What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (4 Viewers)

yeah, its really, really bad.

They basically went through an awful 5 minute sketch to set up Jim Carey singing about boobs for 20 seconds.

I happen to be watching tonight as well for the first time in a long time. Playoff commercials with Jim Carey were interesting enough, coupled with me having no life to speak of on a Saturday night. I'm not setting my DVR to record the series after this.

I happen to be watching tonight as well for the first time in a long time. Playoff commercials with Jim Carey were interesting enough, coupled with me having no life to speak of on a Saturday night. I'm not setting my DVR to record the series after this.
This is the first episode I've seen in a long while myself. I echo your thoughts.

I haven't been able to watch it regularly for a long time. Only when they have a host I really like will I consider it. The ratings can't be good anymore.

I always dvr it and eventually get to it more often than not. I think they have gotten much better since Tina Fey left. I like a lot of current cast members. I was really looking forward to tonight's episode. Now, not so much. Thanks for not letting me hype it up. Won't be too let down now. There's always a couple stinkers a season. It is incredibly hard to write that much live comedy every single week.

watched the first 45 minutes thinking "Jim Carey will be good" UMMM, no. Only SNL writers could make one of the funniest men in America come across as NOT funny.

no reason to watch the show when it is on... if they have a really funny skit it will be a viral video and someone will send you the link.

not sure why you wouldn't just wait for that

SNL has 2 very big problems right now: 1) lack of a versatile "every man" like Phil Hartman and Will Ferrell, 2) really, really bad writers. Tina Fey and Adam McKay were great writers, no longer there.

SNL has 2 very big problems right now: 1) lack of a versatile "every man" like Phil Hartman and Will Ferrell, 2) really, really bad writers. Tina Fey and Adam McKay were great writers, no longer there.
This show hasn't been funny since Hartman was on.

They don't have any star power right now. Even before their movies took off, you could tell that mike meyers, Dana carvey, Adam sandler, belushi, fairly, chase, etc. Were going to be big stars. No one on the show resonates like tat right now.

The show really isn't that bad. The skits need a little work but the digital shorts and weekend update are usually pretty solid.

Well, the Black Keys were worth the time. Pretty incredible sounds for just two guys. (I realize they had help last night, but still.)

And...perhaps I'm the only one who thinks so, but...

That Kenan Williams kid is funny as hell; the Tantra thing had me rolling. Also, the apocofish and aflockolypse bit had some moments. Not many, but some. Samberg has potential.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched SNL in more than ten years, so I had zero expectations. I watched solely for the host and the musical guests.

The show really isn't that bad. The skits need a little work but the digital shorts and weekend update are usually pretty solid.
Generally speaking, yes...but not this week; even WU sucked (although the Pelosi/Boehner bit was funny).Maybe they wore me down, seems like the last three skits were decent. The first 65 minutes was unbearable.

even WU sucked (although the Pelosi/Boehner bit was funny).
it was pretty easy to tell that Jim Downey, who's been with SNL more (he hung out thru the non-Lorne seasons) than even creator Michaels (he hung out thru the non-Lorne seasons) & writes 95% of the political stuff, was still on his Holiday vacation.

it was pretty easy to tell that Jim Downey, who's been with SNL more (he hung out thru the non-Lorne seasons) than even creator Michaels (he hung out thru the non-Lorne seasons) & writes 95% of the political stuff, was still on his Holiday vacation.
SNL has been through dry spells before. You can say the writing is weak, but isn't that on the cast as well?Its my understanding everybody (each cast member) pitches their ideas on Tuesday/Wednesday, and the show develops from there. So what's the turnaround solution? What has happened before when they had weak seasons but rebounded?Something drastic needs to be done. Its not working, and its been broke on a lot of levels for some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:
SNL has been through dry spells before. You can say the writing is weak, but isn't that on the cast as well?Its my understanding everybody (each cast member) pitches their ideas on Tuesday/Wednesday, and the show develops from there. So what's the turnaround solution? What has happened before when they had weak seasons but rebounded?Something drastic needs to be done. Its not working, and its been broke on a lot of levels for some time now.
It comes down to Michaels & creative tension, i think. SNL became what it did cuz Lorne fomented a dynamic tension among his peers, out of which sprung groundbreaking comedy. He's old now & there will never be a cast member who will be his "peer" again because most of em werent even born when he started this thing. That & Will Ferrell are to blame. Ferrell was just too nice and, because of him, the troupe went from competitive to cooperative. Improv used to be a game of oneupsmanship, now its kind of a sharing thing. Good comedy is, at its heart, mean and SNL is and will always be as funny as it is mad & tense behind the scenes.

They don't have any star power right now. Even before their movies took off, you could tell that mike meyers, Dana carvey, Adam sandler, belushi, fairly, chase, etc. Were going to be big stars. No one on the show resonates like tat right now.
Kenan Thompson and Bill Hader are consistently very funny. Kristen Wiig, too.Edit again to get his name right.

Keenan Williams and Bill Hader are consistently very funny.

ETA Kristen Wiig, too.
You mean Kenan Thompson?He would be on my list for most unfunny. :tumbleweed:

Well, the Black Keys were worth the time. Pretty incredible sounds for just two guys. (I realize they had help last night, but still.)

That Kenan Williams kid is funny as hell; the Tantra thing had me rolling. Also, the apocofish and aflockolypse bit had some moments. Not many, but some. Samberg has potential.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched SNL in more than ten years, so I had zero expectations. I watched solely for the host and the musical guests.
Kenan Thompson and Bill Hader are consistently very funny.

Kristen Wiig, too.

Edit again to get his name right.
You guys gotta be kidding. He's easily one of the worst things about the show every week.

Kenan Thompson and Bill Hader are consistently very funny. Kristen Wiig, too.Edit again to get his name right.
I really like Jason Sudeikis (great "versatile every man") and Will Forte (and Hader). I think Kristen Wiig is more annoying than funny half the time. Thought last night was pretty solid. Not great; not bad.

Kristen Wiig, too.

You guys gotta be kidding. He's easily one of the worst things about the show every week.
I can't watch Kenan without being reminded of Good Burger and Nickelodeon's All That, oddly enough another show that was probably better than SNL is now, even though it got on my nerves.

Kristen Wiig, too.

I really like Jason Sudeikis (great "versatile every man") and Will Forte (and Hader). I think Kristen Wiig is more annoying than funny half the time. Thought last night was pretty solid. Not great; not bad.
Forte and Seth Meyers are solid, but Samberg is the only one I think could make it into Sandler territory.BTW, WTF is fairly?

no reason to watch the show when it is on... if they have a really funny skit it will be a viral video and someone will send you the link.not sure why you wouldn't just wait for that
this. SNL has a few great skits but 90% of it sucks

Kristen Wiig, too.

1. I never kid about comedy.2. Terrible that I got his name wrong. I even looked him up!

3. "Every week" means nothing to me. I saw him last night, and the Grady Wilson Tantra thing had me doubled over. What can I say? From what I saw, he is fearless and funny.

4. IMO

Rick James said:
One of the worst cast members ever.By the way, people have been saying that "SNL" sucked since the mid-80's. It's the same as it's ever been.

Rick James said:
One of the worst cast members ever.By the way, people have been saying that "SNL" sucked since the mid-80's. It's the same as it's ever been.
yeah, i was shocked even one person thought Kenan was good. I fast forward each sketch he's in, he always has that goofy look and same accents

Users who are viewing this thread