Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

Christo

I still don't get venom towards Colin Jost. Is he the greatest WU anchor ever? Of course not. But he can read his lines without messing them up (which we know is not a given for the rest of the cast), his timing is fine and he's generally likable. There's nothing special about him, but he's far from a liability.

Not the best Mark Cuban impersonation ever.

Agreed. Killam is usually pretty good at picking up little idiosyncrasies of his impressionees, but he was a minus there. Cuban is a lot more fidgety and demonstrative when he talks than what Killam gave there, especially when he loves or hates a pitch on Shark Tank. Kenan played Daymond John a bit too prissy IMO.

He didn't even work in a single ", right?" for Cuban. That's how he finishes every other sentence.

Mr. Wonderful wasn't too bad and Barbara was actually pretty good.

Not the best Mark Cuban impersonation ever.

Agreed. Killam is usually pretty good at picking up little idiosyncrasies of his impressionees, but he was a minus there. Cuban is a lot more fidgety and demonstrative when he talks than what Killam gave there, especially when he loves or hates a pitch on Shark Tank. Kenan played Daymond John a bit too prissy IMO.

He didn't even work in a single ", right?" for Cuban. That's how he finishes every other sentence.

Mr. Wonderful wasn't too bad and Barbara was actually pretty good.

:lmao: great call in Cuban. The more agitated he gets, the more "right?"s end his sentences.

I liked how Bennett's Mr Wonderful tossed aside the insult ISIS hurled towards him like O'leary responds to most criticism towards him in the Tank, "That's the fifth time I've heard that today!"

McKinnon's Barbara was pretty good: tone of voice was right, harping on packaging and branding, nitpicking before offering or declaring out.

Anyone watching that sketch without being familiar with Shark Tank probably stared at it stone-faced, but my daughter and I are regular viewers of Shark Tank so I dug it.

ok good- after Bruce D's reply, I thought I just wasn't "getting it".

I'll try to give next week's a watch, if it's really the one you guys all seemed to have liked. But this one was painful.

FWIW, I wasn't taking your post very seriously. It was the equivalent of someone posting "I tried to watch soccer for the first time in ages because you guys said it was good, but it still sucks" in a soccer thread.

ok good- after Bruce D's reply, I thought I just wasn't "getting it".

I'll try to give next week's a watch, if it's really the one you guys all seemed to have liked. But this one was painful.

FWIW, I wasn't taking your post very seriously. It was the equivalent of someone posting "I tried to watch soccer for the first time in ages because you guys said it was good, but it still sucks" in a soccer thread.

not really.

Woody Harrelson hosts tonight. Last time he hosted, "Cheers" was still on the air.

I wonder about a "True Detective" spoof. It seems obvious, but Woody was a by-the-book type of character. Its McConaughey's character that's a much better target. But if the McConaughey shows up (ala Jeff Daniels), it should be funny.

It would be awesome to see a "Cheers" spoof, but I don't know if they have the right kind of talent in the cast to pull it off.

The only reason I haven't changed the channel on this song is because I love the Isley Brothers' "Who's that Lady" sample.

Serious? Kendrick killed it.

I totally agree. I'm 52, not the biggest fan of the genre but I can recognize a great performance when I see one. Loved it. I thought Woody showed great versatility on the show as well. SNL is like a cockroach. Can't kill it.

The only reason I haven't changed the channel on this song is because I love the Isley Brothers' "Who's that Lady" sample.

I totally agree. I'm 52, not the biggest fan of the genre but I can recognize a great performance when I see one. Loved it. I thought Woody showed great versatility on the show as well. SNL is like a cockroach. Can't kill it.

dammit- I like Lamar... meant to watch this.

who was the host again?

dammit- I like Lamar... meant to watch this.

who was the host again?

Woody Harrelson. Kendrick was the highlight of the night.

Never heard of him until 20 minutes ago. :shrug:

I have never heard of him either but I thought he was great. I would definitely check out some of his stuff now.

Never heard of him until 20 minutes ago. :shrug:

I have never heard of him either but I thought he was great. I would definitely check out some of his stuff now.
IMO the best rapper in at least a decade. Maybe more. His last album: Good Kid, MAAD City was a rap classic.

brohans i watched the firs t song that guy did i did not make it to the second because i fell asleep but i will say this i do not listen to that type of music but that guy was good and his drummer was kicking teh hell out of it back there and i even told my wife about how much i liked the drummer i like it when i see something like it that makes me think different about a type of music so bam good on that guy and i will support him take that to the bank brohans

Big fan of this week's Weekend Update.

That Biz Markie chick cracked me up with that crazy chimney biitch sketch.

True Detective skit was money.

Update and Kendrick made this episode more than worth the time, regardless of the rest of the skits.

Have said this before but don't know why they don't sprinkle in the long-list of alumni every season. Let Norm or Kevin Nealon do weekend update once a year. Do Delicious Dish once a year at Christmas. Have Spade do a Hollywood Minute come award season.

Lot of these actors have nothing going on. Enough classic characters that seeing them once every few years would not be overkill.

Most interesting part of the show is how good the hair they put on Woody during the game show. Impressive.

That and Cecily Strong is all of the sudden is hot again.

Show was a snore. Let's put all the Hunger Games people out there and have them do nothing. Come on.

Taran Killam is great. Can't be said enough.

He's a dud.

Other than the Cecily Strong comment, I could not disagree more with all of this. She looked great in that Match'd skit.

The Chris Rock ep was really terrible and had me having serious doubts about this cast and group of writers, though a part of it was just that Rock is not that comfortable in these sketches (his new movie looks pretty good though).

But I thought that the Woody episode was the best of the season. The opening was great, especially with Woody and Jennifer Lawrence, the New Day thing was great, the Match'd parody was a great idea even if a little of the execution fell flat, the Duets, the guys in the bar with Woody bringing up crack, plus WU with the Leslie Jones monologue.

I have heard people in interviews talk about how relaxed the working atmosphere has become in the past several years, as opposed to the insane, competitive pressure cooker for most of its years. I wondered if any of that was contributing the sloppiness in the performing and writing, but this last episode was really pretty good. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.

I definitely think that this season (maybe starting last season) has seen a much harder edge to it. Between Pete Davidson and Leslie Jones's WU bits, Woody's song about doing drugs, and others, there are things that I would never have expected to hear on SNL. It had a little bit of a Seinfeld-ish way of dealing with racy topics. I like this pushing the envelope more.

I also think that people are a little too nostalgic about the past. I assume that the episodes on at 10:00 have a few sketches cut out, so you are only seeing the best. Even they have duds. I was psyched to see the Steve Martin one a few weeks back, but the last few sketches were not that great. I did like the part with him and Gilda Radner dancing through the whole studio. I was thinking that things like that, a little more out of the box, would be great way to help the current show, which at times feels stale with the format. The Carrey dancing skit did just that, and I thought that it was great.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Agree that last weekend's episode was the best of the season.

And since that bar is pretty low, I'll even go as far to say that last week's epsiode was straight up very good.

Only the very last sketch was a stinker but the rest of the show was well written and well done. Been a long time since I can say that. Hopefully these new kids are hitting their stride.

Repeat tonight with Chris Rock and Prince. Huge LOL at Prince and his 3 eye sunglasses. http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2014/article/watch-princes-incredible-eight-minute-snl-medley-20141102/173319/large_rect/1414935394/1401x788-Screen%20Shot%202014-11-02%20at%207.15.09%20AM.png

and his horrible 8 minute song assault on us. I am sure he got nothing but accolades, but if anyone other than Prince did that, it would get killed. Just brutal.