What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (4 Viewers)

'Raider Nation said:
EASY World Series winners right here. MLB should just cancel the remainder of the season.
If the offense can keep this up, yes. Like most Phillies fans, I'm concerned about getting shut down by a hot staff, lose home field, and then anything is possible. Yes, we have been here before. The best Phillies teams of my lifetime never got to the World Series (76 and 77). Although, if they keep this up, this one could be the best Phillies team ever.

'Raider Nation said:
EASY World Series winners right here. MLB should just cancel the remainder of the season.
If the offense can keep this up, yes. Like most Phillies fans, I'm concerned about getting shut down by a hot staff, lose home field, and then anything is possible. Yes, we have been here before. The best Phillies teams of my lifetime never got to the World Series (76 and 77). Although, if they keep this up, this one could be the best Phillies team ever.
The Phillies are awesome this year and the clear favorite (just in Vegas last week and I think they were 3-1 to win it all). However, the biggest concern might be that this year's playoff teams offers 4 or 5 legitimate threats. A strong rotation could shut this team down in a series and thats really the only chance of beating them. I think SF, Atl, Boston and the Yanks (not a great rotation but a good bullpen and they can bash) all would have a legitimate shot of beating this team in a 7 game series. Pray they don't end up having to play SF in the first round.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Raider Nation said:
The Phillies are awesome this year and the clear favorite (just in Vegas last week and I think they were 3-1 to win it all). However, the biggest concern might be that this year's playoff teams offers 4 or 5 legitimate threats. A strong rotation could shut this team down in a series and thats really the only chance of beating them. I think SF, Atl, Boston and the Yanks (not a great rotation but a good bullpen and they can bash) all would have a legitimate shot of beating this team in a 7 game series. Pray they don't end up having to play SF in the first round.
San Fran doesn't scare me, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. I'm more worried about Atlanta.

Considering our BA against Cain and Lincecum, I don't want any part of facing those two guys four times in a seven game series. And we dont exactly light up Baumgarnter either.

'Raider Nation said:
San Fran doesn't scare me, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. I'm more worried about Atlanta.
They were a lousy offensive team last year as well. They have 2 stud pitchers and 2 other decent pitchers. Give them a couple clutch hits and they're a serious threat to the Phils IMHO. Not sure how any Phillies fan wouldn't at least be a little scared of the Giants.

'fred_1_15301 said:
'Snotbubbles said:
'Raider Nation said:
They were a lousy offensive team last year as well. They have 2 stud pitchers and 2 other decent pitchers. Give them a couple clutch hits and they're a serious threat to the Phils IMHO. Not sure how any Phillies fan wouldn't at least be a little scared of the Giants.
Well you can say that about ANY team when you get to the playoffs. But quite frankly, SF is actually a WORSE hitting team than last year. I think the Phils announcers said something to the effect that as bas as they were last year offensively, they have scored 50 fewer runs this year. Atlanta is much scarier team. Then can both hit and pitch.

Ho hum, another win. Too bad LA fouled off so many damn pitches (30), it would've been awesome to see Lee pitch another CG shutout.

This team is sick. I'm not sure we can completely grasp what we're witnessing, yet. Easily one of the greatest Phillie teams ever, and it's only August.

after being down 6-0 to LA, Phils now up 9-7 in 8th inning- what a team! :thumbup:
On a getaway day, with a day off tomorrow, last game of an 8-1 road trip and completing 20 games in 20 days. You might think they say ok lets get just get home after going down 5-0 in the first. It would've be completely understandable. Except that this is the greatest Phils team ever!!!!! :clap: :clap:

I'm not sure whats wrong with Howard but he better wake the hell up. This is the best lineup we've had since 07. Pence and Mayberry are an upgrade over Werth and Burrell. We need Howard to produce though.

On another note, Victorino has to be in serious consideration for MVP. He has better numbers than Jimmy did in 07. He has a shot at 30 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 stolen bases all while batting above .315. I think Fielder or Braun will get it though since they are power hitters.

Saturday nights 7:05 game has been ppd till Sept 15th.. Sunday's game will be played tomorrow at 1:05.. will be interesting to see if there is a big crowd with the hurricane coming..

I'm not sure whats wrong with Howard but he better wake the hell up. This is the best lineup we've had since 07. Pence and Mayberry are an upgrade over Werth and Burrell. We need Howard to produce though.

On another note, Victorino has to be in serious consideration for MVP. He has better numbers than Jimmy did in 07. He has a shot at 30 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homers and 20 stolen bases all while batting above .315. I think Fielder or Braun will get it though since they are power hitters.
Yeah, I hate that guy. When will people just relax with him? After his 7th straight RBI season? 8th, 9th, 10th?

Yeah, I hate that guy. When will people just relax with him? After his 7th straight RBI season? 8th, 9th, 10th?
I'm not sure what people want from this guy. All he's doing is breaking records, and it's not enough. People say he's not clutch but he's carried this team for multiple septembers and I believe he has one of the better playoff averages on the team. I think it was his own fault when he put up 58 and 140 and hit over .300. People expecting those numbers every year are sure to be disappointed. Pretty sad that some people just cant enjoy what they have.

The problem with Howard is that he's very streaky. Yea he gets his stats by years end but he goes through long droughts with nothing. Then boom, he'll hit 8 hrs, 20 rbi in 2 weeks. You live and die with the timing of his slumps. If he's on fire, he can carry you through a playoff series (08 and 09 NLCS) and if he's slumping, he can cost you one (09 WS and 10 NLCS). I just hope he's streaking come October.

This just in, the Phillies are pretty good. Lets just sweep Milwaukee for the heck of it. Let teams know they have zero chance against us.

The Phillies said this week there would be no champagne celebration for wrapping up the wild card, and when Halladay finished off Houston he and his teammates barely cracked a smile. Phillies players and manager Charlie Manuel simply lined up for handshakes following their 95th win, just as if it were any other.

The Phillies said this week there would be no champagne celebration for wrapping up the wild card, and when Halladay finished off Houston he and his teammates barely cracked a smile. Phillies players and manager Charlie Manuel simply lined up for handshakes following their 95th win, just as if it were any other.
If I were the Phillies, no champagne celebrations untill the World Series this year- with this team and pitching staff, every other series is just another step to the ultimate goal.

If I were the Phillies, no champagne celebrations untill the World Series this year- with this team and pitching staff, every other series is just another step to the ultimate goal.
:goodposting: This team clinched the playoffs the day they signed Lee. There should absolutely be no celebration unless they win it all. With that said, these guys are so freaking professional, focused and motivated right now. I just don't see how they will blow this.

They'll celebrate the Division title. They always do. There are some guys like Pence and Worley who have never experienced that.

Of course. Just amazing to think that the Phillies are in this situation after my entire fandom basically starting in 1985.

These are the things you do when you're the best team in baseball and very bored while finishing out the regular season. Rookies flying to Atlanta in costumes supplied by Lidge and Madson. :lmao:

Anyone else think sweeping the Braves to let the Cardinals into the playoffs is a little too familiar to sweeping the Padres last year to help the Giants in?

Anyone else think sweeping the Braves to let the Cardinals into the playoffs is a little too familiar to sweeping the Padres last year to help the Giants in?
The Cards have Carpenter going tonight. Best case scenario is Atlanta and St. Louis tie for the wildcard. Then St. Louis wins the 1 game playoff but burns their #2 starter in the process. Then they have to start their 5 games series with their #3 guy.Pitching matchups would go a little something like this:Oct. 1: Halladay v. Loshe Oct. 2: Lee v. Westbrook/Carpenter (on short rest)Oct. 4: Hamels v. Carpenter/GarciaOct. 5: Oswalt v. Garcia/WestbrookOct. 7: Halladay v. Loshe/Carpenter (if he pitches on the 10/2)I like the potential to only have to face Carpenter and Garcia once.I'd rather face them, then Arizona who set their rotation.

Wasn't the sweep of the Padres in August last year? There was still a whole month of the season left after that so blame the Padres for that one.

Garcia is junk and burnt out - not worried about him at all at this point.
Because the Cards used Carpenter last night, it's doubtful they'd start him until game 3. Massively huge pitching advantage for the Phillies in this series.
We'll be fine. I think we win this in 4 at worst. Carpenter is due to start game 3 and if they try to push him to short rest, it would bode well for our lineup. They can handle a guy trying to push himself. If Carpenter pitches game 2, we win in 3.

Users who are viewing this thread