What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (2 Viewers)

I'm running with no backup QB right now. Fitz or bust. Scaring the hell out of me.

Upcoming schedule looks ok. Washington can't be as bad as what they looked like yesterday. Two days ago everyone was saying the WASH D was elite. 

Playoff weeks issues: Week 15 @BAL, week 16 @DAL. Not good at all. Note to self: Abandon TB passing game for playoffs.

I said this in other areas of the board, and possibly in this thread earlier.

Try and acquire Russell Wilson for the playoffs. I'm rolling with Fitzpatrick until  playoff time.

Wilson's schedule looks something like this -

WEEK 13 vs. SF

WEEK 14 vs. MIN

WEEK 15 @ SF

WEEK 16 vs. KC

Particularly weeks 15 -16.  The week 16 vs. KC  game might induce a bunch of guys to say something like "Wilson won me my championship this year" when its all over with.

You can still get Wilson "reasonably cheap" from many owners.

I detest carrying 2 QBs in my redraft leagues, as it just eats up precious bench real estate that my RB dart throws need to be inhabiting.  But this is a case where I don't want to drop Wilson so someone else can have him for that playoff stretch.

TZM

Used him this week but unsure how to proceed. I’ve been using, dropping and re-picking up Dalton and Big Ben all season. Tempted to just ride Fitz right now till the wheels come off 

Curious how other people feel. He got off to rough start last week and I thought he might get benched. But then he ended up with a solid day, fantasy-wise. I'm trying to decide if I should start him over Ben. How confident are people feeling this week?

Curious how other people feel. He got off to rough start last week and I thought he might get benched. But then he ended up with a solid day, fantasy-wise. I'm trying to decide if I should start him over Ben. How confident are people feeling this week?
I am in one league.  

I'd be shocked if he were to get benched. Winston more than played his way out of the lineup and eventually off the team. 

Fitz is at least a top-10 QB going forward, with possible top-3 upside. I'd prefer him to Big Ben this week. Washington lays eggs on defense whenever they face a real passing attack, as the Saints and Falcons have shown.

It’s not Fitz that makes me nervous cuz he’ll put up a bunch of points on this team with the weapons/system/lack of defense. It’s the coaching staff being indecisive that terrifies me. 

Winston will (without a doubt) play again this season. They are going to have to see whether they want to hold him.  I don't think the jury is in on that. But while they have a chance.... 
I keep hearing this but what are they really going to "see"? What does a few more games and data points really provide at this point? 

As of right now, he's out for Luck in my lineup. But leaning very strongly toward swapping him in based on the better matchup. But yeah, the benching thing is the biggest worry. Even last week, they could have easily benched him if he didn't score that second TD right before halftime.

I'd be shocked if he were to get benched. Winston more than played his way out of the lineup and eventually off the team. 

Fitz is at least a top-10 QB going forward, with possible top-3 upside. I'd prefer him to Big Ben this week. Washington lays eggs on defense whenever they face a real passing attack, as the Saints and Falcons have shown.
I'm playing Ben over him.  Hopefully they both roll...

Fitz is on a short leash.  He'll start until he has a poor game or if/when the Bucs lose again.  They're basically one loss away from being eliminated from playoff contention anyways.  After that it will be Winston for the rest of the season.  If Winston plays well down the stretch and gets some wins he may save Koetter's job and be the starter going into 2019.  If not I would expect they cut ties with all of them and start over. 

The owners prefer Winston.  They want him to succeed.  I don't know if they'll dictate that to a new coaching staff and GM though, or even be able to.  Your pool of people to pick from will likely shrink microscopically if they try to force Jameis on a new regime.

Fitz is on a short leash.  He'll start until he has a poor game or if/when the Bucs lose again.  They're basically one loss away from being eliminated from playoff contention anyways.  After that it will be Winston for the rest of the season.  If Winston plays well down the stretch and gets some wins he may save Koetter's job and be the starter going into 2019.  If not I would expect they cut ties with all of them and start over. 

The owners prefer Winston.  They want him to succeed.  I don't know if they'll dictate that to a new coaching staff and GM though, or even be able to.  Your pool of people to pick from will likely shrink microscopically if they try to force Jameis on a new regime.
Don't they have some obscene injury clause in his contract?

I thought that had something to do with his benching, especially if they are out of the playoffs

Don't they have some obscene injury clause in his contract?

I thought that had something to do with his benching, especially if they are out of the playoffs
They've already picked up his 2019 5th year option.  It's only guaranteed for an injury suffered in 2018 though.  If he starts the final 6 or 7 games and continues to play horribly the Bucs can walk away after the season assuming he doesn't suffer a debilitating injury while playing.  The fear of injury would be the only reason not to start him for those games once they're out of it.

If he bounces back and plays like he did at the end of last season and in the preseason this year maybe you want to give him one last hurrah in 2019 without a looming suspension hanging over his head.

There are a lot of talking heads and fans saying to just walk away, but there's a lot of talent on this offense.  It's not going to be easy to tell those guys to stick it out for a rookie, and there aren't a lot of veterans available either.  Best case scenario for Tampa is Jameis starts the last 6-7 games, plays well, and is ready to start fresh next season.

Curious if Fitz owners would take Brees over him if the cost was relatively cheap? I have an opportunity to do so.

Curious if Fitz owners would take Brees over him if the cost was relatively cheap? I have an opportunity to do so.
Not as long as he stands the chance of either getting the quick hook if he throws a bunch of INTs again or being replaced by Winston in the following game. You know that barring injury Brees will be starting the rest of the season.

Take Brees over Fitz?  Absolutely.  If only for piece of mind.  They both have high ceilings but Fitz floor is very low.  You feelin' lucky?
Not to turn this into the AC Forum, but I can trade Fitz/Howard/Collins for Brees/Gronk insurance. I have plenty of RB depth (Gurley/Conner/Mack/Chubb/A. Jones) so basically feel like it's Fitz for Brees.

I'd take it and run.  

This is coming from a Fitz owner.  I know what it feels like to have weekly Sunday anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take it and run.  

This is coming from a Fitz owner.  I know what it feels like to have weekly Sunday anxiety.
I remember looking at the box score last Sunday with TB down 35-7. Remember thinking, Fitz is done. And this after I had played Winston and he got yanked. Couldn't believe Fitz stayed in the game and went on to throw for 4 TDs.

C-Bound said:
Hope you made the right choice...
Hahaha...yes, I believe I did. I went back and forth and I do agree with much of what was said in this thread. I ended up starting Ben simply because I was playing someone who has Antonio Brown, and I didn't like the thought of potentially seeing him go off with my QB not reaping any rewards. I have Hopkins and Sanders off this week, so I wanted to get points where I could. I know...no one cares about my team. I was just answering the question.

Back to the topic at hand, I honestly don't know what to make of the Tampa Bay situation. I feel like in any given week, either QB could be the starter. And given how unpredictable they both can be, the uncertainty of who will start the game vs. who might finish it is what makes this such a struggle each week. I do think RF has some quality starts left in him this season...I just don't know which weeks they'll be.

C-Bound said:
Hope you made the right choice...
I definitely started Fitz over Ben :(
Also started Cam over Ben in another league :( :(  

I definitely started Fitz over Ben :(
Also started Cam over Ben in another league :( :(  
Good news is that Fitz can absolutely go off this week as well.  Bad news is he could be pulled mid game as discussed.  This is why I think if you have a 1A option, like most should, you should lean that way most weeks.  But its a tough call, for example, next week Ben@Jax or Fitz@NYG?  I'd actually lean Fitz there, but its a scary situation.

Good news is that Fitz can absolutely go off this week as well.  Bad news is he could be pulled mid game as discussed.  This is why I think if you have a 1A option, like most should, you should lean that way most weeks.  But its a tough call, for example, next week Ben@Jax or Fitz@NYG?  I'd actually lean Fitz there, but its a scary situation.
Koetter was sharply adamant last week at halftime that Jameis wasn’t playing. Doesn’t seem in the cards right away, unless Fitz throws 3 picks in a half and then you’re probably screwed anyways. 

Koetter was sharply adamant last week at halftime that Jameis wasn’t playing. Doesn’t seem in the cards right away, unless Fitz throws 3 picks in a half and then you’re probably screwed anyways. 
Which Fitz could totally do.

Have a feeling this week at home he's going to be fine. Could totally see him imploding though on a windy/cold day in the meadowlands.

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 29-of-41 passes for 403 yards, no touchdowns, and to interceptions in the Bucs' 16-3, Week 10 loss to the Redskins.

He added 35 rushing yards on eight scampers. The Bucs moved the ball with ease all afternoon, but the offense fell totally apart once it got deep into Redskins territory. FitzMagic lost a fumble on a sack on 2nd-and-goal from the two-yard line late in the fourth quarter after missing a wide-open Mike Evans on the previous play, spiking it at his feet. His first interception was an overthrow at the goal line over Chris Godwin's head, and the second was thrown right to the cornerback deep in Tampa's own end. The yards were great for Fitzpatrick, but nothing else went right. The Bucs will head on the road to face the Giants in Week 11.

Nov 11 - 4:09 PM

Fitz named the starter. And just when I was thinking a benching would be an excuse to get off this ride.

Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Buccaneers

Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Bucs' starter for Week 12 against the Giants.

Fitz had another turnover-marred debacle in Sunday's loss to the Redskins, but the Bucs believe he gives them their best chance to win. They may be right. The Bucs do not want to risk injury to Jameis Winston, whose 2019 team option is guaranteed for injury only. Fitz will have to go all the way off the rails for Winston to be re-inserted, which, let's be honest, is not a far-fetched scenario.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

very surprised he's starting... that being said i cant risk starting him in fantasy and have him get pulled in the first qtr

This is obviously a financial decisions by the owners who don't want to risk Jameis getting hurt.  If they didn't want to get rid of him they would be seeing what they have for the future.  The question is if he will have any trade value.  Jameis obviously had on & off the field issues, but you can't tell me he is unsalavgeable.  Watch him go to Gruden or New England and ball out.

This is obviously a financial decisions by the owners who don't want to risk Jameis getting hurt.  If they didn't want to get rid of him they would be seeing what they have for the future.  The question is if he will have any trade value.  Jameis obviously had on & off the field issues, but you can't tell me he is unsalavgeable.  Watch him go to Gruden or New England and ball out.
I disagree. The real question is how much power will the new HC have in 2019 imo.

I'm not sure if it will be easier to get a top tier HC candidate with Winston there or not. If it's a top tier guy you'd have to assume he'll have the power and the length of contract to bring in his own guy. If it's more of a place holder type HC decision(or dart throw) then maybe he won't have the long leash to develop a rookie and may want to work with Winston. The devil you know and all that. 

Fifth year option on Winston is guaranteed for injury only. I.e. if Winston tears a ligament the Bucs are down 21m
However, Winston has been active on game day, so if Fitz gets injured during the game Jameis is going in.  If they aren't playing him to avoid injury and want to send that message he should simply be inactive every week. 

Koetter's relationship with Jameis is broken.  There was a play in the Cleveland game where Jameis flat out ignored a call for a run, changed it to a pass, and took an awful sack.  The 4 INT game against the Bengals was the nail in that coffin. 

Koetter knows he's a lame duck, so he's going down with his guy, and it's Fitz.  It's the same reason he took back play calling last week.  He knows he's toast.  Might as well go out on his terms.  If they lose to the Giants this week with a similar performance to this past Sunday you'll probably see Monken as an interim head coach and Jameis back behind center.

However, Winston has been active on game day, so if Fitz gets injured during the game Jameis is going in.  If they aren't playing him to avoid injury and want to send that message he should simply be inactive every week. 

Koetter's relationship with Jameis is broken.  There was a play in the Cleveland game where Jameis flat out ignored a call for a run, changed it to a pass, and took an awful sack.  The 4 INT game against the Bengals was the nail in that coffin. 

Koetter knows he's a lame duck, so he's going down with his guy, and it's Fitz.  It's the same reason he took back play calling last week.  He knows he's toast.  Might as well go out on his terms.  If they lose to the Giants this week with a similar performance to this past Sunday you'll probably see Monken as an interim head coach and Jameis back behind center.
I thought Koetter was quoted after the game that he was thinking of going back to Winston.

Not saying your take is wrong, just hard to reconcile it with that comment from Koetter (plus the decision not to make Winston inactive).

I thought Koetter was quoted after the game that he was thinking of going back to Winston.

Not saying your take is wrong, just hard to reconcile it with that comment from Koetter (plus the decision not to make Winston inactive).
Sure.  He's not going to put it out there in the media that he doesn't trust him or their relationship is fractured.  A decision to make him inactive would come from the Glazers.  They're the ones on the hook for $21M if he gets hurt. 

Anyway, Fitz is back in there for one more week under the big top. 

No, sticking with Fitz, but I'm sure the leash is short.

Anyone cutting Fitz for best available QB(s) in waivers this week? After watching the NYG's spirited effort last night, I don't love the prospects of Fitz heading into the meadowlands against a re-juvinated Eli. A list of QBs available in my waivers:

* M. Mariota (@INDY) -- Great matchup. Luck and co move at a high pace. See a high scorer. GREAT playoff schedule.

* M. Trubisky (vs MN) -- Not a great matchup. Lot of hype but has he played anyone? Also has a GREAT playoff schedule.

* R. Wilson (vs GB) -- Matchup ok. Not sure I can trust the continued low volume/high rate of TDs. Again...GREAT playoff schedule.

And then there is the wildcard. L. Jackson. Harbaugh just indicated Flacco can play without practicing. If anyone's doing any reading you know that Balt has the best remaining schedule out there.

Likely a disastrous meltdown in the cold/wind of the Meadowlands. 
Exactly my fear.

Making plans accordingly. Actually may shoot for one of Trubisky/Mariota/Wilson in waiver round 1 and then cross fingers and hope to land L. Jackson on the second swing around.

Exactly my fear.

Making plans accordingly. Actually may shoot for one of Trubisky/Mariota/Wilson in waiver round 1 and then cross fingers and hope to land L. Jackson on the second swing around.
If that game script starts out poorly they will implode. 

What's the logic again of TB pulling Fitz during any game?  Their season is lost and they don't want to pay Winston.  What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread