What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (3 Viewers)

This is painful. I'm almost hoping they become sellers because our farm has nothing coming to save the aging dynasty. With a second wild card, I doubt we sell but this is a pivotal year for the Phillies.
I doubt they blow it up. They're two games under .500 and six games back. They could still make a run if Howard, Utley and Halliday come back. But another factor is that they just don't have a lot of assets that will bring much in return.
I know they won't blow it up. the 2nd wild card made certain of that. Pretty much only a handful of sellers this year. They should get top dollar though for weaker trade bait.
Who would you trade?Hamels would command a lot, but can you afford that now?At this point, Halladay's trade value can't be too high.Victorino would be tradeable, but not sure how much you'd really get.Bueller?
I don't think the Phillies should sell. AS long as Halladay, Utley and Howard come back with reasonable health...the additional WC will make them relevant. That being said, if the wheels fall off...1)I'd look to move Halladay or Lee under the understanding that I'm giving Hamels their money, giving him 7 years and making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball. 2)If someone wants to take Rollins off my hands...I'd do it and move Galvis to SS....if not...and he's producing...I'm moving Utley. Fact is, he's probably going to retire after next year. I'm sure he could go to the A.L...play a little of the field and DH.

This is painful. I'm almost hoping they become sellers because our farm has nothing coming to save the aging dynasty. With a second wild card, I doubt we sell but this is a pivotal year for the Phillies.
I doubt they blow it up. They're two games under .500 and six games back. They could still make a run if Howard, Utley and Halliday come back. But another factor is that they just don't have a lot of assets that will bring much in return.
I know they won't blow it up. the 2nd wild card made certain of that. Pretty much only a handful of sellers this year. They should get top dollar though for weaker trade bait.
Who would you trade?Hamels would command a lot, but can you afford that now?At this point, Halladay's trade value can't be too high.Victorino would be tradeable, but not sure how much you'd really get.Bueller?
I don't think the Phillies should sell. AS long as Halladay, Utley and Howard come back with reasonable health...the additional WC will make them relevant. That being said, if the wheels fall off...1)I'd look to move Halladay or Lee under the understanding that I'm giving Hamels their money, giving him 7 years and making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball. 2)If someone wants to take Rollins off my hands...I'd do it and move Galvis to SS....if not...and he's producing...I'm moving Utley. Fact is, he's probably going to retire after next year. I'm sure he could go to the A.L...play a little of the field and DH.
Rollins has an OPS of .648 and $22M remaining on his contract (plus an achievable 2015 vesting option). The Phillies are going to have to pay a large chunk of that if they can find a trade partner.You can look are up and down the Phillies roster and only Hunter Pence is a decent trade chip. Everybody else is some combination of hurt, old, too expensive or not that good.

Rollins has an OPS of .648 and $22M remaining on his contract (plus an achievable 2015 vesting option). The Phillies are going to have to pay a large chunk of that if they can find a trade partner.You can look are up and down the Phillies roster and only Hunter Pence is a decent trade chip. Everybody else is some combination of hurt, old, too expensive or not that good.
Seriously. No one is trading for Rollins or Utley.You are right about Pence. Not sure why I didn't think of him earlier.Trading Hamels or Pence is pretty much blowing it up, but I don't know, maybe I'd do it. If you could get a Halladay-type haul for Hamels, maybe you think about it. Though can't see Hamels giving anyone a sweetheart extension.

I know this is fair weather and all and I'm still inside the 5 year championship complaint window but this is embarrassing the quality of play that is going on.

I'm completely disinterested this season

Seriously. No one is trading for Rollins or Utley.You are right about Pence. Not sure why I didn't think of him earlier.Trading Hamels or Pence is pretty much blowing it up, but I don't know, maybe I'd do it. If you could get a Halladay-type haul for Hamels, maybe you think about it. Though can't see Hamels giving anyone a sweetheart extension.
Trade Hamels and then try like hell to re-sign him in offseasonTrade Lee for prospects and give his money to HamelsTrade Victorino for a decent prospectTrade Chooch if someone is willing to give current valueTrade Juan Pierre at deadline for long-shot prospectKeep Pence and Papelbon because we need themKeep The Vanimal because hes cheap and under control Keep Halladay because his contract is decent and his value is at all-time low Keep Utley/Rollins/Howard because no one wants their crappy old asses and inflated contractsGive away Blanton/Polly to anyone who will take themBring up Dom Brown and play him every day

'E-Z Glider said:
Who would you trade?Hamels would command a lot, but can you afford that now?

At this point, Halladay's trade value can't be too high.

Victorino would be tradeable, but not sure how much you'd really get.

Bueller?
I don't think the Phillies should sell. AS long as Halladay, Utley and Howard come back with reasonable health...the additional WC will make them relevant. That being said, if the wheels fall off...1)I'd look to move Halladay or Lee under the understanding that I'm giving Hamels their money, giving him 7 years and making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

2)If someone wants to take Rollins off my hands...I'd do it and move Galvis to SS....if not...and he's producing...I'm moving Utley. Fact is, he's probably going to retire after next year. I'm sure he could go to the A.L...play a little of the field and DH.
Seriously. No one is trading for Rollins or Utley.You are right about Pence. Not sure why I didn't think of him earlier.

Trading Hamels or Pence is pretty much blowing it up, but I don't know, maybe I'd do it. If you could get a Halladay-type haul for Hamels, maybe you think about it. Though can't see Hamels giving anyone a sweetheart extension.
Trade Hamels and then try like hell to re-sign him in offseasonTrade Lee for prospects and give his money to Hamels

Trade Victorino for a decent prospect

Trade Chooch if someone is willing to give current value

Trade Juan Pierre at deadline for long-shot prospect

Keep Pence and Papelbon because we need them

Keep The Vanimal because hes cheap and under control

Keep Halladay because his contract is decent and his value is at all-time low

Keep Utley/Rollins/Howard because no one wants their crappy old asses and inflated contracts

Give away Blanton/Polly to anyone who will take them

Bring up Dom Brown and play him every day
This is about the only thing likely to happen. Other than keeping Rollins/Utley/Howard simple by lack of choice. In fact I'm not sure why Dom Brown isn't playing everyday already. What have you got to lose? He goes out there and blows it up finally, you get a shot in the arm or worse case some trade value for him again. He blows it? You're no worse off than before. No reason Brown shouldn't be up here on a last place team. Start bringing others who are borderline ready up because what we got ain't working.

Bring Utley up and play him every 3rd day. He's killing it in the minors. He needs to be up here because we've got nothing.

Who would you trade?Hamels would command a lot, but can you afford that now?

At this point, Halladay's trade value can't be too high.

Victorino would be tradeable, but not sure how much you'd really get.

Bueller?
I don't think the Phillies should sell. AS long as Halladay, Utley and Howard come back with reasonable health...the additional WC will make them relevant. That being said, if the wheels fall off...1)I'd look to move Halladay or Lee under the understanding that I'm giving Hamels their money, giving him 7 years and making him the highest paid pitcher in baseball.

2)If someone wants to take Rollins off my hands...I'd do it and move Galvis to SS....if not...and he's producing...I'm moving Utley. Fact is, he's probably going to retire after next year. I'm sure he could go to the A.L...play a little of the field and DH.
Seriously. No one is trading for Rollins or Utley.You are right about Pence. Not sure why I didn't think of him earlier.

Trading Hamels or Pence is pretty much blowing it up, but I don't know, maybe I'd do it. If you could get a Halladay-type haul for Hamels, maybe you think about it. Though can't see Hamels giving anyone a sweetheart extension.
Trade Hamels and then try like hell to re-sign him in offseasonTrade Lee for prospects and give his money to Hamels

Trade Victorino for a decent prospect

Trade Chooch if someone is willing to give current value

Trade Juan Pierre at deadline for long-shot prospect

Keep Pence and Papelbon because we need them

Keep The Vanimal because hes cheap and under control

Keep Halladay because his contract is decent and his value is at all-time low

Keep Utley/Rollins/Howard because no one wants their crappy old asses and inflated contracts

Give away Blanton/Polly to anyone who will take them

Bring up Dom Brown and play him every day
In fact I'm not sure why Dom Brown isn't playing everyday already. What have you got to lose?
Maybe they dont want his bat-flippin, chicken-wing-home-run-trottin ### up here on the big league squad?

This is about the only thing likely to happen. Other than keeping Rollins/Utley/Howard simple by lack of choice. In fact I'm not sure why Dom Brown isn't playing everyday already. What have you got to lose? He goes out there and blows it up finally, you get a shot in the arm or worse case some trade value for him again. He blows it? You're no worse off than before. No reason Brown shouldn't be up here on a last place team.
Gargano claimed that he is so bad in the OF that the Phillies are afraid that he will hurt himself (diving, potentially).

I think you would get a good deal for Shane and a ton back for a guy like Lee if they chose to move him.

I think you would get a good deal for Shane and a ton back for a guy like Lee if they chose to move him.
Victorino is an expiring contract who probably won't qualify for a compensation pick under the new system.Lee has a contract that will pay him $25/yr through his year 36 season. There aren't many teams that can absorb that kind of an albatross.

Victorino is an expiring contract who probably won't qualify for a compensation pick under the new system.Lee has a contract that will pay him $25/yr through his year 36 season. There aren't many teams that can absorb that kind of an albatross.
Can you just let us have one second of enjoyment this year, even if it's just a fantasy?

If they can go 8-2 on this homestand, they still have a shot to make the playoffs this season. Last night gave me hope that it could spark some life into them.

If they can go 8-2 on this homestand, they still have a shot to make the playoffs this season. Last night gave me hope that it could spark some life into them.
Given what I've seen from them all year, I'd be shocked if they can go 8-2 in this homestand. 6-4 seems more realistic to me. Regardless, it's still too early to rule them out of playoff contention. When they get their "guns" back (assuming they're healthy), they're one of the best teams in baseball. They've always been a great second half team.

Given what I've seen from them all year, I'd be shocked if they can go 8-2 in this homestand. 6-4 seems more realistic to me. Regardless, it's still too early to rule them out of playoff contention. When they get their "guns" back (assuming they're healthy), they're one of the best teams in baseball. They've always been a great second half team.
Given the pitching matchups, I'd also be shocked if they win this upcoming 4 game series. They better win tonight with Karstens on the mound

4.5 out of a wild card spot without Utley, Howard or Halladay for a while...with 3 months left, I like our chances.

Why wouldnt Shane qualify for a pick?As far as Lee goes it only takes one team to need him...and I'm sure the Yankees would have interest

4.5 out of a wild card spot without Utley, Howard or Halladay for a while...with 3 months left, I like our chances.

Why wouldnt Shane qualify for a pick?As far as Lee goes it only takes one team to need him...and I'm sure the Yankees would have interest
Under the new CBA, a team is eligible to get compensation only if it makes its former player a qualifying offer at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts. I've seen that number estimated in the $12-$13M range. I can't see the Phillies making that offer, in large part because Victorino would accept it.

Qualls asks to be traded after demotion :lmao:

Qualls said he has asked GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to be traded. "I feel like I'm a big-league pitcher. I've been doing this for a long time," Qualls said.

Qualls asks to be traded after demotion :lmao:Qualls said he has asked GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to be traded. "I feel like I'm a big-league pitcher. I've been doing this for a long time," Qualls said.
How about Kendrick's comment after the game -- "Gave us a chance to win, pitched deep into the game, which they needed me to,'' Kendrick said. We came up short."Yeah d-bag....they also "needed" you to not give up 5 runs in the first inning :rolleyes:

Phillies shopping Hamels?http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/07/02/report-phillies-make-cole-hamels-shane-victorino-available-for-trade/

Jon Heyman is reporting that the team is willing to trade Cole Hamels, and are making calls to other teams to determine his value.---The Phillies suggested a contract extension along the lines of Jered Weaver’s deal with the Angels (about $85 million for five years) near the end of last season. It is believed Hamels is interested in a longer deal, perhaps one closer to CC Sabathia’s $161-million, seven-year contract with the Yankees.

The Pence-Samuel collision would have summed up this season - if Pence had been thrown out at the plate.

So we're 4 games ahead of Colorado and the Cubs... for dead last.

I don't think we need to blow it up though. I'd trade Hamels but only for 4 top prospects. Two that are ready to go by next year and 2 that are ready within 2 years. Otherwise, I'd take my chances on resigning him in the offseason. If you can get a decent return for Blanton and Victorino, I think you do it.

Injuries just wreaked havoc on this team and they got down on themselves pretty early on. the bullpen is a disaster. Amaro is not a very good GM. He can make the monster trade throwing prospects at a team for their big name guy but he can't make the small moves that payoff like Gillick did. Plus he hasn't shown that he can consistently get value back for big name players. The Lee trade is the only example so far but it doesn't inspire confidence.

Hopefully they can make some small trades to get something back in the farm system since this year is a wash but we don't need to blow it up.

I'd trade Hamels but only for 4 top prospects. Two that are ready to go by next year and 2 that are ready within 2 years. Otherwise, I'd take my chances on resigning him in the offseason.
This is where I've come to with this. There's just no point in having Hamels on this team this year if you're not sure whether you can re-sign him. Ideal situation would be to talk to Cole about it and say we want to re-sign you but we also want to get better, so we're going to trade you for now and then we'll bring you back. But if they're too far apart on the money and you think that there's less than a 75% chance that he will re-sign, you just have to bite the bullet, I think.

I'd trade Hamels but only for 4 top prospects. Two that are ready to go by next year and 2 that are ready within 2 years. Otherwise, I'd take my chances on resigning him in the offseason.
This is where I've come to with this. There's just no point in having Hamels on this team this year if you're not sure whether you can re-sign him. Ideal situation would be to talk to Cole about it and say we want to re-sign you but we also want to get better, so we're going to trade you for now and then we'll bring you back. But if they're too far apart on the money and you think that there's less than a 75% chance that he will re-sign, you just have to bite the bullet, I think.
At this point....why would he resign?

1. $$2. Likes being part of the rotation3. Likes Philadelphia4. Believes in front office's ability to turn it around

1. $$2. Likes being part of the rotation

3. Likes Philadelphia

4. Believes in front office's ability to turn it around
Fixed

1. $$2. Likes being part of the rotation

3. Likes Philadelphia

4. Believes in front office's ability to turn it around
Fixed
:goodposting:

:tappingout:

Looking forward to taking my daughter to a game in September for cheap good seats :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cole says he would re-sign if traded. I'm sure he is smart enough not to burn bridges, so be skeptical if you like, but it is still nice to hear.http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/07/09/cole-hamels-says-he-could-re-sign-with-phillies-if-hes-traded/

Of course! That’s something I would never doubt, because of the situation [with the team struggling] and us obviously not being at the front of the pack. I can always leave and come back. When a team gets rid of you, I don’t think anybody looks at it as a slap in the face. I know Cliff didn’t. He pretty much showed the prime example of getting traded off before a [full] season and then coming back. I think that’s always a great possibility. It’s an organization and I understand the business side and I won’t be offended. I think you need to know your players and because I think I’ve been here long enough, I think [the front office] pretty much understands my personality and they know that if something had to arise, I wouldn’t be offended and I still would give them the benefit of the doubt and come back, because this is one of the best organizations I’ve ever seen. It has the best fan base I’ve ever seen. It’s a great place to play baseball and there are a ton of great guys to play baseball with.

So reports are that the Phillies "big" offer to Cole that will "give him something to really think about" is 5 years for $120MM... pfft. So what do you think we can get back for him when he rejects and the Phils realize (maybe) they need to move him?

So reports are that the Phillies "big" offer to Cole that will "give him something to really think about" is 5 years for $120MM... pfft. So what do you think we can get back for him when he rejects and the Phils realize (maybe) they need to move him?
That's comparable to Cain's deal :shrug:

'Eephus said:
'Lehigh98 said:
That's comparable to Cain's deal :shrug:
Doubt that it's enough to dissuade him from testing the FA waters, though.Anthony Gargano suggested (probably stole) last week that they offer him 3/$85 so he'd be number 1 annually by a lot and still have a chance at a 5-year deal after that (he would be a year younger than Lee when he signed his 5/$120).

They're only releasing these figures to save face once they trade him (classic Ed Wade trick). For the record, I do think he'd be open to resigning with us this off-season....

...as long as we offer him the most $$$.

Hamels signshttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-phillies-hamels-agree-135230230--mlb.html

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Cole Hamels and the Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to a $144 million, six-year contract that prevents the 2008 World Series MVP from becoming a free agent after the season.The deal includes a club vesting option for 2019 and a limited no-trade provision, the team announced Wednesday in a statement.A news conference is scheduled for noon before the game against Milwaukee.It's the largest contract signed by a Philadelphia athlete and second-highest for a pitcher behind the $161 million deal the New York Yankees gave CC Sabathia in December 2008.The deal was originally reported by FOXSports.com.The 28-year-old Hamels becomes the third Phillies starter making $20 million per season, joining Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee. A three-time All-Star, Hamels passed up an opportunity to possibly get more money on the open market to stay with the team that drafted him in 2002.The lanky lefty is 11-4 with a 3.23 ERA this season. He's 85-58 with a 3.38 ERA in seven years in Philadelphia. Hamels has never won more than 15 games in a season, and his 2.79 ERA in 2011 was the only time he was under 3.06.Hamels reached the majors in 2006 after battling injuries in the minors. He went 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA in his first full season in 2007, establishing himself as the team's ace and helping the Phillies win the first of five consecutive NL East titles.He was the team's ace in '08 when he went 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA in five postseason starts. Hamels was MVP of the NLCS against Los Angeles and helped the Phillies beat Tampa Bay in five games for their second World Series title in franchise history.Hamels struggled in 2009.He was just 10-11 with a 4.32 ERA that year, and pitched poorly in the postseason as the Phillies tried for a repeat. Hamels was passed over for veteran Pedro Martinez to start Game 2 of the World Series at hostile Yankee Stadium. Hamels then blew a 3-0 lead in a pivotal loss in Game 3, and New York took the series in six games.Following the additions of Halladay and Lee, Hamels went from ace to No. 3 starter. He began 2011 as the No. 4 starter behind Halladay, Lee and Roy Oswalt. There's no doubt that Hamels is the team's best pitcher this season - and now richest, too. Halladay is 4-5 and Lee is 1-6.

The Hamels deal is throwing good money after bad but it does suggest the club is gearing up for one last push with the current squad. I suppose it's Amaro's best option but they'll have huge payroll commitments to a handful of players.

So great.Say what you want about Amaro, he definitely gets big deals done, often under less-than-optimal conditions.
Ummm he should have got this big deal done 4 months ago. He misread what his guy was worth and ended up paying double what his original offer was. He specifically said that Cole was not worth Cliff Lee money and yet now he's paid the same as Cliff. What changed Ruben? Yea Ruben can make a big splash but he sucks as a GM.

So great.Say what you want about Amaro, he definitely gets big deals done, often under less-than-optimal conditions.
Ummm he should have got this big deal done 4 months ago. He misread what his guy was worth and ended up paying double what his original offer was. He specifically said that Cole was not worth Cliff Lee money and yet now he's paid the same as Cliff. What changed Ruben? Yea Ruben can make a big splash but he sucks as a GM.
I like the signing. It got done because you can't let a guy like Hamels walk. You just can't. That said it 5/100 should have been done last year when Weaver signed for 5/85. On a broader scope, the GMs in this town can sure throw money around but can't close the deal with championships.

Users who are viewing this thread