Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

Christo

Awesome skit. I love The Outfield.

Vanessa Bayer with that big hair made it move.

Really? We're talking about the chick with the insane overbite? I guess she'd be great for opening up pop bottles.

Chalk it up in the oddly attractive category. Not a huge fan of her unless she's has a particular look for a role.

How hot was she in that song skit tonight? Wow.

You tell me.

Hard for me to knock it...only slow part was the Gibb skit...just kinda dragged...

I enjoyed it pretty much all the way through...which goes to show just how decent this show could be...I'd almost given up years ago that this show could be solid anymore.

Too bad we'll now go into a comedic blackhole now for a long time before this happens again.

What's really amazing is that you build up how it'll be solid with Timberlake and it never seems to disappoint...this one knocked it out of the park though.

Interested in the house's opinion: Will anyone on the current cast, outside of Seth Myers, clearly transcend SNL in, say, five years?

I, for one, never saw Kristen Wiig coming ... figured Andy Sandberg would have gotten bigger a lot faster than her. Anyone like them on the current roster?

Interested in the house's opinion: Will anyone on the current cast, outside of Seth Myers, clearly transcend SNL in, say, five years?

I, for one, never saw Kristen Wiig coming ... figured Andy Sandberg would have gotten bigger a lot faster than her. Anyone like them on the current roster?

It's hard to say but I've been very impressed with Kate McKinnon, I think she's the best of what they have currently. On the men's side the only one I could see is Killam - he's good but I don't see him being big either. Almost all of the other men are replaceable IMO and someone really needs to get to the bottom of the blackmail going on with Kenan Thompson and Lorne. Dude is horrible.

I guess I should just stop watching because I was disappointed by the episode. Typical rehash of all the old bits JT has done in the past. Horrible impersonations for the Family Fued skit. More one-note jokes that just stretch an entire skit to get through.

It's hard to say but I've been very impressed with Kate McKinnon, I think she's the best of what they have currently. On the men's side the only one I could see is Killam - he's good but I don't see him being big either. Almost all of the other men are replaceable IMO and someone really needs to get to the bottom of the blackmail going on with Kenan Thompson and Lorne. Dude is horrible.

I could maybe see Jay Pharoah breaking through. They need to get him more involved. Although, most of his funny skits are when he does impressions.

The smart money is on Cecily Strong. She will have the Weekend Update anchor desk to herself in a couple months, and WU is the most reliable launching pad SNL has.

Vanessa Bayer is also a smart bet. She can be weirdly funny, and can pull off any look from pubescent boy to glamorous pop singer.

Taran Killam might break out. He's pretty versatile as a performer and can get laughs as a lead or part of an ensemble. He hacks it up a little with his impressions in sketches, but sometimes performers with a lot of improv experience will go for the big notes to wake up the crowd. He can be quietly funny, too, which can't be said about a few cast members like Bobby Moynihan.

Kate McKinnon IMO relies on bugging her eyes out and tilting her head to get cheap laughs from the live audience the expense of breaking character. Then again, Kristen Wiig went to that hack well all the time and she's having no trouble getting hired.

Beck Bennett has been largely invisible this season other than Baby Body and a couple of digital shorts, but his AT&T roundtable ads with the kindergarteners are hilarious.

The rookie class in general hasn't gotten on much this season. Noel Wells's impressions will keep her around, but that herd probably gets thinned out by next fall.

A long shot possibility is Aidy Bryant. She's pretty clever and specific. Doubt she could open a movie, but she could fit in as part of a workplace sitcom or ensemble comedy.

Also: anyone know whatever happened to the Robert Smigel stuff? TV Funhouse?

discount daaaaa-ble check

Seen those commercials ... but not sure what you're saying.
Robert Smigel is Da Bears fan who isn't Goerge Wendt in those ads. Smigel created those characters when he was at Second Coty Chicago.

If you're a podcast listener, there's a fantastic BS Report from a fee months ago with SNL superfan Bill Simmons interviewing Smigel - funny and insightful, lots of origin stories of SNL sketches and characters from his time there.

Vanessa Bayer is also a smart bet. She can be weirdly funny, and can pull off any look from pubescent boy to glamorous pop singer.

That could make for a decent skit or short. Have Killam dating her and talking about how hot his girlfriend is and everybody else see's her as that Jewish kid from Weekend Update. I think Seinfeld had an episode similar to that.

I guess I should just stop watching because I was disappointed by the episode. Typical rehash of all the old bits JT has done in the past. Horrible impersonations for the Family Fued skit. More one-note jokes that just stretch an entire skit to get through.

Yep. I guess it is time to admit that sketch comedy just isn't your thing and move on to something else. Because that's about as good as it is going to get.

In response to some others, I see Kenon bashed all the time. Don't get the hate. I love me some Kenon. What up with dat?

Yep. I guess it is time to admit that sketch comedy just isn't your thing and move on to something else. Because that's about as good as it is going to get.

Yeah, that's what it is. And to think it took me over 30 years of watching SNL to figure out that sketch comedy isn't for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought she did fairly well, particularly as the Apple nerd without completely overdoing it, and the episode was OK. Her music of course is god awful.

Taran Killam's taken the Phil Hartman role and run with it.. the funniest and most versatile member of the cast, for whatever that's worth in this case. The speech critic was good shtick.

Speech Critic has been great both times.

Robert Smigel is Da Bears fan who isn't Goerge Wendt in those ads. Smigel created those characters when he was at Second Coty Chicago.

If you're a podcast listener, there's a fantastic BS Report from a fee months ago with SNL superfan Bill Simmons interviewing Smigel - funny and insightful, lots of origin stories of SNL sketches and characters from his time there.

Definitely a great listen.

And TV Funhouse left like 15 years ago. Smigel was a writer on the show and now he's not. Not sure what the mystery is.

The smart money is on Cecily Strong. She will have the Weekend Update anchor desk to herself in a couple months, and WU is the most reliable launching pad SNL has.

Taran Killam might break out. He's pretty versatile as a performer and can get laughs as a lead or part of an ensemble. He hacks it up a little with his impressions in sketches, but sometimes performers with a lot of improv experience will go for the big notes to wake up the crowd. He can be quietly funny, too, which can't be said about a few cast members like Bobby Moynihan.

Kate McKinnon IMO relies on bugging her eyes out and tilting her head to get cheap laughs from the live audience the expense of breaking character. Then again, Kristen Wiig went to that hack well all the time and she's having no trouble getting hired.

Beck Bennett has been largely invisible this season other than Baby Body and a couple of digital shorts, but his AT&T roundtable ads with the kindergarteners are hilarious.

The rookie class in general hasn't gotten on much this season. Noel Wells's impressions will keep her around, but that herd probably gets thinned out by next fall.

A long shot possibility is Aidy Bryant. She's pretty clever and specific. Doubt she could open a movie, but she could fit in as part of a workplace sitcom or ensemble comedy.

Pretty good thoughts all around.

I personally like Kyle Mooney the most. I assume that he has been responsible for the majority of the digital short-esque videos, since he is the star. This includes the Miley Cyrus one where she is his girlfriend, the one where he is dancing in his apartment and Beck Bennett becomes his "manager", the one in the fast food restaurant where the cashier keeps having a weird flash forward. For anyone who remembers Norm's short-lived Sports Show, he was Norm's "nephew" who did awkward interviews on the street.

Definitely a great listen.

And TV Funhouse left like 15 years ago. Smigel was a writer on the show and now he's not. Not sure what the mystery is.

TV Funhouse certainly one of the funniest shows ever.

Why does the duck dynasty dude get pilloried and jimmy Fallon is allowed to do a five minute sketch containing vile gay stereotypes without repercussion? This is a weird PC world we live in

I realize this post is a couple of weeks old, but damn dude, I hope this is just shtick. Are you really this political, 100% of the time? What a strange, sad existence.

Am I the only one who hates the "Omelette-ville" sketches? They have never, ever been remotely funny. And it sucks because every time JT hosts a show you know they're going to waste a sketch on that.

I don't even know what that is.

Timberlake in costume on street selling some place. "Bring it on down to somethingorother-ville..."

I certainly don't hate the sketches, but I would agree that they've gotten old.

• 2 weeks later...

Kate McKinnon is a funny version of Kristen Wiig and Taran Killam is the best guy on the show.

Jay Pharoh is damn good as well. Haven't seen enough of the rookies to tell either way.

Edited by HughHoney

Hard to tell if he'll ever transcend but Taran Killam is the real deal

If you had told me 20 years ago Adam Sandler would still be a huge star and Dana Carvey's shining post-SNL moment would be "TURTLE TURTLE", I would have punched you in the face

I didn't see a lot, but Drake is funny.

I thought Drake killed it. The only person who has come close to Timberlake in a long time. His impersonation of Katt Williams was perfect, and I couldn't help but crack up when he was doing his "white guy" skits (Indiana Rahad, Sexy Dad)