What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush (1 Viewer)

wiscstlatlmia

Footballguy
I think this guy is the reason the saints offense has been mediocre this year. The fact of the matter is the defense worries about him alot more than his numbers show. Did this guy live up to the hype? I realize the numbers will most likely never be there but, the fact is hes the biggest part of a good/borderline great offense.Was he worth the NO. 2 pick in the draft? IMO he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
He wasn't worth the #2 pick, but he is a great, explosive weapon that defenses have to account for. He's certainly not a huge bust, he's just not the between-the-tackle RB people thought he would become. But that's okay, he's a very good football player.

I would contend that he gets as much attention as moss does when hes on the field. A type of player like that is priceless .

At one point, I heard some absurd sounding stat regarding the Saints, and the average length of a play when Bush is in the game and when he's out of the game.

I wish someone had those numbers, because if it was accurate, than yes, he truly is worth the number 2 pick in a draft.

Defenses definetely account for Bush when he's in the game, and losing him and Pierre Thomas has had a big impact on the Saints.

He wasn't worth the #2 pick, but he is a great, explosive weapon that defenses have to account for. He's certainly not a huge bust, he's just not the between-the-tackle RB people thought he would become. But that's okay, he's a very good football player.
if they go back and redraft, i have these 11 players going ahead of reggie bush. so that puts him in the 10-15 range. a 1.02 pick playing the career of a 1.12 pick is not that bad at allmario williams, dbrickishaw, vernon, cutler, haloti, mangold, deangelo, mjd, brandon marshall, elvis drummerville, miles austin

if they go back and redraft, i have these 11 players going ahead of reggie bush. so that puts him in the 10-15 range. a 1.02 pick playing the career of a 1.12 pick is not that bad at allmario williams, dbrickishaw, vernon, cutler, haloti, mangold, deangelo, mjd, brandon marshall, elvis drummerville, miles austin
I agree -- any time you would still be drafted in the 1st several years later there is no way you would be considered a bust.

watch the saints offense when he comes back...they are going to become what they were last year again...its no fluke...its the absence of Bush i have no doubt.
he missed two games in 2009, and 6 games in 2008...and for some reason, I don't remember the Saints offense going thud during those stretches :thumbup: I think its more that the opposing defenses have caught up with the Saints offensive schemes...and with the lack of a power running game, the Saints have no other real options than to roll with what the defenses are gameplanning for.

IMO, they miss Thomas more than Bush.

ETA: meant to say "defenses"

watch the saints offense when he comes back...they are going to become what they were last year again...its no fluke...its the absence of Bush i have no doubt.
he missed two games in 2009, and 6 games in 2008...and for some reason, I don't remember the Saints offense going thud during those stretches :shrug:I think its more that the opposing offenses have caught up with the Saints offensive schemes...and with the lack of a power running game, the Saints have no other real options than to roll with what the defenses are gameplanning for.IMO, they miss Thomas more than Bush.
I think the Saints O is able to absorb the loss of either Bush or Thomas, as both have enough of a skill set to at least somewhat offset the loss of the other ( moreso Thomas, who can be very effective in the receiving RB role ) I'd say that losing both at the same time has hurt more. Neither Betts nor Ivory bring enough to the table to keep defenses off-balance, as each somewhat specializes in one aspect of the Saints RB game.Add one of these guys back, the Saints will look better on O. Add 'em both back, and I think we're pretty much back to what you saw last year.

I think this guy is the reason the saints offense has been mediocre this year. The fact of the matter is the defense worries about him alot more than his numbers show. Did this guy live up to the hype? I realize the numbers will most likely never be there but, the fact is hes the biggest part of a good/borderline great offense.Was he worth the NO. 2 pick in the draft? IMO he is.
Yes I completely agree with this! :yawn: In a sport like Baseball, stats count for 95% at least, especially advanced metrics. The reason is that it is a 1 vs 1 game with very short episodes that can be measured. Football and BAsketball are completely different. These are games of 11 vs 11 or 5 vs 5 where each player affects the value and action of another player and instead of short measurable episodes, you have long periods of fluid action. Take a player like Kobe Bryant. His skill set is so diverse offensively, he is not just a guy that you have to worry about attacking the basket, but someone that will torch you from the outside, in the midrange, coming off screens, playing 1-2's, and even posting up. He then becomes the focal part of the defense's tactics. The first thing they worry about is how to we stop Kobe. Well, no one can stop the guy 1 vs 1, so they bring double teams. And not just double teams close to the basket, but double teams away from the basket. This opens up holes everywhere. Take Pau Gasol for example. Everyone now basically admits that this guy is one of the best big men in the game and the best offensive big man in the game. He has been an allstar and made all-nba teams every year since joining the Lakers and Kobe. Before joining the Lakers? Well, he had made 1 all-star game and no all-nba's in his long career up to that point. And he had won ZERO playoff games. What happened? Did his skills miraculously change once joining the Lakers? Of course not, his situation changed.Reggie Bush seems to have a similar effect. The defense must designate 2 line-backers to cover this guy because you will get burned trying to cover him with 1 LB. Just having 1 safety by his lonesome, also would most likely get you burned. You have to gameplan around him, you can't put a corner on him coming out of the backfield, so you must play a team defense with multiple people having the responsibility to shut him down. This obviously opens holes up everywhere else on the field. His importance is very underestimated. He is without doubt the 2nd most important player on the superbowl winning Saints in my opinion. I'm not sure if this nugget is true, but my buddy said he read that the head coach of the Saints said he was the most important player. I can't see him being more important than Brees though, so it could have been coach speak.

plyka said:
wiscstlatlmia said:
Yes I completely agree with this! :yawn: In a sport like Baseball, stats count for 95% at least, especially advanced metrics. The reason is that it is a 1 vs 1 game with very short episodes that can be measured. Football and BAsketball are completely different. These are games of 11 vs 11 or 5 vs 5 where each player affects the value and action of another player and instead of short measurable episodes, you have long periods of fluid action. Take a player like Kobe Bryant. His skill set is so diverse offensively, he is not just a guy that you have to worry about attacking the basket, but someone that will torch you from the outside, in the midrange, coming off screens, playing 1-2's, and even posting up. He then becomes the focal part of the defense's tactics. The first thing they worry about is how to we stop Kobe. Well, no one can stop the guy 1 vs 1, so they bring double teams. And not just double teams close to the basket, but double teams away from the basket. This opens up holes everywhere. Take Pau Gasol for example. Everyone now basically admits that this guy is one of the best big men in the game and the best offensive big man in the game. He has been an allstar and made all-nba teams every year since joining the Lakers and Kobe. Before joining the Lakers? Well, he had made 1 all-star game and no all-nba's in his long career up to that point. And he had won ZERO playoff games. What happened? Did his skills miraculously change once joining the Lakers? Of course not, his situation changed.Reggie Bush seems to have a similar effect. The defense must designate 2 line-backers to cover this guy because you will get burned trying to cover him with 1 LB. Just having 1 safety by his lonesome, also would most likely get you burned. You have to gameplan around him, you can't put a corner on him coming out of the backfield, so you must play a team defense with multiple people having the responsibility to shut him down. This obviously opens holes up everywhere else on the field. His importance is very underestimated. He is without doubt the 2nd most important player on the superbowl winning Saints in my opinion. I'm not sure if this nugget is true, but my buddy said he read that the head coach of the Saints said he was the most important player. I can't see him being more important than Brees though, so it could have been coach speak.
good stuff man :goodposting:

plyka said:
wiscstlatlmia said:
Yes I completely agree with this! :thumbup: In a sport like Baseball, stats count for 95% at least, especially advanced metrics. The reason is that it is a 1 vs 1 game with very short episodes that can be measured. Football and BAsketball are completely different. These are games of 11 vs 11 or 5 vs 5 where each player affects the value and action of another player and instead of short measurable episodes, you have long periods of fluid action. Take a player like Kobe Bryant. His skill set is so diverse offensively, he is not just a guy that you have to worry about attacking the basket, but someone that will torch you from the outside, in the midrange, coming off screens, playing 1-2's, and even posting up. He then becomes the focal part of the defense's tactics. The first thing they worry about is how to we stop Kobe. Well, no one can stop the guy 1 vs 1, so they bring double teams. And not just double teams close to the basket, but double teams away from the basket. This opens up holes everywhere. Take Pau Gasol for example. Everyone now basically admits that this guy is one of the best big men in the game and the best offensive big man in the game. He has been an allstar and made all-nba teams every year since joining the Lakers and Kobe. Before joining the Lakers? Well, he had made 1 all-star game and no all-nba's in his long career up to that point. And he had won ZERO playoff games. What happened? Did his skills miraculously change once joining the Lakers? Of course not, his situation changed.Reggie Bush seems to have a similar effect. The defense must designate 2 line-backers to cover this guy because you will get burned trying to cover him with 1 LB. Just having 1 safety by his lonesome, also would most likely get you burned. You have to gameplan around him, you can't put a corner on him coming out of the backfield, so you must play a team defense with multiple people having the responsibility to shut him down. This obviously opens holes up everywhere else on the field. His importance is very underestimated. He is without doubt the 2nd most important player on the superbowl winning Saints in my opinion. I'm not sure if this nugget is true, but my buddy said he read that the head coach of the Saints said he was the most important player. I can't see him being more important than Brees though, so it could have been coach speak.
A few weeks ago on the Mike & Mike show they were talking about Reggie Bush. Think there were some other former players/coaches around as well. Basically it came down to if defensive players were lining up and saying I got this guy or that guy, not many would step up and say "I got Reggie Bush".

Magic_Man said:
When is Bush due back?
(Rotoworld) Reggie Bush (leg) will be back in Week 11, reports Profootballtalk.com.Analysis: PFT had previously reported that Bush would be out at least until Week 11. Now it's almost a certainty Bush will return when the Saints come out of the their bye. Only hang on to Bush in deep PPR leagues. He had a total of seven carries in his only two games played this year.Published Mon Nov 1 12:50:00 p.m. ET 2010

plyka said:
wiscstlatlmia said:
Yes I completely agree with this! :clap: In a sport like Baseball, stats count for 95% at least, especially advanced metrics. The reason is that it is a 1 vs 1 game with very short episodes that can be measured. Football and BAsketball are completely different. These are games of 11 vs 11 or 5 vs 5 where each player affects the value and action of another player and instead of short measurable episodes, you have long periods of fluid action. Take a player like Kobe Bryant. His skill set is so diverse offensively, he is not just a guy that you have to worry about attacking the basket, but someone that will torch you from the outside, in the midrange, coming off screens, playing 1-2's, and even posting up. He then becomes the focal part of the defense's tactics. The first thing they worry about is how to we stop Kobe. Well, no one can stop the guy 1 vs 1, so they bring double teams. And not just double teams close to the basket, but double teams away from the basket. This opens up holes everywhere. Take Pau Gasol for example. Everyone now basically admits that this guy is one of the best big men in the game and the best offensive big man in the game. He has been an allstar and made all-nba teams every year since joining the Lakers and Kobe. Before joining the Lakers? Well, he had made 1 all-star game and no all-nba's in his long career up to that point. And he had won ZERO playoff games. What happened? Did his skills miraculously change once joining the Lakers? Of course not, his situation changed.Reggie Bush seems to have a similar effect. The defense must designate 2 line-backers to cover this guy because you will get burned trying to cover him with 1 LB. Just having 1 safety by his lonesome, also would most likely get you burned. You have to gameplan around him, you can't put a corner on him coming out of the backfield, so you must play a team defense with multiple people having the responsibility to shut him down. This obviously opens holes up everywhere else on the field. His importance is very underestimated. He is without doubt the 2nd most important player on the superbowl winning Saints in my opinion. I'm not sure if this nugget is true, but my buddy said he read that the head coach of the Saints said he was the most important player. I can't see him being more important than Brees though, so it could have been coach speak.
:) Randy Moss of RBs

We've had this discussion:

Fantasy-Wise; yes he's a bust.

NFL-Wise; he's been a terrific success. He opens up the Offense.

[/endthread]

Magic_Man said:
When is Bush due back?
(Rotoworld) Reggie Bush (leg) will be back in Week 11, reports Profootballtalk.com.Analysis: PFT had previously reported that Bush would be out at least until Week 11. Now it's almost a certainty Bush will return when the Saints come out of the their bye. Only hang on to Bush in deep PPR leagues. He had a total of seven carries in his only two games played this year.Published Mon Nov 1 12:50:00 p.m. ET 2010
I would imagine that he still probably won't come back until after the bye, but he did have limited participation in regular practice today.

i think he is going to tear it up when he gets back not only because he is a good player but also be cause he is madabout Kim Kardashian dating other dudes now like austin miles and so forth and that bodyguard she hooked up with that episode.

he missed two games in 2009, and 6 games in 2008...and for some reason, I don't remember the Saints offense going thud during those stretches :thumbup: I think its more that the opposing defenses have caught up with the Saints offensive schemes...and with the lack of a power running game, the Saints have no other real options than to roll with what the defenses are gameplanning for.

IMO, they miss Thomas more than Bush.

ETA: meant to say "defenses"
I would agree. Wouldn't he have to be on the field more over the last four years for this theory to pan out? Last year they limited his touches per game to the lowest in his career and they have a monster offensive season and the OP sees the lack of Reggie as the reason the Saints aren't putting up strong numbers?2006 - 16 games played, 8 starts - 243 touches for 15/game

2007 - 12 games played, 10 starts - 230 touches for 19/game

2008 - 10 games played, 9 starts - 158 touches for 15.8/game

2009 - 14 games played, 8 starts - 117 touches for 8.36/game

Reggie Bush was the reason they had a monster season last year and the Saints are sucking this year? The more they limit the guy, it seemed, the better he did and they did. His YPC inched higher every year as his touches dropped. When they severely cut them back, he had his best YPC ever at 5.6 (previous high was 3.8).

Bush was never an established running threat. He was a nice receiver out of the backfield but wasn't much of a runner. Once they had to leave someone in the box to account for Thomas, then Brees had a field day. Without Thomas in there, we're finding out that a little extra help on Colston is all a D needs to stop the Saints passing attack because they can do so with only rushing four.

yea i dont really agree with this topic at all. not an above average player. he is however probably better than ladell betts and chris ivory so there is some merit to what youre saying but not much. they were an incredible offense last year some of this is probably just regression to the mean maybe they got figured out. i remember them being much better at the start of last year than the end/playoffs but maybe thats my imagination. i mean for example they got absolutely killed by the vikings in the nfc championship game and somehow lucked into a win.

'wiscstlatlmia said:
You waited for what, 1 series in the first game of the season, to bump your own post from almost a year ago? :thumbdown: Nothing I've seen today has changed my opinion that no, Reggie Bush was not at all worth the #2 pick in the draft.
Your use of commas is awful, but you're right about bush.
Yeah I was really confused about how to properly punctuate that first sentence (probably because it's not a real sentence). I stand by my comma in the second sentence!

RB6 in my PPR league today - if he can stay healthy, he'll outproduce his adp by a few rounds this year.
that's the difference between the NFL and FFB. If his YPC stays that low, he won't be starting long. Those stats look good in FFB but in the NFL, those stats (which are pretty standard for his career), got him dumped for next to nothing.

Reggie Bush is awful.
:goodposting:20 touches last night. 14 for 5 yards or less! Yeah!Only one touch of more than 10 yards after the 1st series ...Henne has a career night; a once in a life-time night. Bush ends up with 3.45 ypr and 6.22 ypr and you are seriously excited?You Bush lovers are really a treat!

Reggie Bush is awful.
:goodposting:20 touches last night. 14 for 5 yards or less! Yeah!Only one touch of more than 10 yards after the 1st series ...Henne has a career night; a once in a life-time night. Bush ends up with 3.45 ypr and 6.22 ypr and you are seriously excited?You Bush lovers are really a treat!
He has one 100 yd rushing game in his career. After watching him last night, he clearly has lost a step. Not interested.

RB6 in my PPR league today - if he can stay healthy, he'll outproduce his adp by a few rounds this year.
that's the difference between the NFL and FFB. If his YPC stays that low, he won't be starting long. Those stats look good in FFB but in the NFL, those stats (which are pretty standard for his career), got him dumped for next to nothing.
Who is going to be starting, the underwhelming rookie? The numbers weren't great, but it was only 11 carries against a pretty good defense that got to him in the backfield a few times.Last night was just about what I expect out of Bush- decent but not great yardage totals with a TD every other week or so. He obviously isn't a stud, but I still think his biggest obstacle is going to be health- if he can stay healthy, I don't see Thomas cutting into his workload significantly and I expect him to be a solid #2 RB.

I

Reggie Bush is awful.
He has one 100 yd rushing game in his career. After watching him last night, he clearly has lost a step. Not interested.
I think you should be. His YPC was low because they kept trying to run him up the middle. That's not his game. But he's the main guy, he's getting the touches, and I don't anticipate this changing unless/until he gets hurt.Fantasy football is all about opportunity, much more so than talent. There are very few RBs in the league who are their teams main man with virtually no competition for carries. Right now, Reggie Bush is one of those guys. That makes him an automatic RB1, IMO, for as long as it lasts.

Reggie Bush is awful.
ADP of RB28Feature back in an offense with a suspect defensePure gold as a Flex play (at that ADP easily could have been drafted in that role)RB #5 in PPR after Week 1This is how you play the game.Hating on him is not going to make up for passing him over in your draft.

Reggie Bush is awful.
:goodposting: 20 touches last night. 14 for 5 yards or less! Yeah!

Only one touch of more than 10 yards after the 1st series ...

Henne has a career night; a once in a life-time night. Bush ends up with 3.45 ypr and 6.22 ypr and you are seriously excited?

You Bush lovers are really a treat!
ADP of RB28Feature back in an offense with a suspect defense

Pure gold as a Flex play (at that ADP easily could have been drafted in that role)

RB #5 in PPR after Week 1

This is how you play the game.

Hating on him is not going to make up for passing him over in your draft.
And this is how you get housed because you can't see beyond the fantasy numbers. If Reggie can only run for 3.5/carry, he's not going to be a starter in the NFL. They force fed the ball to Reggie on a team with a high powered O for years and finally had to change him to a scat back to get his best numbers of his career. Keep looking at all those catches and him getting all the touches and pretty soon you're going to wonder why he's no longer the starter and some underwhelming 2nd rounder is getting force fed the ball to get something going because they need more than 3 yards a carry in the NFL.

This just in, no NFL coach gives a damn about your FFB team. If the guys getting the touches can't help them win ball games, they will bench them for other guys. Why does Addai keep getting touches? Because he's a great RB? No. Because he kept Manning upright and that was more important to the Colts than a 5.0 YPC. FFB owners hate on Addai because he's not a great back, but the Colts love him because he wins them games by keeping Manning on the field. See how important that is now that Kerry Collins is the QB? Where would Manning and the Colts be with a better RB who didn't pass block as well? Manning would've missed his first game a lot sooner than this.

Stop looking at the points he got you last night and start worrying about the guy looking no different than he has his entire career. That performance will win you games in FFB but Not For Long. The Dolphins don't have 2nd overall signing bonus invested in him. They can bench him at any time and if that rook shows anything it will be sooner rather than later and Reggie Bush will very quickly become an older Dexter McCluster....

Reggie Bush is awful.

Henne has a career night; a once in a life-time night. Bush ends up with 3.45 ypr and 6.22 ypr and you are seriously excited?

Pure gold as a Flex play (at that ADP easily could have been drafted in that role)

And this is how you get housed because you can't see beyond the fantasy numbers. If Reggie can only run for 3.5/carry, he's not going to be a starter in the NFL. They force fed the ball to Reggie on a team with a high powered O for years and finally had to change him to a scat back to get his best numbers of his career. Keep looking at all those catches and him getting all the touches and pretty soon you're going to wonder why he's no longer the starter and some underwhelming 2nd rounder is getting force fed the ball to get something going because they need more than 3 yards a carry in the NFL.

This just in, no NFL coach gives a damn about your FFB team. If the guys getting the touches can't help them win ball games, they will bench them for other guys. Why does Addai keep getting touches? Because he's a great RB? No. Because he kept Manning upright and that was more important to the Colts than a 5.0 YPC. FFB owners hate on Addai because he's not a great back, but the Colts love him because he wins them games by keeping Manning on the field. See how important that is now that Kerry Collins is the QB? Where would Manning and the Colts be with a better RB who didn't pass block as well? Manning would've missed his first game a lot sooner than this.

Stop looking at the points he got you last night and start worrying about the guy looking no different than he has his entire career. That performance will win you games in FFB but Not For Long. The Dolphins don't have 2nd overall signing bonus invested in him. They can bench him at any time and if that rook shows anything it will be sooner rather than later and Reggie Bush will very quickly become an older Dexter McCluster....
Couldn't disagree more. I thought he finished his runs well last night, much more than he used to, and the Patriots made a strong effort to take him out of the game after the first drive of the game. Haynesworth and Wilfork are going to be tough to run on up the middle for just about any team, and I'm not entirely sure why they didn't let Bush carry off tackle more often. Bush is going to be the focal point of that offense as long as he's healthy and he runs with authority. Is he ever going to be a guy who makes a living as a bruising back pounding it up the middle? Probably not. But if he can even be reasonably productive doing that and they can mix in some sweeps and receptions, he's going to be a very productive player for both fantasy purposes and real-life.

Reggie Bush is awful.

??? Did you miss taking him in your draft?? This guy has always been valuable in FF.. and he will continue to get all the carries.. he looked good all around.. the Dolphins just didn't give him a chance to Run at all in the second half... they literally gave up on the running game to try and keep up with Brady.. which is why they lost.. and why they couldn't sustain any long drives and lost the game...Reggie Bush's only knock is his ability to stay healthy...

Quite amusing guy uses the Addai example -- he made your point for you! Bush was great in pass pro and had some nice blocks.Real nice to get a steal at his ADP

Have a good season

-S

I thought Bush had a pretty nice game. He's gonna be a nice play in PPR leagues this year especially considering if he is on your roster you got him as an after thought.

Henne is inconsistent throwing the ball down field. I got tired of seeing him over throw his receivers. Fasano and Marshall bailed him out making ridiculous cathces a few times. Don't know if it was the game plan or just Henne's inability to get confortable looking down field, but he looked to Bush a lot. And I think part of the blame for Bush not having a better night is due to the predictability of what Henne was gonna do every time. The Pats knew Henne was gonna dump off to Bush pretty much anytime they had more than 7 yards to go.

And I did notice Bush pick up some nice blitz pickups. I think they will continue to force him the ball and I can see him getting 20 touches per game easy.

'TheFanatic said:
'PhantomJB said:
'Dancing Bear said:
Reggie Bush is awful.

The guy has two 20 carry games in his career. Its been pointed on many occasions on this board that when Bush has been given the opportunity he has consistently produced. You wanna call him injury prone? I'm with you. The guy has been glass. But to say he's only valuable in FFB is laughable especially when you support that argument by pointing to skills he actually possesses such as pass blocking. The question around Bush always comes back to his draft position...my question has always been why draft a RB in that position when you have no plans of actually allowing him to run? He's not an every down back because he's not in on every down. He's not a guy who carries a full load because he's never been asked to carry a full load. He doesn't gain a ton of yards between the tackles because plays rarely call for him to run between the tackles. Put the nonsense hype and expectations aside in the criticism and realize that Bush is exactly what he's been asked to be...a valuable asset in both the running and passing game.

'Steelers4Life said:
'TheFanatic said:
'PhantomJB said:
'Dancing Bear said:
Reggie Bush is awful.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought he finished his runs well last night, much more than he used to, and the Patriots made a strong effort to take him out of the game after the first drive of the game.
He ran through a few holes early, but he went down on first contact all night. Maybe we weren't watching the same game.

if he had not gotten the garbage time TD, his numbers would look really bad. Miami looks to be a throw first team now and the RBs will struggle to score TDs most of the time imo. I dont think bush is the starter past mid season due to injury or not being effective , just a hunch.

I guess hes better than Larry Johnson though, right? :popcorn:

If you look at the RBs the dolphins have on their roster, you could say they really stopped caring about the position. Question is why not keep just one of Ronnie Brown or Ricky Williams? Either of those guys is better than what they have now

Users who are viewing this thread