What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jacoby Ford ..... (1 Viewer)

Romofan

Footballguy
I like the BOLD call....don't know if I have the cajones to play him but I admire the moxy!

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, considering the Raiders will be down 21-0 by the midpoint of the 2nd quarter, you always have to feel good about a WR on a team that's down by several scores.

That being said, his QB is Jason Campbell, who is only slightly better than Rusty Smith at this point. :thumbup:

you can temper that enthusiasm a bit, Bloom also had Jahvid Best as RB#1 (or #2) the week Detroit played Buffalo, how'd that work out?? :yucky:

I like Bloom's ballsy approach, but sometimes he swings for the fences and strikes out completely..

It's a bold call. I might be tempted to rank him that high in leagues that count return yards. He's only had 2 huge weeks so I wouldn't be so bold as to rank him that high w/o return yards against a decent defense like SD.

Following somoone elses rankings, shows that you need help running a team, I'm just sayin! :yucky:

Make your own, then you will have no one to blame but yourself, otherwise I would be mad at the world, lol.

Ford shown he has talent, other than that, use your gut.

Well, considering the Raiders will be down 21-0 by the midpoint of the 2nd quarter, you always have to feel good about a WR on a team that's down by several scores.That being said, his QB is Jason Campbell, who is only slightly better than Rusty Smith at this point. :)
:yucky:

you can temper that enthusiasm a bit, Bloom also had Jahvid Best as RB#1 (or #2) the week Detroit played Buffalo, how'd that work out?? :yucky: I like Bloom's ballsy approach, but sometimes he swings for the fences and strikes out completely..
Agreed. Use the rankings as a guide, and go with your own analysis. Personally I think all rankings are like opinions or a-holes ...As far as Ford goes, ask yourself this, do you feel lucky ?

you can temper that enthusiasm a bit, Bloom also had Jahvid Best as RB#1 (or #2) the week Detroit played Buffalo, how'd that work out?? :lmao:

I like Bloom's ballsy approach, but sometimes he swings for the fences and strikes out completely..
Agreed. Use the rankings as a guide, and go with your own analysis. Personally I think all rankings are like opinions or a-holes ...As far as Ford goes, ask yourself this, do you feel lucky?
Well, do ya?

Sig Bloom, you mean the same guy who had Kyle Orton listed at #16 QB last week @ home vs the Rams?

Just wondering what the method to his madness is. Orton is the #3 Fantasy QB, was at home, had all his weapons on deck, and was playing vs a below avg pass D last week (rams on the road)

like the guy's inside info on twitter, but prefer Dodds for rankings

you can temper that enthusiasm a bit, Bloom also had Jahvid Best as RB#1 (or #2) the week Detroit played Buffalo, how'd that work out?? :lmao: I like Bloom's ballsy approach, but sometimes he swings for the fences and strikes out completely..
Don't we all.

you can temper that enthusiasm a bit, Bloom also had Jahvid Best as RB#1 (or #2) the week Detroit played Buffalo, how'd that work out?? :hey: I like Bloom's ballsy approach, but sometimes he swings for the fences and strikes out completely..
What does Jahvid Best's Week 10 performance have to do with Jacoby Ford in Week 13?I like Ford and I'm starting him, but in a return yards league. He's obviously much more of a gamble in standard scoring.I don't envy anyone who does weekly FF projections. It's impossible to keep everyone happy.

Sig Bloom, you mean the same guy who had Kyle Orton listed at #16 QB last week @ home vs the Rams?Just wondering what the method to his madness is. Orton is the #3 Fantasy QB, was at home, had all his weapons on deck, and was playing vs a below avg pass D last week (rams on the road)like the guy's inside info on twitter, but prefer Dodds for rankings
Orton didn't do anything untill the 4th quarter if the game was a bit closer it would have been a dud for Orton.

I didn't start this thread as a "holy crap Bloom's crazy" thread and I am not complaining nor do I follow rankings blindly. They are opinions. I was looking for discussion from those that strongly agree/disagree.

As a Ford owner I picked him up over other guys I should have because I love what I see. There is something special there. Of course enthusiasm is tempered because of the QB in Oakland but that hasn't stopped him before.

I personally like the call because bloom is sticking to his beliefs. I think I would be surprised a little if he cracked the top 10 This week .....but not that much. Definitely a gamble and hard to trust but this guy is a talent and hard to deny what he has done so far with mediocre QB play. I'm definitely considering him as my wr3 this week over Wallace (big Ben hobbled) and Santana Moss (dinged).

In a win or go home scenario, my cojones are not big enough or made of steel to start Ford. I really want to, but I couldn't get over looking at that goose egg when it's all over.

In a win or go home scenario, my cojones are not big enough or made of steel to start Ford. I really want to, but I couldn't get over looking at that goose egg when it's all over.
I'm tempted too but the Chargers are No. 2 in the league in pass defense and they are fourth in the league in fewest TD passes allowed. This is a very difficult matchup for a good passing offense (as Peyton Manning discovered last Sunday night), much less an uneven one and a talented, but wildly inconsistent young receiver.

WR Jacoby Ford is starting to get noticed by more than Bloom.

He just cracked ESPN's top-ten rookie watch list this week.

This list looks pretty accurate but I would probably rank both O-linemen higher and if he's got McCourty ranked 5th then Joe Haden has to be in the top ten. Haden has three consecutive games in a row with an INT and he is just begining to get starts so look for him to move up and stake his claim by the end of the year. But for right now I would place Pouncey and Iupati 4th and 5th and move McCoy out of the top-ten and bump up Haden.

ES[M rookie top-ten list

Ranking Player, position (draft position) Last week

1 Sam Bradford, Rams QB (first round, No. 1)

Bradford got an elusive road win in Denver. He led the Rams to a big lead before the Broncos rallied to make things interesting. But this was his best game yet. 1

2 Ndamukong Suh, Lions DT (first round, No. 2)

The Lions' Thanksgiving Day game gave Suh a national audience. Detroit can line him up all over the formation and there isn't a defensive tackle in the league who runs better. 2

3 Dez Bryant, Cowboys WR (first round, No. 24)

In the Cowboys' loss to the New Orleans Saints on Thanksgiving, Jon Kitna threw Bryant's way but never connected. Communication might have been an issue between the rookie wideout and his quarterback. 3

4 Mike Williams, Buccaneers WR (fourth round, No. 101)

In the Bucs' loss to the Baltimore Ravens, it appeared that Josh Freeman needed one more weapon opposite Williams. But I can't hold that against Williams. 4

5 Devin McCourty, Patriots CB (first round, No. 27)

McCourty was one of the best players on the field on Thanksgiving. He is a cornerstone of the Patriots' very young, improving defense. 6

6 Jacoby Ford, Raiders WR (fourth round, No. 108)

I am a believer. This guy is a big-time playmaker who not only has tremendous speed but also is good with the ball in his hands. He's a better route runner than I originally thought. NR

7 Gerald McCoy, Buccaneers DT (first round, No. 3)

McCoy is now getting to the quarterback with regularity, despite not being surrounded with high-end pass-rushers. McCoy keeps getting better. 10

8 Colt McCoy, Browns QB (third round, No. 85)

McCoy (ankle) didn't play last week against the Panthers, but Browns fans should be clamoring to get him back into the lineup after watching Jake Delhomme. 5

9 Maurkice Pouncey, Steelers C (first round, No. 18);

The Steelers were nearly upset in Buffalo, but Pouncey was a major reason RB Rashard Mendenhall was so dominant. The interior of the Steelers' line did have huge problems with Kyle Williams, but the guards were more to blame than Pouncey. NR

10 Mike Iupati, 49ers G (first round, No. 17);

The 49ers dominated the hapless Cardinals. They did what they wanted on offense -- especially in the running game -- and Iupati looked great. NR

Other notables: Earl Thomas, Seahawks FS (first round, No. 14); Tony Moeaki, Chiefs TE (third round, No 93); Joe Haden, Browns CB (first round, No. 7); Eric Berry, Chiefs S (first round, No. 5); Alterraun Verner, Titans CB (fourth round, No. 104); Tyson Alualu, Jaguars DT (first round, No. 10); Brandon Graham, Eagles DE (first round, No. 13); LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers RB (undrafted).

... ESPN's top-ten rookie watch list this week.

... if he's got McCourty ranked 5th then Joe Haden has to be in the top ten. Haden has three consecutive games in a row with an INT and he is just begining to get starts so look for him to move up and stake his claim by the end of the year. But for right now I would place Pouncey and Iupati 4th and 5th and move McCoy out of the top-ten and bump up Haden.
A tad off-topic but after posting that Joe Haden should be listed as one of the top-ten rookies ...I see this from PFT.

NFL names Joe Haden defensive rookie of the month

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 2, 2010, 11:26 AM EST

Browns defensive back Joe Haden, who had three straight games with an interception in November, has been honored as the NFL’s defensive rookie of the month.

Haden only started one game in November, but Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan praised him as a player who could start for any team.

“Joe could start any day,” Ryan said. “We’re just going to line him up and play him. Whether he starts or gets his name called when they announce it, that’s another thing. Is the guy good enough to start? [Heck] yes. He’s good enough to start for any team in the league, including ours.”

In November Haden had 15 tackles, seven passes defensed, three interceptions and a tackle on special teams.

Still debating on starting him, dropped Lee Evans for him this week.My receivers are horrid. Have to start 3 out of Knox, Obomanu, Blair White, S. Smith (CAR) and Ford.A goose egg is better than the -2 Lee Evans got me last week.

Right now I'm going with Ford where we start 3-4 WR but I have injuries to Marshall, BMW and S. Smith to deal with.

pick up ford, drop britt...you're betting on a very iffy hammy AND collins staying healthy. not a good proposition.

Sig Bloom, you mean the same guy who had Kyle Orton listed at #16 QB last week @ home vs the Rams?Just wondering what the method to his madness is. Orton is the #3 Fantasy QB, was at home, had all his weapons on deck, and was playing vs a below avg pass D last week (rams on the road)like the guy's inside info on twitter, but prefer Dodds for rankings
Orton was completely held in check until the Rams went into prevent mode - I try not to predict garbage time stats, too dicey.

As far as the Ford ranking goes...

27 targets the last 3 weeks, no less than 8 in any of those weeks, showing the ability to make big plays not just with straight line speed, but good ball skills, Zach Miller banged up, so he should be focus of passing game, obviously he is the only thing working in the offense right now, so I expect the game plan to focus on getting the ball in his hands.

I will say if you change to PPR, he falls to #22 b/c his QB isn't the most consistent

Orton was completely held in check until the Rams went into prevent mode - I try not to predict garbage time stats, too dicey.
Apprec the reply, SB. However, don't think it's fair to cut out a Quarter of play to support your ranking. 4th Q play counts, whether it's garbage time stats or not, it happened, and that's the bottom line.More important than playing monday morning QB however, is understanding your logic for this ranking. Let's forget about the result of Sunday's game and consider that:1)Kyle Orton has been a top 3 Fantasy QB in most leagues, 2)He's got his 3 primary WR options healthy as well as his starting pass-catching RB (who also adds to his ydg totals)3)He's playing against a D that's been below avg vs the pass on the road all year4)He's playing at homeGiven this, i'd just like to understand the logic behind ranking him in the mid-teens. If you can't rank a proven top tier QB highlyl, with the above favorable conditions at hand, then when can you do so?As an FYI , Sig, i think you do great work for this site and apprec all you do with Twitter updates and opinions..very helpful stuff....just the ranking of KO so low floored me (as does Eddie Royal #11 this week, but that's another thread :( )

As far as the Ford ranking goes...27 targets the last 3 weeks, no less than 8 in any of those weeks, showing the ability to make big plays not just with straight line speed, but good ball skills, Zach Miller banged up, so he should be focus of passing game, obviously he is the only thing working in the offense right now, so I expect the game plan to focus on getting the ball in his hands.I will say if you change to PPR, he falls to #22 b/c his QB isn't the most consistent
So how would you rank Ford, Britt, and Danario in a 0.5 PPR league going forward?

Looking at how the Chargers have fared against No. 1 WRs (if we want to assume that's what Ford is now) doesn't really provide much help. They've done a very good job with some elite WRs such as Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald and Welker but got burned by Brandon Lloyd and Nate Washington, who hit them up for a 71-yard touchdown. Mike Sims-Walker also went off on them back in Week 2.

Not sure that really helps make the decision easier one way or the other.

(Rotoworld) Raiders coach Tom Cable may have hinted Friday that rookie Jacoby Ford would start over Darrius Heyward-Bey this week.

Analysis: Ford certainly is more worthy of the first-team role than last year's emerging draft bust. Asked Friday if DHB would start at San Diego, Cable replied "I don't know that. We'll get to all that as we know the health here." Neither Ford nor Heyward-Bey is on this week's injury report. Speculation of Ford overtaking Heyward-Bey has been rampant among Oakland beat writers.

Dropped Gaffney for Ford. With my other WR's I wasn't going to be playing Gaffney the rest of the year anyway so I figured this might be the last chance to grab Ford. He might be the hot p/u next week.

Definately worth a roster stash.

3 targets? A sign of a poor passing day for Oak, or just not much Ford action?
raiders gashed on the ground and were also very successful on dumpoffs and screens. hardly any use for their wrs. only had 9 targets combined.

3 targets? A sign of a poor passing day for Oak, or just not much Ford action?
They rushed the ball 52 times, 7 were by Campbell, but at least one was a designed bootleg for the TD.Campbell only threw 16 passes and 10 were completed, and 6 of those were to the backs.Ford only had 3 KR's as San Diego only scored 3 times, so that was less than expected.I started him in one league and feel very fortunate to get the TD. Nice to see he was targeted in the Red Zone as it was a designed play to him and he was the first option.

Campbell only threw 16 passes and 10 were completed, and 6 of those were to the backs.
Yes. Ford actually got an upgrade from FBG based on his three targets against the Chargers.The average team will attempt around 35 passes in an average week. Three targets out of 35 pass attempts would be lame. But three out of 16 (18.75% of the team's targets) is near NFL WR1 territory. (Greg Jennings, for example, has 22.6% of the Packers' targets on the year.)When the Raiders don't jump out to an immediate 14-point lead — when they have to throw the ball more — Ford could be a solid fantasy WR3 or so. (That depends on Campbell playing well, though, and he's been rather inconsistent this season.)

Campbell only threw 16 passes and 10 were completed, and 6 of those were to the backs.
Yes. Ford actually got an upgrade from FBG based on his three targets against the Chargers.The average team will attempt around 35 passes in an average week. Three targets out of 35 pass attempts would be lame. But three out of 16 (18.75% of the team's targets) is near NFL WR1 territory. (Greg Jennings, for example, has 22.6% of the Packers' targets on the year.)When the Raiders don't jump out to an immediate 14-point lead — when they have to throw the ball more — Ford could be a solid fantasy WR3 or so. (That depends on Campbell playing well, though, and he's been rather inconsistent this season.)
Great insight, thank you!A couple of weeks ago I subbed Ford for A. Johnson. Ford only scored 7 pts, but it was still more than AJ, who was stuck on Revis island.This week I've got the same itch to get Ford into my lineup and this time it's at the expense of Larry Fitzgerald. I love Fitz, but the combo of Skelton at QB and seeing what Champ Bailey did to DBowe last week has me real nervous about Fitz's prospects. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure Ford's gonna be in my starting lineup this week in a .5 PPR league with return yardage points. The return yardage is what really seals the deal for me with this guy. It wasn't a big factor last week, but has been in each of his two 30+ pt days over the last four.

Ford is all the way down @ 61 this week. Bloom, are you off the bandwagon? Or do you just expect the raiders to run all over the Jags and attempt less than 20 passes again? The match up certainly looks good on paper.

Ford is all the way down @ 61 this week. Bloom, are you off the bandwagon? Or do you just expect the raiders to run all over the Jags and attempt less than 20 passes again? The match up certainly looks good on paper.
Do the Jaguars primarily play man coverage? they have absolutely no pass rush. Ford is in front of his home state fans and they are drawing up plays specifically for him as if he were the #1. It seems like Campbell could be a great play with schillens back too. god i wish this was in oakland so i didnt have to worry about what raider team comes to play across two time zones.

Anybody gambling on Ford this week? I need a Harvin replacement and while I'm skittish about Ford due to the lack of targets and receptions last week there's no denying he has plenty of upside against a pass defense that has generally been pretty poor this season. I'm starting him albeit with some hesitation.

I think Ford is headed for one of the biggest rookie surprises in the playoffs we have seen in some time. He has great match ups ahead and Jax will be the coming out party. He had (2) 20+ point performances in the 3 weeks leading up to last week. In SD he only had 3 targets but he did score a TD. If you can squeeze him into your lineup I love his chances this weekend.

Ford is carvin himself a starting spot for 2011. I did a couple game recaps on him and he reminds me of DeSean Jackson, has that big play threat in his arsenal. I'm convinced he was not used properly at Clemson. He's way more than just a return guy, much better receiving skills than say Devin Hester. He had at least 2 other balls that would have gone for TDs in the Miami game had his QB play been a little more solid. Then he would be like top30 this week no questions asked.

I don't pimp WRs all that often. Watch him play this weekend, I love him.

Including return scoring and 0.5 PPR, Ford has a 31 pt game and a 36 point game in the last four games played.

Additionally, in the Pit game, where he scored just a 7.2, there was a play that was a fraction of a inch from being a 60 yd sluggo TD. The blitz came, the middle of the field was open, Ford was left uncovered, the QB (can't recall if it was Campbell or Grads) made the right read and throw, but it got batted down at the LOS. If that DL hadn't lifted his arm at that exact moment, I'm fairly certain Ford would've split containment and raced into the end zone for six.

This kid is a big play waiting to happen. And because he returns kicks, his floor is at least 5-10 pts, assuming you reward return yards.

Like MOP said, watch him play and you'll see. He has BLAZING speed, but also real WR skills.

Jax defense...

Tenn-No passing game or threat

NYG-Without both Nicks and SMith, allowed 3/60/TD to MM, and 3/74/TD to Kevin Old Lady Boss

CLE-Again a pass challenged team but McCoy managed 240 yds with a bum ankle.

HOU-Both AJ and Walter had big days

Dall-Both Dez and Miles Austin and Jason Witten had big days

KC-Bowe had 2 Touchdowns

Buff-Both Lee Evans and Steve Johnson looked good. Johnson had his coming out party with 2 TDs.

Do as you like but he I think Ford has a good chance on Sunday

The pros:

1. He's a talented WR. If you watch him play he's not just a speed guy. He makes good catches and looks to be a good route runner.

2. He is a deep threat as well so one big pass downfield is all it takes for him to have a good to great fantasy game.

3. Jacksonville's pass defense has been brutal for most of this season. It's been better of late but I think that has more to do with the lack of competition than actual improvement by the Jags.

4. If you're in a league that rewards individual return team TDs (as mine does) he's a threat to score. That's obviously not something you can bank on but he has shown terrific return skills this season.

The cons:

1. The Raiders want to run the ball a lot. We saw that last week. If that happens again, then the targets could be low as they were in Week 13.

2. Jason Campbell will never be confused with a consistent QB. There's really no way of knowing if he'll show up or not.

3. The whole West Coast team traveling to the East Coast thing. Sounds like a cliche but it does tend to be an issue.

4. Zach Miller being healther than he's been in awhile concerns me a bit because, when healthy, he is their best option in the passing game.

That's what I got for Ford. Plenty of reason to be skittish but also plenty of reason to feel he's worth a roll of the dice. For me, it comes to either starting Ford or reaching for someone like Brandon Gibson, Steve Breaston, Danario Alexander or Jason Avant off the WW so I'll gamble on Ford's upside and hope he's more involved than he was last week.

Users who are viewing this thread