What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Golden Globes Thread*** (1 Viewer)

:lmao:

Tilda Swinton is very odd looking

and Geoffrey Rush kind of looks like the creepy 6 flags guy in this outfit he's wearing

"televisual"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of the the major award winners. The Social Network was overrated, I have no interest in watching Glee and I stopped watching Boardwalk Empire after two episodes.

And Gervais treated us to the best attempt at career suicide since "Uma...Oprah."
he did the same thing last year and they brought him right back.
:lmao: Major differences: - never underestimate the self-importance of hollywood types.- hollywood, at least tacictly, has seemed to jump on the "anti-anti" bandwagon partially brought on by the Tucson shooting.- never underestimate the self-importance of hollywood types.I thought he was brilliant- but wow, he did go awfully far with things. (the scientologist/I love you phillip morris comparison... :shock: )

Never seen Gervais before. Read the jokes first. Most seemed really funny on paper. Saw the clip and they seemed alot less funny being delivered from him. He seemed very awkward, nervous, and the timing seemed off. A very uncomfortable audience, I'm sure, played into that, but still, I didn't notice any talent on display.

I'm sure most won't pay any attention to the absence of any sort of delivery skills, so this seems like an outstanding career move for him. If don't have much talent, being noteworthy is a very good idea.

Never seen Gervais before. Read the jokes first. Most seemed really funny on paper. Saw the clip and they seemed alot less funny being delivered from him. He seemed very awkward, nervous, and the timing seemed off. A very uncomfortable audience, I'm sure, played into that, but still, I didn't notice any talent on display. I'm sure most won't pay any attention to the absence of any sort of delivery skills, so this seems like an outstanding career move for him. If don't have much talent, being noteworthy is a very good idea.
:goodposting: he's very successful and killed last night.

Never seen Gervais before. Read the jokes first. Most seemed really funny on paper. Saw the clip and they seemed alot less funny being delivered from him. He seemed very awkward, nervous, and the timing seemed off. A very uncomfortable audience, I'm sure, played into that, but still, I didn't notice any talent on display. I'm sure most won't pay any attention to the absence of any sort of delivery skills, so this seems like an outstanding career move for him. If don't have much talent, being noteworthy is a very good idea.
Bait? Anyways he's pretty much considered a comedic god by a lot people in the FFA.

he's a very talented comedian and comic actor. he's done some very fine stand up with two HBO specials already. he's got a terrific hbo show on the air now with stephen merchant that is usually damn funny. he and merchant were the brains behind the original "the office" and "extras". he's pretty awesome.

:) he's very successful and killed last night.
:goodposting: Pollard is fishing.

:goodposting: he's very successful and killed last night.
Maybe he is. Like I said, I'd never heard his voice until about 20 minutes ago. I'm no comedic talent scout either. Just my observation on watching the jokes. He seemed very awkward in his delivery and lacked anything resembling the confidence I'd expect from a really talented comedian. Sure, it'd take a huge pair of brass balls to delivery those lines to that audience with confidence, but he's the one that chose to do it and it didn't seem like he did it very well to me.I gathered that he's done well for himself, I remember seeing some show's baring his name as I flip through the channels. I'm sure last night was a success for him and will certainly help his career. He did something very noteworthy last night. He just didn't seem like a very talented comedian to me though.

so you've jumped to the "no talent" conclusion based on seeing the Golden Globes? based on that logic, since this is the first time I've read one of your comments, I'll assume I shouldn't listen to you.

"Next up, Eva Longoria has the daunting task of introducing the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press," "That's nothing, I just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in. It was messy."

Didn't mean to offend, fellas, and certainly not fishing.

I'm quite unfamiliar with this guy's career. I'd seen him before, but never really watched/listened to his work. I do recall noting how much he looked like Eddie Izzard. I didn't realize being unfamiliar with Gervais' body of work was so unthinkable.

So, sorry for the confusion. No fishing. Just ignorance and, apparently, an inability to spot a comedic genius when I see it.

Didn't mean to offend, fellas, and certainly not fishing.I'm quite unfamiliar with this guy's career. I'd seen him before, but never really watched/listened to his work. I do recall noting how much he looked like Eddie Izzard. I didn't realize being unfamiliar with Gervais' body of work was so unthinkable. So, sorry for the confusion. No fishing. Just ignorance and, apparently, an inability to spot a comedic genius when I see it.
you've never watched The Office?

so you've jumped to the "no talent" conclusion based on seeing the Golden Globes? based on that logic, since this is the first time I've read one of your comments, I'll assume I shouldn't listen to you.
You are right, I shouldn't have generalized.He didn't seem like an overly talented comedian based on what I saw from last night. Maybe he's usually better than that. Makes sense.

Didn't mean to offend, fellas, and certainly not fishing.I'm quite unfamiliar with this guy's career. I'd seen him before, but never really watched/listened to his work. I do recall noting how much he looked like Eddie Izzard. I didn't realize being unfamiliar with Gervais' body of work was so unthinkable. So, sorry for the confusion. No fishing. Just ignorance and, apparently, an inability to spot a comedic genius when I see it.
I've seen The Office (US). Don't recall Gervais. I assume you mean he's in the British version. I haven't seen that.

I've seen The Office (US). Don't recall Gervais. I assume you mean he's in the British version. I haven't seen that.
well, he created the show and the main character. if you're a fan of the US show, you have to give him tons of credit for it.

well, he created the show and the main character. if you're a fan of the US show, you have to give him tons of credit for it.
He would deserve plenty of credit for that. I don't doubt his creative abilities. In my initial post, I commented that the jokes last night were very funny on paper. It was the delivery that I didn't think was very good.

You are right, I shouldn't have generalized.He didn't seem like an overly talented comedian based on what I saw from last night. Maybe he's usually better than that. Makes sense.
i will admit to his stand up delivery is not for everyone. he's got a really loose, jokey manner of delivery. he can seem to take delight in the joke before hitting the punchline. for those that like gervais, this is part of what makes him entertaining. he's like a little kid up there sometimes.

I don't doubt his creative abilities. In my initial post, I commented that the jokes last night were very funny on paper. It was the delivery that I didn't think was very good.
that's fine, but it wasn't much different than anything else he does. it's his style. maybe it doesn't work for you, but most think he's hilarious.

Gervias had flat out said he didn't know why they asked him back and he was going to make it so they wouldn't again. Looks like he decided to go for the jugular. Last year he was tame and safe, generally playing by the rules. There was a very different tone tonight, one that felt like he had a serious bone to pick with Hollywood.

great stuff last night

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Gervais had a bit more edge to him...the only line that I think was a bit ill-fitted for the evening was the Cruise/Travolta line.

I got a huge kick out of the Tim Allen/Bruce Willis busts....hilarious!

Users who are viewing this thread