What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (4 Viewers)

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it.

This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it. This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.
None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. The opposing teams will be lucky to get away with a lone run most nights. They could even release the lion's share of the middle relief, maybe hold on to Madsen and Lidge only, but recommend that they take up counted-cross stitch or something to bide their time. This team is going to steamroll next season.

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it. This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.
:lmao: Last postseason they had 3 aces pitching virtually every night. This season they'll have four. Still doesn't solve a potential problem of a weaker lineup. They weren't giving up many runs last post season either but they found out that you still need some inkling of a lineup. With that said, since the Phils have become the new Yankees, they'll probably just buy a big time hitter.

None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. The opposing teams will be lucky to get away with a lone run most nights. They could even release the lion's share of the middle relief, maybe hold on to Madsen and Lidge only, but recommend that they take up counted-cross stitch or something to bide their time. This team is going to steamroll next season.
It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division. Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee.

Didn't the Giants beat all these aces last year?
I love this self-important narrative being trotted out today by Giants fans. (Hey- someone pay attention to us! We're going to be relevant next year! Just you watch!)

I love this move more than anything but our lineup is ancient right now. I fear the slump we had last year was not an anomaly and more indicative of the aging effect taking place. So many injuries last year. Were they just bad luck or bodies wearing down? I hope Chase can return to his previous form. Hopefully Rollins regains the speed and Howard remembers how to hit dingers. Those 3 make our lineup go now. So many strikeouts between the 3 of them though. Tweaking the lineup is needed and adding some cheap depth to the bench would be nice. Keeping Valdez would be great but I havent heard anything about it.

This made my whole offseason but they have a lot of work to do to get back to the World Series.
It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division.

Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee.
:P We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

I guess people will try and find a ***** in the armor for whatever their agenda is, see you in October.

It's still the best rotation in baseball. But in a short series I could see the Cardinals beating them, or a few other teams catching lightning and doing it. But that's just how the sport goes. You have to like your chances. It's a good signing. There's no way this team misses the playoffs, and from there anything can happen.

It's still the best rotation in baseball. But in a short series I could see the Cardinals beating them, or a few other teams catching lightning and doing it. But that's just how the sport goes. You have to like your chances. It's a good signing. There's no way this team misses the playoffs, and from there anything can happen.
Exactly, wild card teams win World Series and Super Bowls. It's why they play the games. I don't remember anyone in this thread guaranteeing anything. If the paper champion won every year, then the Yanks would've won 40 out of the last 43 World Series. But having this rotation certainly improves your chances, and that's all you can do.

It absoluely does matter for the post season. I don't care about the regular season because the Phils will steam roll that division.

Regardless of how good their staff is, they're not going to pitch shutouts every single post season game. They will face good pitching in the post season and will still need to be able to hit. Last season, I kept hearing that the Phils couldn't be beaten with their 3 aces (especially with Blanton only having to pitching one game all post season). Then they were beaten--ironically by the one team that got to Cliff Lee.
:confused: We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

I guess people will try and find a ***** in the armor for whatever their agenda is, see you in October.
Overreact much? The other team was facing great pitching last year as well. How did that work out? The Phils had the best pitching staff going into last post season. For the most part, they pitched remarkably during the post season. How did that work out?

I never said that they were "doomed in the playoffs" or even that they weren't the prohibitive favorites to win it all (which they clearly are). My only point is that they were the prohibitive favorites entering last post season as well and it didn't end well. The reason is that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

My post was in response to the guy who said "None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. This team is going to steamroll next steason". Hitting does matter when it comes to post season and the Phils proved that last year.

Watching the Lakers at Wizards game on local cable (DC) - Jason Werth at the game. Talk about having the air out of your sails.... interview was flatter than the Metrodome. :confused:

:ptts: We've assembled one the greatest staffs in baseball history and it's funny how now the lineup is ancient and can't hit and we're doomed in the playoffs. Yet you argue against yourself when you say that they "will be facing good pitching in the post sesason". No ####, sherlock. Well the other team is facing great pitching. Please tell me what great hitters the Giants have?, and in comparison to our lineup??? The Giants just won a world series with Buster Posey, a bunch of cast offs and journeymen yet somehow our lineup won't hit. Edgar Renteria is 56 years old, Cody Ross was released, no one wanted Aubrey Huff, Uribe is now an overpaid starting platoon player.... yet they won the World Series. Why? Because of the pitching. I'll trot out this starting four and take my chances with our "ancient" lineup any day of the week.

Overreact much? The other team was facing great pitching last year as well. How did that work out? The Phils had the best pitching staff going into last post season. For the most part, they pitched remarkably during the post season. How did that work out?

I never said that they were "doomed in the playoffs" or even that they weren't the prohibitive favorites to win it all (which they clearly are). My only point is that they were the prohibitive favorites entering last post season as well and it didn't end well. The reason is that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

My post was in response to the guy who said "None of the above matters with our starting pitching now. This team is going to steamroll next steason". Hitting does matter when it comes to post season and the Phils proved that last year.
My reply was a combo to you and Insein. And I agree that hitting matters, of course it does. All I'm saying is with the staff we have, you don't have to hit .300 and score 8 runs a game in the playoffs to win it all. Any idea what the Giants postseason BA was? .235 They obviously didn't rely too much on their hitting, but they got timely hitting and won it all with very good to great pitching. PS- good move taking out the homer shot, considering I'm a Phils fan posting in a Phillies thread defending my team. What did ya expect?!Wasn't much of an insult. :unsure:

Wow, I really like the way this deal is structured. Only paying $11 million for this year's salary. Escalate once Ibanez is out of here, as well as possibly Jimmy and Oswalt. If they decide to re-sign Hamels after this year, I assume that Oswalt will have to go, unless they structure Cole's deal similar to what they did with Lee.

Now we just need to hope that a few of the position players in the minors actually develop . . .

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :blackdot:

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere but enjoy Phillies fans. If the f-word is not tolerated, you may want to wait until you get home to view the video.

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :lmao:
Wait - the store is open when the stadium is not?

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :moneybag:
yeah, so is mcfadden's.

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :lmao:
yeah, so is mcfadden's.
:excited:
The Team Store hours at the ballpark are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Saturday.
is that always or just holiday timeit doesn't say on the website... and where can you park. tia

Met Ruben Amaro this morning in the Phils clubhouse store at the stadium. He still seemed giddy, I shook his hand said congrats and thanks, he replied with a thank you for the support and happy holidays! What was he doing in there? With his daughter, buying Cliff Lee gear, of course!! How awesome is that?! :pickle:
yeah, so is mcfadden's.
:pickle:
The Team Store hours at the ballpark are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday thru Saturday.
is that always or just holiday timeit doesn't say on the website... and where can you park. tia
All year round. I parked right in front of the doors, on the street curbside, Citizens Bank Way.

Watching the Lakers at Wizards game on local cable (DC) - Jason Werth at the game. Talk about having the air out of your sails.... interview was flatter than the Metrodome. :no:
Classic case of, "You made your bed, now you lie in it."I know Werth went for the $, he's got his ring and wanted to get paid. But yeah, outside of his paycheck, nothing to be excited about playing in a place where careers go to die slowly and quietly. So yeah, winning wasn't at the top of his list. Fine, he was a FA and is a big boy, he can do whatever he wants. But yeah, nothing exciting about 2011 and beyond from a playoffs/WS perspective in DC.Also read that McNabb was also at that game, and while people cheered for him on the big screen, McNabb was booed. I love it.

Heard today on local sports talk that the Phils are interested in John Mayne. Not sure what his health status is, maybe it's a project like Kris Benson? Or they looking at him for long relief?

Some concern about Utley and his patella tendinitis. They said he's had it before and it's nothing to be worried about, some rest and he'll be back ready to go. :unsure: Needing a big, and healthy, season from him, this isn't a good way to start.

This makes me feel better though....

4 aces

I was about to post something the day before that tendinitis came out wondering if anyone else thought that all that soreness was strange right at the beginning of spring training, but figured I'd be shouted down . . .

In other news, Chooch's wife gives birth to a baby exactly nine months to the day after Halladay's perfect game. Celebrate good times.

Yes, Roy Halladay has the Carlos Ruiz pillow/doll/toy/whatever-it-is at his home in Florida.

It's in his youngest son's bedroom.

Halladay shot a commercial for 2K Sports' MLB 2K11 three or four weeks ago, and Phillies fans love it. Who knew Halladay could act? Who knew he had comedic timing?

"Are you guys saying I'm boring?" he said with a laugh.

Not at all, but an athlete acting can be a train wreck. For every Peyton Manning there are 10 athletes who look like extras in a high school play or musical. They are rigid and robotic, but not Halladay.

"I didn't feel natural," Halladay said. "But it was fun. I had a good time doing it."

Halladay, who said the entire commercial took about 1 1/2 hours to shoot, enjoyed showing the fun side of his personality. Fans and media mostly see Halladay's work ethic, which has made him arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

"When you're here it's obviously all business," he said. "I don't think people ever see really who you are outside the field. So, yeah, I think it's good. I've always kept that stuff separate. Yeah, I enjoyed doing it. And it was fun because it involved Chooch. That kind of made it fun."

Halladay's co-star is a pillow/doll with Ruiz's picture on it.

"I couldn't get ahold of (Ruiz)," Halladay said. "He's got like six phone numbers. I guess finally through the players' union they got ahold of him. They obviously had to get his OK to do it. They got his approval and went from there."

Halladay said he was on board with the idea of acting with a pillow from the beginning.

"There were a couple proposals early and I liked that one," he said. "It seemed to make sense. That was definitely one of my favorites."

See the commercial here.

Update: A Hollywood prop company made two Chooch pillows. They cost $300 each and are the only two in existence. Halladay has one. Not sure who has the other one. Quick, somebody check ebay!
Halladay's commercial :mellow:

Domonic Brown's rough spring finishes at 0 for 15 and a broken hand that will require surgery.

I'm worried this is going to become a :tfp: of epic proportions
Safe to assume you're talking about Chase's knee? Yea things are not looking or sounding good. The type of player Utley is, and he's not playing, or doing anything? Trouble brewing....

I think he should just bite the bullet and have surgery.
I'm not sure why he wouldn't. The problem won't go away, and the cortisone just masks the problem from what I understand. Talking today about surgery as a last resort for Chase. But when asked about when he'll be available, both Chase and Chollie replied, "definitely be back sometime this season". Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but UH OH. :eek: :eek: :scared:ETA: Phils top scout is now following around the Rangers, presumably watching Young.

I think he should just bite the bullet and have surgery.
I'm not sure why he wouldn't. The problem won't go away, and the cortisone just masks the problem from what I understand. Talking today about surgery as a last resort for Chase. But when asked about when he'll be available, both Chase and Chollie replied, "definitely be back sometime this season". Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but UH OH. :eek: :eek: :scared:

ETA: Phils top scout is now following around the Rangers, presumably watching Young.
If the surgery would take him out for the year...08:18 AM ET 03.11 | If Brandon Inge is any indication, Chase Utley is in for a long season. "If he has surgery now, he'll be done for the year," Inge said Wednesday before his team played the Phillies in an exhibition game at Joker Marchant Stadium. Inge is not a doctor, and he does not pretend to be one. But he knows plenty about patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia, the new term given to Utley's condition in a statement released by Phillies team physician Michael Ciccotti. ... Two years ago in spring training, Inge developed soreness in his left knee, and it grew worse as he continued to play. "I just had to learn to deal with it. Otherwise I knew I was going to miss the whole year," Inge said. "About a month before the all-star break, it was terrible." Inge hit .268 with 21 home runs and 58 RBIs before the all-star break in 2009 and just .186 with six home runs and 26 RBIs after the break.

Chase .. no RF... going to be interesting
Francisco will be fine.
What's the word on when Brown will be back? Will he pretty much be given the job back when he's healthy?
He'll go to AAA to get his swing back after the wrist is healed, so I don't think we'll see him with the big club until June. And he never had the job to begin with. He was in competition with Francisco and Mayberry. It'll be his eventually, but it was not set in stone that it would be his this year. How much he plays when he comes back might depend on how the other OF are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread