorry I should have put them in the order I am going to pick them up, in the event that something goes down:J. Starks backs up B. Jackson/J. Kuhn
Just a heads up, Starks is on PUP until at least week 7 and hasn't taken a snap since 2008. Heading into week 5, he's yet to put on pads after suffering "a major hamstring pull" in the offseason. I have him and Nance stashed for the future, but Nance is already the #3 behind Kuhn and Jackson and it doesn't sound like Starks is going to be ready to contribute for quite a while if at all this season. Stash Nance & Blount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I should have put them in the order I am going to pick them up, in the event that something goes down:D. Ward/S. Slaton backs up A. FosterJ. Ringer backs up C. JohnsonA. Dixon backs up F. GoreD. Brown/M. Hart backs up J. AddaiT. Gerhart backs up A. PetersonR. Jennings backs up MJDK. Huggins/L. Blount backs up C. WilliamsT. Choice backs up M. Barber/F. JonesK. Smith backs up J. BestM. Moore backs up R. MendenhallJ. Davis backs up P. HillisM. Bell backs up L. McCoyJ. Starks backs up B. Jackson/J. KuhnW. McGahee backs up R. Rice
Isaac Redman (Not MM)J.Harrison Still in Mix

Blount is about to start getting the majority of the carries. He took all the first team reps in practice last week. Huggins is more of a third down guy right now.

Blount is about to start getting the majority of the carries. He took all the first team reps in practice last week. Huggins is more of a third down guy right now.
I think "right now" is the operative word here and maybe Blount is the guy for the moment. The thread was about looking for someone to stash and I'm looking at/thinking about who has the potential to have a Harrison-like impact in Weeks 13-16 this year. I think Huggins has a good chance to be that guy. When he finally gets in a game and has 10 yards on 11 carries, or something like that, and never sees the field again, then we can re-evaluate, but as far as upside goes, for little cost at this stage in the season, I think Huggins fits the bill, right now.

Link?

Blount > Huggins
Care to elaborate or just stirring the pot? I am considering picking up one of the two. TIA
At this point I think Blount is more in line with what the Bucs want to do on 1st and 2nd down, power football. I see Huggins as more of a COP/3rd down back.
Seems to be pretty much industry wide consensus..Huggins has great straight line speed, very few moves, none existent blocking ability, and has yet to show he can break tackles..

Blount has decent speed, great at breaking tackles, Good inside runner, plays hard, and is VERY likely a better blocker then Huggins..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think "right now" is the operative word here and maybe Blount is the guy for the moment. The thread was about looking for someone to stash and I'm looking at/thinking about who has the potential to have a Harrison-like impact in Weeks 13-16 this year. I think Huggins has a good chance to be that guy. When he finally gets in a game and has 10 yards on 11 carries, or something like that, and never sees the field again, then we can re-evaluate, but as far as upside goes, for little cost at this stage in the season, I think Huggins fits the bill, right now.
Huggins has better speed then Blount but Blount isn't slow, I have a hard time understanding why you'd think that Blount could be the guy to have right now, but that Huggins is the future.. Unless Blount is a bust, how is Huggins going to take the job without being able to block or break tackles?Blount translates better as an NFL every down RB then Huggins.. Huggins is destine to be a COP who only starts when the #1 guy is down... I can't picture him as a career every down back..

Link?
This is a link from the Caddy/Blount/Huggins post.http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bu...carries/1125973

In terms of guys who could truly emerge later in the season with large roles and potentially excel, these are the ones I like the most to stash:

Blount

Ware

Starks

TS Garp said:
In terms of guys who could truly emerge later in the season with large roles and potentially excel, these are the ones I like the most to stash:

Blount

Ware

Starks
Good call.

TS Garp said:

Blount

Ware

Starks
Good call.
Danny Ware? Why?
I was just about to post Ware, so I'll tell you my reasoning. While he looks great, Bradshaw has had some injury history. If he were to get hurt, I have serious doubts about Jacobs. His speed looks to have eroded and he hasn't hit the holes this year very well. Plus, his attitude stinks. Ware is a sizable back with some good skills who could carry the load in the cold months. I've been stashing him quite a bit, especially if I have Bradshaw.

TS Garp said:

Blount

Ware

Starks
Good call.
Danny Ware? Why?
Bradshaw's banged up already. He played through it last year, but who knows if he'll be able to all season. Jacobs is in Coughlin's dog house and just isn't that great anymore. Ware has a lot of potential and would immediately step into a great situation if Bradshaw's out. It's one to watch carefully, given the injury history of the backs in front of him.

James Starks will get a chance. That's all you can ask for. And the guys in front of him... not good.

TS Garp said:

Blount

Ware

Starks
Good call.
Danny Ware? Why?
Bradshaw's banged up already. He played through it last year, but who knows if he'll be able to all season. Jacobs is in Coughlin's dog house and just isn't that great anymore. Ware has a lot of potential and would immediately step into a great situation if Bradshaw's out. It's one to watch carefully, given the injury history of the backs in front of him.
I used to think this way as well but when was the last time Ware stayed healthy? He's been playing in a VERY limited role the last few years and he ends up as banged up as Bradshaw and Jacobs (how many concussions has he had?). I'd hate to have to rely on him if he got the #1 role.

Some examples from over last season and this preseason...

Giants | Danny Ware injured Saturday

Comment (0)

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:20:45 -0700

New York Giants RB Danny Ware (concussion) suffered a concussion during the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 21, and will not return to the game, reports Bart Hubbuch, of the New York Post.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/16208/nfl#ixzz11rd3HWeO

Giants | Not counting on Ware in Week 17

Comment (0)

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:12:08 -0800

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said RB D.J. Ware (concussion) can not be counted on in the team's season finale in Week 17. "Of course he had the unfortunate incident at the very beginning of the season. Then he came back and got nicked again. So he really hasn't had the time or the extended - to be honest with you, in special teams when he was back, he didn't do much. He didn't provide us with a lot. And Gartrell (Johnson), when given the chance, flies around. So Danny is – we are trying to make him understand a lot of things about consistency and about what our expectation levels are, no matter what spot we are in. And hopefully he is going to learn that," Coughlin said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/16208/nfl#ixzz11rdBnui

Giants | Ware ruled out for Week 13

Comment (0)

Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:57:39 -0800

Jenny Vrentas, of The Star-Ledger, reports New York Giants RB DJ Ware (concussion) has been ruled out for Week 13. The Giants medical staff has been cautious with Ware since he suffered a concussion in Week 12.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/16208/nfl/news#ixzz11rduKTKD

Giants | Ware out at least two weeks

Comment (0)

Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:28:35 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said RB Danny Ware (elbow) will miss two weeks and then will be considered day-to-day after suffering a dislocated elbow in Week 1.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player.php/16208/nfl/news#ixzz11rdjdDX1

Users who are viewing this thread