What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (5 Viewers)

At least John Mallee is gone. Imagine if Charlie can get Roman Quinn back to a normal hitting approach. That kid could be awesome. Instead of teaching him launch angle to hit home runs, maybe Charlie can straighten him out to just make contact. He could be JRoll 2.0.

The story buzzing through Cubs media is Charlie knows how to read Hamels' pitches , his fastball in particular, and he tipped off the Phillies hitters what to look for. 

Why do I follow this team? How do you sweep the first place Cubs and then lose 2 out of 3 to the below .500 Padres?

I said we were going to sweep the Sox and get swept by the Marlins. I didn't think they'd actually do it. 

How do you score 11 runs and lose by 8?

So when they lose today, we can stop paying attention officially right? They'll be 4.5 back from the 2nd wild card with no momentum and in 4th place. We can place dirt on the grave then right? I'm tired of following this dead team. Last year's team was more exciting.

Cubs are interviewing Kapler this week. Theo has so far been starting each interview at a Starbucks near Wrigley Field. 

Kapler looks like a guy who orders coffee with five ingredients and has eight specific directions for how to prepare it. 

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Cubs are interviewing Kapler this week. Theo has so far been starting each interview at a Starbucks near Wrigley Field. 

Kapler looks like a guy who orders coffee with five ingredients and has eight specific directions for how to prepare it. 
phils-cubs manager swap would rule.

also, theo worked magic with a crummy ex-phils manager before, so maybe thinks he will catch lightning in a bottle again.

I read an article where he said if he got the chance for a last go-around it would be for an AL team, since he never had that experience. 
There's only one AL vacancy left and Matheny is the strong favorite for that one.

Dusty is getting a second interview with Philadelphia.  He'd be a controversial hire in some quarters but I think he's better than Buck or Girardi.

Honestly, I doubt any new manager has much impact on the actual W's and L's. Its mostly window dressing for the Phans. This team needs a legit #1 (Cole) and #3 starting pitcher next season if they hope to compete. 

I'm late to the party but I really am not a Joe Girardi fan Something about him. He reminds me of some fast talking New Yawker Used Car Salesman who will sell you a broken down car but making It look like its a great deal when you are only pricing yourself out. He also has issues with communicating to young players. He had a falling out with Posada and Jeter and a few other Vets in NYY. Not sure what that was about. You got the whole MIA Josh Johnson debacle where he pitched JJ 1 1/2 hrs or some ridiculous thing after rain delay and he started and didn't replace him which some say contributed to Johnson's later injury issues. I remember when he missed Tex, AROd and others Yankee fans complaining how this guy couldn't make a line up card without all stars in there. Then there were a few head scratchers in dealing with the pen over the yrs and some feel he cost the Yankees a WS birth his last year in charge. 

It's not all bad. He's experienced manager and seems well respected around the league. I just find him incredible overrated because I think a Chimpanzee could've managed those first teams he had and won a WS. I also don't think it really adds or loses any Ws or Ls for us. We had a ton of injuries and lack of depth. Healthier team we probably get a WC spot. Some of the hate on Gabe just seemed unwarranted and more radio jock neanderthal talk. A lot of people making statements without facts or regurgitating radio nonsense like my one buddy does. I think given the injuries he should've gotten another year at the least. This team lacked huge depth at many positions we had injuries plus another 2 legit starting Pitchers. I think Velasquez with how he did in that role was better suited in the Pen Remember when we first got him some scouts felt he had better stuff to be a closer or late inning arm than Starting. He seems fine for a few innings than collapses. They didn't have a lot of OF depth and our Back up C is abysmal. Lack of Pitching depth on both fronts. This team had major holes. I may have said it here at start of the year or somewhere else but the key to last season was they had to stay healthy 

As for Wheeler I like it. A bit of a risk but we need pitching. I'd love to now get Gerrit Cole. WOuld've preferred a Strasburg/Cole duo. Not sure I feel comfy having Stras and Wheeler 2 guys with ton of injury history to rely on. Thats playing Russian Roulette right there. 

Wheeler turned down more from the CHISOX according to Rosenthal because Wheelers wife is from NJ and area proximity was key in this. 

I'm late to the party but I really am not a Joe Girardi fan Something about him. He reminds me of some fast talking New Yawker Used Car Salesman who will sell you a broken down car but making It look like its a great deal when you are only pricing yourself out. He also has issues with communicating to young players. He had a falling out with Posada and Jeter and a few other Vets in NYY. Not sure what that was about. You got the whole MIA Josh Johnson debacle where he pitched JJ 1 1/2 hrs or some ridiculous thing after rain delay and he started and didn't replace him which some say contributed to Johnson's later injury issues. I remember when he missed Tex, AROd and others Yankee fans complaining how this guy couldn't make a line up card without all stars in there. Then there were a few head scratchers in dealing with the pen over the yrs and some feel he cost the Yankees a WS birth his last year in charge. 

It's not all bad. He's experienced manager and seems well respected around the league. I just find him incredible overrated because I think a Chimpanzee could've managed those first teams he had and won a WS. I also don't think it really adds or loses any Ws or Ls for us. We had a ton of injuries and lack of depth. Healthier team we probably get a WC spot. Some of the hate on Gabe just seemed unwarranted and more radio jock neanderthal talk. A lot of people making statements without facts or regurgitating radio nonsense like my one buddy does. I think given the injuries he should've gotten another year at the least. This team lacked huge depth at many positions we had injuries plus another 2 legit starting Pitchers. I think Velasquez with how he did in that role was better suited in the Pen Remember when we first got him some scouts felt he had better stuff to be a closer or late inning arm than Starting. He seems fine for a few innings than collapses. They didn't have a lot of OF depth and our Back up C is abysmal. Lack of Pitching depth on both fronts. This team had major holes. I may have said it here at start of the year or somewhere else but the key to last season was they had to stay healthy 
I agree.  I don’t think even having the best manager in baseball would have magically made them a playoff team.  They had way too many holes on pitching and the Cutch injury was deflating (it felt like they never recovered from that).  Nice to see that they are quickly addressing some of those deficiencies from last year.

I agree.  I don’t think even having the best manager in baseball would have magically made them a playoff team.  They had way too many holes on pitching and the Cutch injury was deflating (it felt like they never recovered from that).  Nice to see that they are quickly addressing some of those deficiencies from last year.
I totally forgot they had Cutch too. If he wasn't hurt would've been most underrated signing of the offseason anywhere. I think people overrated them big time this past year. I get the Harper signing was exciting. Believe me ask me 7-8 yrs ago if I'd have loved signing this guy I'd have said no. Really was immature seemed like a total punk holier then thou guy. Really has changed. That Press Conference he had when he came was pretty revealing the type of person he is today. A lot different from that kid who was drafted long ago. 

I thought Kapler was the best manager in baseball. :shrug:

Can I get my money back?

Wheeler is an interesting signing.  He's been very good the past two years.  Five years is a lot for a SP though.

The big question is how he'll age into his 30s and the inevitable loss of velocity.  On the one hand, can a guy who relies so heavily on his fastball overcome the loss of a few mph.  On the other hand, if he loses some velocity, he'll still have an above average fastball.

If the Wheeler signing takes them out of the Cole sweepstakes, I don’t like the move.  He’s decent but not sure he moves the needle (especially with the regression that we already saw with Nola last year).

fred_1_15301 said:
If the Wheeler signing takes them out of the Cole sweepstakes, I don’t like the move.  He’s decent but not sure he moves the needle (especially with the regression that we already saw with Nola last year).
Yeah, definitely takes them out of the Cole sweepstakes. Im going to assume they already knew it was going to take too much to land him. They've still got some holes in the rotation to fill though. I think they make a trade for someone. Robbie Ray makes a ton of sense. Lefty, one year stop-gap until Arrieta/Robertson money comes off the books.

Opponents are hitting .392 off of Workman since coming to the Phillies (and honestly, that seems low) and he has a 2.67 WHIP.

DFA the guy already. He's cooked.  :rant:

The bullpen is comically bad.  It’s actually quite amazing that they’re even hovering around.500. How does Klentak have a job?  With the resources that the Phillies have, you would think they would have put together a competitive team at least once in the last 9 years.

Matt Klentak did a very great job of setting this team back even worse then it was before it got here....and they signed friggin Bryce Harper!

Really loving some of the moves by them this offseason. They resigned JT and Didi to lesser deals then originally seemed and they added some really good BP depth and Rotation depth while getting rid of a few deadwood 

Users who are viewing this thread