Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Great Novel Draft

timschochet

What categories are left?

There are 8 categories left: Non-English post 1900, historical, horror, political, fantasy, science fiction, love story, and willdcard.
:lmao:

We did Historical novel February 4; War and Peace was a runaway winner.

However, since I could use another 20 pointer, I'm in favor of repeating the poll.

Extraordinary achievement by Marie-Henri Beyle (aka Stendahl) - his two masterpieces, "The Red & the Black" and "The Charterhouse of Parma" combined, in their categories, for a grand total of ZERO votes. Tho the author himself recognized his audience as "the Happy Few", he had no idea....

There are 8 categories left: Non-English post 1900, historical, horror, political, fantasy, science fiction, love story, and willdcard.
:shrug:

However, since I could use another 20 pointer, I'm in favor of repeating the poll.

You're right. Unless I'm missing one then, there are 7 categories left.

:no:

Yeah, looks like we're good - 7 more to go, in all the categories (minus Historical) you listed above.

I did a search by author timschochet with the word Great in the title in the FFA. Found all your polls for the Great Novel Draft. Looks like we lost count around poll #7 - should have skipped #8 & #9. For the other Triple Poll, we did skip the next two numbers. Then when you did poll #11, you skipped #12 for no reason.

ANYWAY, bottom line is today was poll #23, tomorrow will be #24 (and six more after that).

:no:

Yeah, looks like we're good - 7 more to go, in all the categories (minus Historical) you listed above.

I did a search by author timschochet with the word Great in the title in the FFA. Found all your polls for the Great Novel Draft. Looks like we lost count around poll #7 - should have skipped #8 & #9. For the other Triple Poll, we did skip the next two numbers. Then when you did poll #11, you skipped #12 for no reason.

ANYWAY, bottom line is today was poll #23, tomorrow will be #24 (and six more after that).

"timschochet" and "great"- nice ring to that.

Extraordinary achievement by Marie-Henri Beyle (aka Stendahl) - his two masterpieces, "The Red & the Black" and "The Charterhouse of Parma" combined, in their categories, for a grand total of ZERO votes. Tho the author himself recognized his audience as "the Happy Few", he had no idea....

:lmao:

There are 8 categories left: Non-English post 1900, historical, horror, political, fantasy, science fiction, love story, and willdcard.At this point I can't see anyone catching Krista./OH. They are the arbiters of public opinion. But it will be a close struggle for 2nd place.
I don't think many of the remaining categories are our strenghths--e.g. horror, in which I think our choice is superior but will lose to much better-known fare. So I don't think our lead is insurmountable by any means.ETA: I do think however, that we rock.

There are 8 categories left: Non-English post 1900, historical, horror, political, fantasy, science fiction, love story, and willdcard.At this point I can't see anyone catching Krista./OH. They are the arbiters of public opinion. But it will be a close struggle for 2nd place.
I don't think many of the remaining categories are our strenghths--e.g. horror, in which I think our choice is superior but will lose to much better-known fare. So I don't think our lead is insurmountable by any means.ETA: I do think however, that we rock.
I'm in second, and none of those are my strengths either. And I'm 55 points behind you, and everyone else is even further back. It's not gonna happen.

I'm in second, and none of those are my strengths either. And I'm 55 points behind you, and everyone else is even further back. It's not gonna happen.
Yeah, but what do you think about our ability to rock?

I think that your husband is an insufferable snob and his critiques remind me of, ironically, Ayn Rand. I can pull up some Rand quotes regarding literature that sound remarkably like Oliver. I think that's pretty funny, considering. Otherwise, you guys are pretty cool.

I don't think many of the remaining categories are our strenghths--e.g. horror, in which I think our choice is superior but will lose to much better-known fare. So I don't think our lead is insurmountable by any means.
poor li'l front-running trendsuckers....did one of the emeralds fall out of the bejeweled Nabokov likeness on your death-commemorative serfskin bookmark, too?....did you find foxing on the cover of your rare Audubon "Fauna Erotica"?....I just might cry....

At this point I can't see anyone catching Krista./OH. They are the arbiters of public opinion. But it will be a close struggle for 2nd place.

I don't think many of the remaining categories are our strenghths--e.g. horror, in which I think our choice is superior but will lose to much better-known fare. So I don't think our lead is insurmountable by any means.
poor li'l front-running trendsuckers....did one of the emeralds fall out of the bejeweled Nabokov likeness on your death-commemorative serfskin bookmark, too?....did you find foxing on the cover of your rare Audubon "Fauna Erotica"?....I just might cry....
:lmao: So awesome. I :rant:wikkid his friend Funcooker.

At this point I can't see anyone catching Krista./OH. They are the arbiters of public opinion. But it will be a close struggle for 2nd place.

ETA: I do think however, that we rock.

You guys are, I dunno, what rhymes with K4-OH? WINNING, anyone? They're a couple F-18s dropping their ordnance on this draft, basically doing strafing runs in their underwear before they've even made their first cup of coffee. Hell, can you imagine how bad they would toasted everyone if they even tried?

You guys are, I dunno, what rhymes with K4-OH? WINNING, anyone? They're a couple F-18s dropping their ordnance on this draft, basically doing strafing runs in their underwear before they've even made their first cup of coffee. Hell, can you imagine how bad they would toasted everyone if they even tried?
I just thank you for spelling "ordnance" right, instead of the "ordinance" I've seen from others. Also, you have tiger blood.

I just thank you for spelling "ordnance" right, instead of the "ordinance" I've seen from others. Also, you have tiger blood.
Didn't you guys ask to not be included in any popular voting at one point?

Final Results for Non English after 1900:

20 pts 100 Years of Solitude- Andy Griffith

19 pts All Quiet on the Western Front- Chaos Commish

18 pts One Day In The Life of Ivan- DC Thunder

17 pts In search of Lost Time- pantagrapher

16 pts The Alchemist The Moops

15 pts Death in Venice- Tremendous Upside

11 pts Musashi- Rikishiboy

Silence- Krista/OH

2666- Bob Lee Swagger

The Silent Cry- NJHerdfan

6 pts The Magic Mountain- wikkidpissah

Cancer Ward- DougB

Snow Country- BobbyLayne

The Tin Drum- Eephus

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest- Frostillicus

2 pts The Temple of the Golden Pavilion- Karma Police

Furioso- timschochet

Solibo Magnificent- Thorn

Journey to the End of the Night- Yankee23fan

Total Results after 24 rounds:

Krista/OH 351

wikkidpissah 29

The Moops 290

timschochet 287

Frostillicus 277

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 250

DougB 249

Bob Lee Swagger 249

BobbyLayne 248

Thorn 243

Eephus 221

Chaos Commish 221

Karma Police 218

NJHerdfan 216

DC Thunder 214

Rikishiboy 210

Yankee23fan 200

pantagrapher 169

Tremendous Upside 136

Hell Toupee 132

Okay, that was just funny.

Oh, however can I thank you for your comic approval?! No LOL emoticons, no euphemisms for gales of laughter, but an actual acknowlegement of me and what i have to say as being worthy of your mirth!! How may i repay you for such encomiums of approbation - may i chop the lemongrass & grind the tamarind paste next time you make Thai food for six? Re-varnish your shoetrees? Hire a Kurd to translate for a more nuanced appreciation when you & your princess next rent a Turkish film? You've but to say....

Oh, however can I thank you for your comic approval?! No LOL emoticons, no euphemisms for gales of laughter, but an actual acknowlegement of me and what i have to say as being worthy of your mirth!! How may i repay you for such encomiums of approbation - may i chop the lemongrass & grind the tamarind paste next time you make Thai food for six? Re-varnish your shoetrees? Hire a Kurd to translate for a more nuanced appreciation when you & your princess next rent a Turkish film? You've but to say....
:thumbup::lmao: :lmao: I'm dying here. But surely they don't need to rent Turkish films? I'm betting their dvd collection is already well stocked full of them...

Final Results for Horror

20 pts Silence of the Lambs- Eephus

17 pts Frankenstein- BobbyLayne

It- Chaos Commish

The Shining- Frostillicus

16 pts House of Leaves- Krista/OH

15 pts The Picture of Dorian Gray Doug B

13 pts The Exorcist wikkidpissah

Carrie- Thorn

12 pts Rosemary’s Baby DC Thunder

11 pts I am Legend The Moops

8 pts The Turn of the Screw NJHerdfan

Haunting of Hill House Andy Griffith

Salem’s Lot Yankee23fan

6 pts Hell House Karma Police

Marathon Man- timschochet

3 pts The Collector Tremendous Upside

We Have Always Lived In the Castle Bob Lee Swagger

Ghost Story- HellToupee

2 pts Battle Royale Rikikshiboy

Total results after 25 rounds

Krista/OH 367

wikkidpissah 308

The Moops 301

Frostillicus 294

timschochet 293

Bobby Lane 265

DougB 264

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 258

Thorn 256

Bob Lee Swagger 252

Eephus 241

Chaos Commish 238

DC Thunder 226

Karma Police 224

NJHerdfan 224

Rikishiboy 212

Yankee23fan 208

pantagrapher 169

Tremendous Upside 139

Hell Toupee 135

mmmmmm...lemongrass.

Missed this before. I recall saying I didn't want to be in a "here are the lists; which one is best" popular vote. I don't remember--and am not going to spend my time searching any more than you have--objecting to individual polls but very well could have.

Missed this before. I recall saying I didn't want to be in a "here are the lists; which one is best" popular vote. I don't remember--and am not going to spend my time searching any more than you have--objecting to individual polls but very well could have.
You didn't object to this.

Final Results for Horror

20 pts Silence of the Lambs- Eephus

17 pts Frankenstein- BobbyLayne

It- Chaos Commish

The Shining- Frostillicus

16 pts House of Leaves- Krista/OH

15 pts The Picture of Dorian Gray Doug B

Total results after 25 rounds

Bobby Lane 265

DougB 264

Weeks of bump drafting finally pays off!

Final Results for Political Novel:

19 pts Animal Farm Andy Griffith

1984 Rikishiboy

18 pts Invisible Man BobbyLayne

17 pts Uncle Tom’s Cabin Krista/OH

15 pts Fahrenheit 451 Yankee23fan

The Jungle DougB

13 pts Doctor Zhivago Chaos Commish

All The King’s Men HellToupee

12 pts The Manchurian Candidate Karma Police

10 pts Watership Down Frostillicus

Cloud Atlas Bob Lee Swagger

7 pts Darkness at Noon NJHerdfan

In Dubious Battle Thorn

U.S.A. Trilogy wikkidpissah

4 pts The Quest for Christa T Pantagrapher

The Last Hurrah The Moops

The Public Burning Eephus

1 pt Advise and Consent DC Thunder

Germinal Tremendous Upside

The Man timschochet

Total Results after 26 rounds:

Krista/OH 384

wikkidpissah 315

The Moops 305

Frostillicus 304

timschochet 294

Bobby Lane 283

DougB 279

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 277

Thorn 263

Bob Lee Swagger 262

Chaos Commish 251

Eephus 245

Karma Police 236

NJHerd 231

Rikishiboy 231

DC Thunder 227

Yankee23fan 223

pantagrapher 173

Helltoupee 148

Tremendous Upside 140

Final results for Fantasy

20 pts Lord of the Rings DC Thunder

19pts Alice in Wonderland Krista/OH

18 pts The Princess Bride The Moops

17 pts The Dark Tower Frostillicus

15 pts The Elfstones of Shanarra timschochet

Something Wicked This Way Comes DougB

14 pts Kafka on the Shore BobbyLayne

13 pts Dragonlance Chronicles Thorn

7 pts The BFG NJHerdfan

Arthur Rex wikkidpissah

The Talisman Yankee23fan

A Song of Ice and Fire Chaos Commish

Xanth Rikishiboy

Mort Bob Lee Swagger

5 pts His Dark Materials Andy Griffith

The Neverending Story Karma Police

3 pts Riddley Walker Eephus

American Gods HellToupee

Total results after 27 rounds

Krista/OH 403

The Moops 323

wikkidpissah 322

Frostillicus 321

timschochet 309

Bobby Lane 307

DougB 294

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 282

Thorn 276

Bob Lee Swagger 269

Chaos Commish 258

Eephus 248

DC Thunder 247

Karma Police 241

NJHerd 238

Rikishiboy 238

Yankee23fan 230

pantagrapher 173

Helltoupee 151

Tremendous Upside 140

I'm starting to feel somewhat confident in our chances.

Deep inside, doesn't this result bother Oliver just a little? I can just see him thinking, "Our selections should not be this popular with the general public! How can I maintain my aloof, I-Know-Literature-Better-Than-The-Rest-Of-You attitude if everyone agrees with me? Suppose we made the wrong picks? Suppose we picked- Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid- PAGETURNERS?????"

Oh, reeeeally?! Since we could discount your books in the last three cats AND take away 20 pts for false modesty and you'd still win, i'm surprised it took you this long to unclench. And i want you to be comfortable. May I put vanilla beans in all your heating vents to make the aroma of your life more winning? Perhaps rent the winner of the Incredibly Spoiled Cat Show and have it delivered on a royal velvet pillow? Hire the Dalai Lama's stylist for a mani/pedi for you before the awards ceremony? Anything for you, princess....

Deep inside, doesn't this result bother Oliver just a little? I can just see him thinking, "Our selections should not be this popular with the general public! How can I maintain my aloof, I-Know-Literature-Better-Than-The-Rest-Of-You attitude if everyone agrees with me? Suppose we made the wrong picks? Suppose we picked- Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid- PAGETURNERS?????"
I can't say that I believe it enters his consciousness one way or another.I, on the other hand, will lord it over the rest of you 'til the end of my days.

Oh, reeeeally?! Since we could discount your books in the last three cats AND take away 20 pts for false modesty and you'd still win, i'm surprised it took you this long to unclench. And i want you to be comfortable. May I put vanilla beans in all your heating vents to make the aroma of your life more winning? Perhaps rent the winner of the Incredibly Spoiled Cat Show and have it delivered on a royal velvet pillow? Hire the Dalai Lama's stylist for a mani/pedi for you before the awards ceremony? Anything for you, princess....
Put the winner of the Incredibly Spoiled Cat Show in our heating vents and have the Dalai Lama delivered on a velvet pillow, and maybe we can talk.

Put the winner of the Incredibly Spoiled Cat Show in our heating vents and have the Dalai Lama delivered on a velvet pillow, and maybe we can talk.
i can guess what i can do with the vanilla beans............well played.

Final Results for Science Fiction

19 pts Hitchhiker’s The Moops

Ender’s Game Frostillicus

18 pts A Clockwork Orange Krista/OH

15 pts Do Androids Dream? Hell Toupee

Dune Karma Police

The Foundation Series Andy Griffith

13 pts Sirens of Titan wikkidpissah

Strangers in a Strange Land Doug B

12 pts The Invisible Man BobbyLayne

8 pts High Castle Eephus

Ringworld Rikishiboy

Algernon timschochet

Rama Bob Lee Swagger

4 pts Ecotopia Thorn

New Sun DC Thunder

Dispossessed Yankee23fan

Last Man NJHerdfan

3 pts Snow Crash Chaos Commish

After 28 Rounds

Krista/OH 421

The Moops 342

Frostillicus 340

wikkidpissah 335

BobbyLayne 319

timschochet 317

DougB 307

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 297

Thorn 280

Bob Lee Swagger 277

Chaos Commish 261

Eephus 256

Karma Police 256

DC Thunder 251

Rikishiboy 246

NJHerd 242

Yankee23fan 234

pantagrapher 173

Helltoupee 166

Tremendous Upside 140

Final results for novels about love

20 pts Lolita Tremendous Upside

19 pts Pride and Prejudice Rikishiboy

16 pts Hunchback Moops

High Fidelity Frostillicus

Love Cholera wikkidpissah

15 pts A Farewell to Arms Chaos Commish

10 pts Lady Chatterly DougB

Water Chocolate BobbyLayne

Remains of the Day Krista/OH

English Patient Andy Griffith

Love Story DC Thunder

9 pts Tender is the Night Eephus

6 pts Ada or Ardor pantagrapher

French Lieutenant Yankee23fan

Story of O Thorn

3 pts Memoirs Geisha Karma Police

Lords of Discpline timschochet

Flowers from the Storm Bob Lee Swagger

2 pts Requiem Dream NJHerdfan

Total results after 29 rounds

Krista/OH 431

The Moops 358

Frostillicus 356

wikkidpissah 351

BobbyLayne 329

timschochet 320

DougB 317

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 307

Thorn 286

Bob Lee Swagger 280

Chaos Commish 276

Eephus 265

Rikishiboy 265

DC Thunder 261

Karma Police 259

NJHerd 244

dayum - my pal wikkid needed separation in the love story cat (cant believe your two picks tied his) in order to medal. frosty almost certain to get the silver with slamdunk WC & i cant see wikkid making up 7 pts on you, so the bronze is yours, shmoopsy. well done -

Final Results for Wildcard

18 pts A Prayer for Owen Meany wikkidpissah

The Godfather Frostillicus

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues The Moops

17 pts Go Tell It On The Mountain Krista/OH

12 pts The Executioner’s Song Eephus

Watchmen Bob Lee Swagger

The Guns of the South timschochet

Trainspotting HellToupee

The Natural DougB

6 pts The Razor’s Edge Tremendous Upside

Watchers Rikishiboy

God Knows Chaos Commish

The Unvanquished NJHerdfan

The Screwtape Letters Yankee23fan

Thus Spoke Tharathustra Andy Griffith

3 pts The 13th Valley DC Thunder

The Blind Assassin Karma Police

Liber Norvus pantagrapher

1 pts City of Glass BobbyLayne

Snow White Thorn

Final Results after 30 rounds:

Krista/OH 448

The Moops 376

Frostillicus 374

wikkidpissah 369

timschochet 332

BobbyLayne 330

DougB 329

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith 313

Bob Lee Swagger 292

Thorn 287

Chaos Commish 282

Eephus 277

Rikishiboy 271

DC Thunder 264

Karma Police 262

NJHerd 260

Yankee23fan 246

pantagrapher 182

Helltoupee 178

Tremendous Upside 172

Congratulations to our winners!

1st place: Krista4 and Oliver Humanzee

2nd place: The Moops

3rd place: Frostillicus

Nice work all around! Krista and Oliver were in the lead after 4 polls or so and never looked back. By the 20th poll they were so far ahead there was no catching them, and they continued to score well on every poll.

Thanks to everyone involved in this draft. It's been a lot of fun. I have no idea what the next one will be, but eventually we'll think of something.

Fun draft, really enjoyed the group, and learned a lot.Thanks, timschochet - I appreciate you putting these together.

Agree, your determination to plow through with all the polls is laudable (or borderline OCD)

Fun draft, really enjoyed the group, and learned a lot.Thanks, timschochet - I appreciate you putting these together.

:goodposting:I learned A TON. I'm not all that well-read in long fiction (maybe a novel or two annually since college), but I figured "why not take what I do know about and just jump in?".

:goodposting:I learned A TON. I'm not all that well-read in long fiction (maybe a novel or two annually since college), but I figured "why not take what I do know about and just jump in?".
I have a stack of at least 20 classics I've never read that I've purchased due to this draft.

Archived