What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (1 Viewer)

Mike Trout still has a team and teammates and all.  I don't know what Harper's relationship is with Trout but if it isn't great,  I could see this being a huge turnoff to Trout.  Harper seems to be trying really hard and I don't understand why.     :shrug:  
I don't see how you can call it tampering when Players are talking. If that's tampering then Lebron James, Wade and Bosh's teams all should've been disciplined for how they all recruited each other to one team while still playing on different teams 2 yrs before. Remember they schemed that decision up at the 08 Summer Games. If you aren't a fan of players teaming up fine but don't blame the players for the rules they are working around loopholes there. Lebrron talking to SImmons at the all star game about possible going to LA really isn't tampering. Mike Trout saying hey if I have an opportunity to talk to Trout to come here you're crazy to think I won't isn't tampering. Now if you we want to dive deeper and say well teams and orgs are giving their players the Wink Wink Nudge Nudge hey can you do this for us because if we say anything it's considered tampering then by all means be mad. Don't be mad at people going after the loop holes be mad at the league. As a paying customer yes I was mad at the Sixers tanking but I was more mad at the league for not trying harder over the years to fix those loop holes that were exploited. 

The Biggest issue here is the Angles know dam well they are up ####s creek without a paddle. Their farm system is one of the worst, their MLB team is avg at best with the best player in baseball and will get worse if they don't keep him. At the same time Trout hasn't had much post season success and could be looking to go else where for that title opportunity either here in Philly or elsewhere. The Angels are just upset and frustrated because they want to resign Trout but know it's gonna be tough under their current team layout when it comes to overall success currently and in the future. This is no different then the Anthony Davis situation with NO though in terms of frustrations besides the fact it's not tampering since the team really isn't involved it was one player saying something not even asked by the media brought up. NO is frustrated they will lost AD. Their team isn't great right now. They couldn't keep Cousins and he got hurt and then on top of that you got another player in another org trying to recruit him there? It's jealousy and frustration. Probably sour grapes too knowing most likely the Angles are losing the player either via trade or FA. 

harper doesnt really strike me as a smart guy
He's incredible smart. He graduated HS in 2 yrs just so he could focus on Baseball and go to JUCO. On my old Baseball board we had like 2-3 National fans frequent the board. All 3 have met Harper and he was really articulate in speaking with fans and came off as very educated. I've heard from other fans around the league too who said the same. I haven't met him personally but know friends and a co worker who have met him. Very well versed in baseball and his history of the game as well as other topics. He knows how to treat the paying customer and most of the time in Philly with heckling he played along with it. What he did here is no different then Lebron or another nBA player saying hey there's a big name player who's contract is up at the end of this or next season I'd love to play with him and yeah your dam right I'll try to get him to play here. My issue here more is about the hypocrisy of fans and media here. The same people who had zero problem with Lebron or others in the NBA recruiting players to their respective teams seem to have a problem with Bryce Harper doing exactly the same thing. Like I said if this is tampering what do you call 08 Summer Games with Wade/Bosh/James making a pact to play together for the Summer of 2010 when they all became FA's? Both situations are the same and aren't tampering. It's a loophole.   

Sounds like a pretty joking thing to me. Like yea when that all star guy is a free agent, I'm definitely gonna give him a call. 
And it was Brought up himself to begin with at the Press Conference. No one asked him. He was just saying I came here to play as well as if I can get other great players here I will. He was showing how much he meant that that with hey there's a certain guy in 2020 who becomes available and you are crazy if you don't think I'm gonna call him. Nothing wrong with that. The Angels are just being pissy because there's a huge chance Trout won't even resign and they have to trade him or let him go for nothing. A lot of this is PR work for the Angels too so they can keep the fans happy and don't look like a bunch of pushovers. 

Good example of what is hopefully to come this year. Harper didn't see much to hit and got a worked a 3-1 count to a BB Rhys comes up and gets a pitch that he obliges and obliterates over the Tiki Bar for a 2 Run HR. Hoskins behind Harper is gonna see plenty of pitches and vice versa.Gonna be pick your poison and with JT in the line up as well its gonna be a dangerous line up 

Good example of what is hopefully to come this year. Harper didn't see much to hit and got a worked a 3-1 count to a BB Rhys comes up and gets a pitch that he obliges and obliterates over the Tiki Bar for a 2 Run HR. Hoskins behind Harper is gonna see plenty of pitches and vice versa.Gonna be pick your poison and with JT in the line up as well its gonna be a dangerous line up 
Definitely.  Can’t think of a better lineup in the NL from top to bottom 

Definitely.  Can’t think of a better lineup in the NL from top to bottom 
This is why I was in the minority of the team resigning Cliff Lee and letting Werth Walk at the time. We already proved we could win without dominate pitchers outside of Cole Hamels. The Line up was desperate for right handed Power bat to Protect Howard and Split the two L's in Utley and Howard. Our line up eventually suffered do to that but people had tunnel vision for Cliff Lee. I thought Lee was a good pitcher, Late bloomer but many fans severely overhyped him. Either way people underrated the protection in the lineup as well as Amaro. 

On a different note this is the most excited I've been for the Phillies since they got Roy Halladay. 

This is why I was in the minority of the team resigning Cliff Lee and letting Werth Walk at the time. We already proved we could win without dominate pitchers outside of Cole Hamels. The Line up was desperate for right handed Power bat to Protect Howard and Split the two L's in Utley and Howard. Our line up eventually suffered do to that but people had tunnel vision for Cliff Lee. I thought Lee was a good pitcher, Late bloomer but many fans severely overhyped him. Either way people underrated the protection in the lineup as well as Amaro. 

On a different note this is the most excited I've been for the Phillies since they got Roy Halladay. 
Agree.  Phillies in the playoffs will be sweet.  I may actually watch a decent amount of baseball this year.  

need2know said:
Agree.  Phillies in the playoffs will be sweet.  I may actually watch a decent amount of baseball this year.  
Last year was the first in awhile I literally watched a full Phillies or Baseball game. I'm by no means fair weather fan just PO'd with Amaro for who me made me dislike baseball. I was still following it thanks to my fantasy league and such

Last year was the first in awhile I literally watched a full Phillies or Baseball game. I'm by no means fair weather fan just PO'd with Amaro for who me made me dislike baseball. I was still following it thanks to my fantasy league and such
Yeah I play fantasy baseball which I really like but I usually just go by box scores.  With the Phillies sucking so bad in recent years I barely watched any baseball at all.  I'm happy they have given me a reason to come back.  When they were great 10 years ago was really fun times

Yeah I play fantasy baseball which I really like but I usually just go by box scores.  With the Phillies sucking so bad in recent years I barely watched any baseball at all.  I'm happy they have given me a reason to come back.  When they were great 10 years ago was really fun times
I skipped my college Classes to go to the parade. Unfortunately I was only 20 at the time. My old board I also had a few people who followed various other teams besides the Phillies so I kept following it to a degree. 

Bet my dad regrets fixing millvilles baseball field now.

Forget what year it was - dont even know if Trout was in high school yet.  Anyway - dad had athletic field company, hired to fix up field.

Asked some kids there, if there were a lot of close plays at first.  They :shrug:

He says well first base is 93ft  

So he tells everyone jokingly if he didn't fix that Trout would had a lot less hits  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why I hadn’t thought of this before, but I now realize that odubel will eventually kill Harper inadvertently and that will be that.
He pisses me off at least twice a game which isn' easy to do. I hate watching the Phillies broadcast when he screws up because McCarthy and company are Company KA guys which is why LA and Scott will never be on TV. It was nice of ESPN to tell people exactly what Odubel is. I wouldn't hesitate to ship him out if there was a chance to get more SP depth here especially a lefty. 

Another Harper is debuting in Philly this August. Bryce and his wife Kayla announce on Instagram they are expecting a baby boy in August. This is their first child

Dave Robertson sucks.  Looks like the one fa pickup that won't workout.

And I'm gonna drop him from my fantasy team

Well. Back to square one I guess. This team probably needed s good drubbing to bring them back to reality a bit. We're not going to win the east in April.

Well. Back to square one I guess. This team probably needed s good drubbing to bring them back to reality a bit. We're not going to win the east in April.
I think the team will be very competitive and in the thick of the NL east race but....they have the 3rd best rotation in the division (at best).  The Mets have a better rotation and bullpen and if Conforto stays healthy, their lineup is good enough to win that division.  The Nats have a great top 3 in their rotation and their lineup is still pretty good (especially with how Robles has looked early on and Turner coming back eventually).  The Braves should be solid as well.  This division is actually very tough.  

Well lets forget about that cluster#### last night. Even the best teams gets bent over and used every now and again. The good thing is If our starters aren't doing well we have the offense most nights to catch up. The problem is we got a shaky at best Pen. If Keuchel and Kimbrel asking prices drop the Phillies need to go get them in a big way. Pivetta has a ton of potential but he needs to work on his movement on his stuff

It's still early very early in the season but this Harper contract is not looking very good.  His strikeout % spiked up last year and it's even higher this year (almost 30%).  He's not even getting unlucky as his BABIP is decent.  He's also making softer contact than he has previously.  Not good signs for someone who is signed for 13 years.  

It's still early very early in the season but this Harper contract is not looking very good.  His strikeout % spiked up last year and it's even higher this year (almost 30%).  He's not even getting unlucky as his BABIP is decent.  He's also making softer contact than he has previously.  Not good signs for someone who is signed for 13 years.  
Not worried 2 months in. If he's still like this in July of 2020, I'll be concerned.

he was good for a lot of the first month, went into a slump and now is coming back.

His exit velocity and hard hit % are still really good and actually looking at some of the sxtats, he has actually been getting a bit unlucky: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/bryce-harper-547180?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

Not time to rejoice, but certainly no reason to overreact 2 months in to a 13-year contract.

Users who are viewing this thread