Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Sales position... no clue on a good package

CicncyKid

Does anyone have an idea of a good package for an entry level sales position?

What kind of commission, base salary, car expenses, etc. should be expected? Trying to help my good friend out and I have never worked in sales.

Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea of a good package for an entry level sales position?What kind of commission, base salary, car expenses, etc. should be expected? Trying to help my good friend out and I have never worked in sales.Thanks!

$90k base, 1% of gross for commission, $500/month for the car, cell phone allowance, etc.You really need to provide more info to hope to get a decent answer. What kind of sales job etc?

yikes I don't know... I am sure it isn't life insurance. It might be tech software?

This likely wouldn't be considered entry level, unless he's getting in as an Inside rep. If that's the case, he can expect no car allowance, and very little commission.

It can be all over the board, especially for sales. If he's college educated, and it's a decent sized company, then he should have a plan with a minimum 40-50K base plus a variable comp/commission plan that will match the base, with upside potential. As for car allowance, most companies just pay all reasonable expenses with a mileage allowance of approx .50 per.

If he's workin' the boiler room on the phones for some shady product, it could be commission only..

When I was in sales I would simply ask 2 questions on the interview.

1. Throw out the top guy and the bottom guy, what does the avg salesman in your company make yearly?

If they can't answer that question or give you some kind of smartie answer like "Sales is unlimited earning potential", I usually am heading to the door. Most folks know what you are asking. I don't like managers who play games and say things like "Are you just going to be an avg salesperson?" You can find out a lot about a company and if anyone is making any money by asking that question upfront.

2. What is the avg length of employment for your salespeople?

I want to know what the turnover ratio is. If they are running a new salesperson each week thru the company then they either have problems with their product, are priced too high, something is wrong if the avg tenure of their employees is 6 months. I know sales people are fickle but when we find something that works we stay put.

IMO most sales people who follow what they are supposed to do, are dilligent and not time bandits or wasters should be able to make $50,000-$100,000 year depending on what part of the country they are in fairly easily. I know guys that make $250,000-$500,000+ a year but those are usually exceptions not the rule. I would never work a sales job where the avg paycheck over the year is under $50,000...just not worth the headaches usually...gotta make $1,000-$1,500+ a week.

Potential and reality are two different things as well. Managers will tell say "You have the potential to make $100,000+ a year"...but if no one on their staff is doing it and no one has done it yet, IMO that line is a load of BS.

It can be all over the board, especially for sales. If he's college educated, and it's a decent sized company, then he should have a plan with a minimum 40-50K base plus a variable comp/commission plan that will match the base, with upside potential. As for car allowance, most companies just pay all reasonable expenses with a mileage allowance of approx .50 per.If he's workin' the boiler room on the phones for some shady product, it could be commission only..

:crazy: especially for the lack of info provided. I've sold Software for over 10 years and am currently in the market for a new position. Seeking base of 30k+ and commision. Selling face to face and via internet demo. Pm if anyone has any good leads. Thx

"Can anyone tell me what car to buy? I need it to have 4 wheels and an engine of some sort. Thanks."

:crazy: :lmao:My salary is less than 25k. It's terrible. But my commission and bonuses net me 50-60 k per year (usually around 55). Plus a company gas card and it's a sweet deal. I've had jobs with a much higher salary but awful bonus packages...I can't think of any field other than sales that is going to lead to such a massive divide between the highs and lows.

"Can anyone tell me what car to buy? I need it to have 4 wheels and an engine of some sort. Thanks."

:crazy::lmao: My salary is less than 25k. It's terrible. But my commission and bonuses net me 50-60 k per year (usually around 55). Plus a company gas card and it's a sweet deal. I've had jobs with a much higher salary but awful bonus packages...I can't think of any field other than sales that is going to lead to such a massive divide between the highs and lows.
ThisI have had commish only jobs and there usually is a reason the company won't give a starting salary (They run thru people like water). If the starting salary is too high like 50-75k+ then you usually have a small commish plan and little incentive to do much. I like a salary in the 30k range and a comm/bonus plan that allows you to make north of 75k total and a realistic shot at 100k+ if you are really booking it.

:crazy:

:lmao:

My salary is less than 25k. It's terrible. But my commission and bonuses net me 50-60 k per year (usually around 55). Plus a company gas card and it's a sweet deal. I've had jobs with a much higher salary but awful bonus packages...I can't think of any field other than sales that is going to lead to such a massive divide between the highs and lows.

NFL Player?

Sign 5 year/30MIL contract, get cut year 2 and end up signing a 1 year 300k deal

:goodposting:

:lmao:

My salary is less than 25k. It's terrible. But my commission and bonuses net me 50-60 k per year (usually around 55). Plus a company gas card and it's a sweet deal. I've had jobs with a much higher salary but awful bonus packages...I can't think of any field other than sales that is going to lead to such a massive divide between the highs and lows.

NFL Player?

Sign 5 year/30MIL contract, get cut year 2 and end up signing a 1 year 300k deal

Radio?

Anywhere from minimum wage to $100 million a year (Howard Stern).

I want to know what the turnover ratio is. If they are running a new salesperson each week thru the company then they either have problems with their product, are priced too high, something is wrong if the avg tenure of their employees is 6 months. I know sales people are fickle but when we find something that works we stay put.

100% incorrect. We pay our entry level sales people a low wage on purpose. Entry level sales positions are about following scripts and systems. In essence, anyone should be able to do entry level sales. As a result, we try to pay the lowest wage possible for that role. And when the person has experience and realizes they understand the sales process to do better, we either promote them or wish them well on the way out the door. A lack of turnover in entry-level sales positions in an organization is an indicator that the salespeople are overpaid. However, if you do find a job where the entry level people have been in the role for longer then 18 months on average then you should take that as a sign that the pay is above-grade for what you will be doing.

IMO most sales people who follow what they are supposed to do, are dilligent and not time bandits or wasters should be able to make $50,000-$100,000 year depending on what part of the country they are in fairly easily. I know guys that make $250,000-$500,000+ a year but those are usually exceptions not the rule. I would never work a sales job where the avg paycheck over the year is under $50,000...just not worth the headaches usually...gotta make $1,000-$1,500+ a week.

Disgree here as well - The TTC (Total Target Comp) for an ISR 1 at Dell is under $40k. That is NOT an entry level position but rather one step above the phone queue and to make near 40k they would have to exceed their annual quota. An ISR 2 is not much more then that and I think an ISR 4 (the highest level) tops out at $50k TTC. To make 100k in that position you would have to completely blow out your number, which is hard to do. This doesn't factor in benefits so I suppose the total comp for these positions is over closer to $50k. But if you are trying to get in to sales then you are concerned about cash, I would assume, and not benefits.

100% incorrect. We pay our entry level sales people a low wage on purpose. Entry level sales positions are about following scripts and systems. In essence, anyone should be able to do entry level sales. As a result, we try to pay the lowest wage possible for that role. And when the person has experience and realizes they understand the sales process to do better, we either promote them or wish them well on the way out the door. A lack of turnover in entry-level sales positions in an organization is an indicator that the salespeople are overpaid. However, if you do find a job where the entry level people have been in the role for longer then 18 months on average then you should take that as a sign that the pay is above-grade for what you will be doing.

Disgree here as well - The TTC (Total Target Comp) for an ISR 1 at Dell is under $40k. That is NOT an entry level position but rather one step above the phone queue and to make near 40k they would have to exceed their annual quota. An ISR 2 is not much more then that and I think an ISR 4 (the highest level) tops out at $50k TTC. To make 100k in that position you would have to completely blow out your number, which is hard to do. This doesn't factor in benefits so I suppose the total comp for these positions is over closer to $50k. But if you are trying to get in to sales then you are concerned about cash, I would assume, and not benefits.
We're not talking about the same thing. And maybe I missed the OP. I am talking about sales jobs where the phone is a requirement but eventually you are going to meet face to face or b2b with some folks. You are talking about telemarketing sales positions or inside sales positions where folks sit and wait for the phone to ring, that's different. I did those jobs too when I was a youngster, usually made in the 35-55k range that you speak of but eventually you realize where the real money is.

We're not talking about the same thing. And maybe I missed the OP. I am talking about sales jobs where the phone is a requirement but eventually you are going to meet face to face or b2b with some folks. You are talking about telemarketing sales positions or inside sales positions where folks sit and wait for the phone to ring, that's different. I did those jobs too when I was a youngster, usually made in the 35-55k range that you speak of but eventually you realize where the real money is.

:thumbup: Gotcha. I think any face-to-face or outside sales job is not really "entry level" per se unless you are selling picture frames door to door. If the OP doesn't have any sales experience, I would encourage him to find a true entry level place and work his way up. Being an outside rep for anything requires organization and techniques that can be learned but can't be taught. He needs to get experience understanding the flow of sales in general and the flow of his sector. He needs to learn the skills and acquire the tools necessary to do a good job without a lot of hand holding. I have seen MANY outside reps devolve in to sitting on the couch watching TV because they are so lost they don't know what to do.

Archived