What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Troy Smith (1 Viewer)

CrazyHorse1581

Footballguy
Haven't heard his name mentioned as a possible breakout candidate. I think he makes the most of his opportunity and holds down the job for the rest of the year. The coaches obviously saw something in him to vault him over Carr for the starting gig while Alex is hurt. The weapons around him are very good, he's a smart player with a ton of athletic ability, not to mention he should get you some decent rushing numbers at the QB spot as well.

SF Homers what say you?

he was brought up a lot the last few seasons. he was suppose to be the starting qb for baltimore but he got sick and flacco started as a rookie.

he was talked about to have starting quality skills, but a low ceiling. i think that still applies. best case he is an avg ff qb2 next year. imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone post background info on Troy Smith? Strengths, weaknesses, ability?
above average scrambling and athletic ability, supposedly quality decision making but small sample set with high caliber defenses, not very tall and below average arm strength.

I'm not sure it's because they saw something in him or they saw Carr play that caused them to make the switch. Either way, a lot of us SF homers are excited. He looked pretty good running the offense despite only having one week to learn the playbook. Singletary kept comparing him to a Favre pass (still not sure what he meant, but it was meant as a good thing). Most importantly imo, he didn't check down constantly. He was able to scramble to buy time but didn't scramble for yards the moment pressure came. He usually kept his eyes downfield.

Negatives - short. Singletary took way too long to name him the starter vs. the Rams, and even when he announced it he seemed rather unenthusiastic about it. In fact he made it fairly clear Alex Smith will be the starter when he's healthy. I can only pray that is coachspeak but he's just dumb enough I don't really know.

ETA - Alex Smith: 1 - 6. Troy Smith: 1-0. Troy Smith in his FIRST game matched the team high point total for the year (24).

I'll be playing Troy this weekend over Kitna but that's partially due to my homerism. I won't be surprised to see Alex Smith get the job back the following week. As much as that thought disgusts me.

:unsure:

he looked good in London, was poised and able to buy himself time, made the throws he was supposed to make, couple of lucky plays but not bad for first start. I think he has a great shot at keeping the job and his schedule is nice too.

he did look OK in London, plus he had a BYE week and a normal week of practice @ QB1, I'd say he's got the potential.

I'm concerned about Vernon Davis' value with Troy as the QB. Can any SF homers help me not worry about him?
I wouldn't worry. There's still not a lot to pass to, and Vernon is an elite option. He got hurt last game. The other te had 85 yards. As long as Vernon is healthy you're good.To an above poster - Troy Smith doesn't have a weak arm. He's not exactly Kyle Boller throwing from his knees at the 50 but he'll have no problem flinging it about.

above average scrambling and athletic ability, supposedly quality decision making but small sample set with high caliber defenses, not very tall and below average arm strength.
he has fine arm strength and good accuracy. his arm strength actually checked out very well at the combine.his biggest knock used to be his height, but now i would be more concerned with his long drought of meaningful playing time.

im curious as to why people always ask about a specific player and then ask the fans of the team or the "homers" what to make of him

what makes you think we know more about him than you? he didnt practice all season until last week, and you know as much as we do about who will be starting sunday, or you could do a quick google search

im curious as to why people always ask about a specific player and then ask the fans of the team or the "homers" what to make of himwhat makes you think we know more about him than you?
Because hometown fans read more about their team, follow local coverage (which is always more intimate and knowledgeable), watch every play of every game, and thus can tell you little things that the causal national fan wouldn't know. Hometown fans can be an authority on their teams. I know I feel this way about the Buffalo Bills....or at least I did before I stopped watching them (self-defense against depression).In this case, a hometown Niner's fan might have seen Troy work in practice, or read some assistant coach comments that didn't make it to the national media, or had a few drinks with Troy one night by the docks, and one thing led to another, and viola! all us lucky FBGs can know every supple inch of his muscular body. I know I want to know if he's hung like OJ. I want to know if my starting QB this week is a confident guy or if he's constantly worried that someone will expose him for the 4inch fraud that he is. This is important stuff.

im curious as to why people always ask about a specific player and then ask the fans of the team or the "homers" what to make of himwhat makes you think we know more about him than you?
Because hometown fans read more about their team, follow local coverage (which is always more intimate and knowledgeable), watch every play of every game, and thus can tell you little things that the causal national fan wouldn't know. Hometown fans can be an authority on their teams. I know I feel this way about the Buffalo Bills....or at least I did before I stopped watching them (self-defense against depression).In this case, a hometown Niner's fan might have seen Troy work in practice, or read some assistant coach comments that didn't make it to the national media, or had a few drinks with Troy one night by the docks, and one thing led to another, and viola! all us lucky FBGs can know every supple inch of his muscular body. I know I want to know if he's hung like OJ. I want to know if my starting QB this week is a confident guy or if he's constantly worried that someone will expose him for the 4inch fraud that he is. This is important stuff.
Nobody in SF knows much about the guy. He had a pretty good game against Denver, but leaned pretty heavily on Walker, someone who had been mentoring him during his 1 week of practice. Singletary gave the team the week off during the bye, and T. Smith went home to Ohio instead of working out in Santa Clara, which some have perceived as a red flag. By contrast, A. Smith spent the week at headquarters rehabbing.SF fans are pretty high on Troy right now, but that's likely only because he looked good compared to A. Smith and Carr. The STL game this week should be telling.

brtdud7 said:
im curious as to why people always ask about a specific player and then ask the fans of the team or the "homers" what to make of himwhat makes you think we know more about him than you? he didnt practice all season until last week, and you know as much as we do about who will be starting sunday, or you could do a quick google search
Because, if you're anything like me you're listening to local sports talk radio, watching the local news and have a pretty good overall vibe of what direction your favorite team is moving. How the coaches feel about him, how the teammates feel, etc. Google doesn't provide that.

thecatch said:
dharmapunk said:
brtdud7 said:
Nobody in SF knows much about the guy. He had a pretty good game against Denver, but leaned pretty heavily on Walker, someone who had been mentoring him during his 1 week of practice. Singletary gave the team the week off during the bye, and T. Smith went home to Ohio instead of working out in Santa Clara, which some have perceived as a red flag. By contrast, A. Smith spent the week at headquarters rehabbing.SF fans are pretty high on Troy right now, but that's likely only because he looked good compared to A. Smith and Carr. The STL game this week should be telling.
Hilarious! Much better than my response.

cvnpoka said:
basher said:
steelwind said:
he has fine arm strength and good accuracy. his arm strength actually checked out very well at the combine.his biggest knock used to be his height, but now i would be more concerned with his long drought of meaningful playing time.
I saw a lot of games of Smith's in the Big10. You are right, he has good accuracy but I watched him skip a lot of outs because he just didn't have the strength to hit the throw. I am also curious how his deep ball is. It has been a LONG time since I (or anyone) has seen him consistently throw so it should be interesting.

thecatch said:
SF fans are pretty high on Troy right now, but that's likely only because he looked good compared to A. Smith and Carr. The STL game this week should be telling.
Regarding this week I expect a low scoring affair. Rested defenses that know well the below average offenses they'll be facing.

brtdud7 said:
im curious as to why people always ask about a specific player and then ask the fans of the team or the "homers" what to make of himwhat makes you think we know more about him than you? he didnt practice all season until last week, and you know as much as we do about who will be starting sunday, or you could do a quick google search
Because Niners games aren't normally televised nationally, so they can't see every play. Btw, one thing that stood out was how pumped T.Smith was after his TDs, he would run all the way down the field and celebrate with Crabtree and they were both stoked about it. He was also def on the same page with Walker. I noticing the good leadership skills assessment as he brought confidence on the field and the players seemed to be connecting with him pretty well. That was one game, we shall see this week.

regardless of the outcome, you gotta be impressed with troys play today. he actually has shown pretty damn good arm strength and a great ability to throw on the move today. that and poise, intensity and seeming ability to "rally the troops" /cliche. but seriously, overcoming the emotional roller coaster of 3 phenomenal tds called back was impressive.

Looks very good so far, but he has the bad habit of just heaving the ball up for grabs if he gets in trouble.

Hasn't hurt him in first two games this season, but all few of those balls will end up as INTs before too long.

Looks very good so far, but he has the bad habit of just heaving the ball up for grabs if he gets in trouble.Hasn't hurt him in first two games this season, but all few of those balls will end up as INTs before too long.
and some will end up as tds. nothing wrong with letting davis and crabtree make plays on balls. id say its generally worth the gamble depending on game situation. down by 7 on a 3rd and 22 certainly qualifies.

He looks like everything Nate Davis fans thought Davis could be - good mobility, arm strength, ability to make plays out of nothing. Very impressive game today and there's no doubt he'll start the rest of the year.

Looks very good so far, but he has the bad habit of just heaving the ball up for grabs if he gets in trouble.Hasn't hurt him in first two games this season, but all few of those balls will end up as INTs before too long.
and some will end up as tds. nothing wrong with letting davis and crabtree make plays on balls. id say its generally worth the gamble depending on game situation. down by 7 on a 3rd and 22 certainly qualifies.
I agree with you 100%.However, when those heaves take place in much less desirable spots (as at least 3 or so others have), those need to be looked at.All the above said, Smith appears to have some skills...Surprised it's taken this long for an NFL team to give him a real opportunity.

As a long time Smith supporter and OSU fan I couldn't be happier for this situation to play out like it has. I had lingering doubts after Baltimore let him go but I figured it had a lot to do with how dumb Cam Cameron is. He never favored TSmith as a backup. Arizona is another team I was surprised to see pass up on him. A lot of people on this board have bashed and bashed and bashed him since the LSU game but never looked at the whole picture. Smith is short but he has a gun, has above average accuracy and can make plays with his feet. The 49ers should give him the shot to play the rest of the way and see what he can do with a larger grasp of the offense and the defense more keenly game planing against him.

As a long time Smith supporter and OSU fan I couldn't be happier for this situation to play out like it has. I had lingering doubts after Baltimore let him go but I figured it had a lot to do with how dumb Cam Cameron is. He never favored TSmith as a backup. Arizona is another team I was surprised to see pass up on him. A lot of people on this board have bashed and bashed and bashed him since the LSU game but never looked at the whole picture. Smith is short but he has a gun, has above average accuracy and can make plays with his feet. The 49ers should give him the shot to play the rest of the way and see what he can do with a larger grasp of the offense and the defense more keenly game planing against him.
eh, cam cameron played it fine and really the only way. he tried to give smith the starting job his 2nd yr (flaccos rookie) but troy somehow caught some crazy infection that put him in the hospital for 2 weeks. then prototypical qb flacco played well and showed promise his rookie year and there was really no reason to put troy in the starting mix from there.

eh, cam cameron played it fine and really the only way. he tried to give smith the starting job his 2nd yr (flaccos rookie) but troy somehow caught some crazy infection that put him in the hospital for 2 weeks. then prototypical qb flacco played well and showed promise his rookie year and there was really no reason to put troy in the starting mix from there.
I wasn't really saying to start him. I was saying that as a backup Cameron always seemed to not like Smith and was looking to replace him. You know, because Cameron is a genius. Just ask the Dolphins.

I wasn't really saying to start him. I was saying that as a backup Cameron always seemed to not like Smith and was looking to replace him. You know, because Cameron is a genius. Just ask the Dolphins.
I don't think Troy had a bad game against LSU since he never played them. Florida is another story, in that game with Ted Ginn out he still kept wanting to go deep and never dumped the pass off to his runningback and got squashed. I think he likes going for the big play, which is okay in fantasy football, but could hurt him if he throws up some INTs. I think he has some ability to be good and let's hope he can continue to progress, so far so good.

He def has earned another start. And with left tackle Staley out 4-6 weeks the Niners will need to rely on Troy's mobility and improv from now on. I'm not sure if they can trust Alex Smith in the pocket. Anyone agree with this?

He def has earned another start. And with left tackle Staley out 4-6 weeks the Niners will need to rely on Troy's mobility and improv from now on. I'm not sure if they can trust Alex Smith in the pocket. Anyone agree with this?
He looked okay in London but actually looked really good yesterday. He had what, four TD passes called back by penalty? His numbers were awesome even without those! That wasn't a terrible defense he was up against either. Unless he gets hurt or starts playing really badly, I think SF will play him the rest of the year to see what they have. They might have caught lightning in a bottle!

Cheesedawg said:
steelwind said:
He looked okay in London but actually looked really good yesterday. He had what, four TD passes called back by penalty? His numbers were awesome even without those! That wasn't a terrible defense he was up against either. Unless he gets hurt or starts playing really badly, I think SF will play him the rest of the year to see what they have. They might have caught lightning in a bottle!
i do suspect that they are going to ride troy smith as long as they can this year. they will definitely evaluate him. they pretty much know what they have with alex smith now and they are fighting for their playoff hopes. despite the yardage yesterday, i still don't think they have "lightning in a bottle" but they might have a credible, balanced offense available. they don't want to get away from gore even if they have a capable passing game.

If he is not the starter for the next game then Singletary needs to be fired.
Troy should start, and Mike should be fired regardless.
:unsure: At the very least I would expect a Singletary run franchise to not look so sloppy. I lost count of the number of penalties. This was the first time in a long time I felt like we weren't dead in the water after a touchdown got called back. If Alex were in I would give a shrug and say oh well, there went our chance. Also, was it just me or did it seem like a LOT of Troy's passes were batted down? Still, he looked amazing. I realize my perception is skewed after watching Alex for the last few years, but I'm actually excited about our qb situation.

Troy Smith is confirmed starter for next week vs Tampa, per Singletary's press conference. When asked if Troy was starter fo the rest of the year he replied it's a week to week decision.

Announcement came much faster than week 10. Momentum is swinging in Troy Smith's direction.

"Coach Mike Singletary confirmed Monday that Troy Smith will remain the 49ers' starting quarterback in Week 11.

The Niners play the Bucs next. Alex Smith (shoulder) might be healthy enough to back up Troy Smith, but the former Heisman winner has clearly earned the full-time starting job with back-to-back victories over the Broncos and Rams. Barring a multi-game flop by Troy, we shouldn't see Alex again this year."

3rd down conversion numbers was very concerning. He also had a "brain fart" that was almost intercepted and would of cost us a FG, but overall a starting QB worthy performance from Troy. Great poise the rest of the game.

I don't think Troy had a bad game against LSU since he never played them. Florida is another story, in that game with Ted Ginn out he still kept wanting to go deep and never dumped the pass off to his runningback and got squashed. I think he likes going for the big play, which is okay in fantasy football, but could hurt him if he throws up some INTs. I think he has some ability to be good and let's hope he can continue to progress, so far so good.
My bad... I could have sworn that was LSU. Two ### whoopings in a row makes me want to forget about both games.

Troy Smith is confirmed starter for next week vs Tampa, per Singletary's press conference. When asked if Troy was starter fo the rest of the year he replied it's a week to week decision.
:confetti:
Why won't singletary just commit to Troy for the rest of the season?!?!?
CYA. If Troy starts sucking horribly he can easily make the switch. It's a non issue so long as Troy keeps playing above average.

Why won't singletary just commit to Troy for the rest of the season?!?!?
He's trying to keep Troy motivated. Deep down Singletary wants Troy to be the guy (because they are winning with him) but he does not want to make it easy for him.
I really don't think this is the reason. I think it's as simple as an inexperienced and lousy coach keeping his options open so he won't look like a total idiot if Troy starts playing like a 3rd string qb. It's easier to switch back to Alex if you don't say he's the backup moving forward.

Exactly, did you see the td catch that Vernon had that was called back because of holding? That catch was sick.

Users who are viewing this thread