What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY WATCH. Stash this guy away ASAP (1 Viewer)

shut it down

Footballguy
Kid looks like the real deal. I could see him going as high as the 10th or 11th in the 2014 draft:

Two-footed Georgia placekicker creating quite a stir

By Cameron Smith

In a game between Brookwood (Ga.) High and Central Gwinnett (Ga.) High earlier this year, Erick Yang booted his first three kickoffs through the end zone. In fact, the right-footer hit one so hard that it sailed through the uprights for what would have been a 75-yard field goal, if the kick counted. Fittingly, Central Gwinnett's return men were surprised later when one of Yang's kickoffs only made it to the 15-yard line. It turns out there was a good reason for the shorter kick: Yang booted the ball with his left foot, not his right.

That's right, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Brookwood's kicker is ambipedal ... or two-footed, if you prefer. Yang, who never played football before the opening kickoff of Brookwood's 2010 season at the Georgia Dome, has connected on field goals beyond 30 yards with his left foot in practice, according to Brookwood coach Mark Crews, not to mention his kickoff which travelled 55 yards.

[Video: The year's most unique field goal]

"I kick a football the same way I kick a soccer ball," Yang told the Journal-Constitution. "I've been playing soccer my whole life, so it was an easy thing for me. ...

"Kicking left and right foot is about the same, but my left foot is a lot weaker than my right foot."

That said, Yang told the Journal-Constitution's Michael Carvell in a separate interview that he's hit from well beyond 30 yards with his left foot when he wasn't in a game.

"Maybe 45 yards," Yang told Carvell. "I don't know, I'm not good enough with that foot yet."

[Video: Soccer skills also come in handy for basketball dunk]

Luckily, Yang has his even stronger right foot to rely on, and the kicker has truly turned heads with that. He reportedly has connected from 60 yards in practice when kicking right-footed, and there's little question that Brookwood's coach would turn to his kicker for a deep shot if he needed one.

"Eric has been kicking the football seriously for about seven to eight weeks," Crews told Carvell earlier this season. "In my 35 years of coaching, I've never seen someone kick it as far as he does."

[Related: Ohio girl doubles as homecoming queen and star kicker on same night]

While it may still be Yang's first season booting balls through the end zone, he's had so much fun that he's completely open to a future in college football.

"I never knew football would be so much fun," Yang told the Journal-Constitution. "Yes, I'd love to play college football. I just find football more exciting than soccer. There are more people at the games, and I love the adrenaline rush."
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/pr...ghschool-278339

For a while now, I've thought that the "hobby" of fantasy football has been nearing the edge of the cliff of insanity.

Today, it has truly fallen over.

I'm more surprised that soccer goalies don't become punters/field goal kickers. Some of them can kick a soccer ball 60-70 yards from the ground not on a tee and some of their punts go easily 70 yards as well.

It would be cooler if he could punt and kick. Save a roster spot. What's the benefit to kicking with both feet?

dude if he can dunk, that means he's athletic. shades of danny white? BUt seriously, in leagues with yardage bonuses, a guy who gets shots at and makes 60 and even 70 yard field goals, would be money. Not to mention what that would do for your field position. Add to that some razzle dazzle/onsides, weird formation problems caused by dude running up to kick of righty and then just rolls it, pops it left. Hell even boots it left. If all the players are expecting the kick to come one direction, I imagine something like that could mess things up too.

hows' the accuracy?

Sebowski said:
It would be cooler if he could punt and kick. Save a roster spot. What's the benefit to kicking with both feet?
IN CASE SOMEONE STEPS ON ONE FOOT AND HE INJURED HE CAN STILL KICK WITH OTHER FOOT.

Sebowski said:
Hash marks down?
Let's not think too hard about this. If he even makes the NFL, they'll have him concentrate on a single foot to be the best he can at one.
I admire your ability to think clearly at a time like this. I can barely control myself. You're right. We need to step back. Slow down a little.

Adebisi said:
PolishNorbi said:
I'm more surprised that soccer goalies don't become punters/field goal kickers.
Pretty sure it's because soccer players are pansies.
Amazing insight here. I can tell you really know what you're talking about, well done!

Adebisi said:
PolishNorbi said:
Have you ever even played soccer? The sport can be brutal. Don't think there aren't any vicious hits or tackles. If you are ignorant about the sport, it would be in your best interest to remain silent.Soccer Injuries

There's no way to know if he'll be confident by the time he can be drafted and kickers are useless without confidence. There's been a ton of good college Ks and even (statistically) better HS kickers that never amounted to anything in the NFL. A quality NFL kicker is a rare breed-his mental makeup is something that few people possess and can also maintain for many years. Too often fans forget that just a few Ks make the NFL every year and there's thousands in college. They all have good strong legs.

Re punters, I agree with the soccer analogy. Separately, Australian football players started to come to the NFL and a few of them rocketed some punts in preseason or practice like 80 yards or somesuch. By the time the games came they seemed to lose some part of their game. I remember one TV guy (Al Michaels?) simply pointing out that it's not as fun for them. They kick all the time in soccer and then go to kicking once every so many plays and if they're on the field it's actually a bad thing for the offense. Then it gets back to confidence and mental-makeup again.

Adebisi said:
PolishNorbi said:
Have you ever even played soccer? The sport can be brutal. Don't think there aren't any vicious hits or tackles. If you are ignorant about the sport, it would be in your best interest to remain silent.Soccer Injuries
Slow down. It's soccer.

There's no way to know if he'll be confident by the time he can be drafted and kickers are useless without confidence. There's been a ton of good college Ks and even (statistically) better HS kickers that never amounted to anything in the NFL. A quality NFL kicker is a rare breed-his mental makeup is something that few people possess and can also maintain for many years. Too often fans forget that just a few Ks make the NFL every year and there's thousands in college. They all have good strong legs.Re punters, I agree with the soccer analogy. Separately, Australian football players started to come to the NFL and a few of them rocketed some punts in preseason or practice like 80 yards or somesuch. By the time the games came they seemed to lose some part of their game. I remember one TV guy (Al Michaels?) simply pointing out that it's not as fun for them. They kick all the time in soccer and then go to kicking once every so many plays and if they're on the field it's actually a bad thing for the offense. Then it gets back to confidence and mental-makeup again.
at the same time good solid K's are awesome. Hell the lions spent a 2nd round pick on jason hanson 15 years ago and were mercilessly laughed at for it. It retrospect some could argue it's on of their better draft picks of a guy not named sanders in the last 30 years.

Sebowski said:
Hash marks down?
Let's not think too hard about this. If he even makes the NFL, they'll have him concentrate on a single foot to be the best he can at one.
Why? If you had a guy who bat 300. left and 240 right you don't think it would behoove you to develop the other as well?The fact that his 'kicking style' is unorthodox (ie soccer style and not 'nfl prototype' style) is interesting. It could likely mean that he could be even more sneaky with his approach on a fake right deep kick that actually is a onside with the left foot kickoffs. I mean he is a kicker, how much else does he have to work on in the week :thanks:

Sebowski said:
Two words:Russell Erxleben. First round draft pick of the New Orleans Saints. Set the NCAA record for longest field goal ever, was one of the nation's leading punters. He was the Saints kicker AND punter.Kicked barefoot too. (Let's see Yang do that).

Sebowski said:
Hash marks down?
Why? If you had a guy who bat 300. left and 240 right you don't think it would behoove you to develop the other as well?
No.

PolishNorbi said:
I'm more surprised that soccer goalies don't become punters/field goal kickers. Some of them can kick a soccer ball 60-70 yards from the ground not on a tee and some of their punts go easily 70 yards as well.
That never seems to work out for whatever reason. I remember Tony Meola was with the Jets one preseason, and someone in my league drafting him with his last pick.

Why are we talking about a High School kicker? I mean, in most leagues, the top kickers are STILL virtually worthless...so why would anyone talk about "stashing" one? :thumbup:

Why are we talking about a High School kicker? I mean, in most leagues, the top kickers are STILL virtually worthless...so why would anyone talk about "stashing" one? :goodposting:
I would assume that most of the people in this thread are just kidding around; at least that's what I'd like to think.

i have him stashed away on my high school developmental dynasty league.

50th round pick :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
this thread is interesting, coming from an OP with the name "shut it down."

because I don't see a lot of relevance in a kicker 4 years down the road.

Sebowski said:
deadly onsides
This and only this. I kicked in High School, and I am ambipedal or whatever they call it. I could kick about the same distance with my right or left foot. I'm actually a lot like this kid, right down to the Asian last name and growing up in the south, except I couldn't kick nearly as far. My range was ~45 yards or so. I was more accurate left footed, so I took 95% of my FG's with my left foot. I'd take kick-offs with whichever one I felt like. The benefit was we had an on-sides kick play where we lined up a bunch to the right, and a few on the left, and I'd line up dead center over the ball. I could kick to either side by changing my run-up accordingly. We only used it once, and it worked, but we still lost. The funny thing is, I learned to kick left footed because when I was a kid playign soccer, I used to always not stretch and pull my right quadricept, so I started kicking lefty and it just stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread