What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (2 Viewers)

I'm sure this is pretty relevant for tons of us Romo owners.He (Romo) was my only QB.I picked Fitzpatrick up, but haven't seen him play once this year. Would love to get some insight here. I can trade for a solid QB (who has been well below Fitz in PPG) for some depth that I can probably afford to deal away, but I'm not sure whether I should do it or stick with Fitz. I won't give the details so as to not make this an Assistant Coach question... but wouldn't mind hearing what the other Romo owners are thinking here. I trust the potential trade QB more, but can't ignore Fitzpatrick's productivity. I've got a good, deep, 2nd place team, but this will probably be the key to my season.Is he a long term option from here forward? Would you rather him or a top 15 QB that you "trust" more? Or - should we just go ahead and trust Fitzpatrick.
This is pretty much the exact same situation I'm in. My problem is I don't have a ton of depth at the position I'm potentially trading away. Fitzpatrick could either give me a championship team, or he could sink me. Heh, ironic that I was interested in this thread because I was considering benching Brady in favor of Fitz in another league, and now I'm looking at him as my likely new starter anyways after losing Romo.

Hank Mardukas said:
LC512 said:
I'm sure this is pretty relevant for tons of us Romo owners.He (Romo) was my only QB.I picked Fitzpatrick up, but haven't seen him play once this year. Would love to get some insight here. I can trade for a solid QB (who has been well below Fitz in PPG) for some depth that I can probably afford to deal away, but I'm not sure whether I should do it or stick with Fitz. I won't give the details so as to not make this an Assistant Coach question... but wouldn't mind hearing what the other Romo owners are thinking here. I trust the potential trade QB more, but can't ignore Fitzpatrick's productivity. I've got a good, deep, 2nd place team, but this will probably be the key to my season.Is he a long term option from here forward? Would you rather him or a top 15 QB that you "trust" more? Or - should we just go ahead and trust Fitzpatrick.
This is pretty much the exact same situation I'm in. My problem is I don't have a ton of depth at the position I'm potentially trading away. Fitzpatrick could either give me a championship team, or he could sink me. Heh, ironic that I was interested in this thread because I was considering benching Brady in favor of Fitz in another league, and now I'm looking at him as my likely new starter anyways after losing Romo.
The devil on one shoulder says "screw it, roll with Fitz, you've never won a championship without at least one dude on your team that you would have never imagined starting when you started the fantasy season"...The angel is saying "you're going to feel really dumb blowing your season on Ryan friggin' Fitzpatrick because you wouldn't trade away a guy that you can replace rather easily for a solid QB"This year was getting boring just plugging in the same lineup every week. Now we have fun.FWIW I'm thinking of leaning towards Fitz, only because I'm a gambling fool and because I'm getting too many texts talking smack about me starting him. The potential bragging rights winning with him are almost too good to pass up. There's no sound logic behind it, so I wouldn't advise anyone to follow my lead.(no it's not a big money league, but it's a big ego league :hifive: )

Last edited by a moderator:
ThePittbully said:
basher said:
Tyler Thigpen over again?
In terms of coming out of nowhere and lighting it up in fantasy yes, but that's where the similarity ends. Thigpen put up numbers exclusively out of the spread in games the chiefs were getting run over. Fitz is keeping the bills in every game. This past weekend he came back from a ten point hole in the 4th to take the game into OT, and had they not fumbled they may have won. His completion percentage has only been below 66% once since he took over, he has 11 TDs and only 4 interceptions, and his QB rating is second only to manning. He can be had relatively cheap in most leagues, I say why not go get him
:no: Fitzpatrick has had 75% of of his fantasy points when trailing and 45% of his fantasy points when trailing big. Those stats do not really provide support to your claim that he's "keeping the bills in every game". Nice try though. The Bills are 0-6, and basically getting hammered every game, just like the Chiefs of two years ago. Like Thigpen, Fitzpatrick has come out of nowhere to put up good fantasy numbers which are way above his previous career numbers, and like Thigpen he will most likely disappear as well.

Like Thigpen, Fitzpatrick has come out of nowhere to put up good fantasy numbers which are way above his previous career numbers, and like Thigpen he will most likely disappear as well.
You mean the Tyler Thigpen that ended the year with a 76 passer rating? The one that had 12 TDs and 18 INTs? That guy?What's that guy got to do with a pure drop-back passer who's sporting a 102 rating and 11-4 TDs to INTs over his first four games as a first-choice starter?

ThePittbully said:
basher said:
In terms of coming out of nowhere and lighting it up in fantasy yes, but that's where the similarity ends. Thigpen put up numbers exclusively out of the spread in games the chiefs were getting run over. Fitz is keeping the bills in every game. This past weekend he came back from a ten point hole in the 4th to take the game into OT, and had they not fumbled they may have won. His completion percentage has only been below 66% once since he took over, he has 11 TDs and only 4 interceptions, and his QB rating is second only to manning. He can be had relatively cheap in most leagues, I say why not go get him
:banned: Fitzpatrick has had 75% of of his fantasy points when trailing and 45% of his fantasy points when trailing big. Those stats do not really provide support to your claim that he's "keeping the bills in every game". Nice try though. The Bills are 0-6, and basically getting hammered every game, just like the Chiefs of two years ago. Like Thigpen, Fitzpatrick has come out of nowhere to put up good fantasy numbers which are way above his previous career numbers, and like Thigpen he will most likely disappear as well.
Interesting, but two questions, because those stats (75% of FP when trailing) don't have any context behind them.You need to provide more info for that to have any meaning. - How often, as a whole, were the Bills trailing? Somewhere around 75%? Higher? Lower?- Why would we not think that the Bills won't continue to trail 75% of the time?Serious questions - not saying you're wrong or picking a fight. Good info here.

Like Thigpen, Fitzpatrick has come out of nowhere to put up good fantasy numbers which are way above his previous career numbers, and like Thigpen he will most likely disappear as well.
You mean the Tyler Thigpen that ended the year with a 76 passer rating? The one that had 12 TDs and 18 INTs? That guy?What's that guy got to do with a pure drop-back passer who's sporting a 102 rating and 11-4 TDs to INTs over his first four games as a first-choice starter?
Thank you, Thigpen ran strictly out of the spread and while his fantasy numbers were great his real life statistics were not. As for Fitz doing damage while buffalo is trailing, notice I didn't say they were winning games just staying in them. The jets handled them but every other game was close. The pats game was score for score the entire way, yes they were trailing but never more than a TD. They were winning in the first half against the Ravens, then let them take the lead by ten until Fitz brought them back with two scoring drives in the 4th. And as I said if not for the fumble they may have won

Also if I remember correctly, I think the only person with a higher Wunderlic than Fitz is Sam Bradford
Incorrect. Both Max Hall (BYU) and Tim Hiller (Western Michigan) both drafted just in Bradford's class outscored Sam (38 & 37 respectively to Bradford's very nice 36) at the QB position on the Wonderlic heading into the last NFL Draft.I do not know offhand what Fitz scored on his Wonderlic the year he was selected.

ETA: Found this list with a quick Google search. Fitz blew that ##### up.

Wonderlic scores for the NFL's projected starting quarterbacks:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29

12. Marc Bulger 29

12. Brady Quinn 29

15. Mark Sanchez 28

15. Peyton Manning 28

15. Drew Brees 28

18. Josh Freeman 27

18. Joe Flacco 27

20. Carson Palmer 26

20. Jay Cutler 26

20. Kyle Orton 26

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25

24. Jason Campbell 23

25. Brett Favre 22

25. Tim Tebow 22

25. Chad Henne 22

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19

29. Vince Young 15

30. Donovan McNabb 14

30. David Garrard 14

Unknown: Matt Cassel, Matt Moore

Top quarterback prospects in 2010 NFL draft

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma 36

Colt McCoy, Texas 25

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame 23

Tim Tebow, Florida 22

I'm contemplating dropping Cutler or McNabb for him ... can't do it.
What's your record? How have those guys done for you? I'd cut either in any league I play in. McNabb first, but Jay's a mess and I'm a Bears man. Adios amigo(s).Roll the dice; you're gonna keep one of them, man. I saw some delicious grafitti on a bathroom wall at a bar I frequented back in college that's always stuck with me. It's an excellent quote as it pertains to fantasy football: "You gotta break an egg to make an omelette."

Go for it and quit being a wuss. The guy's putting up numbers that blast either of these big name low production (fantasy-wise - Donovan is winning NFL games and I take nothing away from him) QBs. Stranger things have happened than a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick winning you a fantasy title. He's got some good matchups coming up here.

Man I think I gota stick that quote in my sig.

I just remember Fitzpatrick coming in as a No. 3 for Martz in St. Louis and playing pretty darned well.

Questions:

- Playing in Buffalo in the last 3 weeks of the season (playoff time) and the effect on passing stats?

- The likelihood that no matter how well Fitz plays that Brohm goes in there?

You're right, Thigpen did it for 10 games, while Fitzpatrick has only done it for 4 games. Entirely different. Carry on.

You're right, Thigpen did it for 10 games, while Fitzpatrick has only done it for 4 games. Entirely different. Carry on.
Sorry to use numbers up there. The little word summary is that Thigpen didn't do it at all.

3. Eli Manning 39 15. Peyton Manning 28
Wow that's quite a disparity between brothers. Maybe it's just me but Eli *looks* dumb but apparently I'm way off base. Not that Peyton looks smart or anything they're both kind of gomers.
I had no idea that Eli was 11 better than Peyton, but now the cool thing is that Eli shoudl say "Mine goes to 11" Spinal-Tap style at family gatherings to rub it in to Peyton that he's smarter than him.

ThePittbully said:
basher said:
:bag: Fitzpatrick has had 75% of of his fantasy points when trailing and 45% of his fantasy points when trailing big. Those stats do not really provide support to your claim that he's "keeping the bills in every game". Nice try though. The Bills are 0-6, and basically getting hammered every game, just like the Chiefs of two years ago. Like Thigpen, Fitzpatrick has come out of nowhere to put up good fantasy numbers which are way above his previous career numbers, and like Thigpen he will most likely disappear as well.
I think that he's very much keeping the Bills in games. It's pretty important to differentiate between him putting up points while losing and putting up points while losing big. The Buffalo defense is so historically bad that the Bills are always in danger of being behind. And saying stuff like "when trailing" doesn't really mean anything because it would include situations like the Bills being down 3-0 and Fitzpatrick driving down the field and scoring a TD to take the lead. Under your stats, that doesn't count for Fitzpatrick, despite him not only keeping them in the game at that point, but delivering the lead.So I went and broke down his stats acquired while the Bills were down 7 or less and his points acquired while they were down by more than 7 points. I think any logical person would agree that being within one TD would qualify a team as being in a game.

Down 7 points or less, Fitzpatrick has thrown for 530 yards, 6 TDs and 1 INT while rushing for 28 yards.

Down more than 7 points, Fitzpatrick has thrown for 439 yards, 5 TDs and 3 INTs while rushing for 64 yards.

So 55% of his yards and TDs have come while they were within 7 points.

If you stretch it out to about 10 points, then that number jumps up to something like 75%. With the Bills defense giving up 33 points per game, it's tough to stay in games. But Fitzpatrick has done just that for the most part. They've had legitimate chances to beat the Patriots, Jags and Ravens under Fitzpatrick. It's the defense letting this team down, not Fitz.

I fear the same: Why not test Brohm and play for pick 1.01 when you're 0-10?
Because Fitzpatrick is currently the #2 rated QB in the league right now and looks every bit the part of a franchise QB. Why not see if he can keep it up and find out if he's a legit franchise type QB? If he is, then they don't need to draft a QB at the top of the first round, they can focus on their defense or OT.

New coach, who might have something in Fitz?

I don't think he's interested in winning 1-2 games and risking Brohm, Fitz right now playig the way he played against Balt, can win some ballgames.

NFL coaches do not tank, they go all out to win ballgames, and Fitz right now gives them the best chance at that.

Also the fact that Gailey is a QB guy, well, maybe this is a prefect match between QB and Coach.

yes I am desperate thinking mode.. I lost Romo like a lot of guys...

Because Fitzpatrick is currently the #2 rated QB in the league right now and looks every bit the part of a franchise QB. Why not see if he can keep it up and find out if he's a legit franchise type QB? If he is, then they don't need to draft a QB at the top of the first round, they can focus on their defense or OT.
Also, because going for the #1 pick may be what fans and armchair GMs want to see, but coaches want to keep their jobs and teams want to sell tickets and other merchandise. If Fitz keeps playing at a high level why in the world would you bench him to put in an unproven player who has already been cut by the team that drafted him? I think the league might take an interest at that point because that would be very close to throwing games. Oh, and in a lot of drafts no one wants the #1 pick because of the money involved. We'll probably have a rookie salary cap in place, but that's far from assured at this point. Plus, I don't know how this draft grades out, but it sounds like there are going to be multiple first round QBs and probably some disagreement over who is best.

Plus, wouldn't the Bills be in a much better position if Fitzpatrick proves himself to be a good QB and then they can use their first round pick on another position that has better odds of panning out (I believe QBs have the highest bust rate for first round picks)?

So, in conclusion, for fantasy purposes it seems like the only question is whether Fitzpatrick can sustain playing at a high level. Benching him for anything other than poor performance seems far-fetched.

interesting tid bit:

Pat McInally, a graduate of Harvard University, is the only football player to record a confirmed perfect score of 50.Ryan Fitzpatrick, also a Harvard graduate and currently a quarterback with the NFL Buffalo Bills, had also been rumored to have scored a perfect 50 points in only nine minutes. However, Fitzpatrick denied this, saying that he had left at least one of the 50 answer spaces blank. The Wall Street Journal later reported that Fitzpatrick's actual score was 48 but that Fitzpatrick's claim of completing the Wonderlic in only nine minutes was accurate (This report appeared in the September 30, 2005 edition of the WSJ in the Weekend Section).

still: it's the Bills... sorry! :goodposting:

still: it's the Bills... sorry! :unsure:
touche :lol:

I don't know if he can keep up this pace... but I went back and looked at the teams he's faced, and he has faced a much softer schedule than he will the rest of the way...

---------------Comp/Att yds Tds Int

Week 3 (@NWE) 20/28 247 2 2

Week 4 (NYJ) 12/27 128 2 0

Week 5 (JAC) 20/30 220 3 0

Week 7 (@BAL) 29/43 374 4 2

Now here are the numbers for each of those opponents and how they ranked in yds/TDs/Total Fantasy Pts allowed

Most yds allowed per game to QBs

NE: 291.7 (3rd most)

NYJ: 243.3 (11th most)

Jac: 265.1 ( 6th most)

Bal: 214.7 (23rd most)

Most TDs allowed per game to QBs

NE: 2.0 (4th most)

NYJ: 1.7 (12th most)

Jac: 2.3 (2nd most)

Bal: 1.1 (24th most)

Most Fantasy points allowed per game to QBs

NE: 26.83 (3rd most)

NYJ 23.38 (6th most)

Jac: 29.19 (2nd most)

Bal: 17.86 (25 most)

So in conclusion, 3 of the 4 teams he has faced, are 3 of the 6 that allow the most points to QBs. Fitzpatrick also had less yards than the average number of yards that those teams have allowed through 7 games. It is encouraging that he blew the numbers up against Bal which was ranked as 31st is pts allowed before week 7, allowing only 188.2 yds, .7 TDs and 13.57 fantasy pts per game.

Here's how the next opp rank in fantasy pts allowed to QBs over the next weeks:

8: @KC --- 15th

9: vs Chi --- 31st

10: vs Det --- 9th

11: @ Cin --- 22nd

12: vs Pit --- 29th

13: @ Min --- 23rd

14: vs Cle --- 7th

15: @ Mia --- 18th

16: vs NE --- 3rd

so the schedule does get harder for him, so we will see if he can perform just as well vs Chi, Pit, Min, but definately worth starting him vs KC, Det, Cle and NE

I don't know if he can keep up this pace... but I went back and looked at the teams he's faced, and he has faced a much softer schedule than he will the rest of the way...

---------------Comp/Att yds Tds Int

Week 3 (@NWE) 20/28 247 2 2

Week 4 (NYJ) 12/27 128 2 0

Week 5 (JAC) 20/30 220 3 0

Week 7 (@BAL) 29/43 374 4 2

Now here are the numbers for each of those opponents and how they ranked in yds/TDs/Total Fantasy Pts allowed

Most yds allowed per game to QBs

NE: 291.7 (3rd most)

NYJ: 243.3 (11th most)

Jac: 265.1 ( 6th most)

Bal: 214.7 (23rd most)

Most TDs allowed per game to QBs

NE: 2.0 (4th most)

NYJ: 1.7 (12th most)

Jac: 2.3 (2nd most)

Bal: 1.1 (24th most)

Most Fantasy points allowed per game to QBs

NE: 26.83 (3rd most)

NYJ 23.38 (6th most)

Jac: 29.19 (2nd most)

Bal: 17.86 (25 most)

So in conclusion, 3 of the 4 teams he has faced, are 3 of the 6 that allow the most points to QBs. Fitzpatrick also had less yards than the average number of yards that those teams have allowed through 7 games. It is encouraging that he blew the numbers up against Bal which was ranked as 31st is pts allowed before week 7, allowing only 188.2 yds, .7 TDs and 13.57 fantasy pts per game.

Here's how the next opp rank in fantasy pts allowed to QBs over the next weeks:

8: @KC --- 15th

9: vs Chi --- 31st

10: vs Det --- 9th

11: @ Cin --- 22nd

12: vs Pit --- 29th

13: @ Min --- 23rd

14: vs Cle --- 7th

15: @ Mia --- 18th

16: vs NE --- 3rd

so the schedule does get harder for him, so we will see if he can perform just as well vs Chi, Pit, Min, but definately worth starting him vs KC, Det, Cle and NE
If NE keeps up their 3rd most FF points to QB's...Week 16 = Championship :unsure:

If NE keeps up their 3rd most FF points to QB's...Week 16 = Championship :goodposting:
Yep... but by far, TEN has the easiest schedule after their bye week:

10: @Mia (18th)

11: Was (5th)

12: @Hou (1st)

13: Jac (2nd)

14: Ind (24th)

15: Hou (1st)

16: @KC (15th)

and these teams have the next easiest schedule in that same span (week 10-16), along with some of those opp

NYG: Jac, WAS

JAC: Hou, Was

Chi: Det, NE, NYJ (cutler might want to keep him)

CLE: JAC, BUF

PIT: NE, BUF, NYJ

HOU: JAC, NYJ, DEN

NYJ: CLE, HOU, NE

Great post emge.

It would appear that Fitzpatrick may be a guy that can win you a championship if you can get there platooning him or already have a pretty good shot at the playoffs. I happen to be in a situation where I've already clinched a playoff spot I think (all play and I am way out ahead). So he's a very intriguing target for me. Thanks for the analysis.

Great post emge. It would appear that Fitzpatrick may be a guy that can win you a championship if you can get there platooning him or already have a pretty good shot at the playoffs. I happen to be in a situation where I've already clinched a playoff spot I think (all play and I am way out ahead). So he's a very intriguing target for me. Thanks for the analysis.
Yeah as Romo owner, I am looking at QBBC, with the likes of Fitzpatrick, Vince Young, Sanchez, Henne, Cutler (he was dropped in my leagues)wk 8: Fitzpatrick vs KC, Kitna vs Jac, Cassel vs Buf, Stafford vs Waswk 9: Cutler @ Buf, Stafford @ Jets, Sanchez vs Detwk 10: Stafford @ Buf, Sanchez @ Clewk 11: Sanchez vs Hou, Young vs Waswk 12: Young @ Hou, Stafford vs NEwk 13: Young vs Jac, Henne vs Cle, Cutler @ Detwk 14: Cutler vs NE, Henne @ NYJ, Fitzpatrick vs Clewk 15: Young vs Hou, Henne vs Buf, Kitna vs Waswk 16: Fitzpatrick vs NE, Cutler vs NYJ, Henne vs Det

I have Schaub, Henne and Fitz and I think I am going Fitz this week. I can't afford for Schaub to have a game like the one he did first time against Indy and Fitz probably has a higher ceiling. I may chicked out, but right now I am going with Fitz.

I may actually trade away Brady (getting some additional pluses) for Fitzpatrick, and would go with Fitz and Kitna for the duration.

Also if I remember correctly, I think the only person with a higher Wunderlic than Fitz is Sam Bradford
Incorrect. Both Max Hall (BYU) and Tim Hiller (Western Michigan) both drafted just in Bradford's class outscored Sam (38 & 37 respectively to Bradford's very nice 36) at the QB position on the Wonderlic heading into the last NFL Draft.I do not know offhand what Fitz scored on his Wonderlic the year he was selected.

ETA: Found this list with a quick Google search. Fitz blew that ##### up.

Wonderlic scores for the NFL's projected starting quarterbacks:

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

Top quarterback prospects in 2010 NFL draft

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma 36

Colt McCoy, Texas 25

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame 23

Tim Tebow, Florida 22
Yea I dont know where I got the Bradford part of that then, I knew Fitz killed it though. Pretty nice company on that list other than Alex Smith and Matt Stafford who we haven't really seen enough of yet.

Seriously thinking about trading away Brady for this kid. To be honest, I'm not even sure the other owner would go for it. What a wacky season it's been.

I think he is the real deal. Buffalo needs a lot more than a QB to be good. Fitz looks the part. Johnson is a stud. Lee Evans is still a deep threat. RB are solid. This team needs help on defense not offense. Fitz is one of the bright spots why pull him out for Brohm?

I'm in a 16 team keeper league and have Ryan and Fitzpatrick as my QB's. It being a 16 team league I'm a bit thin at WR and RB so I traded Matt Ryan away for WR help. I'm looking forward to being that guy that is taking the shot with the no name guy who could lead you to a championship. Hopefully he continues this pace or something close to it, to make me look smart!

I am rolling with Fitz out of necessity. I am happily surprised at how well he is doing but I wish I had another proven QB to fall back on should Fitz come back down to earth. I think it is a real possibility that Fitz goes into a slump at some point this season. He is a journeyman QB. He is playing for the Bills. He will be playing in the wind and snow of Buffalo in a few weeks.

I just traded to get him. QBs are scarce in my league and my options are pretty thin. I have Romo and my waiver priority wasn't high enough to get Kitna. With Alex Smith being uncertain this week and my only other options being Kerry Collins, Jason Campbell, David Carr, and Matt Hasselbeck I was feeling the pressure. It cost me Percy Harvin to get him. I'm ripe with WRs so Harvin is actually a backup for me but it still hurts. Fitzpatrick has been averaging more than Romo since he started. I feel that he'll continue putting up the numbers because the defense is so bad and they really don't have much else.

If NE keeps up their 3rd most FF points to QB's...Week 16 = Championship :shrug:
Yep... but by far, TEN has the easiest schedule after their bye week:

10: @Mia (18th)

11: Was (5th)

12: @Hou (1st)

13: Jac (2nd)

14: Ind (24th)

15: Hou (1st)

16: @KC (15th)

and these teams have the next easiest schedule in that same span (week 10-16), along with some of those opp

NYG: Jac, WAS

JAC: Hou, Was

Chi: Det, NE, NYJ (cutler might want to keep him)

CLE: JAC, BUF

PIT: NE, BUF, NYJ

HOU: JAC, NYJ, DEN

NYJ: CLE, HOU, NE
gonna piece the romo void with young and fitz..that young schedule is great,

why do FBG rank him ranked 25th though (vyoung) for the rest of the way?

Not a bad move by the Jets. Should give Decker/Marshall fans a little sigh of relief. If Geno implodes, Fitzpatrick is serviceable.

Jets acquired QB Ryan Fitzpatrick from the Texans in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2016.

The pick can elevate to a sixth-rounder based on Fitzpatrick's 2015 playing time. Fitzpatrick became the odd man out after the Texans signed Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett, two quarterbacks Bill O'Brien coached in New England. It's a no-brainer for the Jets. Fitzpatrick quietly produced the ninth-highest quarterback rating in the league last season, while Geno Smith was 29th. Fitzpatrick will be reunited with his former coach Chan Gailey. New York had been talked about as a possible destination for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota, but that seems unlikely now. Fitzpatrick will be the heavy favorite to start Week 1.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 11 - 12:03 PM
Sorry for the thread necromancy. The search function on this site is just awful, but I didn't feel like this trade necessitated a new thread.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Fitzpatrick - QB - Jets

Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the Jets' Week 1 quarterback after Geno Smith broke his jaw in a locker room altercation.

Smith got his jaw busted by second-year LB IK Enemkpali, who has been released. The stunning, "only the Jets" moment reunites Fitzpatrick with the man who made him "FitzMagic" in Buffalo, OC Chan Gailey. Fitz started 45 games for Gailey from 2010-12, and was the fantasy QB11 in 2011. We wouldn't expect a repeat of that in 2015, but Fitz has a decent stable of young weapons to work with. Smith is sidelined 6-10 weeks, but it's no guarantee he'll reclaim the starting job upon his return. A potential line of delineation is the Jets' bye in Week 5.

Related: Geno Smith

Aug 11 - 1:38 PM

I like Bryce Petty. He played well in college. He is an excellent interview and seems both knowledgeable and well grounded. Nice nice guy, it wouldn't be hard to imagine guys gravitating toward him.

He was supposed to be a project though. Few said he was ready now, 90%+ said he needed time to learn in the NFL.

I think the Jets should play Fitz a few minutes, then let Bryce play the rest of preseason game one.

They might need to trade for a QB but see what Bryce has first.

I like Bryce Petty. He played well in college. He is an excellent interview and seems both knowledgeable and well grounded. Nice nice guy, it wouldn't be hard to imagine guys gravitating toward him.

He was supposed to be a project though. Few said he was ready now, 90%+ said he needed time to learn in the NFL.

I think the Jets should play Fitz a few minutes, then let Bryce play the rest of preseason game one.

They might need to trade for a QB but see what Bryce has first.
i doubt they trade for a qb. geno's out 6-10 weeks. Fitzpatrick will get a shot until then and either keep the job if he plays well, or they go back to Geno.

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta believes the Jets' quarterback job is now "Ryan Fitzpatrick's to lose."

Coach Todd Bowles essentially confirmed this in his press conference announcing Geno Smith's broken jaw. Fitzpatrick will run the first-team offense until he plays himself out of the job. The quarterback commonly known as FitzMagic played briefly in Thursday night's preseason opener, completing 2-of-3 passes for 16 yards. Fitzpatrick is a sneaky two-QB-league fantasy pick.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Aug 14 - 3:35 PM

Users who are viewing this thread