What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The non-QB with the most career pass attempts... (1 Viewer)

SSOG

I'm playing around on PFR this evening and I notice a tab at the top labeled "fun". I click on it and I see a link titled "non-quarterback passers" that promises to provide me with a list of every single non-QB to have thrown a pass since 1960. This makes me think of LaDainian Tomlinson and Walter Peyton and their noted passing prowess, which gets me wondering what non-QB has thrown the most passes since the merger. So I click on the link and I sort by the attempts column, and according to PFR the non-quarterback with the most pass attempts since 1960 is... Jimmy Clausen? I mean, I know the guy's been awful, but that seems a little bit harsh...

So what do you all think? Was this an honest mistake, or do you think the good folks at PFR are trying to make a statement? :yes:

I tried a similar search, checking every box except "QB".

The player with the most career pass attempts? George Blanda.

I just tried to narrow the search to the modern era (to eliminate guys who played offense & defense)........can someone explain how Brian Urlacher got a pass attempt in 2002?

edit: found the play-by-play:

4-4-GB 36 (8:17) (Shotgun) B.Urlacher pass incomplete to P.Mannelly (M.Anderson). Snap went to M.Booker, lateral to Urlacher

Maybe they were lined up in field goal formation (Booker as the holder? Urlacher blocking?). Booker takes the snap and laterals to Urlacher, who then tries to pass it? Mannelly was a tackle, so it's doubtful that Urlacher would have thrown it to him deliberately. Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried to narrow the search to the modern era (to eliminate guys who played offense & defense)........can someone explain how Brian Urlacher got a pass attempt in 2002?

4-4-GB 36 (8:17) (Shotgun) B.Urlacher pass incomplete to P.Mannelly (M.Anderson). Snap went to M.Booker, lateral to Urlacher

Maybe they were lined up in field goal formation (Booker as the holder? Urlacher blocking?). Booker takes the snap and laterals to Urlacher, who then tries to pass it? Mannelly was a tackle, so it's doubtful that Urlacher would have thrown it to him deliberately. Weird.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Mannelly was the long-snapper. Of course, that makes it more bizarre, not less.

SSOG said:
I'm playing around on PFR this evening and I notice a tab at the top labeled "fun". I click on it and I see a link titled "non-quarterback passers" that promises to provide me with a list of every single non-QB to have thrown a pass since 1960. This makes me think of LaDainian Tomlinson and Walter Peyton and their noted passing prowess, which gets me wondering what non-QB has thrown the most passes since the merger. So I click on the link and I sort by the attempts column, and according to PFR the non-quarterback with the most pass attempts since 1960 is... Jimmy Clausen? I mean, I know the guy's been awful, but that seems a little bit harsh...

So what do you all think? Was this an honest mistake, or do you think the good folks at PFR are trying to make a statement? :no:
For some reason they have him as "quarterback" instead of "QB".After that, in terms of attempts, you get to Walter Payton, Marcus Allen, and Antwan Randle El who blows everyone else away.

Here's what gets me: Randle El, of course a former QB at Indiana, is 20/25/281/4/0 lifetime. He's also 78 for 436 & a 5.6 YPC lifetime rushing. Sounds better than Vick; heck sounds better than most QB's in the league, maybe they should have given him a shot at QB when he came out of college, or at least should have made him a bigger part of the gameplan over the years.

SSOG said:
Mr. Retukes said:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Mannelly was the long-snapper. Of course, that makes it more bizarre, not less.
Didn't Urlacher play both ways in college?

Interesting page.

I am really impressed with LT's 7 TDs in 8 completions (12 attempts) with 0 INTs and Randel El's 153.1 QB rating on 25 attempts (LT is 143+).

Users who are viewing this thread