What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (3 Viewers)

Tua might not see the field for quite a few weeks. 

In Mid November-Miami has B2B games vs the Jets with a bye week in between and then they face Cincinnati, that might be a ripe spot to drop in Tua and see what we got BUT I almost wish they would sit him all year and let him continue to heal up, I just am worried about him being out on that hip in under a year. 
This team isn't bad. They lost to two good squads, and made a game of it against the Bills. The playoffs should be within reach for the Dolphins until late in the year. It's not crazy they could make it with Fitzpatrick. He's the better quarterback right now from my view. If they are competing and winning games why should they take him out?

This team isn't bad. They lost to two good squads, and made a game of it against the Bills. The playoffs should be within reach for the Dolphins until late in the year. It's not crazy they could make it with Fitzpatrick. He's the better quarterback right now from my view. If they are competing and winning games why should they take him out?
Seemed like the right time to press this button 

I hope you're right as a Phinsfan but I don't see them winning more than a handful of games. They won't be playing Jacksonville most weeks, 4 of their next 5 are against the NFC West, they should post losses in all of them. 

Seemed like the right time to press this button 

I hope you're right as a Phinsfan but I don't see them winning more than a handful of games. They won't be playing Jacksonville most weeks, 4 of their next 5 are against the NFC West, they should post losses in all of them. 
Press this button instead.

Honestly I meant to type 'could make the playoffs' there instead of 'should'. Point stands they're not a bad team, probably 8-8 talent-wise.

Will his good play at QB over most of the last 14 games earn him a chance at a starting gig elsewhere, or a contract extension in Miami?  He's gonna be 38 in 2 months.
I think he’ll start somewhere else next year. Could be situation where team drafts QB high but not necessarily 

Dolphins coach Brian Flores said he "presumes" Ryan Fitzpatrick will start for Week 5 against the 49ers.

Flores made it clear that he hasn't decided the Dolphins' starter just yet since he still has to meet and talk with Tua Tagovailoa, who recovered from both injury and illness through camp. Flores also reportedly has concerns that throwing the rookie under center would put Tua at a physical risk at this point of the year. What's clear is that Miami's coaching staff is absolutely weighing passing the torch soon. Expect Fitzpatrick to make a transition to the bench in the next few weeks. 

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Oct 5, 2020, 1:30 PM ET

Miami Dolphins announced Ryan Fitzpatrick will start for Week 5 against the 49ers.

As expected. Coach Brian Flores met with rookie Tua Tagovailoa Monday night and decided to stay the course for one more week. Ryan Fitzpatrick has finished as QB1 for fantasy in 3-of-4 games this year but the Dolphins are still just 1-3 and looking to pass the torch soon. Expect Tua to get the nod the moment Flores believes the rookie isn't in any physical danger behind Miami's Swiss cheese o-line.

SOURCE: Miami Dolphins on Twitter

Oct 6, 2020, 9:03 AM ET

Miami Dolphins announced Ryan Fitzpatrick will start for Week 5 against the 49ers.

As expected. Coach Brian Flores met with rookie Tua Tagovailoa Monday night and decided to stay the course for one more week. Ryan Fitzpatrick has finished as QB1 for fantasy in 3-of-4 games this year but the Dolphins are still just 1-3 and looking to pass the torch soon. Expect Tua to get the nod the moment Flores believes the rookie isn't in any physical danger behind Miami's Swiss cheese o-line.

Not for long

Not for long
Not So Fast!

Tua time? Even at 1-3, Dolphins' Flores says not so fast

Mon Oct 5 4:36pm ET
By STEVEN WINE
AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) When asked Monday about the Miami Dolphins' quarterback situation, coach Brian Flores paused for nearly 8 seconds before he answered.

That was plenty of time to stir up even more speculation regarding when top draft pick Tua Tagovailoa might make his NFL debut.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw two interceptions and had a passer rating of 66 in Sunday's 31-23 loss to Seattle, which dropped the Dolphins to 1-3.

But it's unclear whether the Dolphins believe Tagovailoa has learned the offense well enough to take over Sunday at San Francisco, and whether they're ready to expose him to an NFL pass rush less than a year after a serious hip injury ended his Alabama career.

''Look, I understand where everybody is coming from with Tua,'' Flores said. ''I get all that. At the same time, he's a young player. He's coming off the injury. We'll make the decision on the starter, but I would presume that's going to be Fitzpatrick.''

Tagovailoa watched again Sunday while two other rookie quarterbacks, the Bengals' Joe Burrow and the Chargers' Justin Herbert, played well. Flores said that doesn't factor into his thinking, and said his 8-second pause didn't signal a QB change was imminent.

Switching to Tagovailoa would mean exposing his surgically repaired hip behind an offensive line with two rookies.

''He has checked all the boxes from a medical standpoint,'' Flores said. ''(But) the honest thing for me is if it was my kid and he had a serious injury like that, I wouldn't want his coach to be rushed to throw him in there because of media pressure or anything like that. 🤗   😘 

''No one is going to pressure me into doing anything. When we feel like he's ready to go, we'll put him in.''

I think that's incredibly brave and shows good leadership. It echos everything I have been posting on the Dolphins you'd think this guy and I were neighbors 😉 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking extension before the season ends. He would agree to another 1 year Add on, 7-8M before the season ends, we need a quality back up next year as well, Tua might not be ready or what if he is benched or misses time? The team loves this guy, the players rally around him, I'd like Miami to consider making him a long term thing like QB Coach on the way out. The problem is he looks good when he has time to set up, he has weapons at WR and TE right now, the OL got a pop in the arm with Hunt inserted at RT, Davis rolls around to LT, suddenly Fitz has at least 2 seconds to drop back a few steps and let guys like Preston Williams work down the field. 

Don't write this guy off yet. We need someone like him in the organization, I would even think about something like 2 yr-$15M, maybe the 2nd year isn't totally guaranteed but he is cheap insurance in my book and is allowing for the team to gel and come together. Even the defense seemed energized once they knew the offense was going to have no problem moving the ball. The interceptions in the 1st half, that's what the coaches are going to remember in addition to Fitz play which was all but flawless today. He looked like he was having fun as well. 

I haven't heard Flores speak yet but I am betting he didn't act the least bit surprised by how Fitz played today. I have a Landry with the 14 on it, might be time to get a custom FitzMagic #14 Jersey and admit this guy has been a great Miami Dolphin. 

2018 1 yr $3M+

2019 2 yr $11M deal, he's getting $8M this season. 

This year? Find a number but I can't imagine any other team will find him as valuable as we will while Tua is learning. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 18-of-27 passes for 191 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Dolphins' 24-0, Week 6 win over the Jets.

Fitzpatrick threw all three of his touchdowns in the first half, hooking up with Adam Shaheen, Preston Williams, and Durham Smythe for three inside-the-five scores. Neither offense did anything of note after the half, and rookie Tua Tagovailoa actually made his NFL debut late in the fourth quarter, completing both of his passes for nine yards. Fitzpatrick rushed just one time for four yards. He looked like he was going to have a huge game after the first half, but it was still a strong stat line. We'd imagine Fitzpatrick is the one under center for Week 8 against the Rams following Miami's bye.

Oct 18, 2020, 7:40 PM ET

Fitzpatrick taking the news hard.

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he’s shocked, has broken heart after losing Dolphins starting job

Lots of honest talk by Fitzpatrick in that article. He knew it could be coming but was surprised nonetheless, I guess the timing. But he's gonna be a team player.

>>There’s a lot of stuff going through my mind yesterday from a personal standpoint, not necessarily with the team. Is this it? Was that my last game as an NFL player, in terms of being a starter and going out there playing?

My boys in middle school; they don’t get to find out from dad. They find out from a friend who got a text mess. They probably dropped me from their fantasy team but they still love me. <<

Based on his play the last year and a half, he should get a chance to start somewhere.

Rotoworld take:

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he was "shocked" by the Dolphins' decision to bench him and name Tua Tagovailoa the starter for Week 8 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick was caught off guard when he was called into coach Brian Flores' office to learn the news and admitted it "broke his heart" to find out he's not the starter anymore. "I basically got fired yesterday and my day today consisted of Zoom meetings listening to the guy who fired me, and being in a spaced out room listening to the guy who replaced me," Fitzpatrick said. He felt the Dolphins were his team right now, and he was playing well, leading the Dolphins to a 3-3 record headed into their bye week. Clearly, if this was Miami's plan all along, Fitzpatrick had no idea and was blindsided by it. There's been some chatter that the Dolphins could potentially listen to trade offers for Fitzpatrick ahead of the November 3 deadline. The NFL is always more fun when Fitzpatrick is playing.

RELATED: 

Tua Tagovailoa

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Oct 21, 2020, 1:26 PM ET

Shocking, I assumed Fitz was in on the plan. Tough break for Fitz as he was playing pretty well this year and had the Fins in the playoff hunt.

Shocking, I assumed Fitz was in on the plan. Tough break for Fitz as he was playing pretty well this year and had the Fins in the playoff hunt.
Yeah, I think the timing was more than a little poor. Fitz had led MIA to wins in 3 of the past 4 games and they are the hottest team in the division. Within a game of BUF and actually ahead of NE in the standings.

Seems to me it's unfair on two fronts. First, Fitz might have had the multi-INT game that knocks them down in the standings OR he might have led them to a playoff appearance. Either way his fate would have been a result of his own play and he was obviously being very supportive of Tua even if Tua wasn't starting. Second, Fitz is a popular player on the roster and if MIA completely goes in the tank and strings together several losses there is the possibility that it could split the locker room if MIA misses out on the playoffs IF MIA goes on a losing streak.

I enjoy rooting for Fitz and Tua(and even MIA right now) but the way they have handled this actually puts more pressure on Tua when there didn't need to be. Too many people forget Mahomes sat his entire rookie season and he wasn't even coming back from an injury when he came in the league.

Yeah, I think Flores has seemed to do a great job in Miami so far, but this is a major mis-step. Letting guys know exactly where they stand along the way earns respect long term from everyone on the team. Hiding plans or suddenly changing them on a whim creates distrust in the locker room.

I credit Fitz for being honest.  I believe him when he says he is happy for Tua, but to bench him when they are winning games and playing well makes no sense.  If Tua struggles at first and they go back to losing, it will prove to be a massive blunder for a franchise starved for wins and success.  Fitzmagic always has an expiration date, for sure, but why not ride the wave while it is at its peak?  Just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I credit Fitz for being honest.  I believe him when he says he is happy for Tua, but to bench him when they are winning games and playing well makes no sense.  If Tua struggles at first and they go back to losing, it will prove to be a massive blunder for a franchise starved for wins and success.  Fitzmagic always has an expiration date, for sure, but why not ride the wave while it is at its peak?  Just doesn't make a lot of sense.
yeah seems a bit early, but perhaps Tua looks REALLY good at practice?

I think Rotoworld or whoever blurbed this news item finally got one right. The NFL is more fun when Fitzmagic and family are a starting QB on a team with nowhere but up to go. That's when he's at his best. The competitor (forgetting and abandoning all reason for a bit) in me wants Darnold traded for a first to Dallas and wants Fitz back on the Jets now that Crowder, Perriman, and Mims are all going to likely play this week (we'll see about Mims. I won't believe it until I see him on the field). It would be cool to see what the old gunslinger (poor man's Brett Favre) could do with that trio of receivers.

Totally agree with this take all the way around.

I get that Fitz knew -- at his age and who the team drafted -- that he wasn't the future.

But making the switch now makes absolutely zero sense. The team is one game back from being in the division lead. Most points scored in the division, 5th most in the AFC.

Things are clicking and Fitz is clearly a leader of this team and on the field.

Makes absolutely no sense -- and to blindside Fitz with the decision makes it even worse.

I think Rotoworld or whoever blurbed this news item finally got one right. The NFL is more fun when Fitzmagic and family are a starting QB on a team with nowhere but up to go. That's when he's at his best. The competitor (forgetting and abandoning all reason for a bit) in me wants Darnold traded for a first to Dallas and wants Fitz back on the Jets now that Crowder, Perriman, and Mims are all going to likely play this week (we'll see about Mims. I won't believe it until I see him on the field). It would be cool to see what the old gunslinger (poor man's Brett Favre) could do with that trio of receivers.
Aside from the fact that darnold isn't worth a first based on his play (I'd give a fourth an a minor player) I agree.
  Fitz could be fun on Dallas too, talk about poor man's gunslinger with weapons.

Either way, blindsiding him is classless. I was in on this fins team and this pulls me out.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that prior to Fitz getting called in to Flores' office, Flores got called into the Owner's office.  Just feels like that kind of ham-handedness.

I think Fitz is one of the best back up QBs in the game.  I believe deep down he knows he's going to be a backup for the most part, but be ready to play if he has to.

I think the Cowboys should be making the call.  Fitz is way better than Dalton making secondary reads. Cowboys need a QB who can utilize all of their weapons.   Fitz also way more mobile than Dalton.

I think the Cowboys should be making the call.  Fitz is way better than Dalton making secondary reads. Cowboys need a QB who can utilize all of their weapons.   Fitz also way more mobile than Dalton.
Trying to think of some examples of QB's being traded mid season and starting on their new team.  Have to think it would take many many weeks to learn a new offense/playbook?

Trying to think of some examples of QB's being traded mid season and starting on their new team.  Have to think it would take many many weeks to learn a new offense/playbook?
Fitz went to Harvard bruh....piece of cake.....like 20 minutes maybe.....

By making the QB change when they did, the Dolphins essentially assured themselves of not having to pay $2.5M in salary bonuses for the number of snaps Fitzpatrick played.

You don't think this was the reason for the timing of it ...  "now who is being naive Kay?"

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed 24-of-39 passes for 257 yards and two touchdowns in Week 12 against the Jets.

The Dolphins cruised to an easy win, holding Miami without a touchdown. Fitzpatrick targeted DeVante Parker a team-high 14 times, but both of his TDs went to tight ends, with Mike Gesicki and Adam Shaheen scoring in the red-zone. Tua Tagovailoa (thumb) could miss multiple games, so Fitzpatrick is lined up for another start against the Bengals in Week 13. It's possible the Dolphins stick with Fitzpatrick if he continues to play well.

- Rotoworld

RYAN FITZPATRICK QB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Dolphins coach Brian Flores said he won’t decide until Sunday whether they’re confident Tua Tagovailoa (thumb) can go or if Ryan Fitzpatrick will start.

He added that Tagovailoa is the starter "if 100 percent healthy", but that caveat leaves an out to start Fitzpatrick yet again on Sunday. The veteran has admittedly been terrific since Week 2, averaging 22 fantasy points per game in his last six starts (and most recently pelting the Jets for 257 yards and two scores). DeVante Parker, who has accrued a 40% target share from Fitzpatrick this year, would slide in as a high-end WR2 if the latter's under center but merely rank as a low-end WR2/3 if Tua is engineering the offense opposite Cincinnati.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

Dec 3, 2020, 9:36 AM ET

Sign Fitz now for another 2 years at $10M per year and play the best QB now and for the next 2 years. In the draft, select the best player available - there are 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and it will likely include another on the OL and a good LB. Get some RBs later, Aaron Jones was a 5th rounder. If we think the QB from ND State is good, draft him. We're not getting Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

Fitzpatrick is playing as well as Burrow and Herbert, and better than Tua, although it's a small sample. Fitz wants a chance to compete to start - which other team will offer him that chance? Fitzpatrick is the best QB in a Miami uniform since #13.

You mean since Tannehill. He broke several Dolphin Marino records, its not his fault he had crappy coaching and rosters around him. 
Tannehill definitely improved during his time in Miami. His long passes became more accurate, for one. But Fitzpatrick did a great job last year with a bad oline and no running game. Fitzpatrick was the leading rusher last year. And this year his big receivers, Parker and Gesicki, are gettting almost no separation, they're bottom 10 in the entire league. Fitzpatrick has so much better pocket presence and escapability.

PS. I like his beard and the way he chews gum. His enthusiasm is contagious. 

By making the QB change when they did, the Dolphins essentially assured themselves of not having to pay $2.5M in salary bonuses for the number of snaps Fitzpatrick played.

You don't think this was the reason for the timing of it ...  "now who is being naive Kay?"
This is an interesting angle. According to Spotrac, Fitz would get a $1 million bonus if he plays 55% of offensive snaps, a $2 million bonus if he plays 65% of snaps, or a $2.5 million bonus if he plays 75% of snaps, and would also get a $1 million bonus if the Dolphins make the playoffs, and would also get a $1.5 million bonus if he's in the top-20 in TD passes OR completion % OR sacks.

When Fitz was benched, he had played 387 snaps, which was projected to be 37% of snaps for the season.

As of now, he's played in 479 snaps, which is projected to be 45.8% of snaps for the season. Two more starts would put him over the 55% threshold. If he starts the rest of the season, he'd be right around 77%.

He's also 10th in completion % and he's within striking distance of 20th in TD passes (he's 24th but with Burrow/Minshew/Bridgewater/Brees above him). And I'm not sure how the sack stat is calculated, but it looks like he's currently the 16th-most-sacked QB out of every QB who has started at least 5 games.

Bottom line: if Fitz keeps starting, he stands to make another $5 million in bonuses. 💰

This is an interesting angle. According to Spotrac, Fitz would get a $1 million bonus if he plays 55% of offensive snaps, a $2 million bonus if he plays 65% of snaps, or a $2.5 million bonus if he plays 75% of snaps, and would also get a $1 million bonus if the Dolphins make the playoffs, and would also get a $1.5 million bonus if he's in the top-20 in TD passes OR completion % OR sacks.

When Fitz was benched, he had played 387 snaps, which was projected to be 37% of snaps for the season.

As of now, he's played in 479 snaps, which is projected to be 45.8% of snaps for the season. Two more starts would put him over the 55% threshold. If he starts the rest of the season, he'd be right around 77%.

He's also 10th in completion % and he's within striking distance of 20th in TD passes (he's 24th but with Burrow/Minshew/Bridgewater/Brees above him). And I'm not sure how the sack stat is calculated, but it looks like he's currently the 16th-most-sacked QB out of every QB who has started at least 5 games.

Bottom line: if Fitz keeps starting, he stands to make another $5 million in bonuses. 💰
Nice find. This is very interesting and maybe sheds a little more light on why the Phins seem steadfast in wanting to go back to Tua (and tank their playoff chances in the process) when Fitz is clearly the better QB right now.

Sea Duck said:

Embarrassingly cheap if this has merit.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there's a "real possibility" Ryan Fitzpatrick starts in Week 13 against the Bengals.

Tua Tagovailoa (thumb) had a setback in practice this week, putting his status in doubt. Miami plans to take Tua to game-time, but signs point to Fitzpatrick making another start after throwing for two touchdowns in a win over the Jets last week. The entire Dolphins offense has looked better under Fitzpatrick. DeVante Parker would be a locked-in WR2 if Fitzpatrick starts this week.

DFS Slant:

Fitzpatrick would once again be a strong play against a bottom-half Bengals secondary. He's viable in both cash games and tournaments this week if he gets the nod. DeVante Parker -- a WR3 with Tua under center -- becomes a strong WR1 option at a more-than-affordable DFS price point with Fitz starting at QB. 

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 4, 2020, 11:55 AM ET

>>Flores said he will decide starting quarterback in hour but implies the world won't be told, saying he'll see us again after Sunday's game.<<

https://mobile.twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1334932116086329346
So between this, and Rap’s report of Tua being a game time call, who does Flores think he is fooling here? If Tua really did have a setback, how can Flores make the call now and not go with Fitz?

Honestly, this whole “Shell Game QB” nonsense is something I would expect more out of Gase than Flores. It’s not a strategy that competent franchises partake in.

Users who are viewing this thread