What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

That was kind of my impression. Who knew comedians were such divas.

It was pretty easy to see who still had it though. Is John Goodman ill or was he drunk? Bill Murray didn't do much either. No comedy that I can recall. Definitely takes himself way too seriously now. Martin Short of all people just killed it. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey need to do another Wayne's World movie. They were right on point.

I think the funniest part of the show is when Kayne jumped up the second time and then Myers jumped up too like he was startled. Cracked me right up. Just the look of fight or flight he gave. He needs to do some more movies.
Did you miss the Jaws song?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I didn't think it was very funny but at least he did something.

Fallon told a great story about the after party performances...good stuff:

http://youtu.be/e0XleMIKKNg

A quick peek of Sir Paul/Swift/Fallon, Debby Harry, and Prince's performances

http://youtu.be/v-YJ2UzNyPI

There's obviously good quality video of all it, its gotta surface soon.
That after party would have been awesome to attend. I think my invitation must have got lost in the mail.

People often like to rag on Taylor Swift but I think she would be fun to hang around. Even Prince with an impromptu song. When he is done, Fallen should write a book with all his stories he has and is going to gather over the years.

It was pretty easy to see who still had it though. Is John Goodman ill or was he drunk? Bill Murray didn't do much either. No comedy that I can recall. Definitely takes himself way too seriously now. Martin Short of all people just killed it. Mike Myers and Dana Carvey need to do another Wayne's World movie. They were right on point.

I think the funniest part of the show is when Kayne jumped up the second time and then Myers jumped up too like he was startled. Cracked me right up. Just the look of fight or flight he gave. He needs to do some more movies.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I didn't think it was very funny but at least he did something.
I thought it was hilarious and Bill gave it his all.

Eddie Murphy was given such a great intro, got a standing ovation from the crowd and it just seemed like such a great moment. Maybe something pivotal, like he might be able to have a comeback and revive his career. Then he just kinda craps on the moment. So odd.
That's why I mentioned 'angry' Eddie...even if he wasn't in the mood to perform...how hard would it have been to get pissed off on stage?

I watched the red carpet junk and Eddie seemed totally cool and gracious in that interview. Same goes for Chevy Chase, actually, who struck me as fully contrite (and sadly looks like he's about to kick the bucket)

I think they pretty much got what they were given

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Murray spent the better part of a year sofa surfing and crashing parties of random people that emailed him. No way does he take himself too seriously.

I'm sure others caught this as it aired, but I'm just now remembering that Mike Myers was standing next to Kanye when he famously said "George Bush doesn't care about black people". I'm sure Mike's "sit down Kanye" was playing off that as well as his stunts at the Grammy's.

The Wayne's World sketch was cool. Loved that bit in the day and have always been a huge Mike Myers fan. The Sandler and Sandberg digital short was good too.

Not sure anyone mentioned it, but Keenan's Cosby as the video Jeopardy question on Potent Potables might have been the funniest moment in the show.

"We filmed that in June"

:lmao:

Not sure anyone mentioned it, but Keenan's Cosby as the video Jeopardy question on Potent Potables might have been the funniest moment in the show.

"We filmed that in June"

:lmao:
That was probably the funniest "new" thing they did. Standing there shaking that drink, talking jibberish in his stupid sweater :lmao:

The whole Jeopardy bit was the funniest stuff of the night for me. My initial reaction after watching the show was that there should have been more Will Ferrell but I think that was because he played the straight man (Trebek) throughout his longest appearance. I thought McDonald, Carrey and Hammond all killed it.

I love Bill Murray but he could basically poop on stage and most people would call it great performance art and line up for a lick at this point. I thought several others were much better than him.

Eddie Murphy was given such a great intro, got a standing ovation from the crowd and it just seemed like such a great moment. Maybe something pivotal, like he might be able to have a comeback and revive his career. Then he just kinda craps on the moment. So odd.
Murphy's appearance was very odd . . . wonder if they had to cut it due to time constraints. Although that's not the part I would chose to cut.

Murphy's appearance was very odd . . . wonder if they had to cut it due to time constraints. Although that's not the part I would chose to cut.
The show was aired live except for mountain and west.

The show was aired live except for mountain and west.
Yeah, I know, that's why they might have had to cut it.

If anyone cut it short, it was Murphy himself. He was telling the crew he was done and trying to figure out how to smoothly exit to commercial.

It was strange with him and Seinfeld's cut to commercial. The crew didn't seem to pick up on queues that they were done talking.

It really seemed like they were given free reign to say and do whatever and SNL was just happy to have them there.

the californians sketch has already been ripped to shreds in here, right?

on a night when so many things and people were just too short- that thing went on for freaking ever.

on a night when so many things and people were just too short- that thing went on for freaking ever.
Like the Jeopardy sketch, it was a vehicle to get as many people on stage as possible in a single sketch. Unlike the Jeopardy sketch, it was horrible. Taylor Swift sounded like she was doing the Swedish Chef.

Like the Jeopardy sketch, it was a vehicle to get as many people on stage as possible in a single sketch. Unlike the Jeopardy sketch, it was horrible. Taylor Swift sounded like she was doing the Swedish Chef.
Taylor Swift can do no wrong.

anyone thing Fallon and Justin could just do a show themselves? sprinkle in samburg
When Timberlake's last album came out, he was on Fallon's show every night for a week. They destroyed. Their history of rap medleys they do go viral, but also check out from that week when Fallon (as Michael McDonald), Timberlake (as Michael McDonald), and Michael McDonald (as Michael McDonald) sang "Row, Row, Row Your Boat".

Some of you guys will ##### and moan about anything. This thread has been so sad to read the last couple of days. Why critique a fun once in a lifetime show like that so harshly? Why focus so much on what you perceive to be the negative stuff? They threw together a 3 and a half hour show with a hundred or so people taking part and some here a whining that the technical cues weren't perfect? To quote William Shatner in that Star Trek sketch, get a life! And if you didn't think the Bill Murray Nick Ocean lounge singer Jaws song was funny then really your opinion about anything should never be taken seriously again. Just an awful display here the last few days. Terrible. Just no satisfying some people.

I'd like to give a shout-out to the guy holding a gun to Willie Neslon's head, forcing him to read this thread and comment on it.

Some of you guys will ##### and moan about anything. This thread has been so sad to read the last couple of days. Why critique a fun once in a lifetime show like that so harshly? Why focus so much on what you perceive to be the negative stuff? They threw together a 3 and a half hour show with a hundred or so people taking part and some here a whining that the technical cues weren't perfect? To quote William Shatner in that Star Trek sketch, get a life! And if you didn't think the Bill Murray Nick Ocean lounge singer Jaws song was funny then really your opinion about anything should never be taken seriously again. Just an awful display here the last few days. Terrible. Just no satisfying some people.
dude, it's a message board. It's for discussion. And giving opinions. The comments have been largely positive. If someone doesn't like something, should he hesitate to comment because thin-skinned Willie Nelson might get butthurt by it? Get a grip.

Watching again. They should have had Martin and Akroyd do the wild and crazy guys as old men. Would have played a hundred times better than Akroyd doing the bassomatic word for word

Bass o matic sketch was rough (I think mostly because we're immune to the absurd) but the rest of the show was awesome. I agree with Willie.

Bass o matic sketch was rough (I think mostly because we're immune to the absurd) but the rest of the show was awesome. I agree with Willie.
YepCalifornians wasn't great throughout but I still laughed at some of it.

Overall,I loved it. So many great memories from that show.

It was great overall. Like a walk down memory lane. Wayne's world had me just staring at the screen with a grin on my face. Loved celebrity Jeopardy (wife got the Who reads right away and I got Let it Snow) so we high fived. It was bittersweet as well seeing how comedy is largely a young man's game. The shot of Phil Hartman and Chris Rock cuddling on the stage always hits me in the gut. Two of my very favorites.

It was great overall. Like a walk down memory lane. Wayne's world had me just staring at the screen with a grin on my face. Loved celebrity Jeopardy (wife got the Who reads right away and I got Let it Snow) so we high fived. It was bittersweet as well seeing how comedy is largely a young man's game. The shot of Phil Hartman and Chris Rock cuddling on the stage always hits me in the gut. Two of my very favorites.
Did you mean to say that SNL is largely a Lorne looking for young, undiscovered talent game?

The shot of Phil Hartman and Chris Rock cuddling on the stage always hits me in the gut. Two of my very favorites.
Chris Farley...but yea a touching scene.

Also the short of Belushi in disguise as an old man and saying 'everyone assumed I'd die young'.

Yeah, the not ready for primetime cemetery with belushi referring to everyone thinking he'd be the first to go, when he was the first to go (i think he was before gilda) was creepy yet so appropriate. As if they foresaw the occasion to use it. Then the Lovitz and Generalissimo bits to cap it off. :lmao:

Simmons BS Report recapping the show was a good listen. Agreed, the special really short-changed **** Ebersol.

Figured out what Simmons meant by "inside baseball" when referring to the "You're Simply the Best" parody digital short. Was a call-back to the Tina Turner sketch they were accused of stealing earlier in the season.

If you are haven't already check out @normmacdonald twitter timeline right now. Tells a great story about the SNL 40 episode. Deals with Eddie Murphy and Celebrity Jeopardy among other things. Apparently the plan was to have Murphy play Kenan's role as Cosby at the end and bring down the house but Eddie declined.

Watching again. They should have had Martin and Akroyd do the wild and crazy guys as old men. Would have played a hundred times better than Akroyd doing the bassomatic word for word
Eh. They just did that a couple of years ago with the #### in a Box guys.

Go read Norm MacDonald's twitter timeline starting about 3hrs back. Thank me later

That ####### man is a genius, and one of my top 3 fave comedians ever.

What a story teller.

Eta - missed this mentioned above

If you are haven't already check out @normmacdonald twitter timeline right now. Tells a great story about the SNL 40 episode. Deals with Eddie Murphy and Celebrity Jeopardy among other things. Apparently the plan was to have Murphy play Kenan's role as Cosby at the end and bring down the house but Eddie declined.
Love Norm. Fascinating behind the scenes stuff.

Eh. They just did that a couple of years ago with the #### in a Box guys.
lolwut
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2846780
Ah -- did not see that. I thought he meant that **** in a Box was a reprise of Two Wild and Crazy Guys.

Users who are viewing this thread