What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (2 Viewers)

this really had no bearing on the game.

Patriots were still set up to get the ball back with plenty of time to drive down and kick the game winning FG.

If anything, BB WANTED the clock to run .... so NE could kick the FG with very little time left on the clock.
I'm still thinking Belichick was showing the league its own loophole back when used it up thirty against the Jets. 

Patriots were still set up to get the ball back with plenty of time to drive down and kick the game winning FG.

If anything, BB WANTED the clock to run .... so NE could kick the FG with very little time left on the clock.
I'm not sure how smart it was and it easily could've backfired but in the end it did help the Titans because Pats got ball back with 15 seconds left and would've had a lot more time.

I'm not sure how smart it was and it easily could've backfired but in the end it did help the Titans because Pats got ball back with 15 seconds left and would've had a lot more time.
Could have backfired for Vrable indeed.

Had Edleman not dropped that layup catch for a 1st down, would have been another 1st down or two away from ending the game with very little time for TEN to respond (assuming Pats don't miss the FG attempt)

Then the story would be how Vrable out-foxed himself with BB's rule book loophole.

Could have backfired for Vrable indeed.

Had Edleman not dropped that layup catch for a 1st down, would have been another 1st down or two away from ending the game with very little time for TEN to respond (assuming Pats don't miss the FG attempt)

Then the story would be how Vrable out-foxed himself with BB's rule book loophole.
Agreed.  I also found his decision to go for 2 after the pick six strange.  True that success would have made it a two score game but failure actually left them open to a loss upon a return for T.D. on the ensuing kick and a 2-pt conversion by them.  I get that it is a philosophical decision.  I also get that extra point kicks are not always successful, but I would have taken my more or less automatic 8 point lead and forced N.E. not only to return kick for T.D. but also to convert a 2-pt conversion just to obtain a tie.  Seems to me the guaranteed tie if everything went bad and a likely win beats a guaranteed win if things go good but exposure to loss if they do not.

Agreed.  I also found his decision to go for 2 after the pick six strange.  True that success would have made it a two score game but failure actually left them open to a loss upon a return for T.D. on the ensuing kick and a 2-pt conversion by them.  I get that it is a philosophical decision.  I also get that extra point kicks are not always successful, but I would have taken my more or less automatic 8 point lead and forced N.E. not only to return kick for T.D. but also to convert a 2-pt conversion just to obtain a tie.  Seems to me the guaranteed tie if everything went bad and a likely win beats a guaranteed win if things go good but exposure to loss if they do not.
Agreed, going up by 8 is huge. 

Yeah his sideline antics while it was happening CLEARLY show this. :lmao:

I’m not sure they are tanking. Wouldn’t it make more sense to not sign Cam Newton and encourage opt outs? I also don’t think it’s in Bills blood to tank, at least the year after Brady leaves. I don’t put it past him to do something obscure to put him in the best position to grab a high QB though. They have to take one next year, right?

Tank for Trevor already in motion.
Agree to disagree, he has zero control over players opting out so I don't see the correlation u appear to b making. Why would they sign Newton?  Everything I know about the man leads me to believe he would cut off an arm before he would plan to lose an entire season, particularly a season that could prove critical to the was it Brady or BB that mattered most legacy question. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I don't think Belichick really cares whether people think it's him or Brady. All he knows is all those rings he has.

BB has always been a glorious student of the game that enjoys teaching.

I look forward to see how he uses Cam. James White isn't McCaff but he catches plenty of passes when he's in the game too.

I was wondering what he'd do knowing he's gotta stop Henry and Lamar and he added the biggest MLB in quite some time.

None of these are enough moves or changes for the Pats to be successful but we all know the guy will have more ideas.

There's no way all the new players gel without a preseason and there's no way there isn't a post Brady let down, but what about when it all comes together? This should be the most interesting season to (pretend we can) watch BB's mind in a long while.

FMIA: Roger Goodell’s Successor And 8 Issues Facing NFL In Near Future

Excerpt:

The Future Of Belichick 

Bill Belichick turned 69 in April. Twelve years ago, he said he wouldn’t be coaching in his seventies. Two years ago, he said on WEEI in Boston: “When I said it, maybe I didn’t know what 70 felt like.” So how much longer will he coach? Belichick’s not one to talk openly about his plans, or even privately about them. Maybe he doesn’t know. But I get four feelings about him:

• This probably won’t be his last year, and I doubt that 2022 will be. He’s a young 69, maybe not in the effervescent way of fellow 69er Pete Carroll (seven months older than Belichick).

• The way Belichick is, I doubt sincerely he’d leave the Patriots with a dim future. He’ll view as part of his legacy the shape he left the franchise. That’s why Mac Jones falling to New England at 15 this year was so important to New England’s long-term future—it allows Belichick to feel like there’s a good chance the team now has its quarterback for the post-Brady period.

• I don’t think he hangs on just to break Don Shula’s all-time record for coaching victories if he thinks it’s time to go after, say, 2023 or ’24. On the all-time coaching wins list (including playoffs), Shula is first with 347, George Halas second with 324, Belichick third with 311. It may take Belichick four years to get those 37 wins. Maybe three or five—who knows? It’s certainly within reach, but I don’t see it being Belichick’s end-game.

• I’m sure, as a dad, Belichick wanted to help his kids on career paths if they wanted the help. Amanda is a lacrosse coach at Holy Cross. Steve, 34, is a Patriots defensive assistant with rising importance. Brian is the team’s safeties coach. Steve’s married, Brian’s slated to get married this summer. The kids are on their way, with helpful assistance from their father.

What it all means: Belichick can walk away on his terms, when he wants. And if the team progresses the way he thinks it will, he can walk away feeling good about the future of what he leaves behind.

BB is a completely different cat on his weekly radio interviews in town. This came up last year again, and while he didn't give a timeline, he backpedaled from his comments from long ago about not wanting to coach into his 70's. 

From what I remember about the interview, it was after Brady had already left and BB said he felt more attached to the players, enjoyed things more than ever, and couldn't imagine retirement or doing something else. He did say that he and the Kraft's had a plan / exit strategy / a defined point in time when he would step down (but he would not elaborate). He did say that they were all on the same page and he didn't see the arrangement changing (whatever that agreement is).

The hosts tried to push for an answer whether it was a certain date in time (25 years as NE head coach?), milestone based (win a SB without Brady?), state of the team based (have the team with a stabile QB and a good roster?), or age based (72 years old?). While it never came up, I thought BB might consider packing it in once he set the record for most wins by a head coach (328). He is 48 wins behind Don Shula. Those are regular season wins only. Adding in playoff wins, Shula holds a 347-311 advantage (the gap would drop to 36 wins). From this point, 5 years would probably be enough time to hit those milestones.

That being said, if Mike Tomlin is interested in coaching long enough, he could pass Bill. Belichick had a 41-55 record through age 48 (and has won 239 games since then). Tomlin just finished his age 48 season and has a 145-78-1 career coaching record. Tomlin has a 104 win advantage compared to BB at the same age.

Tomlin and the Steelers have won at a .650 clip (which over a 17 game season is roughly the same as going 11-6). Winning at that clip (without winning a single playoff game), it would take Tomlin 17 years to pass Shula (age 65). Tomlin has won 16 playoff games, which means he has a combined 161 wins. He's averaged 11.5 combined wins per year in his 14 seasons. At that pace, Tomlin would be on pace to also break the combined wins record in 17 years.

Andy Reid is also a candidate, as he has 221 regular season wins to go along with 17 wins. He's 6 years younger than BB, and the Chiefs seemed to be in prime shape to win a bunch of games over the next few years. KC won a combined 78 games the past 6 years, which they match that total, would get Reid to 316 wins through age 68 (BB has 311) when Reid is 68.

Wonder what Belichick would have done or thought of yesterday's Chiefs/Bills game. 

That's how good a coach he is -- that one of my first thoughts in remembering and contextualizing the game is "What Would Belichick Think?" 

Wonder what Belichick would have done or thought of yesterday's Chiefs/Bills game. 

That's how good a coach he is -- that one of my first thoughts in remembering and contextualizing the game is "What Would Belichick Think?" 
BB would have had the kicker kick a pop fly to inside the five yard line and forced KC to field the ball and cut the time on the clock in half. Then he would have rushed two guys and dropped 9 men in coverage and not allow anyone to catch a deep ball. Mahomes would have had to use all the remaining time to try to find an open receiver. They would have had one play on offense and the game would have ended (unless the Chiefs had a six lateral play that scored like in the Miami game a few years ago). They would have had to go 80 yards on one play for a TD. No way could they have had time to have been able to get 40 yards to try nearly a 60 yard FG. 

The bar is pretty high for BB and NE in 2022.  Getting to the AFC championship given the current strength of BUF, CIN and KC is no small task.  And yes I'm discounting other AFC teams not mentioned unless quarterback and/or offensive scheme changes are made.

Users who are viewing this thread