What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (2 Viewers)

Ugh, can we please just start the season. I don't like what is happening here . . .
Safe to assume you're referring to Oswalt getting hit by Manny's line drive? He looked ok walking off the field, last update was that x-rays were negative and they're labeling it a bruised neck. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion. As a side not, Missanelli reported that a Rays player was seen laughing in the dugout and that tempers flared. I have nothing to support it, was wondering if you heard anything?

Nah, just talking about everything. Utley, Brown, Lidge, Polanco, Oswalt. Seems like all that's happening are bad things. Just want to get the season rolling.

The one possible bright spot might be Mayberry and Francisco. If they can contribute, it will really help a lot. We know that we don't need tons of offense, but we need some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, just talking about everything. Utley, Brown, Lidge, Polanco, Oswalt. Seems like all that's happening are bad things. Just want to get the season rolling.

The one possible bright spot might be Mayberry and Francisco. If they can contribute, it will really help a lot. We know that we don't need tons of offense, but we need some.
And the hits just keep on coming. Lidge shutdown, headed to DL with new problem.

The offense is starting to come around, slowly but surely. And that's key to back up the pitching.
Exactly. Barring the unimaginable, our starting pitching should be good enough to keep us in almost every game this year. Sure there's going to be the occasional down day from the starters but if we're in the game, we have a shot. Offense is going to be key, because to win 1-0 or 2-1 you still need to score those runs.

Brad Lidge out 3-6 weeks and Jose Contreras named closer in his absence.
And not surprisingly, Francisco wins RF job.Nice article to sum up the roster:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20110330_Manuel_endorses_Contreras__Martinez_and_Francisco_as_Phillies_fill-ins.html

Good start to the season. SP is there as expected, and Howard, JRoll and Ben Fran are starting hot. It is the 'Stros though, looking forward to facing the Braves staff/pen. Francisco has been more of an adventure in RF than I expected, hopefully he doesn't give back the runs he's creating. I also don't want to see too much of the BP not named Madson or Jose this year.

Some rumors swirling around the twitterverse that Roy Halladay has been scratched from his next start and may head to the DL with shoulder issues... Can anyone confirm? http://twitter.com/#!/Phillies_Raw

It is at the earliest stages of rumors right now so I have no idea how reliable anything is... Just basically throwing a dart at the wall.

Glad I gave up my tickets for today....
Come on man, IT WAS OPENING DAY!!!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
:P - we had a choice between opening day or Saturday. I went to a couple opening days the past few years so with the weather - we chose to go see LEE. At least they won that game too but without the great comeback ;)
:) Can't say I blame ya for going to see Lee.

'Encyclopedia Brown said:
Any truth to the rumors that the Phillies are going to sign Mickey Morandini?
Juan Samuel is already on the roster.True story -At the vet, in left field. Juan Samuel hits his first Major League homerun, the section was not very crowded.ball hits like a row down and about 8 seats over. It was my grandparents, my sister and myself. I was 11, I think. Ball takes a weird bounce, I have my glove, it is coming at us, hits my sister in the knee pops up over my head and rolls a little down the aisle. Ends up a row below us. I run along the row reach under the seat, grab the ball, when a guy in the row where the ball is, grabs the ball at the same time and takes it.I was heart broken. I remember my grand parents telling the usher I had the ball and them saying there was nothing they can do. Later an usher comes up to the guy and explains it's Juan Samuels first homerun, if he wouldn't mind giving it back, they tell the guy we'll take you down and get you another signed ball from Juan himself. Again my grandparents talk to the usher - they know my sister has a bruise on her leg from getting hit and bringing her ice, she's 8 and crying. I remember getting an extra "logo" ball that they were giving away.That is how I am tied to Juan Samuel FOREVER and my closest to ever getting a real ball... :lol:

'Encyclopedia Brown said:
Any truth to the rumors that the Phillies are going to sign Mickey Morandini?
Juan Samuel is already on the roster.True story -At the vet, in left field. Juan Samuel hits his first Major League homerun, the section was not very crowded.ball hits like a row down and about 8 seats over. It was my grandparents, my sister and myself. I was 11 I think. Ball takes a weird bounce, I have my glove, is coming at us, hits my sister in the knee pops up over my head and rolls a little down the aisle. Ends up a row below us. I run along the row reach under the seat, grab the ball when a guy in the row where the ball is grabs the ball at the same time and takes it.I was heart broken. I remember my grand parents telling the usher I had the ball and they saying there was nothing they can do. Later and usher comes up to the guy and explains it's Juan Smauels first homerun, if he wouldn't mind giving it back, they tell the guy we'll take you down and get you another signed ball from Juan himself. Again my grandparents talk to the usher - they know my sister has a bruise on her leg from getting hit and bringing her ice, she's 8 and crying. I remeber getting an extra "logo" ball that they were giving away.That is how I am tied to Juan Samuel FOREVER and my closest to ever getting a real ball... :lol:
:thumbup:

Amaro reported to Rosenthal this morning that Utley may begin jogging any day. It's the next step in the process, he's been fielding ground balls with no problems and has been doing under water work. Once he gets jogging, then running pain free then his return will be quick. I guess it all depends on how the knee holds up, and how much pain he can tolerate. Here's hoping his return is sooner rather than later...

Tonight's lineup vs the Muts:

Victorino CF, Polanco 3B, J Roll SS, Howard 1B, Ibanez LF, Francisco RF, Ruiz C, Valdez 2B, Hamels

'proninja said:
Cole Hamels can eat it :angry:
Typical Cole start of the season. He'll get it going by Late May. As usual, our offense acts like they are facing Cy Young everytime a rookie pitcher gets his first major league start against us.

'proninja said:
Typical Cole start of the season. He'll get it going by Late May. As usual, our offense acts like they are facing Cy Young everytime a rookie pitcher gets his first major league start against us.
Who exactly are you talking about?
Nevermind I thought they kept mentioning a young Mets pitcher just up from the minors but in fact, it was just Chris Young.

'proninja said:
Who exactly are you talking about?
Nevermind I thought they kept mentioning a young Mets pitcher just up from the minors but in fact, it was just Chris Young.
:lol:

5-1, .353 team BA, 43 runs scored, .407obp, and .392risp :eek: . Team is off to a smoking hot start, let's hope it continues down in Hotlanta this weekend.

Huddy vs Lee tonight.

Side note, Roy Halladay is now 15-1 against the NL East.

2 of 3 in Atlanta, off to a 7-2 start. Hamels is back, was absolutely filthy today. Hopefully that's not the Lee we see too often, they were crushing his ball on Friday night.

Big Truck Jose is lights out in the 9th!

Bring on the Nats and Ja$on Werth!!

2 of 3 in Atlanta, off to a 7-2 start. Hamels is back, was absolutely filthy today. Hopefully that's not the Lee we see too often, they were crushing his ball on Friday night. Big Truck Jose is lights out in the 9th! Bring on the Nats and Ja$on Werth!!
Lee's pitches were getting way too much of the plate Friday. He wasn't hitting the corners at all and he was leaving the ball up, too.That's the ridiculous thing about this rotation. Braves avoid Halladay and get Lee on a bad day. But then they still have to contend with Oswalt and Hamels.

2 of 3 in Atlanta, off to a 7-2 start. Hamels is back, was absolutely filthy today. Hopefully that's not the Lee we see too often, they were crushing his ball on Friday night. Big Truck Jose is lights out in the 9th! Bring on the Nats and Ja$on Werth!!
Lee's pitches were getting way too much of the plate Friday. He wasn't hitting the corners at all and he was leaving the ball up, too.That's the ridiculous thing about this rotation. Braves avoid Halladay and get Lee on a bad day. But then they still have to contend with Oswalt and Hamels.
:lmao: What's the best you can hope for in a 3 game series? Seing Oswalt, Hamels and Blanton?! :lmao: They may go all season without losing a series. Ridiculous statement I know, but like you said, there's no "easy" matchup when facing the Phightins. There's at least a good chance they don't have a three game losing streak all year, there's a streak stopper every day. I'm praying for good health, that's the only thing that can derail this train IMO.

'ctdub said:
Does anyone know if section A diamond club is fully protected with a screen fence? Looking at buying some tix on stubhub and bringing kids... I don't want to be in an area with foul ball. Would I be better moving up to hall of fame club?

Tia
Yes/no.The net ends at the brick wall. This picture from center field shows the wall.

Section A is the section between the wall and dugout. It's the first section that is straight with the field after the "angled" section. That being said most of it is protected if you are closer to the homeplate side of the section and back a few rows. I don't think of all the games I've been to or seen have I seen a fouled line drive, hit that section, couple bats in the first couple rows, a couple of bouncers made it over the edge of the dugout.

Either move over a section if you feel uncomfortable but I think the most part of that section is ok OR Row 1 of hall of fame club is pretty sweet.

Especially around the 226-228 sections...

'ctdub said:
Yes/no.

The net ends at the brick wall. This picture from center field shows the wall.

Section A is the section between the wall and dugout. It's the first section that is straight with the field after the "angled" section. That being said most of it is protected if you are closer to the homeplate side of the section and back a few rows. I don't think of all the games I've been to or seen have I seen a fouled line drive, hit that section, couple bats in the first couple rows, a couple of bouncers made it over the edge of the dugout.

Either move over a section if you feel uncomfortable but I think the most part of that section is ok OR Row 1 of hall of fame club is pretty sweet.

Especially around the 226-228 sections...
Ok. Thanks for the info. After looking at that I'm going to pass on sec A, probably too much action. Do you think row 2 in sec 229 would be decent?
I don't think you get a lot of action in A honestly especially where the net ends and the angle of home plate,pic without net up from A however 229 row 2 are great seats also, there really aren't bad seats in the park to be honest.

The best part of those sections are the "private" concessions.

Section A you have a waitress/waiter if you are lazy enough or get your own - HOF you have to get your own. :P

ETA: We just sat in 227 and had 3 foul balls around us - so there is action there :P If the people 5 seats down from us stood up they would have been able to grab the one that hit the rail in front of them :)

2 years ago today we lost the greatest voice in the history of sport. RIP Harry...
I certainly miss Harry the K, but for me, the broadcasts were never the same after Whitey passed.The Wheels/T-Mac combo is like salt in the wound.
Good point about Whitey. Harry was also great in NFL Films though...I loatheeeeeeeee Wheeler , can't stand the guy. T-mac i come and go with.I actually enjoy the Jim Jackson - Larry Andersen combo on the radio...

2 years ago today we lost the greatest voice in the history of sport. RIP Harry...
I certainly miss Harry the K, but for me, the broadcasts were never the same after Whitey passed.The Wheels/T-Mac combo is like salt in the wound.
The Wheeler/McCarthy/Sarge trio is like digging and twisting the knife into the salt. :X McCarthy giggles at everything, Sarge is captain obvious and can't speak properly, and Wheeler is a pompous know-it-all jackass. Can't stand any of them.

'4x champ said:
'E-Z Glider said:
'belljr said:
The Wheeler/McCarthy/Sarge trio is like digging and twisting the knife into the salt. :X McCarthy giggles at everything, Sarge is captain obvious and can't speak properly, and Wheeler is a pompous know-it-all jackass. Can't stand any of them.
:lmao: T-Macs giggling makes me mental. I actually find Sarge unintentionally amusing. I want to rip the rug right off of Wheels' head and slap him across the face with it for disrespecting Harry and Whitey back in the day.

'4x champ said:
'E-Z Glider said:
'belljr said:
2 years ago today we lost the greatest voice in the history of sport.

RIP Harry...
:lmao:

T-Macs giggling makes me mental. I actually find Sarge unintentionally amusing. I want to rip the rug right off of Wheels' head and slap him across the face with it for disrespecting Harry and Whitey back in the day.
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was obsessing over it, it DRIVES ME INSANE. And Wheeler isn't a little bit funny. Sarge has his moments, but like hte giggles, screaming every 6th word gets annoying.

'4x champ said:
'E-Z Glider said:
'belljr said:
2 years ago today we lost the greatest voice in the history of sport.

RIP Harry...
:lmao:

T-Macs giggling makes me mental. I actually find Sarge unintentionally amusing. I want to rip the rug right off of Wheels' head and slap him across the face with it for disrespecting Harry and Whitey back in the day.
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was obsessing over it, it DRIVES ME INSANE. And Wheeler isn't a little bit funny. Sarge has his moments, but like hte giggles, screaming every 6th word gets annoying.
:lmao: He always... OVER EMPHASIZES... one part of each sentence. I love doing Sarge impersonations during the games.

:lmao: What's the best you can hope for in a 3 game series? Seing Oswalt, Hamels and Blanton?! :lmao: They may go all season without losing a series. Ridiculous statement I know, but like you said, there's no "easy" matchup when facing the Phightins. There's at least a good chance they don't have a three game losing streak all year, there's a streak stopper every day. I'm praying for good health, that's the only thing that can derail this train IMO.
And the Marlins get Oswalt, Hamels and Blanton...but the Phils avoid Josh Johnson and Nolasco and get the Marlins' 3-4-5 starters as well.Pitching matchups this weekend:Oswalt vs Javier Vazquezhamels vs. Anibal SanchezBlanton vs Chris Volstad

Users who are viewing this thread