What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (2 Viewers)

Washington coach Ron Rivera said Ryan Fitzpatrick will open camp as the No. 1 quarterback but "there will be a competition."

Rivera simply confirmed what was already known as the 38-year-old veteran was always viewed as a bridge to his successor, even if that player isn't currently on the roster. Odds are Washington adds a quarterback with the No. 19 overall pick and allows him to redshirt under Fitzpatrick, who's only signed through this upcoming season. Any rookie would likely compete with Taylor Heinicke as the team's No. 2 signal-caller.

SOURCE: Sam Fortier on Twitter

Apr 1, 2021, 10:07 AM ET

Ryan Fitzpatrick is happy with the WFT draft so far.

• WFT did not trade up to go after Justin Fields or Mac Jones.
  • WFT passed on taking a quarterback in round 2, instead taking OT Samuel Cosmi.
  • WFT adds WR Dyami Brown in round 3.
  • WFT adds TE John Bates in round 4 - not overly athletic or known for pass catching but he earned praise for his blocking skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is fair to say the overall team is setup nicely for Fitz. Great defense, lots of good young weapons on offense, and a fanbase welcoming him with open arms and zero QB controversy. 

RYAN FITZPATRICK QB, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

ESPN's John Keim said it's "clear" the Washington Football Team "will be more aggressive looking for bigger plays down the field" in 2021. 

Bringing in grizzled veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick -- known for his gunslinging ways -- would confirm as much. During Miami's 2019 season, Fitzpatrick completed 19-of-52 passes that traveled 20 or more yards. In 2020, he completed 11-of-17 such throws in seven starts. Washington's QBs last year had 55 total deep shots, which would have ranked 18th. Dwayne Haskins and Alex Smith were wretched on their downfield attempts, completing 12 off 44 passes of more than 20 yards. The addition of speedster Curtis Samuel and big-bodied downfield threat Dyami Brown should help remake Washington's offense in 2021. Fitzpatrick gives Terry McLaurin a fantasy ceiling he sorely lacked in 2020. 

RELATED: 

Terry McLaurin

, Dyami Brown

, Curtis Samuel

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

May 28, 2021, 11:57 AM ET

I’m not sure he’s ever finished as a Top 10 QB, to expect that “easily” at age 39 seems a bit ambitious.

Sorry I know this is an old post. Just wanna stir up a little discussion here. I mean sure Fitz has been dynamic from a FF standpoint for X years. Really good the last few years. But we’ve kind of seen this for the better part of a decade. He always looks like a good option but except for the one year with the Jets he always gets replaced. He’s never had a 4K season. I think he has one 30 touchdown season that the aforementioned in NYJ season. I am hearing a lot of chatter about Taylor Heinicke - I must confess I didn’t know he existed - so I just wonder if it’s just gonna be the same ole same ole with him.

WFT Is a tough one for projections. Sure McLauren is awesome. Gibson should be really, really good. I like Samuel but his presence  probably means Logan Thomas is a irrelevant again. McKissick was  great in PPR last year but it’s not even the same team anymore.

You know I hear you on Fitz, who I super dig as one of the coolest mofo’s to play QB.  

I traded for Heineke (sort of, sent Darnold for him and Goff) but Heineke’s play last year and chatter about him in OTA’s made it seem like a decent flyer/insurance policy for the WFT QB spot.

Rooting for him for sure and not just selfishly but planning for contingencies is rarely a bad thing, especially with aging QB’s.

Fitzmagic's play against the Raiders with his helmet being ripped off was a 34 yard pass that led to the winning FG. Mahomes called it the no look pass of all time. His decision making under pressure was great the last 2 years with Miami. Parker owes him some money, as Fitz showed he could be a top WR.  "Ryan Fitzpatrick says he stopped taking reps in practice to help Tua Tagovailoa, Reid Sinnett", a real team player, even though he was hurt by the surprise benching. 

He also had four 400 yard games with TB, including 3 straight to start the 2018 season. I think he has improved with age, and the rules also help the passing game. 

With the WFT, he could have real competition with Heinicke, time will tell. But with a good defense, the team is unlikely to be in many shotouts, which limits his fantasy potential.

Sorry I know this is an old post. Just wanna stir up a little discussion here. I mean sure Fitz has been dynamic from a FF standpoint for X years. Really good the last few years. But we’ve kind of seen this for the better part of a decade. He always looks like a good option but except for the one year with the Jets he always gets replaced. He’s never had a 4K season. I think he has one 30 touchdown season that the aforementioned in NYJ season. I am hearing a lot of chatter about Taylor Heinicke - I must confess I didn’t know he existed - so I just wonder if it’s just gonna be the same ole same ole with him.

WFT Is a tough one for projections. Sure McLauren is awesome. Gibson should be really, really good. I like Samuel but his presence  probably means Logan Thomas is a irrelevant again. McKissick was  great in PPR last year but it’s not even the same team anymore.
Yes that season with the Jets was magical, but even at the time us Jets fans knew there was a lot of "smoke and mirrors" with that season. Fitz had a lot of potential interceptions dropped and was bailed out by hos three WRs that were just so much bigger and stronger than the defensive backs covering them: Mashall, Decker and Enunwa. To his credit Fitz had the "guts" to force the ball into coverage and let those guys do their things, but that mentality is what eventually does him in as well. For a Harvard guy is football IQ is pretty low.

He's also very reckless with his body when he runs with the ball which may not bode well for a frail 39 year old QB.

Heinicke looked very good for the WFT in the playoffs - I would be far from shocked if he gets starts this season whether due to injury or Fitztragic taking over from Fitzmagic.

With all that said, I will be rooting hard for Fitz, as others have said he's been one of the most fun players to watch over the years.
Almost as fascinating as his play on the field are his 7 children, and the oldest are now into fantasy football. And they were born in 7 different states. Is there time for an 8th?  His wife was a soccer player at Harvard. And they had a joint bank account before getting married. 

Almost as fascinating as his play on the field are his 7 children, and the oldest are now into fantasy football. And they were born in 7 different states. Is there time for an 8th?  His wife was a soccer player at Harvard. And they had a joint bank account before getting married. 
My cousin lived right by him in Chatham when he played for the Jets. He said he was a great guy, and was always out in his yard and very friendly to his neighbors - especially after the Jets won.

Fitzmagic's play against the Raiders with his helmet being ripped off was a 34 yard pass that led to the winning FG. Mahomes called it the no look pass of all time
My bad. It wasn't a TD pass. It wasn't just a "no look" pass. It was a "no look" pass, with your head literally being ripped the other way. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ryan Fitzpatrick "is believed to have suffered a hip subluxation" against the Chargers and will undergo an MRI. 

We won't know how long Fitz will be out until the MRI is complete. Fitzpatrick was crushed by a Chargers lineman, trying to leave the field on his own before falling back to the turf. He was helped to the Washington locker room and did not return. Taylor Heinicke could be the Football Team's starter for the foreseeable future. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 12, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ryan Fitzpatrick will miss "several weeks" after dislocating his hip in Week 1 against the Chargers. 

Fitzpatrick missing the remainder of the regular season is a possibility, per Rapoport. The grizzled QB is undergoing an MRI on Monday to determine the severity of the injury. At best, it seems, he'll land on the three-week injured reserve list. Taylor Heinicke, who threw for 122 yards and a touchdown in two and a half quarters of action against the Bolts, could be the Football Team's starter for a while. He should be rostered in every superflex league. 

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) is expected to miss six to eight weeks.

Fitzpatrick suffered a hip subluxation after getting slammed by a Chargers defensive lineman in Week 1. Washington head coach Ron Rivera has already made it clear that the team does not plan on signing a quarterback. That means Taylor Heinicke will draw the start for their Week 2 matchup against the Giants. Heinicke has an erratic arm but contributes on the ground. He has 12 career carries for 72 yards. His rushing output makes him a viable streaming option in Superflex leagues.

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 13, 2021, 4:36 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Washington QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (hip) will rehab without surgery "for now." 

"For now" does a lot of work, as the zoomers might say. Fitzpatrick, who suffered the injury early in Washington's Week 1 loss to the Chargers, could return by early November if the nonsurgical rehab option works out. Taylor Heinicke will take over for the Football Team and could easily secure the starting job in the coming weeks, relegating Fitzpatrick to backup duties upon his return. Heinicke needs to be rostered in all superflex formats. Fitzpatrick is a no-brainer drop in one-QB leagues. 

RELATED: 

Taylor Heinicke

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 16, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread